Jeremy Clarkson

Mince Pie

Visit site
Perhaps on a more serious note, I just do wonder if those who receive massive bonuses, and wages to match, the banking sector, were forced into accepting that in our worldwide recession, they are not prima donors, and need to accept less, then the striking section of our community, might find LESS, to be a little more palatable.

I know of many men who were earning £10 an hour and are now on £8. If they can accept that we live in straightened times, then why can't those who are now going on strike?

We're living through very difficult days, people. We need to cut our cloth, according to our means, and those who have decided that they are special cases, need to remove themselves from their own rear ends.

I'm sorry if life is difficult for you, but the rest of us are finding life a tad difficult too.

A. :(
Where is that damned 'like' button? :D

luckyoldme

Visit site
The comments were so ludicrous they were obviously tongue in cheek... but the union leaders are seeking legal advice.
I want to be a lawyer.. so many people are just desperate to throw good money at lawyers!!
cue lwayer posting to tell me i dont want to be a lawyer because its frightfully hard.

Anglebracket

Visit site
I don't find the comment made by Clarkson particularly funny or clever. But I am all for free speech and the guy is entitled to his opinion / sense of humour.

To those who are in favour of replacing people who go on strike with people who are currently unemployed, have you thought about the implications? Workers who are members of a union (in both the private and public sector) are legally entitled to participate in industrial action. Do you really want to take this right away? What about the other rights that employees currently have? Maternity leave, for example. It's expensive to find cover for young mothers, so lets replace them as soon as they get pregnant. What about the minimum wage, the right to 4.8 weeks annual leave, working time regulations, etc? Where would you draw the line?

flyingfeet

Visit site
I have an issue with the strikes - the defined benefit pension is not sustainable at final pay level. Very few companies offer this now, so why should the government?

My pension costs me 5%, and is worth less than funds invested. I'd love a defined benefit pension at 3% !!

Damnation

Visit site
I love Jeremy Clarkson! He should so be PM, stop everyone farting about in the world.
Alec, I quite agree. Why should people get to strike when they are privileged enough to even HAVE a job. The are plenty who would relieve them of them if so wished.

We have a deficit, we are all in the same position. Things will pick up, and in time, so will pensions. Just wait it out people!!!

This.

They may be "holding our society together" but they also have the luxury of rather well paid jobs, and job security which is something alot of people don't have at the moment.

ETA: He is entitled to his opinion. Saying he should be sacked is like telling the people who have gone on strike to voice their opinion that they should be sacked.

Last edited:

Dirtymare

Visit site
I totally agree :)

Jeremy Clarkson has been in the public eye long enough for people to realise that he IS an antagonist - it's what he does... If you don't like him then turn the TV off over switch to a different channel. Personally he is one of my favourite writers/journalist/presenters and I say "hear hear" to nearly everything he says.

Well said Mince Pie.
I raise a glass to all Clarkson fans - think we maybe few and far between....

perfect11s

Visit site
I'm not his bigest fan however he does upset all the right people, the ones that make our lives harder less fun or dull so go on jezza you give it to em straight... the po faced PC brigade, the beardy yogurt knitters the envronMentalists... the jobs worths, the non produtives .......

Bustermartin

Visit site
Originally Posted by blazingsaddles
After watching his embarassing performance on The One Show last night - just antagonistic nonsense he spouted - I would only vote for him to have his mouth taped shut.

This^^

Quietly I may agree with some of the sentiment behind the words - but cannot stand the man. I used to like Top Gear, but they are all so full of it now, I can't watch it anymore

perfect11s

Visit site
This from the man who claims that global warming isn't actually happening... Dear me!
Depends whether he said man made global warming or global warming!!!??? the rubbish and the junkscience, the false claims relating to co2 and about mans infuance realy needs more scrutiny , however The climate is constanty changing has gone through cycles of warm and cool over time so to say it doesnt is stupid, if that's what he said...

