Pictures Is she looking better... 5 months later

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
True but I think it's ok for people to give an opinion on a photo if that is what they are specifically asked to do, I would have thought everyone knows that they give very limited information for a moving item and therefore any opinion/assessment given is limited because of that.

Littlebear

Visit site
I think the negative dap can be telling BUT there are horses at the Olympics with negative dap and you wouldn't know without still shots at the right time, horses body shapes and types can have a huge effect - I had a pre that you could take photos of and she would like she was at grand prix she would naturally take so much weight behind and was so uphill and light in the contact, then I have a Hanoverian who is very long, totally different body but much more strong and advanced than the pre that was many levels higher competition wise but from a still shot you wouldn't believe it!
The second pic you posted would lead people to draw an opinion that she shows negative dap, is tight and tense and pulled into a contact but these moments in time are just that and a video would be much more helpful to get a true picture of what needs some work.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
It's silly to say "She looks tense/unhappy/upset" bla bla bla from a few pictures.

I'm sure if we all had someone film us there would be MULTIPLE times when our own horses aren't trotting along beautifully and freely with their ears pricked looking like they're loving life. It's a split second in time.

I think the “moment in time argument” has run its course on social media.

If that’s the best photo the OP has selected for comparison, then that’s all anyone has to go on and therefore those comments belong to that moment in time.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
it would be nice if people didn’t start to jump on the “judgemental” soapbox, because the OP asked for opinions and most replies (judges) have been helpful. Id be very happy with most of the replies if I’d have posted that. The OP seemed pragmatic in how she responded.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I agree with above the op has stated that she is not that experienced so would not necessarily pick up on the tension on the 2nd picture, as the photos where to show how the horses body shape has changed you can see a difference, you can often get the odd picture where ears are back and the horse is a bit hollow it happens, the 3rd picture is much better and it obviously proves the horse is not running round looking tense and uncomfortable like picture 2 all of the time, fwiw I think the rider has a decent position in the picture and op has already said it's a lot of horse for her daughter.

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's silly to say "She looks tense/unhappy/upset" bla bla bla from a few pictures.

I'm sure if we all had someone film us there would be MULTIPLE times when our own horses aren't trotting along beautifully and freely with their ears pricked looking like they're loving life. It's a split second in time.

The point isn't that the horse looks tense in that photo - the point is that this particular photo was chosen as a demonstration of the improvement in the horse's way of going. It isn't a good demonstration of improvement, because the horse is tense and not overly correct in it. It may be that the photo isn't representative and that it's a momentary blip in its relaxation - but generally, someone with a good eye for what you want in a schooled horse would dismiss the "tense" photo and seek a better one before posting on here. Because the OP did choose to post this photo, it suggests that her eye needs a bit more development in what's desirable - and this is really important if she's watching and helping / encouraging her daughter around her lessons. That's not critical of the OP - all of us need to work on these things, and improve on aspects of our understanding!

Pippity

Visit site
I think the negative dap can be telling BUT there are horses at the Olympics with negative dap and you wouldn't know without still shots at the right time, horses body shapes and types can have a huge effect - I had a pre that you could take photos of and she would like she was at grand prix she would naturally take so much weight behind and was so uphill and light in the contact, then I have a Hanoverian who is very long, totally different body but much more strong and advanced than the pre that was many levels higher competition wise but from a still shot you wouldn't believe it!
The second pic you posted would lead people to draw an opinion that she shows negative dap, is tight and tense and pulled into a contact but these moments in time are just that and a video would be much more helpful to get a true picture of what needs some work.

I've been racking my tiny brain - what's 'dap'?

Apercrumbie

Visit site
i would like to say that OP has taken all of the (sometimes unkind) remarks very well. this is a young person whose mother is asking about the horses condition and i think we all need to be aware of that and not be so judgemental and give the daughter credit for her riding which looks pretty good to me.

