Keep, sell, loan - HELP!

silv

Visit site
No idea what he is worth sorry.
I would be very tempted to sell, I am sure he would find a buyer easily, there is always a great demand for genuine, safe, schooled horses. Realistically what is the point of keeping something that you are not really enjoying. If you are no hurry you can take your time and wait till the perfect home comes along.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’m an idiot of course but I kept my hairy ... love him to pieces and he is my armchair when I’m feeling down - only you would know how you would feel not to see him in the stable / field every day... if he can go and help someone else great & if not then keep him.

Reactions: JJS

wills_91

Visit site
Keep him till next summer when I'm looking to buy 🤣. He looks and sounds a fabulous sort and I'm sure you would have no trouble selling.

Equi

Visit site
He’s the type that will be perfect for the likes of me who would only want a lifetime horse to love that I can still feel I progress on but don’t aspire to do anything fantastical, but still have the option of showing too. I’d sell him if I was you.

Bermuda

Visit site
From what you have said I would say sell him, many people would love a steady horse to hack alone and in company which could also do a bit of schooling. He will be somebody else dream horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks everyone this is really, really helpful.

I'm not worried about whether a sportier model will suit me, I've always had them and love them. If I do sell him, I'm likely to look for an ex racer as a cheap second string that won't get too fat if it's not ridden.

ycbm

Visit site
Is he a little footsore? He looks quite stilted at times in the video. That could explain why he isn't opening up in the shoulders atm.

Foot sore? No, he stomps over big stone chipping tracks. Hopping is his evasion. He used to do it really badly and is much better these days if I ride straight.

ycbm

Visit site
Perhaps you could offer him to abbijay. She has got a Clydesdale who is doing fabulously well in dressage

If I thought he could do fabulously well in dressage, I'd keep him. I think he dislikes working at a higher level and that it's physically too much to ask of him. I want him to have someone who loves him utterly for what he is now, not what he might be in future. Sadly, I don't think that's me 😕

SEL

Visit site
Whilst I don’t disagree, I think it’s easy for people who have competed / are used to sportier models to overlook how much value safe & sane has. His job will be to look after someone of a nervous disposition and put a smile on their face. There are people who are prepared to pay for that (although I appreciate many won’t either!)
I can count at least 3 liveries at my current yard who have looked for / bought safe and sane recently! [.....at least they hope that's what they've got.....]

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I wouldnt sell, he's a safe, easy horse that you can do anything on and have already invested a lot into. the appy is still pretty young and unproven-this one would also make a good nanny for him. you have your own place, if you can work them both then do that-just don't school this one to that level-try something fun on him (he looks like a potential archery/tilting horse to me!). Or loan and review in a year or two. certainly wouldn't be changing him for some ex racer but then we're all different.

sky1000

Visit site
I wouldnt sell, he's a safe, easy horse that you can do anything on and have already invested a lot into. the appy is still pretty young and unproven-this one would also make a good nanny for him. you have your own place, if you can work them both then do that-just don't school this one to that level-try something fun on him (he looks like a potential archery/tilting horse to me!). Or loan and review in a year or two. certainly wouldn't be changing him for some ex racer but then we're all different.
I agree with this (know nothing about archery/tilting) but doing fun stuff on him. You just don't know yet how your young one will work out. Certainly you could sell him for a good price but would you regret it. I'd wait to see if your young one is all you think it will be.

Reactions: JJS

ycbm

Visit site
This isn't connected with how the young one will work out. It's about not enjoying riding Henry enough any more and even more that he isn't enjoying what I want him to do. I've had loads of lighter weight horses and they are what I enjoy riding. If Ludo doesn't turn out as expected, I'll find another.

Ludo doesn't need a nanny, so there's no job for Henry there.

Sorry MoC, thanks for the suggestion but I'm just not interested in doing archery on horseback or tilting. What I enjoy these days is schooling up the levels and hacking a really forward horse. I've been exploring western, but it's not for me. I've considered a few other things but nothing grabs more than riding a lighter weight and more athletic horse.