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
Much as Jeremy Clarkson irritates me, he does also make me laugh and he is right on the button with this one. Idiots who striked yesterday might not be so smug if they were instantly replaced. In these difficult times anybody who has a secure job should be thankful, there are not many people who have a secure pension in store for them and for too long the public sector have been pandered and spoilt and yes I know a lot of them do a good job, I am one of them, but you have got to be realistic in the financial mess we are in and just belt up and get on with it like a lot of people in the private sector are doing.

^^^what I wanted to say (except about the job!) I don't live in the UK anymore, but we are having the same problems re pensions here in Italy, I think most countries in Europe are going through something similar right now. JC is a tool, but I like him and like the PM says, he was just being silly. He has said what many people are thinking though.

Merry Crisis

Visit site
Jeremy is like a breath of fresh air amongst so many meely mouthed, PC indoctrinated, lemon sucking public. Good on you Jezza, lets HOPE the BBC doesnt have a Fat Controler!!! ;)

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
JEREMY CLARKSON for PRIME MINISTER!!!!!!!!
He says it as it, so what if he offends people. This country is turning into a nannystate, people need to man up and grow a pair!!!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
All this hysterical complaining, getting offended and demanding JC's head on a plate reminds me of something Anne Widdecombe (who incidentally should be Prime Minister :D) said...
''If you start getting offended at satirists and comedians, you have lost it...''

I watched The One Show and thought the whole situation hilarious, I just can't understand what the producers expected to happen? I mean, they introduced him as the person with most ridiculous/controversial views in the UK, and then when he delivers they are shocked. Mind boggles.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I don't know why people bother complaining about him, I'm sure he only does it to annoy people, why let him get to you?

Love seeing matt baker being made to feel uncomfortable, he's a great guy, but never seems to know how to manage the more unruly guests :D

I have no doubt the producer was screaming in his ear, it was a low point for Clarkson, who needs to get his head out of his own ass.

dressagelove

Visit site
Also, I don't know if anyone listened to the Chris Moyles show when he was on, but they were talking about how much money Top gear makes. Apparently it makes a huge profit. As if the BBC will sack him, yeah right. If they do then soon they'll be in debt as well! haha :D

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
All this hysterical complaining, getting offended and demanding JC's head on a plate reminds me of something Anne Widdecombe (who incidentally should be Prime Minister :D) said...
''If you start getting offended at satirists and comedians, you have lost it...''

I watched The One Show and thought the whole situation hilarious, I just can't understand what the producers expected to happen? I mean, they introduced him as the person with most ridiculous/controversial views in the UK, and then when he delivers they are shocked. Mind boggles.

This completely - they even set up that mock trial for him - what did they expect?! :D

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I have no doubt the producer was screaming in his ear, it was a low point for Clarkson, who needs to get his head out of his own ass.
The remark which was offensive and not funny was that it did not matter if someone died by suicide in front of a train the authorities should not stop the train, ie not inconvenience anyone on the railway.
Well sorry, every such death has many many victims, who should be allowed to grieve and not have it made out to be a sick joke.
I think there were some who had to go after the Andrew Sachs telephone call, another of the same type of "joke".

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
The remark which was offensive and not funny was that it did not matter if someone died by suicide in front of a train the authorities should not stop the train, ie not inconvenience anyone on the railway.
Actually, that's not what he said... he said that stopping a train AFTER it hit somebody is a bit pointless (read BEFORE would be better ;)). And (I reckon I will get jumped on for this :eek:), I have to admit, there is certain logic in his thinking.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Well sorry, every such death has many many victims, who should be allowed to grieve and not have it made out to be a sick joke.
I think there were some who had to go after the Andrew Sachs telephone call, another of the same type of "joke".

Exactly.

I have a sense of humor - Lee Evans was fantastic at the O2, laughed my m&s socks off, but the "comedian" Jeremy Clarksons "joke" about suicide on railway lines inconveniencing him (well, he is part of the Chipping Norton Set, to be expected I suppose) was a step too far. Its akin to those other so-called comedians who "joke" about the disabled. Personally, I find it worrying that so many posters here admire his rhetoric without questioning why he courts controversy. Ah, I know, you can purchase it here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarkson-Po...HPK6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322764405&sr=8-5 - super reviews by the way:rolleyes: