Last Weekend Plans for Feb

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What's everyone got planned?

Forecast here actually looks OK for a change. Hoping the fields will dry out a bit as we have a fair bit of maintenance to do. The oldies need 2 trees taking down, some fencing and the field shelter setting upright, and then I ought to fence a bit of ground off if it's going to stay dry, to let the grass grow ready to put the tiddlers over there....

But I expect OH will have other plans and it will all have to wait again ;)

Kira is all signed off from the vets and we had a fab ride yesterday , first time back in proper working tack and she was 100% ready to go. So nice to feel her powering away again, so we just need to work on her fitness over the next few weeks.

hope everyone gets some sunshine....

smiley cob to kick off

154475866_4088696721141807_8377925694575799885_o.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
More of the same. Weather looks good so if I want to get out on the only tracks that are not a mud bath I'll have to be early to beat the hordes of covid walkers ?
I'm seriously contemplating booking my 3 to justify at least a lesson or two after the 8th of March, we've done nothing but hack for so long now! If the weather stays dry and the surface is ok I might put a couple of jumps up in the arena just for a bit of a change

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Ignoring the nice weather and using my lovely-very-expensive-fur-lined riding boots, whilst hacking :cool:! Will probably get some jump schooling in too. I've been rash and booked in for some clear round jumping when Kelsall opens again so need to get the brave pants ready for our first attempt at a 90 :eek:.

Topaz isn't a fan of the talk of lifting lockdown, she was made to go up and down a big hill in search of fitness!
154560600_1535985183254003_5520546160650000593_n.jpg

She thinks dressage horses shouldn't have to do such things :p.

oldie48

Visit site
I've being keeping quiet because I've been worrying about Rose but she saw the vet again today. Following her HA hock injections she had four days of hand walking then came back into work. TBH by day three she looked fantastic, day four she came out of the stable with a fat left hock and some heat. Course of antibiotics (just in case) and a sachet of bute twice a day + hand walking and she was looking much better but not completely OK. Anyway, it's pretty good news so far, X ray showed her hock is very good for her age, scan showed v slight damage to outside collateral ligament and some fibres in the capsule causing synovitis. She is pretty much sound, just coming up slightly short on a circle in trot on left hind but flexion tests were OK on all four legs. I am very relieved and treatment is to continue the hand walking for another two weeks then hopefully to start work again. The vet has top notch portable equipment so I was pleased that there was no to-ing and fro-ing and I could see all the pics and have them explained. So my weekend is more hand walking and grooming (she's very shiny) good for my fitness level! The weather is beautiful so I hope everyone can have a pleasant time on their horses.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Same, we've not jumped a stick since before Xmas and not a coloured pole since about October ??

I think our last outing was Kelsall in Oct? We've jumped at home, but definitely not a course of full up 90 fences, I've got a few weeks to get us brave lol!

Bernster

Visit site
Haha also planning my coming out of lockdown activities ! Horse has been ticking over but I’m fit and unfit, although that’s no different to normal, but need to step up the work and start jumping practice again. Doing poles whilst the eve are still dark and then more jumpies soon.

My lorry is in dire need too, so having new battery being fitted on Saturday, arranging a clean up, and booking my mot in March so it’s all ready. Mot has been extended by 3 months due to COVID which is lucky as i hadn’t realised it expired this weekend!

Roxylola

Visit site
I think our last outing was Kelsall in Oct? We've jumped at home, but definitely not a course of full up 90 fences, I've got a few weeks to get us brave lol!
We don't jump at home really we've only got a little square all weather arena which gets pretty deep at times so I tend to avoid it. I've booked the 80 and 90, so if the 80 is a car crash we might just pack up and go home ?

oldie48

Visit site
Haha also planning my coming out of lockdown activities ! Horse has been ticking over but I’m fit and unfit, although that’s no different to normal, but need to step up the work and start jumping practice again. Doing poles whilst the eve are still dark and then more jumpies soon.

My lorry is in dire need too, so having new battery being fitted on Saturday, arranging a clean up, and booking my mot in March so it’s all ready. Mot has been extended by 3 months due to COVID which is lucky as i hadn’t realised it expired this weekend!
Don't make the same mistake as me though. I always book my lorry in so if it needs attention it is done and retested but last time I didn't. They found a small issue but couldn't repair it and although we were not at the end of the extended period, I couldn't use the lorry until I got in booked back in and repaired.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
We don't jump at home really we've only got a little square all weather arena which gets pretty deep at times so I tend to avoid it. I've booked the 80 and 90, so if the 80 is a car crash we might just pack up and go home ?

