I've just killed a pony

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Long story short, little pony had to be moved 'cos OH needed to bring the tractor through where he was. I moved him and tied him with a long rope to a fence post next to the hedge where there was some really tasty long grass and nothing he could get caught up in.

I left him for 10 minutes and when I came back to get him he was just standing, no rope tangled or anything, but hind leg dangling.

Vet out, broken hock, just like that!

He was my nephew's pony and only five years old. I feel s**t.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that.
Try not to think how you are...they are self harmers. It was a tragic accident.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Oh how awful, not much to say except I'm so sorry :( we can't always anticipate what may happen and sometimes accidents happen with the silliest things we could never predict :( *hugs*

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Oh bloody hell, I really feel for you, it can happen in the twinkling of an eye:(

At least you were there, able to get the vet out swiftly and get the situation resolved with as few dramatics as possible.

RIP pony and sending best wishes to you for having to deal with it, and the pony's other family who will feel the loss.

Clodagh

Visit site
Of course she hasn't, and she is so proud of her 5 word posts for everything she never stops to think either.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Amymay, so often you are the voice of reason, so often you know when to bide your time or bite your tongue. What happened this time?

How very many ponies are tied up with a long rope, or tethered, or tied up to wildly inappropriate objects and nothing goes wrong? I think accident, rather than lesson, don't you?

ladyt25

Visit site
How awful :-( Not much more you can say really. So sad though and I am really sorry. Do you think he panicked hearing/seeing the tractor? I guess all can be learnt is to not leave them unattended. People do it all the time though - ie ay show's, for ages. 99% of the time everything is ok. RIP little pony

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
I have. I've not ended up having to have something destroyed because of it though.

Well, that's fine and dandy for you then. I can't be bothered to get into a discussion with you because I imagine your superiority complex gets in the way of rational debate... and I'm upset!

Tiffany

Visit site
So sorry to hear your sad news. I'm sure the majority of us have left horses/ponies tied for a few minutes unattended so, could have happened to any of us. :(

ladyt25

Visit site
You don't have to have left a horse for minutes, these things can happen in seconds. I know that's no comfort and I know how hideous you must feel. Similar things have happen mist of us

EllenJay

Visit site
I'm really sorry. Don't think you actually "killed a pony" it was just one of those things. Big cuddle as you probably need it xx

ladyt25

Visit site
... Most of us (I hate my phone!!) at sometime. I know I've been there. Amymay must just have been lucky!!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
How awful :-( Not much more you can say really. So sad though and I am really sorry. Do you think he panicked hearing/seeing the tractor? I guess all can be learnt is to not leave them unattended. People do it all the time though - ie ay show's, for ages. 99% of the time everything is ok. RIP little pony

No panic, I held him when the tractor went past and then tied him up to put some hay out for the horses. I was gone 10 minutes.

babymare

Visit site
Omg hun thats awful. tragic accident and but for grace of god if we are all honest we could all look back and think of a moment that could have gone wrong. hun be kind on self and hugs to you and all concerned x

DragonSlayer

Visit site
You don't have to have left a horse for minutes, these things can happen in seconds. I know that's no comfort and I know how hideous you must feel. Similar things have happen mist of us

Indeed they do.

A friend witnessed a horse just stroll across the paddock and his leg just snapped under him. No trotting or leaping about, just strolling....

Hugs SF :(