Kate Greenhalgh neglect

meleeka

Visit site
The horses must have really suffered for them to have only took 6 weeks to get in that state.

The case I was invoked in had plenty of people criticising other owners. we had been reporting it for two years! when the horse died we didn’t realise they were still there (private fields with stables out of view) until one escaped. The owners defence was that they were on holiday and left them in the care of their depressed mother. The RSPCA don’t keep historical records so that version was accepted in court :(

paddy555

Visit site
The fields in which the horses were kept were a 10 minute walk from the main yard. The liveries on the yard did notice and were key in getting the welfare authorities involved, but it happened very fast over just a 6 week period.

having read the thread and the HHO article I am lost. 6 weeks is a long time. From the picture of the horse the decline must have been quite speedy and noticeable over that 6 weeks. If the welfare authorities were notified why did they take so long to do anything? It implies in the HHO article that the RSPCA turned up on the day after Kai died/was PTS. If the liveries spoke out and notified the authorities why did it take them so long to act? That is the part I don't understand.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
having read the thread and the HHO article I am lost. 6 weeks is a long time. From the picture of the horse the decline must have been quite speedy and noticeable over that 6 weeks. If the welfare authorities were notified why did they take so long to do anything? It implies in the HHO article that the RSPCA turned up on the day after Kai died/was PTS. If the liveries spoke out and notified the authorities why did it take them so long to act? That is the part I don't understand.
Aren't they notoriously slow to respond? I don't know all the details but your questions are implying that you disbelieve the events. If that is the case, I can assure you that you are incorrect.

teapot

Visit site
No holds barred report in H&H. Good effort.

It seems that the dead horse was bred by an HHOer, he was a Janet George bred Indigo ID. Incorrectly named at first as Jane George, but later in the report as Janet George, and I recognise that arena.

Heartbreaking.

KG must be prevented from working with horses ever again.

It's a good report but fails to mention the other owners involved, which I can't say I blame them for.

DippyTart

New User
Visit site
Lots of comments asking how people visiting her yard did not see the state of these horses. It is my understanding that the yard that she operated from was in a completely different place from where these horses were. I had seen her yard and my thought was how untidy it was. Hay bales left with plastic all over the place, old coffee cups/water bottles not moved for months and general scruffiness. I just put this down to some people are a little more like that. Perhaps not, maybe it was because she didn't care about things. I would pay more attention to that sort of thing in future (apologies to any of you out there who aren't Mrs Hinch on the yard!).

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Theres another thread (in equestrian news I think) with a new petition.

The petition on this thread contains pictures of the youngster who died. Apparently the owner didn't want this so a new petition was started.

I've signed both to cover all bases
So have I. Just waiting for emails confirmations to arrive

paddy555

Visit site
Aren't they notoriously slow to respond? I don't know all the details but your questions are implying that you disbelieve the events. If that is the case, I can assure you that you are incorrect.

it is not that I disbelieve events, very sadly I do believe them, it is that I am totally gob smacked by them. When I was in a similar position (I have been in that position several times) I got action. Once from the RSPCA who sent a vet out, another from a local welfare group who sent their boss out and we got the horse PTS within 3 days. Another when the owner refused to PTS an equine with rhododendron poisoning that was in agony I got my own vet out to PTS on welfare grounds.

I fully understand KG is 100% to blame for her cruelty. I also understand Kai's owner's OH in hospital and her inability to check. What I don't understand, putting it very bluntly, is if someone saw a horse in a field in the state of Kai, Adelaide or the one in the picture (Val?) why they didn't put a headcollar on, put it in their own stable and take action to prevent further damage or death. That is the bit I don't get.

Cookster

Visit site
it is not that I disbelieve events, very sadly I do believe them, it is that I am totally gob smacked by them. When I was in a similar position (I have been in that position several times) I got action. Once from the RSPCA who sent a vet out, another from a local welfare group who sent their boss out and we got the horse PTS within 3 days. Another when the owner refused to PTS an equine with rhododendron poisoning that was in agony I got my own vet out to PTS on welfare grounds.

I fully understand KG is 100% to blame for her cruelty. I also understand Kai's owner's OH in hospital and her inability to check. What I don't understand, putting it very bluntly, is if someone saw a horse in a field in the state of Kai, Adelaide or the one in the picture (Val?) why they didn't put a headcollar on, put it in their own stable and take action to prevent further damage or death. That is the bit I don't get.
The horses you mention were in fields hidden from general view. They were not part of the yard and were not seen . The DIY liveries at this yard, me being one of them are devastated. So please stop thinking and saying " why didn't we do anything". !!!!!!!

