Kate & Wills attending Rodeo...

EAST KENT

Visit site
"YAWN" I couldn't give a hoot about these too I must be one of the few who boycotted the Royal wedding saw 1 second of it and that was enough !!!!

YAWN..I know..me too,went to a dog show that day..never watched any of it. This girl is going to be another media Diana Fest ..YAWN:mad:

Pale Rider

Visit site
Calgary, probably one of the most famous rodeo's will no doubt be well run, its the others where abuse happens. Top bronk horses are few and far between, most only do one event and are broke by then, that's when the cattle prods are used to cause them to buck.
Calves break their back when the rope snatches them backwards off their feet. The cowboy will continue to tie them even with a broken back.

SwingHorse

Visit site
A lot of rubbish is talked about Rodeo, from people who have seen the unfortunate abuse carried out by a very small minority of people. Personally I participate in the Mexican equivalent - charreada - but my OH doesn't do Manganas a Caballo/Pie or Heeling, as there is more of a risk of injury in those events. This is a view held by a lot of respected Charros, meaning that (although these events when done my skilled riders) the more 'cruel' events are held less often, with fewer participants. Once I've done foal checks (18 on the farm right now! :eek:) and turnout, I can happily show you photos of just how relaxed many horses and bulls are at the charreada, including my OH having a little nap with two of the stallions!

fburton

Visit site
I'm not saying other opinnions aren't valid but its not like the cowboys enjoy harming animals!
I feel the same about bullfighting - the matadores don't actually enjoy harming the bull - it's about art.

Calgary, probably one of the most famous rodeo's will no doubt be well run, its the others where abuse happens.
A few still put on my favourite event - the Wild Horse Race!

Top bronk horses are few and far between, most only do one event and are broke by then, that's when the cattle prods are used to cause them to buck.
I thought electric prods are only allowed to be used to make horses go forward...

Calves break their back when the rope snatches them backwards off their feet. The cowboy will continue to tie them even with a broken back.
Where did you get that from?? However, it may actually be better for them to be immobilized rather than thrashing about with a broken back.

Enfys

Visit site
They will be visiting the Rodeo in Calgary. Quite appalled at this really given the cruelty involved. What do you think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Middleton-visit-largest-rodeo-U-S-tour.html

:eek::eek::eek:

OGFS:mad:. Here we go again!:mad:

So? Why shouldn't they? Is it really going to affect their standing with people, it would disappoint, and insult Canadians if they didn't attend.

Catch 22, no matter what they do, they will never please all of the people, all of the time - fact.

Enfys

Visit site
Calgary, probably one of the most famous rodeo's will no doubt be well run, its the others where abuse happens. Top bronk horses are few and far between, most only do one event and are broke by then, that's when the cattle prods are used to cause them to buck.

Oh crap, utter BS :mad:.

Get your facts right please.

Last edited:

Fairynuff

Visit site
cough cough....whats 'grated coconut?' Apart from your bog standard grated coconut, I dont know of any other type. Please put me out of my misery Enfys. :)

Went back to edit as used wrong quote only to find that you had edited just before me:(
If its rude, you can pm me:D

Last edited:

fburton

Visit site
Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
cough cough....whats 'grated coconut?' Apart from your bog standard grated coconut, I dont know of any other type. Please put me out of my misery Enfys. :)

Went back to edit as used wrong quote only to find that you had edited just before me:(
If its rude, you can pm me:D

:) Not rude. Although I imagine someone, somewhere could make it so;)

Grated Coconut, one of the greatest bucking horses...I used him as an example because he wasn't used just once and then got broken.

Deleted because the topic was actually about the Royal visit, and I get a little hot under the collar about all the misinformation that flies around about rodeos and it wasn't on topic.

I do actually apologise for my language in my previous post too. Should have said "Utter twaddle"

Enfys

Visit site
There is tons of YouTube footage of rodeo abuse, I can't post it or I would.

Of course there is, I didn't say there wasn't abuse somewhere, rodeos, farms, riding stables, racing, eventing, the list is endless. People have to come to their own conclusions, but getting the facts straight first (from a variety of sources) helps to come to a balanced one.

I am sure if one searched long enough, examples for everything under the sun to make a point could be found on You Tube.:) I'll make it easy, look for PETA and SHARK propaganda.

Take into account though, that according to PETA, simply keeping horses is abuse - and dogs - and cats - and goldfish come to that.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
There probably is tons of rodeo abuse footage, but there is also footage of dressage, SJ and eventing abuse footage! Should we stop all of these too? And no I dont support animal cruelty or abusive sports (ie bull fighting) but I think the majority of rodeos are well run and the animals well looked after, there are always going to be bad ones out there and they should be stopped by I don't think we can tarr everyone with the same brush.

The rodeo I went to was a small one in Ocala Florida, I saw no abuse happen and you were allowed to meet the calves and broncho horses afterwards and all seemed safe and healthy!

Pale Rider

Visit site
Enfys, I don't really like to see abuse anywhere, and just because it happens at other venues, doesn't mean that it cannot be mentioned in rodeo.

Christ, people went hairless on this forum over Catwalk, yet animals maimed and killed in the name of entertainment and sport no problem.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Enfys, I don't really like to see abuse anywhere, and just because it happens at other venues, doesn't mean that it cannot be mentioned in rodeo.