Agreed - also OP's daughter is only 13 and riding a large horse, she looks to be doing well to me. The 2nd picture isn't pretty yet - I have a feeling that she isn't truly off the leg yet as she's looking a bit backwards and not stepping through. I imagine the instructor is getting your daughter to do lots of transitions to help with this - when she's more responsive, walk to canter, canter to walk then halt to canter and canter to halt are very useful in getting them to really lift and use themselves (as long as they're done properly!). When you have a small rider on a big horse, it's very important to get them responsive.

AandK

Visit site
I read the OP as that she wanted opinions on whether the physical condition of the horse had improved.

But that's how you read it. To me, it reads as a general overall improvement (which would include physical condition and way of going).

"Two pictures, 5 months apart. To my untrained eye she looks better but any comments welcome. Does she look as different as I think she does? "

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I genuinely don't think anyone has criticised the daughters riding at all, more that everyone has learning they can do/information they can take on board.

I also think the OP has been around HHO for long enough albeit I don't think for a while, to know that she would get people's honest opinions and wouldn't have asked for them were they not wanted.

To me if the OP only wanted an opinion on the change in physical condition a still photo would have done that :) I presumed so chose to post an action shot for a reason :).

whiteflower

Visit site
I rarely reply to these sort of threads but on this occasion thought I my have something to comment that my be of use to the op. The op asked for an opinion and I have her my 2p's worth in a pleasant manner in order to try and help. You then get told your criticizing and should be looking at your own riding etc etc.....
Is it any wonder people ask why they don't get many replies and people are put off giving an opinion......and it is just that, an opinion

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I rarely reply to these sort of threads but on this occasion thought I my have something to comment that my be of use to the op. The op asked for an opinion and I have her my 2p's worth in a pleasant manner in order to try and help. You then get told your criticizing and should be looking at your own riding etc etc.....
Is it any wonder people ask why they don't get many replies and people are put off giving an opinion......and it is just that, an opinion

I really don't think moc was aiming that at you - you're post was very fair, balanced and nicely put I thought.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

certainly wasn't aimed at you who, yours was a balanced and useful reply to the OP. I stand by what I said though.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
So many knowledgeable people on here, I hope you have taken the comments well OP! Very constructive and explains how an even trot should look like (the V).

Can I jump on this post and ask the opinions regarding my horses way of going, my mare is a lovely work in progress and we are getting to know each other in the 6 months I have had her.

From previously being a ‘happy hacker’, I’m now having to learn how to ride at the age of nearly 50 😳 my daughter is in this picture, who is a lovely rider.

Attachments

• 6599EFA6-3CD1-4D33-9F26-41F8A0BC9801.jpeg
    6599EFA6-3CD1-4D33-9F26-41F8A0BC9801.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 152

be positive

Visit site
So many knowledgeable people on here, I hope you have taken the comments well OP! Very constructive and explains how an even trot should look like (the V).

Can I jump on this post and ask the opinions regarding my horses way of going, my mare is a lovely work in progress and we are getting to know each other in the 6 months I have had her.

From previously being a ‘happy hacker’, I’m now having to learn how to ride at the age of nearly 50 😳 my daughter is in this picture, who is a lovely rider.

I would like to see the saddle a couple of inches further back, it seems to be a common problem, the riders hands several inches further forward and higher, I know it is a moment in time but it does look as if the front end is being held and in turn that is restricting the hindleg coming through as it should so there is a lack of push, getting her softer and more through should allow the topline to build up more, nice type of horse.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I would like to see the saddle a couple of inches further back, it seems to be a common problem, the riders hands several inches further forward and higher, I know it is a moment in time but it does look as if the front end is being held and in turn that is restricting the hindleg coming through as it should so there is a lack of push, getting her softer and more through should allow the topline to build up more, nice type of horse.

Thank you for your comments be positive, duly noted regarding the saddle, will adopt a more forward and higher hand when I’m riding (hopefully I do, but would be far to nervous to post a picture of me riding at the moment 🙈).

She’s a lovely type of horse and I’m really enjoying getting to know her, my first Warmblood eekk 😳