Last 5 Years, Did you vet ever write "bute" in your horse's passport?

Last 5 years, did the vet write "bute" in your horse's passport?

• Total voters

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think that the problem eminates in France, rather than the UK. And providing you don't buy prosessed meat, you should be eating what you bought.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Please be careful of what you are asking!
If a vet is compelled to write that the horse has had Bute then it will be practically impossible to get a hold of the meds for general use.

Evidently, according to my vet, as he reads it, if a horse receives Bute during its lifetime then it is out of the food chain forever.

That probably rules out 99% of horses!

morrismob

Visit site
All 5 have been signed out of the food chain and vet has written in all passports even the 2 year olds that they have recieved bute, 2 yr old following his castration. I too only send mine to the hunt kennels.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I think that the problem eminates in France, rather than the UK. And providing you don't buy prosessed meat, you should be eating what you bought.

Thought I'd heard that it was something to do with Ireland??

Doesn't matter whether an owner has signed the declaration to prevent the horse entering the food chain or not if Bute or similar is prescribed and the vet doesn't ask to see the passport who is at fault?

Whose responsiibilty is it if a horse with bute traces enters the food chain, the vet who prescribed the drug or the owner?

I always take my horses passport with me when the vet is due out or when we are travelling and have never as yet been asked for it except to enter routine vacs.

LCobby

Visit site
I didn't vote as vet has checked and has on record that the Not for Human Consumption box has been ticked. Therefore recording of medication is not required.

starryeyed

Visit site
My gelding was on bute for about a year, it was never marked on his passport and the human consumption box was left. I had no plans to send him off anywhere though, he was PTS at home.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
One has had it written in, the other hasn't.

The one that had it amended was when he was hospitalised. He is french and has a french passport which has two pages in french, one that says this horse is destined for human comsumption and one that says this horse is not intended for human comsumption.

Myself and vet dredged up some poorly remembered school french and we think we got the right page signed

mcnaughty

Visit site
I was so angry with the comments a veterinary officer on the Friday lunchtime news made, I have sent the BBC a link to this poll so please keep your comments and votes coming! As I said on the findus thread. I am a meat eater and therefore cannot really be squeamish about the type of food I eat but I do have serious concerns about that is IN that meat - especially where my kids are concerned! I do always try to eat good quality, organic where possible and home cooked food but .... I am lucky to be able to afford this luxury! There are a lot of families who cannot but they should be able to rest easy knowing what they are eating!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It doesn't matter where the horse is destined, the point is the vets have not been signing or checking passports. I was given pen and strep which also knocks them out of food chain and I was not even informed of this.

If its beef or lamb/mutton I have to keep a record of what meds are bought, what stock they are used on and when, adhere to withdrawals and when sending for slaughter, I have to sign a FCI (food chain information) form to say they are not under withdrawal for anything. This is checked up on too!

The meat has been criminally sold as beef, the horses won't have passports or any traceability, you can be sure of that.

Buy British Beef and Lamb :cool:

StormyMoments

Visit site
no... and he was on it for 6 months and then 2 months then 3 weeks and then on and off for various reasons... i wouldnt want to eat my horse but nothing was ever written in his passport...

pizzi

Visit site
The vet asked if I had signed the no slaughter part of the Welshies passport, as she is a bit of a Danilon junkie, due to chronic laminitis (although she has only been on it once this year, she has done really well.)

3Beasties

Visit site
No but my vet asked if I had signed the 'not for human consumption' part of my passport when she gave me bute last week. I haven't signed it and she didn't insist that I did, it was more of a passing comment for me to do it if I didn't want him to end up as lasagne!

mynutmeg

Visit site
All of ours are signed not for human consumption so although I've answered no there is no requirement to record. I have been asked about it by vets tho

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Had one for 6 years had bute several times vet never wrote in passport, had one 2 years got bute only last month and had it in the summer two different vets no record of it didnt even ask to see it, passports what a waste of time they were.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
My mare has been on and off bute for the last 10 years or so due to various hoof problems and yes the vet has marked it in her passport although because I keep a supply of bute at all times ready for her and my boy had an abcess a few months ago I gave him bute which has not been put on his passport although vet did tell me to fill it in but I just haven't got round to it.

Yertis

Visit site
I haven't voted, suggest you have a box for Is horse signed out in passport and did vet record this. With each new horse or pony my vet has checked the passport, discussed whether I want to sign (yes) and recorded this at the practice. 2 of my oldies are on Danilon and are vet checked every six months, when locum came to do the check she asked to see passports as she didn't know the horses, so think they are doing their part.

firm

www.blacklaw-stud.com
I can't believe how many vets are not checking. My vet checks all my passports and as they are all signed out of the foodchain, does not need to record medication. Every new horse I get or foal born is checked.

SO1

Visit site
No and not signed out of food consumption, pony has over the last 5 years had bute, antibiotics and ventipulmin and I have always had his passport when the vet has come and the only time they have asked is when he has his vacinations.

The thing is if you loose your horses' passport you can get another one quite easily and it will not have all the medicines recorded in it. I suppose a responsible vet would when preparing the information for a replacement passport insist when it arrived it was updated with not for human consumption.

_GG_

Visit site
My mare is signed out and she is the only one of mine to have been prescribed bite in the last five years.

I voted no however, as the vet didn't ask to see her passport or ask me if she was signed out or not. It never came up. It was me that mentioned it to him...the next time I saw him.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I've seen bute passed about quite casually on yards - oh she's a bit lame, I'll lend you a few days bute, she'll be ok. No mention of passports, no consultation with the vet re a prescription only medicine! Shocking IMHO!

Boulty

Visit site
Nope, I had not for human consumption bit filled out but can't recall ever having been asked about this at the time of being prescribed bute (vet did advise me to fill it out at the time of getting the passport but that's it). Vet was on yard other day and said although he's not heard anything official yet he thinks it's something that's about to be tightened up on and that it's likely vets WILL start asking to see the passport in future. Also recommended keeping a photocopy of id page and declaration page somewhere on yard so that they can be got at in an emergency if you can't get there and also for if yard was to ever get inspected (another thing that may get tightened up on)

Littlelegs

Visit site
4 & 1/2 yrs ago I had the vet out to a yearling I hadn't even owned 24hrs, & who wasn't passported. He was happy to give me a stash of bute amongst other things. Next time he saw her he never saw the passport either. I think he's fully aware though I'd only ever pts at home.

Welly

Visit site
I have never show my horses passport to a vet for drugs, also I have had 3 PTS by injection and this was not put in thier passports, I still have thier passports!