PurBee

Visit site

New poster dippytart above explained the discrepency paddy, and it was alluded to in an article too, was it the hho article?... but wasnt stated in every article.
It seems she moved a number of horses from her yard to another field (closer to her home if i recall rightly?)....so those visiting her yard wouldnt have seen the emaciated horses, and i presume the horses she moved belonged to owners who she knew would not do ‘in person’ visit checks regularly, and those owners who just phoned her. That’s how multiple weeks/months passed without eyes on the horses. She basically tried to hide them off her main yard.

ETA: in a way this proves intent to ignore these horses by hiding them away, and deserving of firmer punishment!

She provided receipts to the court for food bills....goodness knows what she did with that food, probably receipts for food for the horses residing at her main yard. Yet still, i suppose looked good for the judge to show she ‘tried’. She had a bloody good lawyer is all i can say.

paddy555

Visit site
New poster dippytart above explained the discrepency paddy, and it was alluded to in an article too, was it the hho article?... but wasnt stated in every article.
It seems she moved a number of horses from her yard to another field (closer to her home if i recall rightly?)....so those visiting her yard wouldnt have seen the emaciated horses, and i presume the horses she moved belonged to owners who she knew would not do ‘in person’ visit checks regularly, and those owners who just phoned her. That’s how multiple weeks/months passed without eyes on the horses. She basically tried to hide them off her main yard.

ETA: in a way this proves intent to ignore these horses by hiding them away, and deserving of firmer punishment!

She provided receipts to the court for food bills....goodness knows what she did with that food, probably receipts for food for the horses residing at her main yard. Yet still, i suppose looked good for the judge to show she ‘tried’. She had a bloody good lawyer is all i can say.

this is what I read on a post further up.

"The fields in which the horses were kept were a 10 minute walk from the main yard. The liveries on the yard did notice"

Cookster

Visit site

"The fields in which the horses were kept were a 10 minute walk from the main yard. The liveries on the yard did notice"
There were 12 plus horses. Some were near others were not. And it was more than a 10 minute walk. The ones noticed were reported. It was an utter shock to find others, that were hidden from view were in a far worse state than the ones reported. Please please please stop thinking, and saying why did people not do anything. They did!!!

PurBee

Visit site

They can only speak for themselves the exact facts, but they possibly noticed when damage had already been done and then they started reporting it. There’s every reason to suspect they didnt do that 10 min walk regularly to see horses which weren’t theirs. Again her reputation worked on all i suspect - theyd not have reason to suspect such a professional woild completely neglect horses to the state of utter emaciation.

I didnt realise before she had 2 completely separate grazings/yard. i thought it was 1 yard with fields, hence my confusion earlier why no-one noticed sooner.

It’s becoming more clear the horses she knew wouldnt be checked on by owners that winter, were the ones removed from main yard.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
They can only speak for themselves the exact facts, but they possibly noticed when damage had already been done and then they started reporting it. There’s every reason to suspect they didnt do that 10 min walk regularly to see horses which weren’t theirs. Again her reputation worked on all i suspect - theyd not have reason to suspect such a professional woild completely neglect horses to the state of utter emaciation.

I didnt realise before she had 2 completely separate grazings/yard. i thought it was 1 yard with fields, hence my confusion earlier why no-one noticed sooner.

It’s becoming more clear the horses she knew wouldnt be checked on by owners that winter, were the ones removed from main yard.

that shows how crafty she was, but why neglect certain horses? she is a very twisted person and therefore should have a much harsher sentence, she deliberately caused certain animals to suffer so that shows she is a very nasty person...

PurBee

Visit site
that shows how crafty she was, but why neglect certain horses? she is a very twisted person and therefore should have a much harsher sentence, she deliberately caused certain animals to suffer so that shows she is a very nasty person...

I wonder what her plan was to be honest. Start feeding them early spring and hope owners dont notice the lack of condition? No idea at all what she was thinking...yet intent is suggested by her actions to hide them from her main yard.

The broodmare afterall lost the foal due to starvation. How was she going to explain that?

SO1

Visit site
I expect that was the plan, who knows maybe she did this every year and got away with it, but it sounds like they were wormy and horses with a heavy worm burden can loose weight rapidly even if you are feeding them let alone if you are not feeding them.

They were not being hayed and the fields probably were not poo picked they would have been eating stale grass and got a very heavy worm burden.

I wonder what her plan was to be honest. Start feeding them early spring and hope owners dont notice the lack of condition? No idea at all what she was thinking...yet intent is suggested by her actions to hide them from her main yard.

The broodmare afterall lost the foal due to starvation. How was she going to explain that?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

I hope the owners get a bloody good lawyer too and take her straight to court. I can only assume the neglect was a money saving choice, so she needs to be hit where it hurts if the criminal justice system is so useless. Kai is irreplaceable since JG has stopped breeding, I'm sure a lawyer could make something of that. I can understand the owners are probably stressed and not wanting the additional hassle, but I'd happily contribute to an appeal to help with legal costs.