Is this what “fresh” means?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would really take everything slowly don't make yourself ride on your own tomorrow if you don't feel 100%, from what you have said I would say you are a novice rider which is fine but set your goals low then you win, even if you just rode when someone is there to help you or in a lesson that is fine, bite size goals everyday is what you want just lunge or walk in hand if you feel comfortable with that.

I have had a massive confidence knock and I know I had to take a million steps back to get that confidence back, and I have learnt that some days it just ain't gonna happen so I don't push it, and I find now I do what I can and then I leave it on a happy positive note and it works, I can't have a failure at the moment so I aim low and I have come to terms with it now it took me a while.

windand rain

Visit site
As a beginner/novice riding without stirrups is probably not the best way to get you to relax down into the horse as tension and lack of balance will make you grip. maybe drop your stirrups down a hole or two as long as you are not reaching for them, dont rise too high and keep your weight through your heels. If you feel like you are overbalancing instead of gripping up and leaning slow the pace gently before moving forward again. Plenty transitions from trot to walk and walk to trot should stop the running through you describe. I think today was just a heap of excitement mixed with running through and both being out of balance. To be honest if you are in a school with a fence round the lunge probably isnt helping you balance at all especially as the person holding it is not in charge

Lois Lame

Visit site
You've got to let your legs hang down and avoid gripping in any way which will push you out of the saddle. Think of lifting your chest and keep it still and let your lower body follow the movement of the horse.

Yes, and I would add: think of your weight as sinking down through your body and out through your feet, into the ground.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Both!

I used to ride from the age of 5 to 18. I then stopped riding regularly, eventually had kids, but never got over my passion for horses.

I’m now 40. My daughter had shown a passion for riding so I seized the opportunity to get her into riding!

I want to focus on very basic things at the moment so I build my strength and confidence back up. Have been doing lots of practise without stirrups to build a firmer seat but today it wasn’t my day!

Luckily I have all the time in the world to get there. Just feel a little deflated sometimes when my stupid old body won’t do what my head tells it to! X
I just want to say how I admire the way you take advice on board in such a gracious way :) I'm sure it's all going to come together for you with a positive attitude like you have :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
My horse is 27 years old and I've had her for 20 years, and I sometimes still take the long route around some fields (in other words, going nowhere f **cking near them) if the horses in them are racing around like maniacs. If I'm in an arena or if I have to choice but to go past, I do it in walk, thinking quiet and calm thoughts. Like hell would I canter. Horses can get pretty silly if they see a horse in a field going nuts. It can (maybe?) be mitigated by making yours walk quietly and perhaps throwing in some lateral movements for good measure, but asking yours to canter, unless you're prepared to ride overexuberance, is also asking for trouble.

I would just carry on and chalk it up to the stallion. And ride more cautiously if there's something in an adjacent field going bonkers.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Both!

I used to ride from the age of 5 to 18. I then stopped riding regularly, eventually had kids, but never got over my passion for horses.

I’m now 40. My daughter had shown a passion for riding so I seized the opportunity to get her into riding!

I want to focus on very basic things at the moment so I build my strength and confidence back up. Have been doing lots of practise without stirrups to build a firmer seat but today it wasn’t my day!

Luckily I have all the time in the world to get there. Just feel a little deflated sometimes when my stupid old body won’t do what my head tells it to! X

I think some lessons to get you going on a riding school horses is the way forward then when your confident in say....rising trot ...take it back and apply it to your own horse.

A riding school horse will be used to unbalanced and a bit of bouncing your horse not so much ...which will probably get you a negative reaction.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I think she was trying but didn’t want to alarm me. She normally lunges him before I school him. Thanks for advice on cantering on artificial surface repeatedly, I will talk to her about this. He is currently on pink mash for his hind gut, equilibra 500 balancer to help his immune system and garlic ?

She really should have taken notice that the other horse was winding him up and asked you to get off for a while until he settled rather than putting you in a position where you got bucked off. An instructor should be more aware of what was going on and think of your safety.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It's great that this has not upset you unduly, but I think some lessons need to be learned...

As an ex-professional trainer, had I given a lunge lesson next to a field with another horse pratting around next door, and the rider came off (and was injured), I would expect to be claimed against as I would have been negligent.

Fantastic that your friend is doing it out of the goodness of her heart, but as the owner I think you need to take charge of the situation if things are not going to plan, or go to someone training in a professional capacity who will be safety conscious. It is part of graduating from riding school rider to horse owner, knowing your limits and controlling the variables yourself.

