Laminitis with no improvement

chaps89

Visit site
It's because we love them that we can do this final act of kindness for them.
It's hard, so hard, but it's a privilege to have them in our lives and to be able to prevent them suffering.
No-one could say you haven't tried, but please allow her the dignity of going whilst she still has some spark to her, that is alot of pain relief and she still sounds like she's showing signs of pain.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Why do we have to love them so much? They make it so hard because we love them so much. Especially when I go to the yard and see her looking better, throwing her head round whinnying and standing absolutely fine. Urgh

View attachment 44950

PSD I'm so sorry, but that isn't a picture of a horse standing fine. You are so used to seeing her standing in acute pain that it looks fine to you. To me, that is a picture of a horse sore in all four feet temprorarily distracted from pain by a bucket of food.

PSD

Visit site
PSD I'm so sorry, but that isn't a picture of a horse standing fine. You are so used to seeing her standing in acute pain that it looks fine to you. To me, that is a picture of a horse sore in all four feet temprorarily distracted from pain by a bucket of food.

you’re very right there. To me she looks fine but this is in comparison to what I’ve seen, my vet is calling me first thing tomorrow morning

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have to pat you on the back PSD, your reaction to every comment on this thread has been that of an A1 class owner.

When you talk to your vet tomorrow, ask yourself, and them, what her future, at best, is likely ever to be. It is very unlikely to be grazing happily in a green field.

Last edited:

PSD

Visit site
I gave to pat you on the back PSD, your reaction to every comment on this thread has been that of an A1 class owner.

When you talk to your vet tomorrow, ask yourself, and then, what her future, at best, is likely ever to be. It is very unlikely to be grazing happily in a green field.

Thank you. It’s been a huge learning curve and I appreciate every single comment that everyone has made.

From what I can gather, the fact that EMS is the cause it’s very likely it will return and there’s slim chance of her ever being able to graze happily with her pals. To me that is not a life for a horse, not for her anyway. She’s only “happy” to be on box rest because she can’t really move. Had she been in full health she would definitely be protesting about being in right now! She loves being out (to the point I can’t catch her!), she loves being ridden and she loves jumping and hunting. None of which will probably ever happen again and I only think it’s fair that I let her go now whilst she still has a bit of spirit than get to a point where she’s desperately pleading to go.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Thank you. It’s been a huge learning curve and I appreciate every single comment that everyone has made.

From what I can gather, the fact that EMS is the cause it’s very likely it will return and there’s slim chance of her ever being able to graze happily with her pals. To me they is not a life for a horse, not for her anyway. She’s only “happy” to be on box rest because she can’t really move. Had she been in full health she would definitely be protesting about being in right now! She loves being out (to the point I can’t catch her!), she loves being ridden and she loves jumping and hunting. None of which will probably ever happen again and I only think it’s fair that I let her go now whilst she still has a bit of spirit than get to a point where she’s desperately pleading to go.
I'm so sorry, I'll be thinking of you both. She's lucky to have you xx

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I am so sorry to see your update. I've had to go through losing 2 to laminitis and it's bloody hard. But in the end the decision had to be made, for the ponies' sakes.

Your mare is lucky to have such a dedicated and caring owner. You really couldn't have done anything more to help her, and I hope you will take some comfort from that xx

alibali

Visit site

From what I can gather, the fact that EMS is the cause it’s very likely it will return and there’s slim chance of her ever being able to graze happily with her pals. To me they is not a life for a horse, not for her anyway. She’s only “happy” to be on box rest because she can’t really move. Had she been in full health she would definitely be protesting about being in right now! She loves being out (to the point I can’t catch her!), she loves being ridden and she loves jumping and hunting. None of which will probably ever happen again and I only think it’s fair that I let her go now whilst she still has a bit of spirit than get to a point where she’s desperately pleading to go.

I can't bring myself to 'like' your post but completely agree with everything you say. You have been completely dedicated to her welfare, at the end of the day quality of life is much more important than quantity especially for animals which have no concept of tomorrow and only know the here and now. There are many worse fates for a horse than being gently put to sleep with love and kindness.

LeneHorse

Visit site
I've followed your heartbreaking journey but haven't been commented as it brings back painful memories of losing my first horse nearly 20 years ago to laminitis. Like you, the vets wanted to try different things but eventually I couldn't bear to see her suffering any more and she was put to sleep. You sound like a lovely caring owner and I hope all goes well with you tomorrow, you are doing the right thing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its very sad but her quality of life is the most important thing and i think you are right, it is time to make that decision. if you have made your mind up please dont let your vet prolong it any longer, you have given everything a try and she is still in pain. hope you can manage to get all sorted tomorrow. good luck

fusspot

Visit site
Such a hard decision to make...mine was still whinnying at me and I kept thinking that I could see an improvement when deep down I knew the time had come.I lost 2 in a year to laminitis,both caused by underlying health conditions which would only ever be controlled by medication and never curable or with a decent quality of life. I tried absolutely everything for them both and that is the one thing I can take from it all. I was devastated but can honestly say that once the total exhaustion that hit me for about a week after had subsided,I actually felt a sense of relief that they were no longer in pain and I had done the right thing as a sensible owner.I feel every pain and thought you are going through as only a year since I lost my boy and still very raw.One thing is for sure, if you do let her go soon,you will have everybody’s backing and thoughts on here.Will be thinking of you.x

Yeomans

Visit site
Just caught up with the thread from yesterday and reading through I am sitting here with tears down my face really feeling for you today. You are one special owner and we can all see how much you love your horse and will be doing what you think best. You have had good advice from the people on here that are all feeling your pain. Will be thinking of you today, big hugs.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
What more is there to say ? It's really tough but the more you love them, the harder it is to let them go, but you will feel relief that her pain is over. At least you can stuff her full of nice food beforehand....

misst

Visit site
I am sorry things have not gone well. I know you have tried but I am hoping you have made your decision. She looks truely uncomfortable in the picture and I know you want the best for her but please don't be blinded by your own needs.She is lucky to be loved so much x