The poor boy just doesn't deserve to be thought less of for not being able to be something he wasn't born to be.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Selling seems like the obvious choice then. I'm sure he'll find a lovely home. I think loaning is a poor compromise tbh, hard on you as you never cut the tie, hard on a loaner as they never really have security.

be positive

Visit site
The poor boy just doesn't deserve to be thought less of for not being able to be something he wasn't born to be.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/keep-sell-loan-help.769345/page-2#Cb230LMYMAaVFsHZ.99

That says it all really, someone will be delighted with who he is and value him for what he can do for them, a perfectly sensible reason to sell him, in my experience there is no point in continuing with a horse that is not right for whatever reason and absolutely no point in taking up a different way of riding that does not appeal, sometimes if we really like riding a horse we can change direction to a job that suits the horse but only if we really want to ride it every day.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This isn't connected with how the young one will work out. It's about not enjoying riding Henry enough any more and even more that he isn't enjoying what I want him to do. I've had loads of lighter weight horses and they are what I enjoy riding. If Ludo doesn't turn out as expected, I'll find another.

Sorry MoC, thanks for the suggestion but I'm just not interested in doing archery on horseback or tilting. What I enjoy these days is schooling up the levels and hacking a really forward horse. I've been exploring western, but it's not for me. I've considered a few other things but nothing grabs more than riding a lighter weight and more athletic horse.

In that case you should sell him, just don't expect to get an awful lot more for him than you paid, because that would be unrealistic. I should imagine about £3000, if he passes a vetting.

JJS

Visit site
This is on my mind. Eight. Great for an improver coming up off novice, or a downsizer coming down off sports horses, nothing he can't turn his foot to, up to a level, natural jumper to a metre or more. Traffic immune. Snaffle mouth, also goes really well in a double. He's got to be worth a lot of money, hasn't he?

If I had this horse in my stable, no way would I would be letting him go - he sounds like an absolute dream. That said, I think you've already made up your mind that he's not for you, and it's only your opinion that counts in the long-run.

Bernster

Visit site
From what you’ve said on here, I’d say it seems like selling is the option for you. I did the same. Sold a fantastic bombproof horse that I’d done loads of stuff on and who was a rosette machine in sj but wasn’t quite as forward and bold as a I wanted. People thought I was mad at the time and it took me a long time to make the decision but my OH persuaded me when he said that he deserved to be someone’s number 1 horse, and he wasn’t my no.1. Sold him to his sharer who loved him to bits and they were far better suited.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If he really doesn't float your boat, then absolutely sell him to someone who will idolise him. However, rewatching the video I still think he looks a bit off at times. I'm nowhere near clever enough to pinpoint what the problem is, and I know that we HHOers have a rep for condemning every horse we see on video as lame whether it is or not.

He should be just my sort of horse, but I'm not itching to make you an offer, because I have reservations about him.

My homebred looked a bit like that when she was still out on loan, and she was still going to eventing clinics etc. It turned out she was bilaterally lame in front. We had faffed around with saddle fit, physio etc before it became evident what was really wrong.

If he was mine, I'd be taking him to my vets for a loss of performance workup including a ridden assessment.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I made the same judgement a while ago - I had a fabulous fell pony mare who I bought as a barely handled 3 year old just off the fells. Mainly because my kids wanted a pony so it was to give me something to play with too. I really enjoy educating young horses and wanted an easy pony to back and then a nice steady sort to pootle on. (I had pretty much given up jumping before then due to crippling nerves). She was awesome and gave me back my jumping confidence - we evented the 2nd year I had her and she was double clear all season unaff at 70/80. But she was at her limit and I realised I wanted more. I sold and was horse-less for a while. And then Amber came along who is absolutely the right horse for what I want to do now. Best decision I ever made.

