Lack of horses to Buy!!! 15.2-16.1hh

orionstar

Visit site
Sorry but you've cheered me up. I was starting to worry about not being able to find a nice home for mine in the spring and now I have hope that there are nice people out there still looking.

galaxy

Visit site
Yes, i've only heard good things about clip clop...I am just slightly hesitant about going to a dealer. Also most of the horses listed above it says jumps small fences...really I want something that has done a bit of jumping and can do 2ft9+.

When I was looking I only really went to dealers.... all the private sellers were being totally unrealistic! lol!

Emma's a SJer. My mare was listed as jumping a small course, when I asked what size that was I was told 2ft6/9! So depends on your definition of small!! lol!

I did actually view Hugo, if you want a jumper I'd recommend viewing him. He is very careful and scopey, and has a wonderful canter to jump out of. I didn't go for him as I'm more interested in BD and my mare moved better. Hugo would definitly jump 2ft9+. I reckon he'd BS or BE.

Nothing Original

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of people who are waiting for the spring now before advertising.

To those of you who are, when do you think you will start advertising?

I have been looking since September but no joy yet. December was a write off due to weather and a lot of the adverts that seem to be coming up now are horses that didn't sell before the winter.

I really want to start my search in earnest again now but am wondering if I should hold off for a couple of months in anticipation of the flood of good horses coming up for sale?

orionstar

Visit site
There's two of us on the yard hopeing to sell horses in March, as due to the bad weather and foalie they will have to be brought back into competition fitness (and with mine a makeover lol) before we advertise.

miskettie

Visit site
When I was looking I only really went to dealers.... all the private sellers were being totally unrealistic! lol!

Emma's a SJer. My mare was listed as jumping a small course, when I asked what size that was I was told 2ft6/9! So depends on your definition of small!! lol!

That's reassuring - maybe I will go and look - to me 2ft9 is big...I forget that to alot of people it is small.

Having never been to a dealers, do you just go along a try a selection of horses or do you ususally have one in mind?

Thank you!

silverstar

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of people who are waiting for the spring now before advertising.

I have been looking since September but no joy yet. December was a write off due to weather and a lot of the adverts that seem to be coming up now are horses that didn't sell before the winter.

I really want to start my search in earnest again now but am wondering if I should hold off for a couple of months in anticipation of the flood of good horses coming up for sale?

Im not sure whether to continue looking in a few weeks time/Feb either or should I arrange to view some this weekend or will the weather turn again? Its getting annoying this weather.

Puzzled

Visit site
I have a lovely 15.2hh, 6 years gelding, did a bit of everything last Summer including Pony Club camp, but not having an arena means he's only hacked out since October, suppose there are lots of people in this situation, I would love to advertise him now but keep thinking would it be best to wait till end of Feb/March when I've had chance to neaten up his flatwork (not that it's horrendous!) Or do I take a bit less and advertise him now??!!

littleme

Visit site

Must say I know quite a few people advertising now, one sold at my yard very quickly after being marketed, and know a few people advertising this coming week.

I think people have been waiting for the snow to clear to get horses back into work rather than actually waiting til spring, although know a couple of people who have just turned horses away for the winter from the weather so won't be advertising for a while.

ETA: I think one of the main things putting people off buying/selling with the recent weather is the problem of waiting to vet or pick horses up, I know when one was for sale at ours they were inundated with calls, and people could see her lightly ridden in school (still too hard and snowy for much more!) but there's no way you could hold a vetting or pick her up, so made it pretty pointless advertising. I wonder if some buyers are putting off looking for fear of the weather changeing again?

Last edited:

silverstar

Visit site
Must say I know quite a few people advertising now, one sold at my yard very quickly after being marketed, and know a few people advertising this coming week.

I think people have been waiting for the snow to clear to get horses back into work rather than actually waiting til spring, although know a couple of people who have just turned horses away for the winter from the weather so won't be advertising for a while.

Its a pain this weather, Im not sure whether to ring up or not as they've forcast more snow this weekend.

littleme

Visit site
Its a pain this weather, Im not sure whether to ring up or not as they've forcast more snow this weekend.

Just added to my post before I read your reply, its difficult, if there's something you like the look at no harm in ringing up and going to see, but if you do like it I'd hurry along to get vetted and home ASAP just in case. Private sellers probably wouldn't be too concerned but I bet some dealers (and some private owners!!) might charge livery if they get stuck there for some time after you have bought horse. You never know! Or you can at least put a deposit down and pay up/take it when snow clears - thats if it comes at all!
But if you seen something that you think would be perfect I'd go for it, in case something similar doesn't come up again!

KVH

Visit site
Maybe have a look here, http://eliteirishhorses.com/stock.php, they are based in next to Boomerang in Berkshire.

I've not bought from them but a few friends have, and have tried quite a few horses with the bloke there, he's a nice guy and honest. They had a stunning 15hh chesnut on there a few weeks ago which I was swooning over!

Thanks, yeah they're abit too far from me unfortunately!
And have spoken to Emma at clipclop traders who was very nice but unfortunately nothing in that fits the bill at the mo!

galaxy

Visit site
That's reassuring - maybe I will go and look - to me 2ft9 is big...I forget that to alot of people it is small.

Having never been to a dealers, do you just go along a try a selection of horses or do you ususally have one in mind?

Thank you!

When I rang her she asked which ones on her site I liked. We then talked about them. She asked what I wanted and ruled 1/2 out as not suitable. From the start she said she thought my mare would be better for me.... even though she was cheaper! I looked at the 2 of them. But sure she'd show you as many as you want. She's an honest upfront woman. You couldn't want better!

