Is there a breed of horse you really hate?!

Cedars

Visit site
Hi all,

Was at a show yesterday and found myself being extremely bias about some horses because I really hate their breed - and I realised how completely bias I was! So do you have a breed you really dislike?

This is NOT A SLEIGHT ON OTHER PEOPLES HORSES! Just an observation. Discuss.

P.S. for me its Arabs - and I can't explain why! I love the big chunky cob type!

ThePony

Visit site
Also not so keen on arabs, just don't like how they look tbh. Same goes for the palaminos that I've seen showing - all going round like kites! My preference is for a good hunter type - nice british or irish sorts!

quirky

Visit site
Don't hate any breed as they are a horse after all but I do dislike Arabs.
They are just so, so ugly with those buggy eyes and dished face.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
There are an awful lot of horses that aren't big chunky cob types that aren't Arabs. Don't you hate them as well?

For me, no, horses are horses, some do better at one job than another and I value them for those differences. Some I don't find especially attractive and wouldn't own one unless I had a specific job that only that breed would do but I don't hate horses just because of their breed.

Cedars

Visit site
No I dont, in fact we have a thoroughbred who I love to pieces and think shes gorgeous! Its just something about Arabs!!!!!

Maisy

Visit site
No!!! I like all kinds of horses!! I tend to buy the chunky types, but only due to the fact they are hardier, and generally, safer....

I am like that with dogs though....there are all kinds of dog breeds I dont like!

kyanya

Visit site
Friesians for me, which always suprises me a bit because I love Fells and Dales ponies and they're not so different with similar dark colouring, good looks and flowing manes and tails. But I just don't like how high set their necks are - if I wanted a giraffe, I'd compromise at a llama, not a friesian! :p Same goes for Akhal Tekes - I just think they're built wrong.

ETA: Just re-read the post title and wanted to add that I wouldn't say I hate these breeds (hate is a strong word) but they're not the type of horse I'd own, purely based on looks. I'm sure they're nice horses and make some owners very happy, but they're not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Not really, I like most breeds and can appreciate a good example of any breed. Equally I dislike a bad example of a breed.
I actually had a full arab as a kid, and adored him, however wouldn't be in a rush to have another, especially the very showy type ... I could be tempted by a level headed anglo with decent bone though!
I'm a bit shallow, I don't like ugly horses in general, although I have been swayed into modifying my opinion by my friends fugly!!!!

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I don't hate any breed but there are some which I would never personally have myself. For example I don't really like Appaloosas, Cremellos (although I may reconsider this if I began breeding) and at risk of being hunted down I wouldn't own a full TB. I like TB crosses- my gelding is a cob x tb, but the full TBs just don't really appeal to me.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
hmmm not to fond of anything cobby, just not my cup of tea tbh. Not fond of Arabs either or coloureds although i like a nice fine boned coloured if the colour is nice if that makes sense!!! Im more of a thoroughbred, irish sports horse person :D

Pipkin

Visit site
Ask me 16 months ago and my answer would have been arabs and tb`s due to the stereotype of flighty and a bit bonkers, i now own arab x tb:D with a smidgen of hanoverian :p:p I`m not a huge fan of fine horses, Ayla`s legs are so so fine and i actually prefer the build of my CB but i adore my PBA she`s a star, really nice natured and she keeps me safe...
I love all breeds, theyre built for different purposes, they all have their quirks, quirky looks...i wouldnt not buy a horse because of its breed and every week my 'next' horse is a totally different bred, last week it was a welsh x tb this week its a black arab, theyre proving to be rather expensive... I`m going to the welsh cob sales in oct so i`ll prob be after a section d then even though i have vowed never again after my childhood sod of a pony:D

Paddydou

Visit site
Its not the horse but I do find myself being really judgmental of the riders of certain types of horse... I don't mean to and I am sure that 99% of the time I am wrong but...

I guess its all personal preferance and thats why some are attracted to one type and some to another.

I like horses (and their riders) to get on and do the job in hand, be it a plod round the lanes or a dressage test. I think thats why I love the crosses between the heavy types and the lighter arab/ TB types. One horse does it all! I love some of the Irish and Uk breeding at the moment because they are producing some fabulous types that can excel in all disiplines and activities.

I can't stand flapping owners with flapping horses. Drives me insane. Doesn't matter what type it is. Would much rather see calm happy horse and calm happy owner getting along with their day.

Enfys

Visit site
No:)

I don't dislike (hate requires sustained effort) any particular breed. There are some that appeal less to me than others, that's all.

There are particular individual horses that I dislike intensely but the breed is irrelevant.

clydeshiregirl

New User
Visit site
i dont hate any breed but im not a horse lover, im a heavy horse lover! the average warmblood, tb, arab types dont do it for me at all. but if i went past a field of shires/clydes or hairy chunky cobs it would get my attention!! and i absolutely love roman noses, makes them look kind. my shire filly is very roman nosed.

sassybebe

Visit site
I don't hate any breed. There are breeds i wouldn't buy but that is mostly because of the specific reasons i have horses like i wouldn't buy a welsh cob because if i'm buying a horse its for showjumping. I tend to find rather than an entire breed it's a certain stallion that i wont like for example i really don't like jumbos offspring

Steorra

Visit site
Hmm...I don't think I dislike any particular breed. Poor conformation in a horse of any breed is more of an issue, and I particularly don't like horses who are very narrow and downhill in front. This rules out some thoroughbred and arab types for me, but I've also met horses of both breeds who I really liked, so it's definitely the shape not the breed.

I guess there are good and bad examples of conformation, temperament, and ability in any breed.

There'll always be a place in my heart for welshies and warmbloods as I've owned and loved one of each. And there's something about Cleveland Bays that I really like. So I do have preferences, but it's more that I like some breeds better, rather than having a strong dislike of others.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Wouldn't choose a Cremello or or Appaloosa for preference - love English hunter types, big ponies like Dales and Haflingers, but don't 'hate' any. But I do go by the eye, and I won't buy a horse who hasn't got a 'kind' eye, whatever the breed. And - what about colours? I'm mad on mahogany bays and duns/buckskins. Hate washy coloureds. How biased is that!

Cedars

Visit site
Ooh colours is another of my stupid biases!! Lurveee Piebalds, love Skewbalds, love dark/medium bays. Hate black horses, or very light coloured horses!

Sol

Visit site
I tend to dislike types within breeds rather than actual breeds as a whole. I don't like overly fine arabs/TBs, fat wobbly cobs/shetlands etc, ridiculously fine Welsh Sec. As, arabs with straight profiles, will admit there are very few hunters I like the look of.
But I do like NICE cobs, I like pretty, solid arabs, TBs that dont look as if they'll blow over, proper Welsh As.... :p

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I dont dislike any breed to be honest. I never thought I liked arabs much but now iv started riding one I actually like them they are extremely sensitive. Iv got an ID x TB, had a little highland x pony, got the arab, an ISH and TB that I ride or have on loan plus had a cob previously.