I've just killed a pony

doriangrey

Visit site
Yes, I saw that. I just think that people were upset as what they saw (rightly or wrongly) was an attack on her ability to look after the pony appropriately. In the meantime it was sorted but they were still up in arms, actually on her behalf but did you no favours, that's all.

doriangrey

Visit site
Absolutely, and I hope you take this in the same spirit!! But, I think if you had made your peace on the forum to the OP instead of privately it might have made the thread a lot shorter :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
What a terribly sad accident.

However, having read this thread, I'm a bit befuddled.

While no one wants to make the OP feel bad, as it was such a tragedy, however, I thought it was accepted that horses shouldn't be left alone when tied due to the risk of injury.

Marydoll

Visit site
What a terribly sad accident.

However, having read this thread, I'm a bit befuddled.

While no one wants to make the OP feel bad, as it was such a tragedy, however, I thought it was accepted that horses shouldn't be left alone when tied due to the risk of injury.

Theyre left alone tied in trailers, outside trailers and lorries at shows every day.
We all leave them albeit for seconds or a few minutes unless weve someone with us to special the horse every day.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Funny how she rarely/never asks for advice or talks about her own life with horses either.

Actually she has done- In a heart felt way, I've also read more unkind comments today in the last few pages of this thread

OP- I seriously feel for you and truly feel you are not too blame. I cant begin to imagine how on earth a pony could become so tangled he could break a limb yet be calm and untangled minutes later and wonder if an underlying issue was actually the cause.

Last year I took a sound horse from its stable to a wash box, washed it off and led it out....with a broken leg :( Its recovered in that he's probably retired we don't know yet but he was operated on and lived. However this shows that weird things happen, he must have had a unstable bone or something as I know with absolute certainty nothing happened in the wash box.

Please don't blame yourself its not your fault, accidents happen.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Theyre left alone tied in trailers, outside trailers and lorries at shows every day.
We all leave them albeit for seconds or a few minutes unless weve someone with us to special the horse every day.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that the reason for the OP's horse's injury is unknown, it may well have been nothing to do with being tied up.

That said, the issue of leaving unattended horses tied has arisen on this thread and I feel that to condone the practice is not good.

Some people of course do leave horses unattended in the circumstances that you mention, but some posters have suggested, anyone who says they don't, is a liar.

I do not and I'm not a lair.
Having seen horses, tied short, that managed to get themselves caught in ways that defied probability while the owner was standing near by, is not that rare.
On two occasions horses have been saved from serious injury because scissors were kept within easy reach on the yard.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Far enough. Think I was compelled to say something as I have been offended by AM in the past. I'm pleased that they have made their peace though.

To say that you have been offended in the past is a bit big after the comments about AM you have been coming out with, ie, saying she would be the person on a yard that nobody listens to is offensive and makes you look as bad!

AM and OP had sorted this out, who cares whether its done in private or on the thread, its nothing to do with any of us but AM and the OP. It was a tactless remark perhaps, but does not merit posts and posts of Monty Python-esque floggings!

Can we not let this drop now!!

Marydoll

Visit site
Firstly, I'd like to point out that the reason for the OP's horse's injury is unknown, it may well have been nothing to do with being tied up.

That said, the issue of leaving unattended horses tied has arisen on this thread and I feel that to condone the practice is not good.

Some people of course do leave horses unattended in the circumstances that you mention, but some posters have suggested, anyone who says they don't, is a liar.

Having seen horses, tied short, that managed to get themselves caught in ways that defied probability while the owner was standing near by, is not that rare.
On two occasions horses have been saved from serious injury because scissors were kept within easy reach on the yard.

I am well aware we dont know what happened with this pony, i say so in my post. If you can get through a day with tying your horse up and Not taking uour eyes off it, good for you.
I have never called you a liar, so suggest that you aim this post at those who did and not me thank you

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I am well aware we dont know what happened with this pony, i say so in my post. If you can get through a day with tying your horse up and Not taking uour eyes off it, good for you.
I have never called you a liar, so suggest that you aim this post at those who did and not me thank you

Hang on a minute, if you read my post before becoming outraged, you'll see that I specifically said' but some posters have suggested.' that anyone who says they don't, is a liar.

I don't recall, you saying that, so therefore, I wasn't saying you did.

