Laminitis with no improvement

holeymoley

Visit site
Gosh I’m so sorry to be reading this, I hadn’t realised there were more updates since I last commented.

I’m absolutely gutted that she’s still not improved. I echo the others that it is still a lot of pain relief to be on now at this stage. I think the likelihood of Her coming right now is very slim. As the others have said even if she does recover she will never live a life like most horses. Laminitis is the worst most awful thing for anyone, horse and owner, to go through and I don’t think I would do it again.

I don’t say it lightly but I think you know yourself what to do xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have not looked on here for a while because I kind of knew what the outcome would be:(

I am so sorry you will feel shit for a while I know I did but you totally did the right thing, laminitis is a horrible horrible condition and it's my worst fear with horses, my mare had ems and cushings I was fighting a loosing battle she would never have been happy being in just like your little horse.

I just hope your looking after yourself you did everything you possibly could for her and have been an amazing horse owner, my heart goes out to you sending you massive hugs xxx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've been in touch with PictusSweetDreams and she'd like you all to know that she's ok but needs a bit of time and space, which I'm sure we can all understand. I'm sure she'll be back :)

Do you know whether she was given hope/reason to carry on , or has called it a day?

No criticism either way, but the condolences may be premature?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Do you know whether she was given hope/reason to carry on , or has called it a day?

After I wrote my post I did kind of think the same! I hope I haven't posted the wring response I deeply apologise if I have

Nari

Visit site

On both farrier and vet advice she's carrying on, but on the understanding that if x-rays show a worsening or she stops being bright then that will be enough.

Apologies if my reply was too vague, all I was really trying to say was that PSD is ok and while she appreciates the support she just needs some time to get her head around things and see how things work out.

PSD

Visit site
Hi everyone.

Thank you for your well wishes and keeping me in your thoughts. As Nari advises she is still here with me at the moment as the vet and farrier would both like to re x ray when the shoes are next due to be done next tuesday Given that she is bright in herself they said a little more time won’t harm her, however at the minute she isn’t doing well. She is back on more pain relief as the right fore is back to giving her grief.

I understand that most have said to let her go and I am in full agreement, but given they want to just check the inside of the foot before this I am happy to just wait a little longer as she has been made more comfortable for the time being. I went to the vets yesterday to pick some medication up and had a chat with the vet dealing with her who was very understanding and said it could just be that she is one of those who takes longer to heal.

Long story short we have now all agreed that unless there is significant improvement in the x rays, she will be pts next week. I have also said that unless the improvement is relatively big she will be pts, so if it’s only 1 or 2 degrees then to me that isn’t a great deal given everything we’ve been doing. I have advised them that I am not willing to have her on box rest for a further 6-12 months (vet said this could be how long it takes her to recover) as it’s already been 4 months with no improvement. I’m really shocked the imprints haven’t helped her, I really thought they were going to be the missing link.

I have spoken with my YO and given her the heads up too, she is being fully supportive of my decision and agrees.

So in a nutshell, unless the outcome of those x rays next week are a huge improvement, it will be the end of the road. I didn’t really want to wait another week however for now she’s comfortable and I would kick myself for not seeing what’s going on under the surface, though I know what the outcome is going to be either way. She’s exhausted as am I, which is why I haven’t posted for a few days. I’m just going to enjoy the next few days with her as much as I can and make them pleasant for her too. It’s so crappy when you try everything, spend thousands and it still doesn’t help them. But I can already feel the relief of knowing she won’t be in pain for much longer.

Again thank you all for your kind words, it really is comforting.

PSD

Visit site
Thank you. It’s just really rubbish that we can’t be superheroes and fix them all. She owes me nothing though, she’s the best horse I’ve ever owned. It’s time for me to repay her for everything she’s done for me, I’ve been through a lot since I bought her personally and she’s been there every step of the way. It really sucks but I guess that’s part and parcel of owning these wonderful animals

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that you are both still struggling with this and frankly I am appalled at your vet and farrier. I am sure they know, as you do, that the x-rays will not show much, if any, improvement. It seems that they are treating this as an academic exercise, rather than feeling empathy for you and your horse. I do understand that it is difficult to stand up to professionals who are determined on a course of action. I have been there and done that.

PSD

Visit site
Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that you are both still struggling with this and frankly I am appalled at your vet and farrier. I am sure they know, as you do, that the x-rays will not show much, if any, improvement. It seems that they are treating this as an academic exercise, rather than feeling empathy for you and your horse. I do understand that it is difficult to stand up to professionals who are determined on a course of action. I have been there and done that.

it is really hard you’re right. Especially when even if they give you the tiniest glimmer of hope, human nature clings to that and you believe that because they are the professionals they must be seeing something you’re not. But they both know where I am at now with my decision and it isn’t one I’ve come to lightly as you all know. I even said to the vet, I know it’s your job to save her but they can’t all be saved which is when I saw a look in his eye that to me meant I was right and he knew this pony can’t be saved.

that being said, the x rays will probably confirm my choice and things will be stopped.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think this is helpful or correct and is quite insensitive.

The horse is on additional pain relief and is bright and happy as she can be. She’s in no worse condition than she was 2 months ago. Another few days or a week will make no difference to her at all. OP has already put so much money and effort into this so I don’t think there’s any harm in getting the evidence she needs to stop trying. It will make it a lot easier for OP afterwards that she knew she’d exhausted all possibilities.

It’s all very easy to comment when you aren’t looking at the horse in front of you, just reading on a forum, but the only one who really knows the right thing to do is the OP. She has a plan and that should be respected.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don’t think this is helpful or correct and is quite insensitive.

The horse is on additional pain relief and is bright and happy as she can be. She’s in no worse condition than she was 2 months ago. Another few days or a week will make no difference to her at all. OP has already put so much money and effort into this so I don’t think there’s any harm in getting the evidence she needs to stop trying. It will make it a lot easier for OP afterwards that she knew she’d exhausted all possibilities.

It’s all very easy to comment when you aren’t looking at the horse in front of you, just reading on a forum, but the only one who really knows the right thing to do is the OP. She has a plan and that should be respected.

I am certainly not going to debate the issue with you on this thread. Perhaps you posted before you had read OP's reply to me. However if you feel that you would like to discuss further, please PM me.