Kentucky 5*

IrishMilo

Visit site
Well another interesting decision by the ground jury. They eliminated Zach Brant after he had completed XC clear for pressing a tired horse!!
I thought the whole idea of the tired horse ruling was that it was applied during the round not after the round was complete............

Very strange.
Must be absolutely gutting but fair play to the jury. The horse was absolutely f*%^$D and should have been pulled up on course.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Does anyone know if I can watch the cross country from today on clip my horse, after the fact? Don't want to waste a free trial if it's not possible.

ETA: A friend from the yard who has groomed for a few eventers said that Dublin is a big brute of a horse and can go quite numb if he thinks he knows what he should be doing, which may go some way to explain what you see. I think Tom makes anything he rides look brilliant, I really like him

Last edited:

Fanatical

Visit site
I would NOT want to be a selector.

What a (nice) headache.

Before Kentucky I thought it’d be an all girl team. Ros, Yaz and Laura.

Ros has to be almost a certainty barring injury. And London 52. 3 x 5* winner, previous Olympic gold medalist and still so consistent.

Really not sure JL Dublin is high on the list. He’s had a few wobbles and didn’t look easy to wagon yesterday.

I agree that Oli has most likely just booked his spot. I’d say with Laura and Ros.

There will be a whole host of excellent combinations as reserves. And Badminton could complicate things further.

I guess we’re very lucky to have such strength in depth!

teapot

Visit site
I would NOT want to be a selector.

What a (nice) headache.

Before Kentucky I thought it’d be an all girl team. Ros, Yaz and Laura.

Ros has to be almost a certainty barring injury. And London 52. 3 x 5* winner, previous Olympic gold medalist and still so consistent.

Really not sure JL Dublin is high on the list. He’s had a few wobbles and didn’t look easy to wagon yesterday.

I agree that Oli has most likely just booked his spot. I’d say with Laura and Ros.

There will be a whole host of excellent combinations as reserves. And Badminton could complicate things further.

I guess we’re very lucky to have such strength in depth!

See I'm not so convinced re London 52 - last two team runs he's had, he's had penalities xc. Granted at the Euros it was a flag issue but still. Just something that niggles me, and I'd have been very interested to see if he'd won Badminton had they not been held on course...

The third spot could be anyone - Laura, Tom, Yas, even Tom Jackson has a shout.

ETS: Kitty too sj dependent!

Last edited:

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
See I'm not so convinced re London 52 - last two team runs he's had, he's had penalities xc. Granted at the Euros it was a flag issue but still. Just something that niggles me, and I'd have been very interested to see if he'd won Badminton had they not been held on course...

I do find that it seems if it is easy London goes great, if it gets tough, and he needs to dig deep he seems to not really want to.

Fanatical

Visit site

I agree re London 52. I don’t believe he’s an out and out 5* horse (despite winning 3). He’s avoided Burghley & Kentucky arguably going to the easier events at Pau & Lumuhlen and I also agree it helped him being held at Badminton. He finds it difficult to compress that huge stride and that has caused the issues he has had at recent championships.

It’s certainly not going to be an easy job picking a team.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
It must be a great headache to have for the selectors!
I'm another that really struggles to like London. He's a great looking horse but there have been too many niggles for me!
Really chuffed for Oli!

Parrotperson

Visit site
Can we enter two teams?! 🤣

As for London 52, the Olympics are technically 4* anyway so I wouldn’t be put off too much.

Actually if I think about it we could enter three teams!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks Teapot.

Do we know any more about Toledo? Such a shame he’s not in the equation. I like Dubs, I think goes very well for him and they’ve improved. I think there’s more to come, they’re not quite at the top of their arc.

As for the team, I always raise an eyebrow when they’re announced, but it has to be said that the selectors picked well over the last few big events.

ihatework

Visit site
Ugh, so not quite the result I wanted! Chuffed, oddly, for Buck Davidson who was absolutely made up about leaving all the SJ poles up on his lovely ex racehorse.

Really?! He gives me the biggest ick going, watching him ride. I mean I can appreciate he has produced a lot of horses to the top level so has to be doing something right, but I cannot fathom what/how 🙈

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Really?! He gives me the biggest ick going, watching him ride. I mean I can appreciate he has produced a lot of horses to the top level so has to be doing something right, but I cannot fathom what/how 🙈
I said 'oddly'!
He was clearly over the moon with the horse today - and was the only TB to leave all the poles up, despite having a historically poor SJ record. Credit where it's due and all that!

Nicnac

Visit site
For once I thought Buck looked pretty good in the Sj today. Usually I can't watch him bouncing around like a blancmange. He gets results though and must be very fit.

Delighted for Oli and yes gutting for both Tom and Yaz but can't do better than a 1,2,3. I follow French eventing and they are seriously worried about the Brits taking Paris by storm at their 'home' event. They will field a strong team too.

I think if the US commentator (karen o'connor was it?) called Kirsty Chabert Kristy one more time I would have had to message John Kyle to tell him to correct her!