My reference to your quote was' Some people do leave horses unattended in the circumstances you mention.'

I'm aware that there are horses unattended at shows and at home on the yard, but I don't and usually,its quite common for people just to ask someone to watch their horse if they need to pop off for a few minutes.

This whole debate is the sad result of a number of bandwagon jumpers rushing to castigate AM, unreasonably.
Such a shame, that the thread has been taken over this way, but condoning the practice would be to mislead new owners or young people who might be unaware of the risk that can happen with tied horses.

jofwigby

Visit site
Horses can be as tough as nails but can shatter like glass - we all know this !

Mucking out other day, I tied a friends horse up outside the box - nice and short, could see him as I made busy. Just finishing off and I thought 'oh what a good boy standing nice and quiet' but couldnt see his head . . . looked out to catch him headfirst into the innards of a tumble dryer - 'Oi' I said quietly and his lovely face appeared covered ears to chin in lint.

Lexie81

Visit site
So sad :( we left our daughters pony in his box for a couple of hours last june. 24 year old little welshie, chilled as anything and happy munching when we left him. Came back to get him out and his had fractured his femur. No Idea how just a tragic freak thing. Its such a shock....hugs x

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Lexie81 same thing happened to a friends mare . Fed at 8pm and when checked at 10pm had a broken leg . Bed was undisturbed so being cast wasn't the cause . Had lived for the 18 years friend had owned her in same box with no problem . Sometimes they do break just walking around . Another friend lost one of his stallions as he walked to the gate and the cannon bone shattered . RIP little ponies .

Mariposa

Visit site
Sounds like a tragic accident, I'm so sorry for your loss, but you can't blame yourself, it was a freak accident.

lula

Visit site
Heavens ! don't apologise SF
I despair of this forum at times, just when you needed reasurance and comfort along come the pack with their axes to grind and points to score of each other.
Anyone who says they hav'nt left a pony tied up on his/her own for a couple of minutes is a born fibber.

ffs, give it a rest.

lula

Visit site
I just think that she is the sort of person with a lot of opinions that nobody would listen to on a livery yard, so she comes on here to offer them instead; often in a less than polite manner that is disguised as 'straight talking'. She has never said anything on any of my posts that offer advice or add to the discussion. At least they are short and so easy to ignore/overlook! Funny how she rarely/never asks for advice or talks about her own life with horses either.

what is funny about that please? is it obligatory to write your autobiography now?

frankly, i think what you've done here is pretty low, using this thread to give your seemingly very bitter and hugely judgmental personal opinion of a poster you will find if you take the trouble to look, is knowledgeable, well respected and is very helpful in offering sound advice to many posters on HHO as others have already said.

Just because she doesn't always sugar coat every post in platitudes like some it doesnt make her opinion any less valid and nine times out of ten she is bang spot on with her logic and common sense.

Now, can we please just drop what has become rather shameful attack now.

If the Op bears no grudges for first AM's posts then there isn't a reason in the world why you shouldn't either and your personal feelings about other posters are completely irrelevant to this thread.

Last edited:

Marydoll

Visit site
Hang on a minute, if you read my post before becoming outraged, you'll see that I specifically said' but some posters have suggested.' that anyone who says they don't, is a liar.

I don't recall, you saying that, so therefore, I wasn't saying you did.

My reference to your quote was' Some people do leave horses unattended in the circumstances you mention.'

I'm aware that there are horses unattended at shows and at home on the yard, but I don't and usually,its quite common for people just to ask someone to watch their horse if they need to pop off for a few minutes.

This whole debate is the sad result of a number of bandwagon jumpers rushing to castigate AM, unreasonably.
Such a shame, that the thread has been taken over this way, but condoning the practice would be to mislead new owners or young people who might be unaware of the risk that can happen with tied horses.

I did read your post, and am certainly not outraged but failed to uderstand why you linked through my post stating you werent a liar, when i hadnt said you were, thats all :confused:
And again because people have similar views doesnt make them "bandwagon jumpers" but people with similar views, no more no less

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I did read your post, and am certainly not outraged but failed to uderstand why you linked through my post stating you werent a liar, when i hadnt said you were, thats all :confused:
And again because people have similar views doesnt make them "bandwagon jumpers" but people with similar views, no more no less

Once again. I quoted your post because it was relevant to the assertion that leaving tied up horses is common practice. It isn't in my experience.
I then deliberately unlinked you from posters who claim that anyone who says differently is a lair by the words ' BUT some posters have suggested.

