Is there a breed of horse you really hate?!

somethingorother

Visit site
Aw, i don't think i could hate any particular breed. I prefer some more than others but i would like to think i can appreciate a good example of any breed. I'm definitely an Arab person, but i love looking at a good heavy, native, warmblood, tb etc. I love watching hairies with their feathers flying at shows.

I couldn't have a hairy though because they only look like that 1% of the time. The less hair the better IMO, especially when combined with mud.

I dislike the french heavies a lot, they look like their heads should tip them over. But they're bred for a job and i guess they're good at it.

What i dislike most is cremellos. I find them a bit creepy. Even though i've known some very sweet ones. Just not for me, could never have one.

I never understand the hate i see expressed in the horsey world regarding breeds. A good horse is a good horse, aint it?

frazzled

Visit site
Fine coloured horses that seem to be the fashion at the moment, everyone at shows seems to have one so what was once a unique sight is now like looking at a field of cows trotting around the show ring.
Section A's - no real reason, I just don't see the point if them
^^^^Agree, lol :)

OMG you would hate mine and he's a "sportshorse". Am deeply offended :) :) :)

Don't hate any breeds but there are certainly ones I would never want to own or that just don't appeal.

dsykes

Visit site
I don't hate any breed BUT
I don't get:
miniatures
show ponies with their fine legs and teeny tiny heads
Some Welsh cobs - too big & not cobby
Icelandics - nonedescript funny things with strange gaits
'Modern' Arabs

I used to own an Arab , he was 15.2 , with good bone , a beautiful but not exagerrated head . He was reliable , swift & steady . We used to do long distance and I could take him anywhere .
I now have Exmoors - I'm surprised they haven't (yet) appeared on this list

HumBugsey

Visit site
For me it's mostly subsets of breeds and then the modern fasination with adding height and flash so that's:

Modern friesiens- All legs and neck with a slight barrel, couldn't do a days work in thier lives. Full of genetic disorders. Give me a true baroque one any day but I would never buy a modern one.

Same with modern shires and clydesdales- The showing world has become obsessed with height, flash and feather and has sacrificed the temperament. A lot of modern ones couldn't work the land either.

I'm not a fan of araby/TB types, just a personality clash on the whole plus on average they go wrong too often for my liking! :p There's something in my brain that just doesn't work with them, I've gone in a loose box with a french heavy (weighing in at around a tonne!) in full panic mode without a 2nd thought but if it was a TB type in the same situation I'd definately be thinking about it!

Coloured horses have never done it for me but a good horse is never a bad colour so it wouldn't stop me buying one providing it had the quality.

Willowview

Visit site
Again not keen on full arabs but have had two horses which were arab x (though you would never know it!) and one in particular moves beautifully so I do think arabs can add a certainly quality when breeding.
I love the proper old fashioned middle weight type horse now which seem to be getting rarer and rarer

Achinghips

Visit site
Not fussed on welsh cobs, used to have one as a child. Lazy, aggressive, stubborn, dead to the leg, unresponsive little bugger, he was. With a personality like that he became ugly to me, over time. Wouldn't touch a full cob now, based on that experience.

Last edited:

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
I have to say I don't 'get' miniatures, but I wouldn't say I hate any kind of equine. I'm surprised at the amount of Arab-bashing on here though, an Arab was my dream horse when I was little and I still have a soft spot for them:)

LivingTheDream92

Visit site
Not fussed on welsh cobs, used to have one as a child. Lazy, aggressive, stubborn, dead to the leg, unresponsive little bugger, he was. With a personality like that he became ugly to me, over time. Wouldn't touch a full cob now, based on that experience.

i have a welsh cob and tbh i wouldnt recommend him to anyone and i dont think i will have another one again! i love him dearly but his personality is appalling. Welsh D's in particular have a very rude and dominating personality which can take over if not handled properly from day one like my boy wasnt. they are very unpredictable and i have found one of the breeds most likely to do something completely unprovoked. after this experience i agree, i am unlikely to go cob again, he's going to break something if he carries on like this! XD

Hippona

Visit site
I don't hate any breed- there are breeds I prefer though.
Any breed with crap confo/temperament I wouldn't be interested in. I like quirky 'personalities' though and straightforward horses kind of bore me a little:eek:

I had a PBA- I now have a purebred arab- not the 'seahorse' faced type- he's more substantial than that:). I prefer the finer/sharper horse- personal preference.

We also own a hairy legged chunky Irish cob and a lovely Highland, I do ride them for purely functional purposes- i/e to keep them fit when OH/duaghter can't be arsed.

My PBA/arab- I ride for fun:D......they put a smile on my face like a big kid:D

minkymoo

Visit site
I don't 'hate' any breed, think that is a bit silly, but there are aspects of a horse that would dissuade me from buying it.

These would be:
A wall eye
A 'piggy' eye
A poorly put together horse
Anything badly bred

I find that for example, there are many spotted horses that are not necessarily appaloosas that have awful confirmation yet command a high price due to their spots.

I appreciate any good example of a horse but personally love my Anglo Arab even though he was not originally what I was after. Good size, good legs, good attitude and a good bit of zing about him! But then he is my horse so I would say so!

