Junior staff treated poorly

Visit site
Why is it acceptable for a yard full of men to be rude and crude? Why is it acceptable that only the 'hard' women can be accepted? Modern working life means that anyone who works as they should, achieves their work objectives (be it riding out 6 lots, mucking out etc) should be treated with respect. Anyone on the yard should be treated with respect. The old adage 'rough around the edge' is used too often as an excuse for rude, poorly mannered people. Unfortunately it often also comes with racism and sexism that should be being stamped out, not seen as a badge of honour or a trial anyone should have to get through in order to work in the industry. (and I have no skin in the game beyond challenging theories that previously all male workspaces should be allowed to continue being rude and crude to the detriment of (often) young people.

Who ever said it was just the males who were allowed to be rude and crude?! Us lasses give as good as we get!

maggiestar

Visit site
Why is it acceptable for a yard full of men to be rude and crude? Why is it acceptable that only the 'hard' women can be accepted? Modern working life means that anyone who works as they should, achieves their work objectives (be it riding out 6 lots, mucking out etc) should be treated with respect. Anyone on the yard should be treated with respect. The old adage 'rough around the edge' is used too often as an excuse for rude, poorly mannered people. Unfortunately it often also comes with racism and sexism that should be being stamped out, not seen as a badge of honour or a trial anyone should have to get through in order to work in the industry. (and I have no skin in the game beyond challenging theories that previously all male workspaces should be allowed to continue being rude and crude to the detriment of (often) young people.
I do know what you mean but it's not just men who are rude and crude! Indeed, some of the most toxic workforces I've been in have been run by well meaning women. Everyone is on their best behaviour so toxicity seeps out slowly and silently and is never confronted. There's something lovely about a workplace where you can have a bit of fun together and a bit of back and forth. I think it's healthier than everyone on tippytoes trying to be ever so correct. Learning how to have fun and not take yourself too seriously is a lifeskill, I dare say. And learning to recognise who is vulnerable and who really doesn't need a ribbing is also valuable. If we legislate for every single aspect of human behaviour we may as well give ourselves up to the robots now and have done with it! I'm not talking about racism and sexism - those things are unacceptable of course.

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Not in a yard although have worked in yards, but the worse bullying in the office environment I have received is definitely from women.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

Its not just like that in racing, try being in the hauledge industry, sister has had to fight back against all sorts when first got her class one. Yes she had to grow a thicker skin but that was mainly to turn round and stand up for herself or have the confidence to go to the manager.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I do know what you mean but it's not just men who are rude and crude! Indeed, some of the most toxic workforces I've been in have been run by well meaning women. Everyone is on their best behaviour so toxicity seeps out slowly and silently and is never confronted. There's something lovely about a workplace where you can have a bit of fun together and a bit of back and forth. I think it's healthier than everyone on tippytoes trying to be ever so correct. Learning how to have fun and not take yourself too seriously is a lifeskill, I dare say. And learning to recognise who is vulnerable and who really doesn't need a ribbing is also valuable. If we legislate for every single aspect of human behaviour we may as well give ourselves up to the robots now and have done with it! I'm not talking about racism and sexism - those things are unacceptable of course.

I think women are the worst in this respect, have been in a very toxic mainly women office and would take the delivery job with grumpy, sexist, crude hgv mechanics anyday over that again