Wheels

Visit site
I've been in a similar position to this, I adolised my young horse (and still do!) So sold on my steady trusty stead via lwvtb to a local lady. I hadn't thought about selling him but she had seen me out riding and instantly loved the horse. She loaned him for a few months and then bought him. I didn't sell him for very much really, could have got double on the open market but I didn't want the hassle. I get to drive passed him and see him in the field at least once a week which is lovely :)

Unfortunately my then young horse had lots of health problems and can no longer be ridden but I don't regret selling Mr steady as he just wasn't for me.

I since bought another horse who is practically perfect in every way

So the moral of this story is that yes, I would sell in your circumstances although I would echo another poster who said he doesn't look 100% comfortable so this might be part of your problem but I'm guessing only part! Maybe a vet check before you put him up for sale so there's no surprises at the vetting. I would think 4-5k if no vetting issues

Good luck

flying_high

Visit site
In that case you should sell him, just don't expect to get an awful lot more for him than you paid, because that would be unrealistic. I should imagine about £3000, if he passes a vetting.

If the horse is schooled to medium, and a kind, confidence giver / all rounder type that passes the vet, can safely take a heavier rider and is only 8, why wouldn't the value be in the region of £5-6K?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

sounds like you've made up your mind then, was just offering a different POV.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If the horse is schooled to medium, and a kind, confidence giver / all rounder type that passes the vet, can safely take a heavier rider and is only 8, why wouldn't the value be in the region of £5-6K?

Because PSSM however mild IS an issue and the majority of people wont want to deal with it once they look into it. If someone had viewed and did the usual google search on him and found the posts about PSSM etc that would be a deal breaker for most.

Theres also schooled to medium as in going ok and can do some of the movements but isn't happy at that level, and then theres schooled to medium as in established and working easily at that level.

Hes got no competition record, isn't an established hunter, hes just going to make a nice horse for someone to have low level fun on, but that's if he is sound and passes a vetting. Hes the sort of horse I quite often find myself looking out for for friends, but based on that video I'd advise them not to view and that's the reality of the market. People are prepared to pay for what they want, but they want it sound and easy with no ifs or buts.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Because most people who want that type of horse are not prepared to pay that kind of money. Similar horses can be found for far less.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Because most people who want that type of horse are not prepared to pay that kind of money. Similar horses can be found for far less.

True, they CAN be found, but I regularly see people paying that sort of money for this type of horse - usually the rather less experienced, 2nd horse seekers who don't have the ability to school on. He's a very desirable sort, but he'd have to pass a vet.

Scarlett

Visit site
This is on my mind. Eight. Great for an improver coming up off novice, or a downsizer coming down off sports horses, nothing he can't turn his foot to, up to a level, natural jumper to a metre or more. Traffic immune. Snaffle mouth, also goes really well in a double. He's got to be worth a lot of money, hasn't he?

Pretty sure folk will bite your arm off for him! Not my type either but I can appreciate he a cracking looking lad and sounds like a gem. Sell him and let someone else appreciate his talents. He's someone's one in a million, just not yours.

flying_high

Visit site
True, they CAN be found, but I regularly see people paying that sort of money for this type of horse - usually the rather less experienced, 2nd horse seekers who don't have the ability to school on. He's a very desirable sort, but he'd have to pass a vet.

I think it is more similar type horse can be bought for less and made if the rider has the skills and attitude to do so. For the rather less experienced, 2nd horse seekers who don't have the ability to school on and develop or improve a horse, this horse is a made horse and probably is worth the money (assuming passes full vetting).

ihatework

Visit site

Really?
Last year I sold a 16hh ID. Safe and sane. Dull as ditchwater. Completely unathletic. Unproven competitively. Sold in 3 days for 6.5k to the first viewer with at least 10 disappointed people in the wings. They are having a fantastic time with him low level RC/hunting/fun rides. I had to motivate myself just to get on him!

But they do need to pass a vet.