Jack's Birmingham Adventure!!

Hattikins

Visit site
Well what an experience HOYS has been, what a truly special time we have had, and despite no placing, Jack was a complete superstar and we meet some lovely lovely people including Pootleperkin who will no doubt wow the crowds next year once G is mended!

I had never been before not even to watch and boy what a show! Jack was a saint, we were warned that horses struggle with the atmosphere of the caldene arena, Jack begged to differ! Instead he found the horse walk in the dark down to the caldene arena for evening exercise far more exciting probably due to the high speed trains 40 feet from him whizzing past and he proudly produced his ministry of silly walks not that I blame him!!

In the class itself he was just a sweetie, we are under no illusion that he's not a show horse but as a "Riding Club show horse" he pretty damn well ticks every box. The search for a star classes are unique in that the judges are miked up and comment to the audience about the horses throughout the class. Katie Jerram "got" Jack and was very complimentary about him, Robert Oliver on the other hand made some valid points but also made a couple of slightly unnecessary remarks making it very clear that he disliked Jack which was a little unfair in front of a packed audience but I took it on the chin....mostly because I was having such a jolly time I was oblivious to the PA system and didn't find out what had been said until after the class!! Needless to say we were unplaced but we have a beautiful finalist rosette and gorgeous photos to prove that my gypsy pony did in fact strut his stuff at HOYS!

So Jack now gets a well deserved mini holiday from competing to turn into a woolly mammoth! This year he has galloped round Badminton, cantered round the main arena at Hickstead on derby day and flicked his toes like only a gypsy pony pretending to be a show pony can at HOYS, he's a bit of a star!

A few photos hopefully below, got some lovely pro pics but sadly no permission to post, these will give some idea though :)

Warming up under the NEC cranes!
a226e01fd5b2c2a5810774793e61de1b.jpg

Shiney pony!
e09d14a16f71d8cd55eefe49bb36a00c.jpg

All over!
21f292c66433cde010c3f30dff1ee600.jpg

c1ea1ec1bc95f7755cc9d20bdcc41cee.jpg

Jack's not sure he wants a kiss but he's getting one anyway!
19497354afc89d014c16db6033ba2f9e.jpg

Last edited:

mil1212

Visit site
Well how fab, you cant beat a nice cow pony. How many horses that have been on the hallow turf of Badminton can also claim to have been to hoys and hickstead, thats some year.

Goya

Visit site
I watched your class and thought it difficult to understand exactly what the judges were looking for. The arena was full of super horses. My only thoughts were that they kept saying they were looking for a horse "anyone" could ride, but one highly placed horse was definitely unsettled in the final line up.
I think whatever your place however, you have done brilliantly to qualify and to ride their must have been a wonderful experience to remember for ever. If your photos are as lovely as my friend's then they will be treasured for ever.

Nicnac

Visit site
Wonderful pics and story. Super cow pony and he looks so pleased with himself in 3rd picture. Well done - what a fantastic year.

Willow1306

Visit site
My friend and I watched the class and both agreed yours was the only one we truly thought anybody could have sat on there, on that day, in that atmosphere. I was quite surprised by a couple of the placings as they seemed to contradict everything the judges claimed to be looking for.
Well done for qualifying!

Last edited:

Hattikins

Visit site
Well how fab, you cant beat a nice cow pony. How many horses that have been on the hallow turf of Badminton can also claim to have been to hoys and hickstead, thats some year.

Hehe yes he's a pretty versatile cow pony! He just keeps bringing home the goods no matter what we have a go at! Though I think we've probably reached the pinnacle now!

Hattikins

Visit site
Aw wow ! What a fabulous experience :smile3:

Congratulations on even getting there and he looks stunning !

Thank you! We had such an amazing time, I also hadn't realised quite how emotional I'd feel watching the championships and displays in the main arena, watching horses at their absolute best bought a tear to my eye!

Hattikins

Visit site
He looks lovely - what an exciting occasion for you both, and how lovely that you got a rosette even though you didn't place. I've no doubt you will treasure that and the memories for a long time. :)

Almost certainly forever, I never truly thought I'd get to HOYS ever and Jack made it a reality! It was lovely to get a finalist rosette, it will take pride of place at home for some time to come!

Hattikins

Visit site
I watched your class and thought it difficult to understand exactly what the judges were looking for. The arena was full of super horses. My only thoughts were that they kept saying they were looking for a horse "anyone" could ride, but one highly placed horse was definitely unsettled in the final line up.
I think whatever your place however, you have done brilliantly to qualify and to ride their must have been a wonderful experience to remember for ever. If your photos are as lovely as my friend's then they will be treasured for ever.