As a trainer, to give a lunge lesson, particularly without stirrups, you would start with a safe arena. That would be one without a stallion snorting around next door. You also have good weather, not too cold, windy etc. Then a good horse, as in one proven to be accepting of riders losing balance.

You would expect the horse to go up and down the paces, into and out of canter, calmly and obediently, before the rider would be expected to mount. If a horse became unsettled whilst a rider was on board, you would scale back the exercises to help the rider be in the best position to learn to cope with such behaviour, not push them into canter after that have lost their stirrups!

I do lunge without reins, but leave them knotted on the neck so, if the horse does something unexpected, the rider can pick them up to put things right. At the start of each lunge lesson, the rider would have the reins and be riding the horse anyway, until you are sure that you have a 'green light' to progress to exercises.

Especially if the rider was a novice, it is safe practice to take them off again if the horse becomes unruly, to settle the horse, or even abandon the lesson altogether until the offending stallion could be removed. Your friend did try to settle the horse, however, a good lunge horse is a treasured beast, it has to be obedient, forgiving and fit. The fit part is very important, lunge work at canter, with a rider, is extremely hard work. With a very calm and obedient horse it is less demanding, but if they need warming up in all gaits, riding at all gaits, then cantering round and round to tire them out, that is extremely hard work. I don't think Prince is currently fit enough for that (he may be, I am just going on age and history you have given here), and it could harm him.

I am sorry if that comes across harshly towards your samaritan friend, but they put you in danger and Prince was not doing anything a 'normal' horse wouldn't do in this circumstances.

FWIW, I have a new, aged cob, Rigsby. I would not choose to work him in the school if a prancing stallion was next door. One day in the future, yes I would expect him to ignore it. But, at the moment, like Prince, he has had a year where he has had physical issues, time off, a new home... He has an experienced rider (me) who says, hell no, let's not invite disaster. Rigsby is, by necessity, on a slow and steady build up program of work. I won't currently go out on the roads if it is blustery wind. I won't currently ride on the school f there is something in the locality that is causing him angst. One day, yes. Right now, no. It is part of that owner's responsibility to the horse not to over face them.

I do enjoy reading your posts, and hope this is a small blip. I would say that this is a 'giddy' time of year for horses. Many horses don't need hard feed if in gentle work, once they are at their desired weight. Just some chop based feed so they can have vitamins. I think that you will, in the future, be confident to do things on your own with Prince. For me though, for now I would use winter as consolidation, to do things you are already happy with. I would wait for warmer weather and a more serene horse mood before introducing higher stakes. Playing the long game, enjoying each step.

Last edited:

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Agree with Red, as lovely as it is your friend helping you I think right now what you need are lots and lots of confidence boosting lessons, whether that be on a riding school horse or your own. I was a first time owner with my mare and I bit off slightly more than I could chew and for the first few months I barely rode unless it was in a lesson. Was expensive but worth it in the long run for my ability and therefore confidence.

Also (I'm assuming here due to your previous postings) your horse will most likely be lacking in the muscle and suppleness to work correctly, which is a lot harder to rider than a horse that is straight, not falling out and has an even rhythm. It's a bit of a vicious circle because the horse needs you to do more work to correct them but you're at a point in your riding "career" that means this is hard for you. This is where an instructor is key, especially an instructor that can sit on Prince for maybe the first half of the lesson so you can see what you are wanting to work towards and also so the instructor knows what you are dealing with. School in walk till your seat improves, you can do loads in walk. Leg yielding, turn on the forehand, serpentines, collect on the short side and try and extend the walk on the long side. Throw in the odd bit of trot but come back to walk as soon as you get a bit wobbly.

It's lovely watching your experience grow. Try not to get disheartened, I've been there and would sometimes look at friends horses that were schoolmasters and think how nice it would be to just go out and have fun without it always being a learning experience for my mare and the pressure I felt in getting it right all the time. But one day you'll look back at both of your progress and realise it was all worth it :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Except I haven't had limited experience of horses reacting to feed and that's why I feed pink mash. Soya oil is well known for causing adverse reactions in horses. The hulls are not.

Everyone is offering advice and sending Kiera chasing down rabbit holes over feed, when she has a clear cut cause. If the horse continues to behave out of character then you can look for other causes, but in this instance, the cause is known, another horse winding him up combined with an unbalanced rider. The horse has been fine previously.

Look for the obvious cause first before you start looking for problems that dont exist.

