Is there such a thing as a straight forward horse?

clairebearfur1

Visit site
Sunday afternoon musings, after a very agitated ride this morning on my boy I am wondering is there such a thing as a straight forward horse? One where could go out or in the school and not worry about spooking over reacting will walk and trot in a straight line and not wiggle and bounce all over the place and also not constantly snatch the reins out of your hands, it was such a nice morning but I couldnt wait to get off! Thoughts?
Maybe a school master, spooking terrifys me lol

NooNoo59

Visit site
I have emailed the vet explaining my concerns, the other thing that has caused me concern is he is not happy in the lorry, rear facing, even on the shortest journeys he cant seem to balance on roundabouts etc come out very sweaty. There are two scenarios here either he isnt right or after all events in my life he is no longer the right horse for me to ride, both of these are not the way I wanted this to go

Annagain

Visit site
I have emailed the vet explaining my concerns, the other thing that has caused me concern is he is not happy in the lorry, rear facing, even on the shortest journeys he cant seem to balance on roundabouts etc come out very sweaty. There are two scenarios here either he isnt right or after all events in my life he is no longer the right horse for me to ride, both of these are not the way I wanted this to go
Archie was never a great traveller and he's had foot issues for years. It's definitely worth another holistic look at him.

NooNoo59

Visit site
The vet is coming back on Monday, my friend rode him this morning and he was very forward and didnt feel lame but he was constantly snatching at the rein for an hours ride. Hopefully get some answers on MOnday or I am just being neurotic!

NooNoo59

Visit site
The vet has been back, definitely not sound need neck and back scanning, doesnt think its sacro illiac, poss neck or shoulders, this is not good news but I knew I was right. He apologised for not seeing it on the video but he is even worse under saddle. I just want to lie down in a dark room, why is it that my animals have everything they need and always go wrong, although I think this one was wrong from the beginning just think it has taken work and growing for it to become evident, 5 stage vetting done as well.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Different people have different ideas of quirky. My version of quirky is stands on it's back legs, rodeo bucking or put you in a ditch if a sparrow farts 2 miles away. Whereas I have friends whose idea of quirky is taking a few faster steps in canter. We're all different and like/tolerate different things. And having spent the last 20 years riding quirky, I bloody love my straight forward horse!
This exactly. What is straight forward to me may not be to the next person. Id say my now-retired competition horse was very straight forward because he was super safe and never bucked/reared/had any drama's and was a total dream to handle in all ways IMO. Having said that thinking harder about it, he would get wound up in the XC warm up - like spinning on the spot etc. to the point that I simply didnt warm up. Id have a trot/canter to the warm up if possible then mill around outside it. I couldnt put him in the warm up ring or jump anything, luckily he was a XC machine so it wasnt a big issue. He was such a dream otherwise though so it really wasnt a problem. Have had plenty of quirky horses otherwise though that I wouldnt call straight forward as you had to learn how to ride them and how they worked best. Straight forward to me is a horse probably anyone could get on and it would be the same.

SEL

Visit site
The vet has been back, definitely not sound need neck and back scanning, doesnt think its sacro illiac, poss neck or shoulders, this is not good news but I knew I was right. He apologised for not seeing it on the video but he is even worse under saddle. I just want to lie down in a dark room, why is it that my animals have everything they need and always go wrong, although I think this one was wrong from the beginning just think it has taken work and growing for it to become evident, 5 stage vetting done as well.
Sorry to hear this - it's still tough even when you knew something wasn't right.

I have one living the life of luxury who has never been quite right since a baby.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Vet has eliminated neck and back so that only leaves the sacro iliac do that has been injected I now have covid so once I am back out will ride him and see if there is any improvement vet says this will be immediate and very noticeable fingers crossed

Visit site
Vet has eliminated neck and back so that only leaves the sacro iliac do that has been injected I now have covid so once I am back out will ride him and see if there is any improvement vet says this will be immediate and very noticeable fingers crossed

An extra few days for the drugs to work and the horse to settle into feeling better will be of more benefit than getting on the next day. A blessing in disguise really.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The answer is yes. One of my horses was bought at the age of 6. When we bought him & he has never put a foot wrong. The only time he gets a little flustered is when it's windy & he becomes really alert. He has been a great affiliated show jumper, he's done lovely dressage tests & he's been great over cross country courses. He is now almost 26 years old & is just as loveable and he still wants to jump, When he comes into the arena at the stables & there are any jumps still up he starts to get excited and wants to have a go. We sometimes make up some cross poles for him, which he enjoys but we feel it would put a strain on him at his age to ump more.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Thank you for coming back to tell us what is going on.
Will be thinking of you.

JCbruce

Visit site
I dont mean to brag but I have a 4 year old warmblood i backed this year and he is a dream. Hes bred to jump 1.60s and should be sharp but hes just an angel. I started off doing loads of ground work. from the day I got on him he was foot perfect to hack alone or in company. Have started schooling and hes so easy to train doesnt spook and was easy to teach to canter and leg yield.

I was worried before because i am so used to having really sharp horses and just keep looking for things wrong with him but I think hes just a happy quiet donkey and I should enjoy it. I think temperament is key.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Hi again, so after the SI injection he has had a couple of weeks off as I have been ill, ridden last night still not right. I am at my wits end with this, what else could it be? foot ruled out, si injected, suspensories sorted and back and neck x-rayed and all clear. So its either somewhere deep in the hip region or stifle? Any ideas you lovely lot?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Stable pelvis fractures that are too deep to x ray can present this way. I'm sorry you're going through this, it's a nightmare when you've spent thousands and can't find the source. I suspect you might need a scintigraph (bone scan) but I wouldn't be certain that it will provide the answer.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Can’t see any videos and have had a quick read through the thread.

