just sad, is all ...

Bramble74

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, he sounds like a wonderful friend. To echo an above poster, how lovely that you were the first and last thing he saw xx

Merrymoles

Visit site
You were together from the beginning to the end and not many can say that. My thoughts and hugs go to you tonight, take care of yourself because you truly took care of your boy. xx

I couldn't think of any better to say than this. My thoughts are with you too and he was a lucky boy to have you all his life.

Jaycee

Visit site
So sorry for your loss of a truly remarkable horse and friend as some one previously said " you were the first person he saw and the last" not many of us have that privilege, he will be watching over you till you meet again. xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
I am so, so sorry . . . tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat reading that beautiful tribute to a much-loved friend. Big hugs coming your way.

P

Orangehorse

Visit site
Can only agree with everyone else - how sad, but what a lovely tribute to a lovely horse.
How fortunate for him that you could be with him and comfort him right at the end.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I only just read your first post, but it brought a tear to my eye. But how lucky you both were to have such a wonderful relationship for such a long time. What a perfect life for a horse, 25 years with one owner, from start to end, who adored him. Hope you're ok.xx

ISHmad

Visit site
So very sorry. To have had such a beautiful horse and friend in your life from his beginning to the day he had to leave you. So very few horses have that, you will never be truly parted x

Vanner

Visit site
Once again I have to thank everybody for the lovely words of support, they have made such a difference to me.

I thought I would let you all know something a wee bit eerie ... yesterday me and my OH cleared out Mate's stable, folded and put away his rugs and took off his name plate from the stable door. Then we re-bedded the stable with fresh straw, put my lovely gypsy vanner cob's rug on the rack outside, and screwed Bandit's name plate on the door, and moved my cob into Mate's stable. I just couldn't bear to see it empty and all Mate's wardrobe still there.

This morning, it was strange to see Bandit's kind face through the window when we pulled up to turn out our cobs. I walked into the yard and up to the door (as I have done for many years!), and Bandit rested his head on the top of the door and blew warm comforting breaths in my face and I kissed the soft velvety skin of his nose .. as I had done with Mate for all those years before. The weird thing is Bandit never, ever did that in his other stable (directly opposite Mates) .... perhaps he'd had lessons during the night from a certain 13.2 PBA??

It was very reassuring, and it made me all at once realize that it was all going to be okay, I am on the same path as I have always been, but now I can look back and see my Mate and all those I have left behind with happiness.

Mate and I did share something special, but now it is Bandit's turn. He is only 7and like Mate he will never leave me, we will grow older and wiser together, we will share the ups and downs together and we will make memories for me to cherish!!!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
So sorry for your loss we lost a very special boy not so long ago, it looks like he has left several of his very special ways with our other horses, they have taken on certain aspects of Sir tha they never showed before, it makes us smile and it feels like he is always with us, watching out for us, sharing the good and the bad times. The pain of losing them gets less but they will never be forgotten x

Last edited:

julie111

Visit site
I am so sorry Vanner! He was a very special boy and obviously loved you as much as you loved him! Time is the greatest healer and the happy memories will last forever. Sending you hugs, x

HappyNeds

Visit site
What a beautiful tribute to your friend, made me well up. I'm glad reading your later posts that you have your lovely Bandit, and what a great name for a Cob