Your other objection from my post- the use of the phrase bandwagon jumper;
A definition of jumping on the bandwagon from the Urban dictionary;
When someone adopts a popular point of view for the primary purpose of recognition and/or acceptance by others.
While it is fair to say some forum users are independent thinkers, others are not.

Expressing a similar view is a different thing altogether,as the writer has not been influenced by others preceding her and couldn't care less whether her view is in common with everyone else or not.
Independent thinkers should be quite secure in the knowledge that the term bandwagon does not apply to them.

scarymare

Visit site

Same here but I now also keep wire cutters for fences in my car. I had to learn this one the hard way though and I'll bet very few people could lay their hands on these in seconds if they needed to for a caught up horse. Its all about experience and learning. I feel dreadfully sorry for the OP, who is probably well on the way to safety OCD by now and who has learned the hard way. My father in law who farms saw a champion calf hanged by its rope a couple of years ago at an agri-show. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Marydoll

Visit site
Once again. I quoted your post because it was relevant to the assertion that leaving tied up horses is common practice. It isn't in my experience.
I then deliberately unlinked you from posters who claim that anyone who says differently is a lair by the words ' BUT some posters have suggested.

Your other objection from my post- the use of the phrase bandwagon jumper;
A definition of jumping on the bandwagon from the Urban dictionary;
When someone adopts a popular point of view for the primary purpose of recognition and/or acceptance by others.
While it is fair to say some forum users are independent thinkers, others are not.

Expressing a similar view is a different thing altogether,as the writer has not been influenced by others preceding her and couldn't care less whether her view is in common with everyone else or not.
Independent thinkers should be quite secure in the knowledge that the term bandwagon does not apply to them.

ONCE AGAIN,:D all i asked for was some clarification, so why are you getting so offhand and your knickers in a twist ? There was no need for your opening smart comment, you link into someones post, its understandable to think their comments are aimed at you, is it not ? I think youve made yourself quite clear now albeit in a smart ar$e attempt at trying to be ever so superior. But fear not, i am pretty secure in the myself and the knowledge im not jumping on any "bandwagon" and will continue to interperate posts as i see them, and if i feel the need to ask someone to clarify i will, even if it means having to read smug posts like yours

YasandCrystal

Visit site
As careful as we may all try and be, accidents do happen. Look at the kicks sustained by people lunging or injured hands - do you ALL wear hats and gloves? I do sometimes, but not always.

The poor lady who undid her trailer ramp standing underneath it and sustained a serious head injury as the horse leapt onto it as it had got loose - her poor husband came on here to give a warning only to be shot down by the know-it-alls stating they would NEVER stand under a ramp. It is easy to make a mistake and we all gain by listening and learning from these stories. Also we all have to start listening, being reminded and learning somewhere so stating the obvious should be welcomed as a warning.

I used a controller headcolllar on my strong youngster and of course I know never to tie up using these, however I was only grooming him as he ate his feed in his stable loose, so I left the headcollar on - I was with him the entire time. He put his head over the door and the wood on the new stable door had expanded so I could not easily shoot the bolt fully across - he caught the loop of the headcollar on the bolt shoot end - he pulled back and pulled and you can imagine how horrific that was at the time and could so easily have ended with a broken neck, but for my quick thinking son coaxing him out of the blind panic with a polo so i could undo the headcollar. So yes accidents happen to everyone at sometime or near misses at the very least. We just need to try and minimise the risk without being ridiculous about it.

My pet hate is individually turned out horses all booted up to avoid injury. A horse is a horse firstly and imo some risks are worth taking.

lula

Visit site
Agree with Yas.

It was a freak accident. This would have been fine 99 times out of 100 and im not above saying ive left a horse (within hearing distance) while i rushed to the tack room to get something, house, lorry etc. all sorts of reasons.

You can take sensible precautions but you cant wrap a horse up in cotton wool. Well, you can but he'd look pretty silly.

Hard not to blame your self in these circs but im sure when the shock has worn off OP will realise she wasn't negligent.