I've been totally had....

Vindaloo

Visit site
To cut a long story short, I ride at a yard in India where ex racers are retrained and sold. Some stay for life but most are sold on as eventers, dressage horses or showjumpers. I lease one horse, a lovely tb stallion and aslo have the ride on two others and thoroughly enjoy it. Not the same as having your own but almost and great experience.

In the last batch of youngsters that came in, one horse stood out, he's a stunning grey with movement to die for. I just melted every time I saw him ridden and was over the moon when recently I was offered a sit on him. I truly didn't want to get off. We just clicked.

I went home full of how lovely he was and half heartedly asked OH if we could buy him. He laughed and quite reasonably said that since we are only here for a few years it's not a good idea since he knows how attached I get (two street dogs now have home for life wih us). In other words, no darling, we most certainly cannot.

A week on and having ridden him daily I think my poor OH was getting fed up with hearing all about it so he said to ask on the price and he would consider it. So, I did, the price was reasonable and OH said he would give it some thought but again cautioned that it was a lot of money and not a good idea etc. etc. Typically changed the subject and said no more. I did secretly hope though that he would at least consider it.

Blow me down, the next morning I get a text from the YO to say he was sorry but the horse was sold. I was GUTTED, ok, I knew it was a long shot but in my mind he was already mine and yep, I was already attached. I called OH to let him know and he said it's probably for the best. I was so disappointed I didn't even want to go to the yard that night. When I got there, there he was all tacked up for me to ride. I didn't really want to get on him again. I did actually say to the YO that it was a bit cruel since he'd been sold but he said that at least I could enjoy him until he went. He also said the new owner was really nice and that he would have a great home. Didn't make me feel a lot better to be honest.

Three days on and OH came home from work and said he was so unhappy to see me so down about the horse and asked about the new owner, I told him that apparently he was a nice chap at which point he said, dunno about nice what do you think, you are looking at him!!!!!

Oh my god, I was had so completely,totally and utterly and have never been so happy so have been completely deceived. What an amazing thing to do. I would NEVER have thought my hubby would do such a thing. I am totally floored and of course ecstatic and now the very proud owner of Casper (he came with that name). If I knew how to post pics I would but I am truly pathetic with all that sort of thing. What an amazing thing for him to do. I think he was as choked as I was, there were definitely tears in his eyes. I of course, burst into tears and didn't know what to do first. Settled on the biggest, slobberiest kiss and saying thank you a million times. He's always been generous but he's always very considered when it comes to money (typical accountant). Just goes to show, they can still surprise you.

Really looking forward to the future with him and hope to be out competing this Nov at Delhi. Def dressage and we'll see re jumping. Just wanted to share. I haven't been able to take the silly grin off my face.

Last edited:

Ilovefoals

Visit site
Wow, what a wonderful story!! Your OH sounds amazing, what a lovely thing to do. You have to go to picture gallery and read the instructions on how to post pics now so I can see this handsome boy! xx

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I think that's the best post I've ever read on here. Honestly, I'm sitting here with a big silly grin on my face and tears in my eyes. Your man sounds like a total diamond and Casper sounds like a treasure too. Wishing you many happy years with your horse, will you find a way to bring him home eventually? And the street dogs?

Vindaloo

Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies. OH has won HUGE brownie points with me but my friends husbands/boyfriends are less than impressed since they now have been put under pressure by their OH's. There have been a few grumbles about having raised the good husband bar to a ridiculous level.

I'll go onto picture gallery and see if I can work any magic. I'd love to post a vid so you can see him move but I have seen so many posts with people getting slated for their riding that I dare not. Ha, don't want to burst my bubble just yet.

Vindaloo

Visit site
I think that's the best post I've ever read on here. Honestly, I'm sitting here with a big silly grin on my face and tears in my eyes. Your man sounds like a total diamond and Casper sounds like a treasure too. Wishing you many happy years with your horse, will you find a way to bring him home eventually? And the street dogs?

Ahhh, thanks so much. I am a very lucky lady.

Shhhhhhh, will be very quietly looking into transporting him home. Realistically I think it will be out of the question but watch this space, I've a few years to work on it.... Pepper and Bumble (the dogs) are of course coming home with us, would never consider leaving them to an uncertain future.

Keltic

Visit site
Congratulations on getting Casper!! What a wonderful OH you have, it goes to show there are some really cracking blokes out there!. Im blessed with a wonderful oh too when my old girl had to be retired he said I couldnt have 2, then our wedding anniversary came along and he brought me a beautiful cob! I hope you have as much fun with Casper as I do with my girls and dont forget some extra hugs for your oh!! I look forward to seeing some pictures!

Ilovefoals

Visit site
Don't blame you for not being keen on posting a vid. I'm dying to show off my girly as her training is going so well but I'm wary of the comments I might get. Please post some pics tho! I hope you get to bring him home eventually. Start saving now! Lol. x

DW Team

Visit site
Wow what a wonderful OH you have. I hope you and Casper have some wonderful times together and look forward to seeing some pictures soon.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
What an awesome husband. Good luck with the new man, & I hope you either get to bring him home when the time comes or sell him onto someone who will love him like you do.

Django Pony

Visit site
WOW! :D What a totally wonderful hubby you have! I really hope you find a way to bring Casper back with you! Casper is a great name btw! I hope you have many happy years together! x
PS - We NEED pictures! :)

amage

Visit site
Aw that is just gorgeous well done OH....he must have been fit to burst trying to keep it from you! Why not start a transport fund....if you will be there a few years yet a small amount weekly or monthly will go a long way towards getting him home!!

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Really made up for you hun - Horses do seem to get shipped around a bit i.e olympics and other major jumping events so it must be possible to bring your boy home , i guess the cost is prohibitive , but if you start saving now - you never know. My friend has just spent 3 months in Gujerat , at Rann riders riding the katherwari (sp?) horses , with the curled in ears , she's always bragging about riding out in the cotton fields at sunset - I'm not jealous - much. :D

Vindaloo

Visit site
Oh wow, thank you all so very much for your lovely replies. It's great to be able to share the story with like minded people. Especially since out here very few speak English and in any case, those who do are just not into horses/dogs the way I am. It's not the same. You've all made me smile so much. I was just bursting to tell someone and you guys have been perfect.

I am getting mum on the case with the camera tomorrow (she's out here visiting at the mo) and will endeavour to get all technical and post some pics of the lad.

Transport fund is a jolly good idea. Have a sneaky feeling he will come home with us. I've never been any good at selling. Only one I did went to a friend who has promised him a home for life and I get first refusal should anything untoward happen.

xxxxxxx