I've just killed a pony

Oberon

Visit site
Long story short, little pony had to be moved 'cos OH needed to bring the tractor through where he was. I moved him and tied him with a long rope to a fence post next to the hedge where there was some really tasty long grass and nothing he could get caught up in.

I left him for 10 minutes and when I came back to get him he was just standing, no rope tangled or anything, but hind leg dangling.

Vet out, broken hock, just like that!

He was my nephew's pony and only five years old. I feel s**t.

You aren't psychic.

Tragic accidents happen. Beating yourself up won't do anything but give you bruises.

It could have happened in the field and you discovered him 12 hours later......

ladyt25

Visit site
Well, I hope you're not blaming yourself. I know I am the kind of person who always does but sadly these things do happen. Doesn't make it easier to get your head round though :-(

FinalFurlong

Visit site
hugs OP, like it has been said its just one of those things :(

Field, tied up, whatever. Just one of those things. I could very well go get my horse in from the field tomorrow and experience it too.

quirky

Visit site
How sad and awful at the same time.
Try not to beat yourself up over it, however much you may want to, it isn't going to make the outcome any different :(

Beau jangles

Visit site
What a shame but it was just a tragic accident , do not beat yourself up about it as it won't change what has happened.
I can't believe how insensitive some people are on here , keyboard gangsters !
Thoughts are with you, as i have had a horse break its leg in the field and its one of the worst things I think that can happen .

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I'm going to have a drink now, and another wee cry. But thank you all for your good wishes. Nephew is only three so I'm not sure he'll be too upset, well, at least not for long.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Oh god so sorry about that! It could have happened to anyone so please don't beat yourself up! We always do things that we thinks safe but horses being horse can find themselves in the trickiest of places. Don't put yourself down at least you found him and tended to him. Rip little pony :) xxx

Fuzznugget

gloucestershirehorseriders.webs.com
So sorry! Big hugs to you all. I left a horse in cross ties to walk up the barn isle while waiting for the vet, was gone less than 2 minutes & came back to horse with massive fresh gash in his leg. I know it's not much consolation, but it happens. Don't be too hard on yourself!

Ahrena

Visit site
You poor thing! Nothing anyone can say will make you feel better right now, but as others have said, it was a tragic accident.

teamsarazara

Visit site
AmyMay you don't seem to have anything nice to say to anyone :( especially when the OP is obviously upset and nothing could be done.

LMJ

Visit site
Sorry S.F to hear of your terrible day. Sadly these things happen :( . Sending you a big hug xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

blackhor2e

Visit site
What a tragic accident! Don't feel too terrible, it must feel very bad now but you weren't to know anything like this could happen to even the most diligent horse owner.

Rebels

Visit site
You've not killed a pony, you've dealt quickly and responsibly with a pony that's had an accident and done something that some owners wished for when they find their horse hurt in the field which is immediate care. What's to say he didn't have a weakness that just went which could have gone any when.

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear this OP. These things happen, but I don't think you killed the pony either- don't be so harsh on yourself. RIP little pony

Mongoose11

Visit site
Very sorry to hear this. Poor lad, who knows what happened but let's face it you'll never know if it had anything to do with being tied to the post or not. It just happened in coincidental circumstances due to his own actions, not necessarily yours. Sorry for everyone involved x

babymare

Visit site
Amymay i always have respect reading your posts but like othets not tonight. We can all hold our hands up and say eeeeekkkkk . compassion is sometimes needed. OP certainly didnt set out for this to happen and is obviously upset. compassion is a good thing. And hind sight is a gift none of us have . sorry i had to say this as your posts actually upset me :(

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
No, not feeling great. I had the pony put down where he was so as not to cause him any more pain than was necessary. This place was inaccessible for him to be picked up and taken away so OH and I had to put the poor little feller on a rug and drag him to where the lorry could pick him up and take him away.

Not much fun.

windand rain

Visit site
You havent killed a pony said pony had an accident. Not your fault at all. As several people have said a pony breaking his leg can happen at any time. I bet those being unkind even if they have never had one PTS still ride, turn out, hack out, jump or do any manner of things that "cause" freak accidents.

What lesson could be learned he may well have done it turning round quickly to see something you will never know but is is not your fault so dont even think it may be

You didnt set out to kill him it just happened sadly to you but it could have been any one of us and there but for the grace of god go I

Polos Mum

Visit site
Very sad for you, try not to be too hard on yourself, everyone who's ever been involved in an accident of any kind spends time thinking 'what if'. As others have said it doesn't change what happened.

I personally can't see you did anything different to what 1000's of horse owners did aswell today - a very unfortunately accident.

ludlow

Visit site
So sorry to hear your news SF, must be a very sad day for you. Its sounds like you dealt with the awful situation admirably. Unfortunately animals can seemingly injure themselves on this air sometimes, doesn't make it any easier though.

Sending a hug and big glass of wine x

babymare

Visit site
Oh hun you poor thing. so so hard on you. please please remember by making things harder for you you saved pony from more pain. please as said before try and be kind to youself. horses are horses and will get in to problems and for you its resulted in this but its not your fault hun . just wish could give you a big hug ))))))) (((((( x

horsebenny

Visit site
What a horrible thing to have to go through. By their very nature accidents happen when we least expect them. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with though...

dunkley

Visit site
SF - (((HUGS))) to you - what an awful, tragic thing to have happened :( As others have said, don't beat yourself up - he could just as easily fractured it in the field, hooning about as youngsters do. Whatever we say, you will feel utterly pants, and the last thing you need is some sanctimonious 'saint' saying 'I told you so' - or the internet equivalent. You have absolutely no idea what happened, so do NOT say 'you' killed him :( 'you' didn't - 'it' happened, somehow, and as soon as you found him you did absolutely the right thing for him. Have a drink, have some chocolate, and be thankful you found him straight away, which you wouldn't had he done it overnight in the field. xxx