I've just killed a pony

Marydoll

Visit site
SF .. The most important lesson you have learnt from this,is not to post any further inccidents on this forum , because either you will be ripped to bits or a fellow poster will be,:rolleyes:
Best to stay a lurker ;)

Completely disagree, this forum is great for advice and support, but you need to be able to look past the knarly bits to reach some real gems ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Completely disagree, this forum is great for advice and support, but you need to be able to look past the knarly bits to reach some real gems ;)

Entirely agree - look past the childish name calling and blunt posts and focus on the kindness, support and friendliness of so many others. Not to mention all the constructive advice, information and sharing of experience on other threads...

Jingleballs

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss. A freak accident with no one directly to blame and ultimately a cautionary tale and reminder that unfortunately everything we do carries an element of risk.

Don't beat yourself up about it OP - most of us have done the same or similar things in the past and none of us have had an issue - you and the pony were simply unlucky.

It am also very sad (but not surprised) to see what this thread has descended into - certain posters just seem to love a good argument regardless of the situation and if AmyMay's initial comment was tactless, some of the other comments & banter have been equally so.

I hope you feel better about things today x

Marydoll

Visit site
Entirely agree - look past the childish name calling and blunt posts and focus on the kindness, support and friendliness of so many others. Not to mention all the constructive advice, information and sharing of experience on other threads...[/QUOTE

Here they come again !:rolleyes:
Have pm'ed you with history SF X

Im really not quite sure what youre trying to get at here :confused:

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
We dont live in a perfect world Accidents and SH** happens dont beat yourself up about something you wouldnt want to have or thought would happened.

DressageCob

Visit site
If the rope wasn't tangled, the pony was just standing there it doesn't sound like standing supervising the pony would have made a difference. The pony may have just stepped into a rabbit hole, moved back for grass and mistepped, or an existing weak spot was put under strain.

Unfortunately some things are genuinely just one of those things. Some things have no rhyme or reason.

I'm sorry for your loss and please try not to blame yourself.

Tinsel Town

Visit site
So sorry for your loss :( what an awful situation for you, please don't blame yourself for what happened.
((((Hugs))))

undergroundoli

Visit site
I'm so sorry, sometimes stuff happens. It doesn't sound like being tied was a factor in your ponys accident to me, but thanks for shareing; you've scared me out of leaving horses tied up alone.
IMO this threads taking a turn for the wierd now, which I don't thinks suitable given its about a tragic accident.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thank you all. I apologise, I was very emotional yesterday. I apologise
also to AM, I didn't want this to turn into a witch hunt.

I have had horses all my life and come from a family of horse people. This is the first accident we've had. I feel awful for what has happened. So much can happen in 10 minutes.

Thank you for your kind words.

you don't need to appologise, accidents happen. Horses / ponies can get injured anytime - anyhow- any age-any size. If they are worth £ 1000 or hundreds

We all leave horse un attended at some point - I do not believe anyone doesn't inc AM.

If for example:

you feel sick and have to rush to bathroom
WC
answer phone
get horsebox out
rush to aid someone else
the list goes on.
pulls back panics rushed off trips- falls

the list goes on

This was a pure freak accident, no one could have predicted it. You left the pony safe.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Glad you're ok OP, and I admire your mature posts today. Glad you and AM have cleared the air too. For what its worth, I don't think this thread was a pack thread, there were a lot of adult, caring responses on here - long before Alec. There were one or two baying for blood and being rude because they thought someone else was being rude, but otherwise a typical HHO experience all rolled into one - drama, emotion, sympathy, empathy, a bit of scorn, a tad of humour, and some total bizzare bits that none of us quite understand!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Glad you're ok OP, and I admire your mature posts today. Glad you and AM have cleared the air too. For what its worth, I don't think this thread was a pack thread, there were a lot of adult, caring responses on here - long before Alec. There were one or two baying for blood and being rude because they thought someone else was being rude, but otherwise a typical HHO experience all rolled into one - drama, emotion, sympathy, empathy, a bit of scorn, a tad of humour, and some total bizzare bits that none of us quite understand!

^^^ *THAT*^^^

cornbrodolly

Visit site
O P- a terrible thing to happen to you , and I hope you dont blame yourself too much. As everyone has said - accidents happen . I dont think the tying up was the cause- surely the rope would have been twisted around the leg , or at least signs of a struggle? sounds like a freak accident and nothing to do with the rope.
I ve worked with horses for 40 ish years, and never heard of the rule ' never leave them tied unattended'. How impractical is that?
Riding schools tack up and leave for ages.
Any horse travelling is 'unattended' , yet tied.
Horses are then left tied on the box, or off, at shows and competitions. Americans still use 'hitching rails',not just in Western films.
Gypsy & other tethered horses - must be thousands of them.
So please dont blame yourself OP, you did nothing any one of hasnt done at some time.Hugs

risky business

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss, it was an accident and beating yourself up about it won't change the out come unfortunately.

