Is anyone else not entirely convinced by the Horse Hoarders plight?

joeanne

Visit site
I wonder if those people who are so keen to donate and feel like he is some kind of celebrity have seen the things that the documentary did not feel necessary to show?

Like this for instance? :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rspca/8365018496/in/photostream

In all honestly Moomin that could be any old horse. There is nothing on that saying its his.
I think there is fault on all sides here.
The RSPCA could have handled that a whole lot better (particularly the loading of the pony).
Michelle could stop exploiting the old man, and instead of charging him £35 a week livery, she could geld and sell the colts (and the stallion producing them).
Oh and somebody could involve SS and try and sort that poor sods living arrangments out...whether he likes it or not!

Moomin1

Visit site
Oh my god someone on the fb site is actually wondering if they can get Princess Anne or Zara Phillips to support their cause!! :eek::eek:

Are they for real?

Moomin1

Visit site
In all honestly Moomin that could be any old horse. There is nothing on that saying its his.
I think there is fault on all sides here.
The RSPCA could have handled that a whole lot better (particularly the loading of the pony).
Michelle could stop exploiting the old man, and instead of charging him £35 a week livery, she could geld and sell the colts (and the stallion producing them).
Oh and somebody could involve SS and try and sort that poor sods living arrangments out...whether he likes it or not!

The RSPCA issued a statement along with that photo on their site. I promise you, it is genuine, and one of the horses involved in the prosecution.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Oh and somebody could involve SS and try and sort that poor sods living arrangments out...whether he likes it or not![/QUOTE]

I did explain earlier in the thread which laws can be used and they do not seem appropriate from what I've read on this thread. It does sound as if he could be evicted by the landowner, or possibly the 1948 national assistance act could be used to clean the property up, if it is as insanitary as it sounds. Things cannot be done to people and their housing 'whether they like it or not'.

guesstimation

Visit site
The darting and loading was all done under a vets supervision. Darting may look terrible, but it really is imperitive in some situations. Lots of people have commented on here about the fact it took a long time to actually take any effect. The sedative can, when adrenalin levels are very high in some horses take a long time to take effect, whereas in others it may work immediately. Personally I think it was worse when that Michelle was pulling the tail to try and get it in! She clearly doesn't realise that it is a continuation of the spine!

The darting isn't the issue for me it's the fact there shouldn't have been any need to dart the pony in the first place, with people correctly trained in dealing with feral ponies and a well thought out plan and equipment set up etc it is possible to load such ponies in a much less stressful manner.

BeesKnees

Visit site
Or he could have accepted he needed help, stopped sitting eating his lunch and laughing whilst the horse he 'loved' became distressed and had to be darted, and HELPED?!

Honestly the thing is a bloody farce. And people now rushing to send money are simply enabling a very unsatisfactory situation to continue.

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Or he could have accepted he needed help, stopped sitting eating his lunch and laughing whilst the horse he 'loved' became distressed and had to be darted, and HELPED?!

Honestly the thing is a bloody farce. And people now rushing to send money are simply enabling a very unsatisfactory situation to continue.

On the FB page, somebody has written to DIY SOS to sort his house out! They must have forgot he squats there!

fizzer

Visit site
I think it is sad that he lives in a squalor BUT to find out its not even his house or land is shocking.

Would he have so many horses if he had to A) pay rent or B) buy some land. NO......

This is what annoys me, I know lots of people that would love to own their own horse, land and house but can not afford. They do not just find a derelict farm and squat.

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I think it is sad that he lives in a squalor BUT to find out its not even his house or land is shocking.

Would he have so many horses if he had to A) pay rent or B) buy some land. NO......

This is what annoys me, I know lots of people that would love to own their own horse, land and house but can not afford. They do not just find a derelict farm and squat.

And then get 52 horses! Irresponsible

competitiondiva

Visit site
Wow a thread where people are singing off the same hymn sheet. How refreshing!!! I thought the country had finally gone mad until I read this! Oh and moomin you made my night with that 'emancipation' miss type!!!! Loll

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
They have just threatened to remove me from their facebook page just because I mentioned I was concerned about the horses being sold instead of adopted.

I'm not sure I'm looking at the right one- the Wrexham one? I was surprised the coloured is £500, if you're looking at the same one.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
My mother lives a little like this too, she is intelligent, articulate and wealthy (as in has enough money to go and buy a small house outright!), yet she chooses to live in a static caravan behind her friend's indoor school. Lots of people who know of her but don't know her ask me why she is there. I don't have the answer and I never will, I know one thing though, if my mother makes her choice nobody changes her mind.

I didn't watch the show because it would not have been a balanced view, but from what I have heard the chap needs his psychological issues sorting out first and foremost.

He needs all his colts' balls chopping off first :D And I don't believe he is a hoarder.

Moomin1

Visit site
Wow a thread where people are singing off the same hymn sheet. How refreshing!!! I thought the country had finally gone mad until I read this! Oh and moomin you made my night with that 'emancipation' miss type!!!! Loll

Ha ha!! I have new iphone and I'm no good with all this new fangled technology and predictive text stuff! Was mortified when I realised - thank god I spotted it quickly! :eek::D

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Yes that was one of them.:(

I wonder what the people on the fb site would think if that picture was put up!

Thank god people here can see it for what it is, was beginning to lose faith in humanity reading some of the fb support for him.

Shocking! That's not just a bit lacking in worming etc

Moomin1

Visit site
Photo has been put on the support facebook page. I could see it on there

Good stuff.

No doubt of course it will get poo-pooed as fake or photo shopped or some rubbish like that! :rolleyes:

At least if it gives a little insight into the other side of the coin and the real story then it may do some good.

FionaM12

Visit site
Someone has posted Moomin's photo on the Fb page and the only comment says "poor Clwyd!"

eta (by Moomin's photo I mean the one Moomin posted here, btw! :D Not a photo belonging to or of Moomin. ;))

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Someone has posted Moomin's photo on the Fb page and the only comment says "poor Clwyd!"

Yes I know! :rolleyes:

The disease she is talking about on that comment is mainly caused by chronic excessive worm burden, and no they don't always lose condition within days, it is usually chronic weight loss.