Doublethyme

Visit site
I certainly don't hate any breed, or even dislike any. There are breeds I probably wouldn't consider for myself, but if I had the money, I'd have them just to look at!! :)

Mostly I find I'm put off a breed (Arabs come to mind), by the type of people that seem to own them........obviously just my unfortunate personal experience!! :p

Hollyberry

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of welsh bashing and I have to admit I was put off buying one because of all the stories I had heard about them but then I went and looked at my boy and fell in love with him. He is not typical and is sweet, amenable and very safe and sensible to ride. I think it just depends how they are backed and schooled to be honest. My connemara is a thug, even though he looks angelic and whilst I wouldn't swop him for the world he is much more opinionated than his welsh friend!

bloodymerrie

New User
Visit site
In general, there is a huge difference between the breeds I like and the breeds I'd ride. maybe it is a question of the horse's temperament, maybe it is a question of the rider's skill. There are lots of breeds that I think are awesome, but I very much doubt I'd be able to ride.

The only breed I SERIOUSLY DISLIKE, is the Quarter horse. They look like someone stuck a pony's head on a heiffer. Those big buts and upright pasterns! I just do not like the look of them, yuck. And mini's freak me out.

jsr

Visit site
As someone who took 36 years before being able to afford the time and money for my own horse... I don't 'hate' any horse I'd be grateful to have any type size or breed in my life. Personally I ride and prefer big heavy cobs but I'm a big heavy girlie so they suit me, but I watch in envy at those adults small enough to ride fun whizzy ponies, and while arab's faces aren't my cup of tea I love their characters and they certainly know how to make a ride fun. All horses have unique qualities and personalities and I'd never be narrowminded enough to discount a breed just because they didn't look good to my eye.

howengold

Visit site
I never liked arabs but now I own a decrepid one and love her to bits! I worked at an arab/palomino stud earlier in the year and even wanted one! My fave pb Arab was my bosses veteran show horse Moonshine Mirriam and and not only was she and arab but also a cremello! Two things I never had on my horsey wishlist until then!

We are now looking to buy a nice arab yearling for showing in the near future.

LazyS

Visit site
:D Nothing wrong with personal opinions at all.

If I was the offendable type I'd be cut to the quick that you didn't like my blue eyed pair - or my arab:(;) but I'm not.

No one has mentioned Quarter horses yet.

Appaloosas don't seem to be doing very well out of this thread!!
I have a quarter horse as well as two appaloosas, he is nice to ride at times, but a pain in the arse at other times. Of the two breeds I really prefer the appaloosa. As I was chucked off (talking rodeo) a cross between the two breeds - a gelding - I don't think I like the two mixed either.
I got the QH on the rebound after losing my old spotted horse (16hh+ unknown breeding but believed Irish!), the jury is still out on the QH, but he is a useful companion to my app stallion and is also teaching the yearling son how to avoid being caught, how to avoid having a fly mask put on, how to barge and how to itch him in the right places! Then he looks at me with his handsome white-blazed red dun face and bats his eyelashes at me and I think maybe he can stay a little longer!

DiablosGold

Visit site
Agree that the wording of this thread isn't great, we are all horse lovers here.

I wouldn't own an arab, a friesian, a welsh or a shetland. Breeds all owned by good friends of mine. None of them would own a coloured, or a cob, but we can all appreciate the good things about each others' horses. It's a good thing we're all different :D

LazyS

Visit site
In general, there is a huge difference between the breeds I like and the breeds I'd ride. maybe it is a question of the horse's temperament, maybe it is a question of the rider's skill. There are lots of breeds that I think are awesome, but I very much doubt I'd be able to ride.

The only breed I SERIOUSLY DISLIKE, is the Quarter horse. They look like someone stuck a pony's head on a heiffer. Those big buts and upright pasterns! I just do not like the look of them, yuck. And mini's freak me out.

The quarter horses you are referring to are called 'halter bred' and look like they are on steriods - I know what you mean. They also resemble bulls! They are bred to stand square in a show ring and not move a muscle. Mine is halter-bred (supposedly) but he doesn't look like one of those, thankfully. He is well muscled - talking 15.2hh wearing a - wait for it - 6' 9" rug! I did try selling him once and laughed when someone said he was too small (without seeing him) as he has the body of a 16 hand + horse on short legs, and he would never be too small for anyone! But I never look at him and think he is ugly. He doesn't move like my appy stallion - but then nothing around us does - he is a champ! But you can get on him perhaps not having ridden him for a month and enjoy a quiet hack. So he does have a good temperament (mostly). He is a little quirky, yes, that's the word 'quirky'.

rowy

Visit site
I love all horses :D but would never own a welsh sec a with those odd dished heads, i have seen some sec as with normal heads who are gorgeous and one of my most fav ponies is a pally cute one but have seen the others with strange bulgy eyes and they just dont do anything for me.
Also very very hairy and very chunky cobs. particularly with white faces going other eyes. I love them when they are all clean with lush stroky white feathers but apart from that no :p Though i would like to have a go on one as they look so nice and ploddy and safe :)

For me the best are the odd and unique ones! Like appies :D and cremellos and perlinos and sabinos and pallys!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I do not hate any breed, but I do have much more preference for chunky cobs/gypsy horses/natives.
I would not buy tall, leggy horses such as TB's, they are just not for me at all. Had a TB x years ago, she was lovely but I am a sucker for a beautiful cob