Your horse sounds very much like my mare was and the journey we went through to find out what the issue was. Can’t begin to tell you how many tests / nerve blocks / steroid injections she had. I spent thousands and she wasn’t insured.🥹

I just knew there was something not right, she was 5 stage vetted when I bought her and such a sweet horse.

Eventually, as a process of elimination I had her scoped for ulcers and sure enough she had grade 3 Squamous and Pyloric ulcers. Poor girl.

Took a fair amount of treatments (and more money) to get her sorted but she is now the horse I bought and has been for some time now.

In my experience when their tummy hurts it affects all other aspects of their body, SI Joint, stifles, shoulders, back which was definitely true in my mares case.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Hi again, so after the SI injection he has had a couple of weeks off as I have been ill, ridden last night still not right. I am at my wits end with this, what else could it be? foot ruled out, si injected, suspensories sorted and back and neck x-rayed and all clear. So its either somewhere deep in the hip region or stifle? Any ideas you lovely lot?
Have you scoped for ulcers, my next step would be a bone scan .

NooNoo59

Visit site
I have considered ulcers but the vet says it looks mechanical and he eats well, looks bonny good coat etc. I think it will be a bone scan, i think he may have an old fracture somewhere,

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have considered ulcers but the vet says it looks mechanical and he eats well, looks bonny good coat etc. I think it will be a bone scan, i think he may have an old fracture somewhere,

No contraindication there for ulcers.

It's so hard with these horses where they're NQR, it could be worth getting one of the very holistic vets or bodyworkers out, or a vet for a second opinion, perhaps a referral to a loss of performance clinic (apologies if that's what you've already done), gait analysis etc. Different professionals, even with the same qualification etc, can see things very differently. It's almost certainly not just one thing as there are always compensations, but those things may be mild, and you need someone to see the pattern.

A chiro or osteo vet (Tom Beech, Donna Blinman, there are others) would be an idea, they don't have 100% reputations as no-one does, but they would be amongst the sorts of people I'd suggest.

Visit site
My experience is SI injections on their own don’t present as a magic cure. Some rehab work to build the area back up and make sure any conditioned pain response was not still presenting is what worked best for mine. Lunging, introducing raised poles, all ridden work in light seat with focus on long and low and working over back, walking up down slight hills. Over about an 3 / 4 week period allowing the horse to begin to use themselves properly again. Hope you get sorted nothing worse than the not quite right stage of things.

NooNoo59

Visit site
So the vet has recommended 3x options - bone scan/xray above the spine to check dorsal processes or retire him. I think I have to go for the bone scan, I dont think the outcome will be good.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So the vet has recommended 3x options - bone scan/xray above the spine to check dorsal processes or retire him. I think I have to go for the bone scan, I dont think the outcome will be good.

How did the vet rule out the back being an issue earlier if the DSPs haven't been x rayed? That said, it doesn't sound like there much point now if he's outright lame without being under saddle. If your insurance will cover it the a bone scan sounds sensible, and if they won't retirement does, (but only if he can be made comfortable in the field, which he doesn't sound at the moment.)

I'm really sorry you're going through this, horses are such heart breakers.

NooNoo59

Visit site
How did the vet rule out the back being an issue earlier if the DSPs haven't been x rayed? That said, it doesn't sound like there much point now if he's outright lame without being under saddle. If your insurance will cover it the a bone scan sounds sensible, and if they won't retirement does, (but only if he can be made comfortable in the field, which he doesn't sound at the moment.)

I'm really sorry you're going through this, horses are such heart breakers.
Because he is quite chunky he has xrsyed all the neck and spine on the side but not from above but like you say probably a waste of time.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
You need to look at the horse’s innate personality, if they’re generally quiet and sensible but acting up when ridden it could be lack of schooling, pain, saddle etc.

Some horses just have a much sharper highly strung attitude to life, you can usually spot them a mile off!

SEL

Visit site
SI injections have a short period of time to help you build up the correct muscles I was told - & that happened in practice with mine who tweaked something else and her lovely movement post SI injection went downhill quickly.

There are lots of ligaments in that area which don't really heal well if damaged so I'm wondering if you could have a problem there.

Trying ulcer treatment is never a bad idea - apart from the cost

MummyEms

Visit site
IMHO - Straightforward doesn't = you can put your granny on it / never has a spook / never questions things

But they are willing, not too sharp, predictable - if they do ask questions, they are willing to accept your answer. If they don't understand something they do not throw their toys out of the pram. Assuming what you are asking is fair
Totally agree with this.

Most horses are this. You can't ask for much more. Especially of a competition type horse who is fit and well

hock

Visit site
Sunday afternoon musings, after a very agitated ride this morning on my boy I am wondering is there such a thing as a straight forward horse? One where could go out or in the school and not worry about spooking over reacting will walk and trot in a straight line and not wiggle and bounce all over the place and also not constantly snatch the reins out of your hands, it was such a nice morning but I couldnt wait to get off! Thoughts?
I promise you there are many many straight forward horses. However it’s much easier to work with a youngster than have to undo someone else’s training. I produce a few horses every year and I pride myself on them being I hope easy and kind and very happy to be around people. But it’s a long job and I get them young. It is the only thing I have any skill in though, making happy willing ponies that I get way too attached to and then they go and break my heart lol.