I'm sorry your thread seems to be heading in a less than desirable direction now. It's a real shame members cannot sort their differences out away from someone who clearly started this thread distressed and needing support.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the pony. Everyone has done daft things at some point. I once had to tie my old mare up to a gate, no other alternative and she freked and pulled the gate off its hinges and the strainers to an angle before her reins broke.. So I had an unsecure field, a horse galloping around with all her tack on and blood pissing from my hand trying to decide which to deal with first - fun when you are 14!

Queenbee

Visit site
I must confess, I am no connoisseur of handbags!

AAAAArZ7h7oAAAAAAFQTnw.jpg

Use a Chloe paddington handbag... One clunk from that padlock and its 'game over' sucker weighs a ton!

Last edited:
Visit site
Such sad news. Sorry for your loss. Please do take strength from what the other posters have said.
I know it's no consolation but we do all have things happen that shouldn't / could have been avoided. If we are lucky they result in a scratched car or smashed plate. This sadly was more serious.
I'm pleased for you that he nephew is tiny, as you say, hopefully it won't be too troubling for him.
Thinking of you x

Queenbee

Visit site
I must confess, I am no connoisseur of handbags!

This pic has reminded me of that thread about the 'tap'!! Anyone remember the handbag pic??:D

It is one of my hugest HHO regrets that I never saw that thread... It is legendary!

Pmsl :D careful banter isn't allowed on this thread, maybe it should be left to it now :)
I don't know, I reckon Mental images of you and JFTD brandishing handbags and growling with the dawn breaking in the background may cheer her up.:eek::)

What I want to know is who the cluck is DDolly with 87 posts and a knowledge of posting history, or rather who was DDolly:confused:

I'm always so slow on the uptake:rolleyes::D

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
It is one of my hugest HHO regrets that I never saw that thread... It is legendary!

I don't know, I reckon Mental images of you and JFTD brandishing handbags and growling with the dawn breaking in the background may cheer her up.:eek::)

What I want to know is who the cluck is DDolly with 87 posts and a knowledge of posting history, or rather who was DDolly:confused:

I'm always so slow on the uptake:rolleyes::D

Lol yep it was cheering me up anyway :D but I guess a sense of humour transplant is sometimes needed, or if failing that a distraction from unpleasantness :)

jeeve

Visit site
I agree that we all do things that we mostly get away with, and sometimes we don't.

Try not to stress out - you cannot change it. Dom't be too hard on yourself.

I made a bad mistake last week with my son. i understand why I did it, it has resulted in a bad situation. i just have to accept that I am not perfect and avoid putting myself in the same situation again.

Be kind to yourself.

Ladyinred

Visit site
He who doth quote my post and reference "history" which is apparently the business of the OP? :confused:

Amusing to see DaydreamDolly doing exactly what she accuses others of doing!!

I get the feeling HHO is not going to prove to be the right place for her....

scarymare

Visit site
Glad you are feeling better OP. Fullly get how you are blaming yourself but please don't beat yourself up.

I never tie up without fieldsafe Headcollar, trailer tie and worked through twine. I have brand new electric fencing and anti-wind field shelters. I am safety OCD personified.

Has it helped - no. Lost a horse in a freak storm in December when crushed by one of said windproof shelters (must have been a freak gust well over 100mph) and also nearly lost a mare who degloved a hock on my 10K fencing.

Fact is that however careful you are accidents will happen. It is a statistical fact and you can't mitigate for everything. I always find that there is a 'chaoic chain' leading up to every accident and any one of about 10 different actions would have affected the outcome.

SusieT

Visit site
If this post was 'my loaner tied my pony up and left him so long he injured himself' the opinons would be very different. Instead of justifying OP's actions which in all probability did cause the injury, it would be more reasonable to say, yes she's upset,and this is why horse should not be tied 'long' to graze gras as they get stuck and panick. unlikely that he was just standing quietly and his leg snapped. Instead of argueing with people who are saying that was a silly thing, accept it as this is a public forum.

Marydoll

Visit site
If this post was 'my loaner tied my pony up and left him so long he injured himself' the opinons would be very different. Instead of justifying OP's actions which in all probability did cause the injury, it would be more reasonable to say, yes she's upset,and this is why horse should not be tied 'long' to graze gras as they get stuck and panick. unlikely that he was just standing quietly and his leg snapped. Instead of argueing with people who are saying that was a silly thing, accept it as this is a public forum.

Uncalled for and nasty