I'm debating asking if they can put ground lines everywhere for us and some nice grids to get our eye in as that's our comfort zone lol, but that's my plan if the 80 goes badly or the 90 looks huge we'll just come home!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Hacking, hacking and hacking!
Really looking forward to it as has just been too wet to do much more then walk, and the weather has been either wet or windy, or frozen so barely left the yard since Christmas - especially the broken/rehabbing boy as dared not have him slipping around. So looking forward to going for some good canters as the ground is very nearly perfect.
Will also be joining in with the getting the horsebox ready, and booking in lessons and planning comps. Feeling much more motivated now.
Although that will probably change when I head back to work on 8th

Sail_away

Visit site
I’ve got a lesson tomorrow, hack Saturday and I’ll find something to do on Sunday. Probably a short hack and a schooling session. I’ve been really enjoying exploring the hacking routes around our new yard - so many different ways to go and Viva just loves it, hacking calms her brain and she seems to like the little adventures we go on.
And hopefully we’ll visit the retired boy too - mum has apparently adopted him since I’ve got Viva to ride. This seems to mean buying more things for him and sucking up to him with carrots, which he is all for!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Taking along weekend this weekend - have convinced OH to come to the yard tomorrow to help me give older horse a jump - he hasn't jumped properly since December and with eventing potentially on the horizon, we best get to it. Then two days of hacking, with a decent long one on the Sunday. Have pulled together a bit of a schedule for how on earth I get him fit enough, without being able to leave the yard. Our hacking is completely flat - how I managed to move from East Anglia to the North West, and end up with less hills, not more, I do not know.

Baby horse will go for a short short 1.5 mile-ish hack tomorrow (with accompaniment on foot) do 15 minutes trotting over random single poles in the arena on Saturday and then do another super short hack but solo on Sunday.

And I have a dressage judge training webinar Saturday morning, which is always fascinating!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I was meant to be at camp this weekend but alas not to be. It was one I organised so it's almost a relief as it would have been very last minute if we got the go ahead by BJ on tne 22nd for a camp starting on the 26th! We were resignied to having to reschedule so had done nothing much really in terms of preparation.

So instead, hacking tomorrow and jumping lesson on Sunday.

Bernster

Visit site
Don't make the same mistake as me though. I always book my lorry in so if it needs attention it is done and retested but last time I didn't. They found a small issue but couldn't repair it and although we were not at the end of the extended period, I couldn't use the lorry until I got in booked back in and repaired.

Eek. I short cut it as I’m not good at practical stuff, so I get a mechanic to collect it, service and check it and then run it through the mot. He can then fix whatever comes up but hopefully not much as it’s only a few years old. Standing around for 4 months won’t have helped though so bits might have seized up! Will give it a spin this weekend once the battery is done to see how it goes. Wish me luck!

TheMule

Visit site
Great news that Kira has the all clear ?
I'm going to build a course in the giant outdoor at work and have a proper jump round. With eventing very definitely back on the radar we need to get back into full match practice ready to get out as soon as possible.
My rising 4yr olds are on week 2 of groundwork as preparation for re-backing so they will both go out ride and lead whilst the roads are quiet in the mornings and do some in-hand work in the school. We're enjoying learning some new skills- we have leg yield and shoulder in nailed (well, the horse baby does, the mule baby has her own agenda ?)

scats

Visit site
Weathers looking good (for a change) so probably be hacking. May do a session in the school.
Millie was wired tonight on our hack around the fields and then proceeded to reverse me towards the birket, spin and generally be an idiot on the lane because... well, who knows... because a bird moved in a bush 3 miles away probably!
So a nice little reminder why I don’t take her out on any main roads!
We did go and visit the new lambs though, and had a chat with the sheep lad who was checking on them. Nice little evening.

Michen

Visit site
Taking Bog for some proper canter work this weekend! I have my eye on a 65cm hunter trial in April which I think will be within reach if we lollop around with young Bear behind us :)

Did canter poles with him tonight (having been given a firm kick up the arse to crack on an hour earlier by my vet) and he feels fantastic.