But the whole point is that the horse hasn't been fine previously. Afaik, he was feed reactive which caused the last problem. Regardless, I would always remove all feed except grass-based if behaviour caused concern. And would prefer not to over feed a horse in light work, anyway

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I completely agree with your sentiment Red but I think you read it differently from me - as I understand it, the friend hadn't asked Keira to ride without stirrups, she lost them shortly before the buck as his trot was getting a bit fast and the friend didn't ask Prince to canter, he started cantering of his own accord so - while I probably wouldn't be lunging him with Keira on board until I was sure he would respond to voice commands - I don't think she's as reckless as some are making out. There was no real harm done this time so I think you just need to put it down to experience, Keira, not worry about it too much but the take-away from this is that you need him calm and responsive before you get on. People talk about not sending him round in circles too much but lunging for a few minutes to get the edge off him until you feel it's safe to get in is fine. I have to do it with Charlie on cold mornings but 5 minutes for him to warm up is usually all it takes. You're doing a great job, stick at it. Maybe some lessons with a 'proper' (I don't mean that in a disparaging way towards your friend) instructor would help?

ponyparty

Visit site
Nothing much to add that hasn't been suggested already, but maybe consider a couple of lessons on a mechanical horse if you have one nearby, to help with your seat/security without having to think about what the horse is doing? I'm planning on having a few myself after Christmas. I know you're nowhere near me, but someone who knows your area might be able to point you in the right direction?

My horse would also have lost the plot at a stallion pratting about next to the school, it's pretty normal horse behaviour. There's some excellent advice in this thread - as so often on here - but as others have said, I suspect in this case it was just a bit of a "perfect storm" situation. No harm done on this occasion, and a good (if steep) learning curve :)

Keira 8888

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your advice. It all makes sense and I’m going to chew it all over today.

Many of my friends on the yard have offered to let me ride their horses which very kind. Some of them are ex riding school which would be perfect for me!

I must say I do still feel nervous on Prince.

Purely because of past memories of coming off him - anxiety that the wrong clumsy cue from me could result in him exploding.

I don’t like to admit this though as I’m scared that if I don’t “push through” this fear, I will stop making progress and slip backwards to bring too scared to do anything.

But I can now fully see how this is not the right mindset to have right now. My next fall could be far more unpleasant, and then it really will set me back. And Prince.

I think I’m going to take a step back, keep walking him in hand because we both enjoy that, and avoid anything where that taunting voice in my head says “this could go badly wrong, but youre a wimp if you dont do it.”

I’m very happy to have a winter of just groundwork with him as I can get him fit in a slow gentle (enjoyable) way.

I’m my own worst enemy really. I’m just so desperate to be like my friends in the yard who go off on hacks every day. But I know I’m not ready to be doing that yet unless I have a “babysitter” with me.

Never mind, onwards and upwards. I’m lucky to be in one piece so I’ll keep plodding on. Wiser each time I read your replies. I really do appreciate it, thank you very much.

Keira x

ponyparty

Visit site
Gosh I don't think anyone meant you need to stop riding him (although of course if that's what you feel comfortable doing, that's also fine!). Maybe just scale it back a bit for now - stick mainly to walk, maybe even just hop on for 10 minutes once he's warmed up and got any silliness out of his system, do a bit in walk, focus on transitions/chaning direction, riding circles and serpentines, then get off again and do a bit more on the ground. If we don't push ourselves out of our comfort zones, we don't progress - but at the same time, just need to be safe as possible in doing so :)

misst

Visit site
I think the other thing in this mix is age (you're younger than me by a mile). As we have kids, mortgages, get stiffer, older, wiser we do become more risk adverse. This is not being a whimp it's because no one else will do the school run/walk the dog/pay the bills if you are badly injured. I think you sound very sensible and that you know your limits. Pushing a little is great. Pushing too much (both you and your boy) is foolhardy.
You sound as if you are really enjoying owning him now and that in itself is a big step forward x Onwards and upwards (slowly) as Mrs M on here would say :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I think what everyone is trying to say is do what you feel comfortable doing, no matter how little or how much. I used to have huge issues hacking on my own so I would hack as far as I felt comfortable (literally not even off the yard) and come back and it was a positive experience because I felt confident, my horse felt confident and it was fun all round. Then when I could do that without any fear I hacked to a specific tree that was maybe another 100m and came back. I gradually increased it and now I happily hack on my own (except on roads but I'm lucky in that I have hacking on site so save the longer hacks for when I have company). Who cares if you're nervous hacking on your own? Who cares if you don't want to jump higher than 40cm, or if you're a bit wobbly in rising trot. Don't expect too much of yourself and don't compare yourself to others! (not saying any of the above apply to you specifically but you get the idea!) Small tiny goals and you can gradually push yourself more as you have more experience.