Christ, people went hairless on this forum over Catwalk, yet animals maimed and killed in the name of entertainment and sport no problem.

Animals aren't maimed at Calgary probably one of the most professional rodeos there is. The animals that are used are treated like royalty! If I was an animal I'd rather spend a year at a rodeo like Calgary than a day in the hands of Pat and Linda Parelli.

Get your facts straight before you start talking utter rubbish.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'd love to go. OH went to one in Texas when he was there on business. He was totally amazed. He watched kids doing barrel racing at breathtaking speed, the amosphere was fantastic, quite an unforgettable experience.

He saw nothing that disturbed him at all, it was all thoroughly enjoyable.

Visit site
I have no personal experiences with rodeos, only what I have seen on youtube :rolleyes: I've always thought they were evil! judging by your reactions I'm assuming this is not the case. Has anyone got any footage of a 'good' rodeo? :eek: I'd love to see what it's supposed to look like.

Tickles

Visit site
I'm disappointed at the attendance. It glorifies exactly the wrong kind of riding (horses shouldn't be bucking under saddle, they should be happy... kids certainly shouldn't be doing 'wild pony' races etc, etc). No idea if Kate would know about this or not. But Wills certainly should.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I have no personal experiences with rodeos, only what I have seen on youtube :rolleyes: I've always thought they were evil! judging by your reactions I'm assuming this is not the case. Has anyone got any footage of a 'good' rodeo? :eek: I'd love to see what it's supposed to look like.

[youtube]OYzgT0gomx0[/youtube]
Barrel racing at Calgary imo is amazing to watch! The speed and athleticism of those horses is amazing and to just stay on them whilst doing some of those turns can't be easy.

Tbh just google Calgary rodeo and I'm sure you'll get loads of fab footage. :)

Visit site
Thanks Kokopelli! I got goosebumps watching that, those horses looked amazing, well cared for and they looked as if they loved what they were doing! that video even makes Justin Bieber sound good :rolleyes: :D

What does everyone think about the prison rodeo's? they were the ones i saw that looked cruel :confused:

Kokopelli

Visit site
What's wrong with the bucking bronco's? I honestly don't see anything wrong with that.
As or the calf roping when done badly at he bad rodeos yes that event is horrible but at Calgary and so forth the calf roping is great fun to watch and in my eyes isn't causing harm.

Pale Rider

Visit site
My problem with calf ropeing is the age of the calf and how vulnerable they are to injury, if it was foal ropeing, I'm sure people could see how bad this is for entertainment.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
What's a bucking strap?

I know nothing whatsoever about rodeos. What makes the horses buck? Is it a cruel sport?

If you look at the following video you will see that the horses have the normal cinch (girth) and then there is another strap which is holding the saddle from flipping up, this is not normally quite as tight as on these broncs but is for roping or day to day cattle work normal part of tack.
Then there is another strap which is around the horses flank. This is the bucking strap and it is what makes them really buck.
What it doesn't show you is how one out rider will go alongside and pick up the rider whilst another goes alongside and undoes the bucking strap.

wireweiners

Visit site
Years ago, most broncs were rank horses that simply liked to buck. If they weren't in rodeos, they would have been slaughtered. Now, there are breeding programs to produce horses that have a talent for bucking. A proven sire of quality bucking horses can be worth in the 5 figure range. The flank strap is sheep skin covered and is generally used to make them kick up higher but in no way is it over tighten or irritating. It really acts as a cue. The horse knows when the flank strap is on, its to buck. When the strap is removed, its job is done and it stops bucking. While some horses do quit bucking over time, I have seen horses that were still bucking and bucking well up into their 20's.

Calves are tough little buggers and while there are occasional injuries, for the most part they just shake it off and go on. They are only used for a few months before they go on to the feed lot.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd love to go. OH went to one in Texas when he was there on business. He was totally amazed. He watched kids doing barrel racing at breathtaking speed

I got beaten in two barrel races by a nine year old, I was about 26/27 at the time :eek: :eek: :eek:
Her dad was leaning over the side yelling 'CHEYENNE! Don't you dare hang onto that saddlehorn!'
No spurs, no whips, no hauling, just riders and horses having a blast and loving it.

And they're not kids doing wild pony races *sigh* the ponies were immaculate and in matchy-matchy Western gear :p

As WW says, lots of the broncs are bred and selected for the sport.

Jennyharvey

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxL7umkbRo

Please someone tell me that this sort of treatment of horses is ok? I really do hatwe rodeos, i hate the broncs, the bulls, the calf roping, pretty much all this stuff that can inflict pain on the horse.
The injuries involved can be horrific, for rider and animal, and the modern day rodeo is NOTHING like what it was back in the day.

Im not having a go at kate and wills, personally dont care where they go to.

Potatoe

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxL7umkbRo

Please someone tell me that this sort of treatment of horses is ok? I really do hatwe rodeos, i hate the broncs, the bulls, the calf roping, pretty much all this stuff that can inflict pain on the horse.
The injuries involved can be horrific, for rider and animal, and the modern day rodeo is NOTHING like what it was back in the day.

Im not having a go at kate and wills, personally dont care where they go to.

Have you not noticed all the other videos by that youtube user? They are all propaganda!

Yes some of that is animal abuse but if you read the whole thread you'll realise that most people say the good rodeos are fab but there are some awful ones which ruin it for the good ones.