Michen

Visit site
Hacking, hacking and hacking!
Really looking forward to it as has just been too wet to do much more then walk, and the weather has been either wet or windy, or frozen so barely left the yard since Christmas - especially the broken/rehabbing boy as dared not have him slipping around. So looking forward to going for some good canters as the ground is very nearly perfect.
Will also be joining in with the getting the horsebox ready, and booking in lessons and planning comps. Feeling much more motivated now.
Although that will probably change when I head back to work on 8th

I hope you haven't been up L.K recently as the track is pretty much ruined, as is the short jack mills :( hedge cutters!

I am going to box a few miles down the road as need a decent straight long canter stretch for Bog and the only one we had is now so trashed.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I hope you haven't been up L.K recently as the track is pretty much ruined, as is the short jack mills :( hedge cutters!

I am going to box a few miles down the road as need a decent straight long canter stretch for Bog and the only one we had is now so trashed.

Boo. To be fair did jack mills the other day at its getting better. Not done LK for weeks.
May head up the gallops or over the 34.

Are we allowed to box out? Presume it would be ok after 8th? Haven't spotted anything in any of the updates, it all just talks about lessons and competitions .

Michen

Visit site
Boo. To be fair did jack mills the other day at its getting better. Not done LK for weeks.
May head up the gallops or over the 34.

Are we allowed to box out? Presume it would be ok after 8th? Haven't spotted anything in any of the updates, it all just talks about lessons and competitions .

You are allowed to box out for welfare reasons regarding exercise, and at the owners discretion to decide what constitutes that. Personally I am happy to trailer 3 miles down the road (really don't want to ride Bog on the main road atm!) to access decent cantering ground to loosen off tendon adhesions as a good enough reason. I'd use our usual LK if the track hadn't been so ruined.

racebuddy

Visit site
Finally a weekend off im absolutely exhausted working so much and this lockdown definitely a lot tougher and certainly overthinking things which wouldnt usually ever bother me ?? things getting better with lockdown easing soon , horse been kept fit and happy treadmilling every other week to keeo him sane ?? chilled weekend of hacking this weekend and much needed sleep ?

Attachments

• EBC8C68F-7969-42F6-B22C-289159F1D9C7.jpg
    EBC8C68F-7969-42F6-B22C-289159F1D9C7.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 856F9845-7F21-47C2-97E8-2B377C02D201.jpg
    856F9845-7F21-47C2-97E8-2B377C02D201.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 4EC63609-5605-4704-A925-71802401D0D3.jpg
    4EC63609-5605-4704-A925-71802401D0D3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Weather looks like it will be pleasant here. I'll be up the yard to do jobs for share horse and possibly regretting my decision to stop riding right as Spring is coming! In all seriousness, I think it is the right decision to bring my share to an end, and to look forward to the riding schools opening again to restart the riding side of things.

It's exciting seeing that hopefully events will open up again soon and the weather is picking up. I'm looking forward to everyone's updates over the coming weeks and just hope it all goes to plan!

Northern

Visit site
Woohoo for Kira! You got her through MP.

I think I’ll just school and hack out this weekend, nothing particularly exciting. Pony has had an easy week because I drove to Melbourne and back earlier this week to get out of town.

Obligatory Sunny hack photo from this afternoon, though I believe the weather seems to be warming up in your hemisphere ? my Sunny photos may no longer be needed soon!

ECF16EF6-FED0-4A0B-A1BC-FF26EF3696FB.jpeg
Pony is also now in a muzzle and not too pleased! But we’ve had another flush of grass and she’s better off out with her friends in a muzzle. She doesn’t think so...

Have a good weekend all!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Taking Bog for some proper canter work this weekend! I have my eye on a 65cm hunter trial in April which I think will be within reach if we lollop around with young Bear behind us :)

Did canter poles with him tonight (having been given a firm kick up the arse to crack on an hour earlier by my vet) and he feels fantastic.
Is this Munstead by any chance? Saw the event pop up on FB and felt sick with envy. Mum hasn't had a jump on Rosie yet so think my chances of getting her round it in April are slim to none.

Another non riding weekend for me, although I dreamt I hopped on Rosie bareback and had a canter and it was wonderful. Just 22 weekends to go till due date. As the weather has warmed up I might have a spring clean of my tack and stable - thrilling!