I've had enough of this horse shopping

ozpoz

Visit site
it isn't what they say- it's how they say it. I decide from phone calls whether or not they sound like someone I want to buy from, or sell to, as well as how the horse is described.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I saw a horse on FB atm that I would have followed up if it was the right time I am in research the market stage of my next search I do this for a few months before I start viewing to get my eye in .
This horse might be too chunky for you ( I will be looking for hunter for three of us to share ) he’s seven and over your budget he’s on the South West eventing Fb page .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I saw a horse on FB atm that I would have followed up if it was the right time I am in research the market stage of my next search I do this for a few months before I start viewing to get my eye in .
This horse might be too chunky for you ( I will be looking for hunter for three of us to share ) he’s seven and over your budget he’s on the South West eventing Fb page .
if it's the ID I PMd the OP about it yesterday and then remembered no greys .. doh.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh yes no greys .
It’s a good job I am a long way from it as I would have been very tempted to take a peek and I don’t need one just yet .
But he’s the first I have seen with the right CV .

Leandy

Visit site
Just some thoughts from my recent experiences. As a buyer, I want to know that the horse I'm enquiring about fulfils basic criteria such as height, location, general type and aptitude and price before I will pick up the phone, but as a serious buyer I will pick up the phone as I want to talk to the seller as it can be very revealing as to reasons for sale/faults and quirks they didn't mention in the advert and finally how serious and sensible they sound (I've had those who, despite having advertised the horse yesterday, decide today that they don't want to sell it after all.... yes, I've had about three of those recently - no, I'm not schlepping over to see your horse or wasting time discussing it with you if you can't even commit to actually selling it if I'm interested.....). As a seller, I won't entertain someone coming to see my horse unless I have spoken to them as, again, it can be very revealing as to how experienced and sane they sound so I'll happily send full details and videos by message but I do want to talk to you. And finally, having also previously been of the view that good mature horses don't change hands very often, I have discovered this is not the case for children's and teenagers ponies and horses and that here, in fact, good ones change hands approximately every two years because they are outgrown either in size or ability. So local pony clubs and pony club classified ads are a good hunting ground for all round types. There are some cracking ponies and horses in the Pony Club world, not always fancy looking, but they can be great fun all rounders that will turn their hooves to anything and you can usually get references about them from the DC etc. There are also sometimes ones on the market because they are just a bit too much, too green or whatever for the particular child/young person concerned but will be great for someone a bit older or more experienced, not necessarily that they are death traps generally. Again, the DC and pony club instructors may well be able to verify that that is in fact the case.

Horse2018

Visit site
To be honest with you what you’re looking for is going to be impossible for find with your budget.
No mares
No tbs
No grays
Must be 16 hands and up nothing less
Must be cob build
Must be able to jump 80 cm
Must be experienced and safe
Must be okay in open and be 100 percent on a road
Must be 5-12

Leo Walker

Visit site
To be honest with you what you’re looking for is going to be impossible for find with your budget.
No mares
No tbs
No grays
Must be 16 hands and up nothing less
Must be cob build
Must be able to jump 80 cm
Must be experienced and safe
Must be okay in open and be 100 percent on a road
Must be 5-12

We had all these posts when someones budget was 2k. They needed more money or they would never find anything, which clearly wasnt true then and isnt true now. But now it would seem 5k++ isnt enough. Throwing more money at it doesnt fix the problem.

Your list also doesnt seem to reflect what AA has said shes looking for either. She has never said no TBs, never said cob build, never said experienced. I dont think its too much to ask for for a 5k horse to jump 80cm and be safe in open spaces and on the road. My less than 1k pony jumps 80cms, I would imagine most humans can jump 80cms!

lannerch

Visit site
I think you missed the point , I think like buying a house if your wish list is too long then no amount of money will find you the perfect horse as that perfect horse probably does not exist even more so if you are on a restricted search area .

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
Have you thought about going to Llanybydder Market? There are some really nice horses going through there at the moment. Last Thursday of the month. It is chancey but there is a FB group so you can do a bit of sleuthing beforehand.

Horse2018

Visit site
My point is you cannot have the perfect horse and she is looking for a big boned which would be a cob type of buld and no grays no meres etc. she’s is left with a very limited choice of horses and probably will no find anything that suits .

be positive

Visit site
My point is you cannot have the perfect horse and she is looking for a big boned which would be a cob type of buld and no grays no meres etc. she’s is left with a very limited choice of horses and probably will no find anything that suits .

The OP wants a horse with a decent amount of bone in relation to its size, which should be possible without it being a cob, although they have not ruled out cobs it could be a proper M/W hunter type which I agree is not easy to find, the 'perfect' horse does exist, most of us have one in our eyes if not in other peoples.