Completely agree, the most unsettled horses made the top 5, but hey that's showing and it's down to personal preference. We were not surprised that jack was unplaced but I'm content in the knowledge he is truly an all round superstar for me and I could have stuck a 5yr old on him and sent him into that arena and been sure he'd have looked after them :)

We've got some beautiful photos and secretly all I wanted was a photo that did him justice with HOYS 2013 underneath it!!

Hattikins

Visit site
My friend and I watched the class and both agreed yours was the only one we truly thought anybody could have sat on there, on that day, in that atmosphere. I was quite surprised by a couple of the placings as they seemed to contradict everything the judges claimed to be looking for.
Well done for qualifying!

Thank you for your kind comments, we really feel he optimises what a smart RC horse should be but also accept he is not your average show horse and for that reason he isn't to every judges taste. We had a ball though and Jack is just as happy today munching his head off in the field like all good gypsy ponies!

pootleperkin

Visit site
I thought it was a very difficult class to judge, as there were so many different types in there. After everyone had done their stuff, my money was actually on the girl who beat me into second in the qualifier at Osbaldeston on the big liver chestnut. The horse was one of only two to jump clear, and fulfilled the brief they kept banging on about of a sensible, granny could ride, riding club horse. However, she was a heavier type and although she goes well, didn't have the best paces in the ring and often wasn't tracking up. I was v surprised that she was only 5th though.......they put flashier above her I think.

Well done again Hattikins and Jack, you both looked fab and it was lovely meeting you. Made me feel a bit more part of the day having someone to say hello to in my class!

j1ffy

Visit site
What an amazing horse you have there, no wonder you are so pleased! Well done on qualifying and I hope he enjoys his well-deserved grass :D

humblepie

Visit site
Well done and glad you had a good time. It is quite a surreal experience, with the trains, scurry ponies, roads, airplanes etc, amazing how well most horses cope with it. Jack is a superstar and you have had the most fab year with him.

alphanumeric

Visit site
Ah hah! This report was much easier to find than I thought it would be (as I didn't even know your username)!! It was lovely to meet you, Jack and your mum and this is a fabulous write up. Well done :)

Hannah x

Hattikins

Visit site
I thought it was a very difficult class to judge, as there were so many different types in there. After everyone had done their stuff, my money was actually on the girl who beat me into second in the qualifier at Osbaldeston on the big liver chestnut. The horse was one of only two to jump clear, and fulfilled the brief they kept banging on about of a sensible, granny could ride, riding club horse. However, she was a heavier type and although she goes well, didn't have the best paces in the ring and often wasn't tracking up. I was v surprised that she was only 5th though.......they put flashier above her I think.

Well done again Hattikins and Jack, you both looked fab and it was lovely meeting you. Made me feel a bit more part of the day having someone to say hello to in my class!

Thank you and was very lovely to meet you too! You put on an incredibly brave face as I know it must have been so hard to come along anyway. As I've said before, all the best wishes to G for a speedy recovery and good luck next season! :D ps. completely agree with you about the placings, my Mum was standing with the 5th placed's Mum and they were shocked she wasn't higher, but I guess that's showing!

Hattikins

Visit site
Well done and glad you had a good time. It is quite a surreal experience, with the trains, scurry ponies, roads, airplanes etc, amazing how well most horses cope with it. Jack is a superstar and you have had the most fab year with him.

Thank you, I so want to produce something to get back there again! I guess it may take me a lifetime but it's worth a try :D It is so surreal isnt it!

Hattikins

Visit site
Ah hah! This report was much easier to find than I thought it would be (as I didn't even know your username)!! It was lovely to meet you, Jack and your mum and this is a fabulous write up. Well done :)

Hannah x

Thank you so much for weaving your magic! It was lovely to meet you too! and I promise I will leave the plaiting bands well and truly at home unless I'm out eventing!! :)

Tiffany

Visit site
Well done for getting to HOYS, what a massive achievement. You must be one very proud owner. He looks a lovely boy and I like the photos particularly, the second one. Should have caption competition for that one. :)

Hattikins

Visit site
Well done for getting to HOYS, what a massive achievement. You must be one very proud owner. He looks a lovely boy and I like the photos particularly, the second one. Should have caption competition for that one. :)

Thank you Tiffany! I'm a very proud owner, he just pulls the rabbit out of the hat every time! He's such a character, where there's Jack there is always a laugh to be had! :)