I know someone that had months of lessons in walk and her horse went a lot better for it. People don't do nearly enough work in walk!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If that was a result of my post, then no, I didn't mean you shouldn't ride him at all. By consolidation I meant to carry on dong what you have been doing comfortably. I believe you had a fabulous ride in the forest, so I would look to that to continue. It may be that you choose a nice day to go on the ride, sensible companions, work him the day before, even if that work is on the lunge and not pushing forwards when things are not looking good. Just setting yourself up for success really, not stopping everything altogether.

I do agree with not 'pushing through the fear' as, IME, fear is often valid. You need to develop your own gut feeling for what is safe and what is not and then trust that gut feeling. I bet you weren't comfortable to mount on the lunge with the stallion carrying on in the next field with an already power walking horse (I know I wouldn't) and it is that realisation to bring it back under control I am talking about. Maybe realising that today is not the best day for that exercise.

Nothing wrong with walking out in hand either, last year when mum was really ill, my self resilience was low and the young sport horse was not low, so I rode in the arena, sometimes rode out, but often we went for walks together as I found that therapeutic.

I think you and Prince have come a long way, consolidate now and push forwards on this lazy summer days. He will be stronger you will be stronger, you will have a better idea of what is the right side of exhilarating and where exhilarating turns to scary.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Some great suggestions already a particularly from Red-1.

I love your idea of groundwork - you can mix some riding in a controlled way if you want to :) But please don't think you have to ride, if you feel it's too much.

It could be worth exploring sports psychology or NLP to help you too.

Tere is so much good in groundwork, I honestly think it's so under rated and not just for those that can't ride - it's a skill in itself :)

You can do in-hand pole work, you can learn lateral work, you can introduce 'spooky' objects like tarpaulin, umbrellas, weave through poles, use hula hoops to stand in, scary flags etc so lots to get your teeth into.

Can you long line? I'd ask your friend to teach you to long line of possible as this won't put so much pressure on his joints as lunging.

You might still need to lunge too - and that's ok in moderation too!

You've come such a long way with Prince and there is so much you should be very, very proud of.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your advice. It all makes sense and I’m going to chew it all over today.

Many of my friends on the yard have offered to let me ride their horses which very kind. Some of them are ex riding school which would be perfect for me!

I must say I do still feel nervous on Prince.

Purely because of past memories of coming off him - anxiety that the wrong clumsy cue from me could result in him exploding.

I don’t like to admit this though as I’m scared that if I don’t “push through” this fear, I will stop making progress and slip backwards to bring too scared to do anything.

But I can now fully see how this is not the right mindset to have right now. My next fall could be far more unpleasant, and then it really will set me back. And Prince.

I think I’m going to take a step back, keep walking him in hand because we both enjoy that, and avoid anything where that taunting voice in my head says “this could go badly wrong, but youre a wimp if you dont do it.”

I’m very happy to have a winter of just groundwork with him as I can get him fit in a slow gentle (enjoyable) way.

I’m my own worst enemy really. I’m just so desperate to be like my friends in the yard who go off on hacks every day. But I know I’m not ready to be doing that yet unless I have a “babysitter” with me.

Never mind, onwards and upwards. I’m lucky to be in one piece so I’ll keep plodding on. Wiser each time I read your replies. I really do appreciate it, thank you very much.

Keira x

I think you can definitely learn to ride him confidently you just have to make sure his not getting too much feed so his sane, get a proper instructor and just take a few steps back you don't have to canter everytime, when I lost my confidence I spent half an hour on a large circle just doing walk and trot transitions a bit of leg yeild, getting the horse to listen and it helps to relax you so then the horse will relax, then if it's going well do something a bit more challenging.

If you can get the horse listening in a relaxed way your half way there he needs to focus on you, my 2 get very distracted so I make sure they are on my aids and they are so much easier and less likely to spook and be silly

Keira 8888

Visit site
If that was a result of my post, then no, I didn't mean you shouldn't ride him at all. By consolidation I meant to carry on dong what you have been doing comfortably. I believe you had a fabulous ride in the forest, so I would look to that to continue. It may be that you choose a nice day to go on the ride, sensible companions, work him the day before, even if that work is on the lunge and not pushing forwards when things are not looking good. Just setting yourself up for success really, not stopping everything altogether.

I do agree with not 'pushing through the fear' as, IME, fear is often valid. You need to develop your own gut feeling for what is safe and what is not and then trust that gut feeling. I bet you weren't comfortable to mount on the lunge with the stallion carrying on in the next field with an already power walking horse (I know I wouldn't) and it is that realisation to bring it back under control I am talking about. Maybe realising that today is not the best day for that exercise.