WelshTilly

Visit site
I'm sorted!!!!! Thanks to Emerald Equine. My new horse had it 5 Stage vetting done today and passed with flying colours!

Yippy.

Pick her up on Saturday :)

Im sooo pleased for you, looking forward to seeing lots of piccy's!! :)

Im off to view a couple over this weekend and next week so keeping my fingers crossed!!

fruity

Visit site
See i've not advertised my 15hh welsh D yet as assumed no one would be buying just yet and was going to wait til end of Feb. He is a fab rc allrounder,has seen hounds and loves hunting,would do very well in M&M classes,very affectionate,no ifs or buts,never been sick or sorry. I was going to put him out on loan with a view to buy but maybe i should just advertise after reading this! Guess the snow didn't put everyone off!

Stelzar

Visit site
Im sooo pleased for you, looking forward to seeing lots of piccy's!! :)

Im off to view a couple over this weekend and next week so keeping my fingers crossed!!

Am I right in thinking there is a massive gap in the market in Devon for Warmbloods/Hannoverian/Middle weight types? Kerry?

Just I know someone back from where I am from that has some really nice youngstock that I can bring on if there would be the market for it.

I have a middleweigh that would suit you actually alas he is not for sale but I may be looking for a sharer for him in the near future.

DollyCoblet

Visit site
Stelzar - Would say not, I have a 16.2hh warmblood mare which I had for sale last year nice type with good bloodlines ready to bring on reduced her down to 2.2k in the end and she still didnt sell...Have friends in the same boat with some decent warmbloody or middleweight type's 16hh+ who had no luck in selling last year with silly prices and will try again this spring.
The Cornwall/Devon area seems a bit dire so selling horses of this type, tempted to send my mare up country to try and sell.

WelshTilly

Visit site
Stelzar - Would say not, I have a 16.2hh warmblood mare which I had for sale last year nice type with good bloodlines ready to bring on reduced her down to 2.2k in the end and she still didnt sell...Have friends in the same boat with some decent warmbloody or middleweight type's 16hh+ who had no luck in selling last year with silly prices and will try again this spring.
The Cornwall/Devon area seems a bit dire so selling horses of this type, tempted to send my mare up country to try and sell.

Hi Stelzar -There seems to be alot on the market 16hh+ in the South West, although im prob not best placed to comment as im struggling in the 15-15'3hh bracket safe sane and sensible which is always a popular choice anyhow no matter where in the country!!

fatponee

Visit site
I have a 16hh 7y dutch warmblood that I'm hoping to sell this year! Not novice ride as can need a kick every now and then but you can ride him hacking with reins on buckle and with your feet out the stirrups if you so desire! Only drawback is he had a fall with his previous owner (2 1/2 years ago) when showjumping and has no confidence doing that now. Will pop a log in the forest though. Have no idea how I'm going to sell him! :rolleyes:

silverstar

Visit site
I'm sorted!!!!! Thanks to Emerald Equine. My new horse had it 5 Stage vetting done today and passed with flying colours!

Yippy.

Pick her up on Saturday :)

Yey, any photos?

Im still looking may have a potential horse to see at weekend. Bit of a long journey to get to her tho.

silverstar

Visit site
I am also searching for a horse at the moment too. I found the perfect horse but it failed its vetting and then found another and I can't get hold of the lady selling it, so probably giving up on that one.

So if anyone has a 15hh - 16hh, 6 - 11 year old allrounder in the south east for under £4000 let me know...I am starting to feel like I am vegitating from lack of riding.

I know what you mean miskettie, Ive not had a horse for 4 months now but it feels like a year.

shelley8697

Visit site
This is my new girl.

www.emeraldequine.co.uk/lovely_eventrc_prospect_1024.htm

She is so sweet, a little green, but I hacked her out the second day I had her on my own in the wind across open county, lanes and over a railway bridge - she didn't put a foot wrong :)

Tonight I rode her in the school and even though some of the horses were running around next door, she was really good.

She loves cuddles and scratching!

P.s - Got a good deal on the price!

competitiondiva

Visit site
That is so funny, i was looking through horsedeals and saw her in an ad, and nearly mentioned her to someone else who was looking!!!! So funny that you bought her, she did look nice, so happy for you. Good luck with her...x

shelley8697

Visit site
That is so funny, i was looking through horsedeals and saw her in an ad, and nearly mentioned her to someone else who was looking!!!! So funny that you bought her, she did look nice, so happy for you. Good luck with her...x

Thank you... she has a lot of filling out to do, but she is just was I was looking for. Can't wait for her to get some spring grass ! I think she may grow a little too. :)

kezimac

Visit site
I know of a 15.2hh 8 yr mare that my trainer will be selling. Done a bit of BSJA i believe and will be sold as an all round type. if interested can pass you onto her.
She is midlands area

The other one i know is a 16.1 happy hacker - no dressage as had bone spavins and tight circles too much for him but would hack all day. Lovely horse - this is a freinds horse - midlands area again,

Vibella

Visit site
She's lovely shame I'm the wrong end on the country they have some nice horses on their website ..... my search continues.

paddy

Visit site
We'll be selling one of ours in the spring but will use the next couple of months to get him out to a few more shows and make sure he's going to be sensible in different environments - he was backed last year as an older horse and so is green. Cracking horse but we decided there was no point in trying to sell him over the winter, and as my parents have owned him since he was born, I'm not really in any rush to see him go either :(

Prices are still pretty awful and so a lot of sellers are holding off in the hope the market might pick up.