It is what compromises we are prepared to make that is so important, some points have to be adhered to for various reasons, sometimes outside our control such as no mares on the yard, most people will be happy to wait and keep looking and the ideal horse will turn up often when or where least expected, it may not be perfect but it should tick the majority of the boxes.

lannerch

Visit site
I'm not sure I class driving from Wales to Northampton as a restricted search area! I once went to Essex on a whim, but generally never go more than about 40miles. Its not worth it when so many arent remotely as described sadly.
No but I do regard within 2 hours drive of Cardiff rather restrictive as stated in your original posts .

milliepops

Visit site
No but I do regard within 2 hours drive of Cardiff rather restrictive as stated in your original posts .
eh? LW isn't the one horse hunting ;)

eta there are a lot of horses within 2 hours radius of cardiff, i don't think it's an unreasonable search area, though obv the further you are prepared to go the higher the chance of someone on here finding one suitable.

lannerch

Visit site
eh? LW isn't the one horse hunting ;)

eta there are a lot of horses within 2 hours radius of cardiff, i don't think it's an unreasonable search area, though obv the further you are prepared to go the higher the chance of someone on here finding one suitable.
Sorry cross out your and insert instead the, we then get to the same point . Restrictive particularly as the search has such a long wish list .

milliepops

Visit site
The OP has written a lot of points down but that reads to me like she's basically wanting a nice all-rounder type, within a height range. I agree that having to look only at geldings cuts out 50% of the horse population but I understand the reason. It seems to me that the bigger problem she's encountered so far has been the number of mis-described horses for sale resulting in wasted trips, not the criteria she's set.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
As a buyer, I want to know that the horse I'm enquiring about fulfils basic criteria such as height, location, general type and aptitude and price before I will pick up the phone, but as a serious buyer I will pick up the phone .....
As a seller, I won't entertain someone coming to see my horse unless I have spoken to them.... I'll happily send full details and videos by message but I do want to talk to you. And finally, having also previously been of the view that good mature horses don't change hands very often, I have discovered this is not the case for children's and teenagers ponies and horses and that here, in fact, good ones change hands approximately every two years because they are outgrown either in size or ability. So local pony clubs and pony club classified ads are a good hunting ground for all round types. .

Agree with all of this. I am after a (full up) 14.2 - 15.3hh horse, between 5 and 12 and within 2 hours of me. And this horse was - hence the PM. But that search criteria is far too wide so yes I do want more info before picking up the phone. I am not a time waster or a dreamer. But I don't want to waste my own time either.

All the PC instructors are on the lookout for me and of all the reasons for sale, I am hoping for outgrown! Or child off to uni. Or even just a mismatch but I can't see why someone would pass on a horse who was right for us for 'mismatch' reasons as I basically want what everyone wants - a nice, straightforward horse. So too sharp or too laid back for someone else would probably be too sharp or laid back for us as well. And I never really believe the 'wasted with me' line tbh.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
there are horses around that fit the criteria but they seem to be in the south west and generally the south of the country. if the horses are exactly as described it would be worth the journey but as most of them seem to be a little sparing with the truth the OP will spend a fortune in fuel and lose lots of time which in itself is valuable. the budget is fine for what she wants and it just needs a bit of patience ..she has been looking at horses priced up to £8000 in the hope someone would take an offer so not a low budget at all.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just looked on HQ, 214282, is in the north and sounds right for annagain.
214832 midlands (has a sarcoid on belly)
213083 south west
214797 east anglia
213775 oxon

they all sound like they would suit but most would be a long journey from cardiff. i really like the sound of the first one and he would be closer ( i think)

Annagain

Visit site
Blimey, I disappear for a day or two and I come back to 4 pages :D. Thanks to those who messaged be about the grey. He is indeed lovely but sadly I can’t even drive at the moment thanks to my hamstring so by the time I will be able to ride to try him I imagine he’ll be gone. I phoned to ask about him but couldn’t get through so have left a message. It’s given me another dealer to follow at the very least!

I know I’ll get there, just in pain and a bit fed up at the moment as I’m seeing nice horses I can’t try so worrying about missing out on them.

I do think it’s a bit amusing that the thread about the ID says she’s over priced at £6k when, if she is as described (which is a whole other issue), other than being a mare and grey (which I realise I might have to change my mind about and doesn’t affect price) she’s pretty much what I’d be looking for. Meanwhile, I get told £7k isn’t enough!

Annagain

Visit site
just looked on HQ, 214282, is in the north and sounds right for annagain.
214832 midlands (has a sarcoid on belly)
213083 south west
214797 east anglia
213775 oxon

they all sound like they would suit but most would be a long journey from cardiff. i really like the sound of the first one and he would be closer ( i think)

Thanks for these, I have seen most of them and discounted them for one reason or another.
214282 has a pretty consistently dodgy BE record over several years. While I don’t necessarily want to affiliate, I do want to at least do unaffiliated 80/90 and he’s obviously not reliable even at those heights.

I haven’t ruled 214832 out completely but I’m a bit concerned about him looking for a new home after only three months. I phoned about him earlier today but the person was competing and was supposed to get back to me but hasn’t so I’ll try again tomorrow.

I phoned about 213083 a while back. She had a 2nd viewing on him and was going to phone me back if he didn’t sell. She didn’t, so I assume he sold.

The last two are too far away (the oxon one is actually in Scotland!). I have already widened the search area but East Anglia is at least 5 hours and Scotland, well it’s 7 hours to the border!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If that mare was worth 6k she would have sold the market will fix the price .
I would not have thought that mare had enough timber for you .

Annagain

Visit site
If that mare was worth 6k she would have sold the market will fix the price .
I would not have thought that mare had enough timber for you .
I didn’t mean her specifically, just that she would be the type - in terms of experience, ability and temperament. I appreciate once you go over 16hh the price goes up, but by more than £1k? Having said that, the grey is only £6750. (Only :rolleyes:)

Goldenstar

Visit site
not easy to find
That’s the first get in the car horse I have seen in months he looks ideal for my search
A bay version of him would be ideal for you .
I was seriously tempted to bring forward my serious search when I saw him only the extreme distance held me back .
My budget for this purchase is not more than twelve k