Nothing wrong with walking out in hand either, last year when mum was really ill, my self resilience was low and the young sport horse was not low, so I rode in the arena, sometimes rode out, but often we went for walks together as I found that therapeutic.

I think you and Prince have come a long way, consolidate now and push forwards on this lazy summer days. He will be stronger you will be stronger, you will have a better idea of what is the right side of exhilarating and where exhilarating turns to scary.

Oh no no! Not at all! Your post was so helpful and it absolutely didn’t suggest I shouldn’t be riding him. I didn’t think that at all. I find your posts incredibly motivating ? I’m a neurotic worry wart and sometimes I over react to certain situations ? Speaking of which, something just happened in the field that makes yesterday’s drama seem minuscule!

I was quietly loading up Princes hay net for tonight and noticed that he was laying down. His head was up and his ears forward, but I’ve never seen him resting like this before. I decided I would go in to investigate from a distance, just to make sure he was ok.

Well! Halfway down the field I hear a pounding sound and glanced over my shoulder. All of his herd mates were thundering towards me at high speed! I backed up against the hedge and at this point Prince got up and had a little trot (I was relieved to see he was ok at least!)

The horses continued to hoon around d and seemed very agitated. I decided against walking back to the gate through the middle of them all and instead scrambled over a side gate into a neighbouring field.

I was told when I got back to the yard that two elderly ponies had been PTS in neighbouring field that morning and that’s why they were all high tailing around.

Strangely enough Prince stood at the gate for ages while I finished my yard jobs and I eventually went over to say hello. He seemed a bit quiet but also very affectionate. It was lovely ? blowing away in my face and putting his head on my shoulder ?

Anyway! Sorry to ramble on! Thanks again for supporting me once again with your fab reply x

windand rain

Visit site
That sounds like a bit of a scare with a lovely ending. I am with Red 1 you shouldnt push yourself too far out of your comfort zone but consolidate what you feel safe with. Prince wont care if you dont go running off anywhere he wil be just as content and maybe even more content to go at your pace. I too love your posts about Prince. If you want to walk then walk if you want to push yourself try a few strides of the next pace be it a marching walk or a little trot. Enjoy him but dont not ride him unless you truly dont want to or dont feel safe. Ride with a friend or a foot soldier there is no reason not to

Scarlett

Visit site
Pink mash made my horse who was later diagnosed with hind gut acidosis to be much more reactive, even though the blurb suggests that it is good for HGA. It isn’t, in my experience.

She was so bad on it that pts was considered at one point.
My HGA horse got considerably better on it, to the point that he now only gets Pink Mash daily and no longer requires Equishure or any other supplements/feed and we have been able to stop thinking about pts in his case.

Pink Mash is soya hulls, which are high in fibre and I believe a study in the US suggested they do help balance the gut pH (though I make to claims to the accuracy of the study, or how it was carried out. I've only read it once!).

OP; lots of horses are full of energy at the moment. I've had this conversation with several friends the last 2 weeks. My own horses are requiring lunging before riding currently as they are wild. I very nearly eat sand on Saturday, but chose to get off and lunge then get back on. My 22yo was a loon out hacking, and I watched my friend trying to jump on Sunday while her horse just wanted to canter sideways, and did!

My point is it happens. No harm in lunging to get the legs off them to allow you to ride safely. My horses woukd also have list their minds with a stallion showing off nearby, and they are usually very reliable.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A study might well show that the majority of equines do well on any particular feed but will not necessarily recognise that some individual horses react badly to that feed.
Soya hulls, in particular are likely to have oil residue left, which especially sensitive horses could well react to. Some posters really don't seem to understand that sensitivity to feed can mean that only a tiny amount of the feed is needed to spark a reaction. I went through all this kind of thing when I was attempting to feed my reactive TBxWelsh, 'a small amount affects her just as much as a large amount'.

Scarlett

Visit site
A study might well show that the majority of equines do well on any particular feed but will not necessarily recognise that some individual horses react badly to that feed.
Soya hulls, in particular are likely to have oil residue left, which especially sensitive horses could well react to. Some posters really don't seem to understand that sensitivity to feed can mean that only a tiny amount of the feed is needed to spark a reaction. I went through all this kind of thing when I was attempting to feed my reactive TBxWelsh, 'a small amount affects her just as much as a large amount'.
Completely understand that even a small amount feed can cause a reaction - of my 4 horses I have two who can't touch alfalfa, one that can't touch soya oil, and my hga boy has had reactions to copra and speedibeet. I get it. There are always exceptions.