Kate Greenhalgh neglect

Goldenstar

Visit site
I wonder what her plan was to be honest. Start feeding them early spring and hope owners dont notice the lack of condition? No idea at all what she was thinking...yet intent is suggested by her actions to hide them from her main yard.

The broodmare afterall lost the foal due to starvation. How was she going to explain that?

This is the bit that’s so difficult to understand .
I could understand scrimping on hard food or not giving a supplement you said you would provide .
But you can’t fail to provide forage to broodmares and expect to wing it into spring it does not work .
Shes not inexperienced.
I don’t know that you can say she set out to hide them many working yards have little grazing .
The landowner ought to have done something they do have a duty of care for animals belonging to others that are on their land .
The sentence is inadequate I don’t know if the horses owners can pursue this , If a ban was avoided by pleading guilty this is wrong people taking money for caring for animals should if anything be held to a higher standard .
BE a and the other affiliated sports should ban her she has brought professional sport in to disrepute .They would have banned if she had a temper tantrum in public and beat her horse at a show .

The current welfare act was supposed to help there be intervention before animals where in extreme situations it’s clearly failed in this case .
Personally I think that the situation in this country is untenable .
We need to add the responsibility for animal welfare and the law to the polices remit
and perhaps add responsibility for it to the officers who deal with wildlife crime .
This would need more man power and of course it’s costs money .

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Signed both petitions.

I find it so hard to understand why it takes the animal welfare authorities so damn long to act upon reported neglect. It is the same where I live (The Netherlands). People do not report these cases willy nilly, most of the times the neglect is clearly visible, continual, and in your face.

Is it because an animal is legally not a 'person' but a goods? (I'm hopeful this will be changed in the future, many organisations are lobbying for this.)

Carmen6

Visit site
We don't have animal police here in the UK, only charities. So I'm guessing it's down to finite resources / priorities / capacity.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
You can change your name any time you want, to anything you like. It's now an online process. I'm guessing it will be her or her mother's maiden name.

Yeah, I figured that part, I'm just surprised a number (ID number, member number, etc.) is not attached?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
There should be a way of BE or whoever to identify people. If you are banned from competition they need to know who you are. I’d like to see the equestrian community to simply refuse to allow her to participate. And god knows who would entrust their horses to her ‘care’ or livery with her.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
There should be a way of BE or whoever to identify people. If you are banned from competition they need to know who you are. I’d like to see the equestrian community to simply refuse to allow her to participate. And god knows who would entrust their horses to her ‘care’ or livery with her.

I do think the equestrian community should basically shun her.

As for BE identifying...that's sort of where I was going with the ID number, but it's still a bit tricky. Say someone has an ID number, but they want to "reappear" as someone else. Then they need to apply for a new ID number. They may use a different name, address, email, etc. (Because if not it should be flagged as data associated with someone else - this would be a non issue/overridden w/ siblings, parents, and children though).

The only thing is, if they change all of their info, it's difficult. So maybe more should be required (NIN, Driver's license info, and stuff like that), which adds other security and data protection issues, but those could be worked out, possibly.

It would be more faff, but could make things a bit tighter. No idea if any of this is feasible, just some thoughts.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Exactly. If you are banned from competition then BE need to find a way of identifying you so banned riders can’t just re-register with a new or fake name. I don’t understand how it works though.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Perhaps each organisation should ask on their application forms/entry forms 'Have you got any animal cruelty convictions?' If KG was being truthful, she would have to answer yes. The organisations should have it as one of their rules that anyone convicted of animal cruelty cannot enter/be a member.

misst

Visit site
Perhaps each organisation should ask on their application forms/entry forms 'Have you got any animal cruelty convictions?' If KG was being truthful, she would have to answer yes. The organisations should have it as one of their rules that anyone convicted of animal cruelty cannot enter/be a member.
I think whilst in theory this is fine in practice if you are prepared to behave like her - then what is a small lie ? Yes, a ban if you get caught lying but if you are clever you may never get caught sadly.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think whilst in theory this is fine in practice if you are prepared to behave like her - then what is a small lie ? Yes, a ban if you get caught lying but if you are clever you may never get caught sadly.

I agree but other people on the showground would have the right to tell the secretary the person's real identity. Atm that would just be gossip, if the change were made, it would be reporting a break of the rules and the organisation would have the right to ban the entrant, which they don't currently, unless the person found guilty was sentenced to not be in chagre of animals. Currently if the offender is brazen ehough they can just ride it out. If it were agaisnt the organisation's rules, being found out could involve a very public eviction from a showground. If enough organisations followed through, it wouldn't be worth trying to flout the rules.