Laura Collett and Noble Bestman

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
No longer based at the Walkers and guessing it was to dissolve the partnership.

Replay

Visit site
On Laura's Facebook page it says this: "When are riders going to realise its not ok to ask someone else's owners to buy them horses..... Go and find your own owners and stop trying to steal other peoples!"

Dusty85

Visit site
I kinda get where she's coming from, but at the same time, its not like owners are 'bound' to certain riders- look at NH racing- owners will have horses with different trainers!

glamourpuss

Visit site
On Laura's Facebook page it says this: "When are riders going to realise its not ok to ask someone else's owners to buy them horses..... Go and find your own owners and stop trying to steal other peoples!"

Hmmmmm as Dusty85 says owners aren't bound to riders & can move horses & support around as they see fit.
Whilst I do feel for Laura losing one of her top horses at the end of a difficult year I'm sure if a new owner came to her bringing horses from another rider she wouldn't be saying no.

I hope she gets Rayef back to full fitness & picks herself back up in 2014.

TarrSteps

Visit site

Owners are grownups and can make their own decisions about how and where they spend their money. Frankly if I were someone successful enough to be in a position to buy a horse for a rider I might be a bit offended at the implication I don't know my own mind! I know horses isn't Tesco's vs Sainsbury's but, considering the amounts of money involved, it is, at the end of the day, a business.

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Maybe the owners have decided to retire him so have asked laura to give up her share? He's had a broken leg that probably cost thousands to fix and he's not that young if I remember rightly

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
In SJ Scott Brash and Tina Fletcher have the same main owners. As do AN and OT in eventing.

However unpleasant, it's just business. You just have to shrug it off and concentrate on your own business.

Rosiefan

Visit site

What a strange thing to say. Owners don't 'belong' to riders - if anything, it's the other way round. He who pays the piper calls the tune!

popsdosh

Visit site
I think the words kettle and black spring to mind!!!
When are riders going to stop treating owners like mushrooms!!! (if you need an explanation PM )

silu

Visit site
Quite. A very unprofessional thing to be doing LC

LC of course is still young...ish! but about time she grew up and indeed acted professionally. Continually putting up blogs about being hung over and rubbishing certain events/doesn't want to go when there are 1000s of little children out there who will probably never be able to afford to even sit on a pony is a bit rich. It's a business I presume she's running then act like a business woman not a spoilt Pony Club brat. No green cheese from me as no longer compete out of choice.

Daffodil

Visit site
I'd never really followed Laura until she took on Kauto, but since then I've followed her career quite closely and was horrified by her accident. I have to say however she does need now to grow up, stop constantly putting up tweets about wine, hang-overs and some questionable photographs and start behaving like a professional rider running a business. She has hardly mentioned Kauto recently (although I know ATR has produced a lovely film about him) and she needs to remember that taking him on rocketed her profile. The sudden move from Membury was odd, and she needs to pull herself together for the future. This year has been absolutely horrid for her, and she's lucky to be alive (which may account for some of the wilder things she appears to get up to). I'm very sorry she's lost the ride on NB but with the move from Membury it was probably inevitable.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'd never really followed Laura until she took on Kauto, but since then I've followed her career quite closely and was horrified by her accident. I have to say however she does need now to grow up, stop constantly putting up tweets about wine, hang-overs and some questionable photographs and start behaving like a professional rider running a business. She has hardly mentioned Kauto recently (although I know ATR has produced a lovely film about him) and she needs to remember that taking him on rocketed her profile. The sudden move from Membury was odd, and she needs to pull herself together for the future. This year has been absolutely horrid for her, and she's lucky to be alive (which may account for some of the wilder things she appears to get up to). I'm very sorry she's lost the ride on NB but with the move from Membury it was probably inevitable.

Woah! Stop tweeting about wine & hangovers?.....the girl is a young event rider not a bloody nun!! She is having a bit of fun. It doesnt seem to have effected her results this year.
Whilst I don't agree with the FB comments & a couple of comments made grumbling about the NHS after her accident (grrrrrr), on the whole I think her Twitter feed is interesting & she comes across as a hardworking rider!
It may have also escaped your attention but it is out of season & in the run up to Christmas.....eventers are allowed down time too! [sheeeeeeeeesh]

Eventer512

New User
Visit site
I follow Laura on Twitter and as an amateur event rider who works a full time job and tries to event I am in awe of her. However she comes across like a spoilt brat. She seems to expect everything her own way, we all go through tough times in our lives it's the nature of life. Equestrian sports is elitist and unless you are super rich and if you are talented and lucky enough to have wealthy owners like Laura has had have they right to have horses with however they like without you insulting their intelligence. Also we all have horses that break! When our horses break it's the only horse we have. I wish she could see how lucky she has been. Her crap year would be someone else's triumph over adversity. She has also won a lot more this year than most people do in a life time. I'm sure there are budding talented young event riders who would give their right arm to be in her position. Perspective needed for sure. Wish her all the best for 2014 she is undeniably talented but hope she can come across a little more professional. Sadly although people are allowed down time public figures and role models have to be careful. It's the inevitable down side of being in that position.

silu

Visit site
Woah! Stop tweeting about wine & hangovers?.....the girl is a young event rider not a bloody nun!! She is having a bit of fun. It doesnt seem to have effected her results this year.
Whilst I don't agree with the FB comments & a couple of comments made grumbling about the NHS after her accident (grrrrrr), on the whole I think her Twitter feed is interesting & she comes across as a hardworking rider!
It may have also escaped your attention but it is out of season & in the run up to Christmas.....eventers are allowed down time too! [sheeeeeeeeesh]
Sorry but many many of the comments about drink and hangovers were made while AT events!

TarrSteps

Visit site

I don't think the poster said she shouldn't have a good time, more questioned the professionalism of discussing it publicly in a business where, effectively, the readers are paying the bills. Social media for people with a public profile is all about image control and we have to assume, in this day and age, that people know what they're putting out there.

Knowing someone is 'fun' might not bother you as an owner willing to donate 5 figures to the cause, it might even attract you. But it will put other people - some of them the professional sorts that have extra money for event horses - off. Fair enough. But being a professional is not just about riding horses.

almostthere

Visit site
I don't think the poster said she shouldn't have a good time, more questioned the professionalism of discussing it publicly in a business where, effectively, the readers are paying the bills. Social media for people with a public profile is all about image control and we have to assume, in this day and age, that people know what they're putting out there.

Knowing someone is 'fun' might not bother you as an owner willing to donate 5 figures to the cause, it might even attract you. But it will put other people - some of them the professional sorts that have extra money for event horses - off. Fair enough. But being a professional is not just about riding horses.

Speaking as a small scale "owner" - TS as always you speak a lot of sense. :) I have observed and experienced wildly differing standards of so -called professionalism and, FWIW, I am not sure youth is a defining driver - in my (limited) experience the youngest rider was also the most professional!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Speaking as a small scale "owner" - TS as always you speak a lot of sense. :) I have observed and experienced wildly differing standards of so -called professionalism and, FWIW, I am not sure youth is a defining driver - in my (limited) experience the youngest rider was also the most professional!

I think a lot of it is down to personality and training, along with having a good support system.

Social media is so interesting for this. I know the argument is that whatever riders do on their own time is their own businesses but there is a difference between doing and publishing. Who does what is fairly well known but I think it's fair enough for owners to be concerned about both the public face of their investment and what goes on behind the scenes. Lots of people are very good at keeping their private and professional lives separate, others less so. It's no different than any other employment situation - your boss doesn't care if you get off your face every weekend but might not be so understanding if you put it out over fb that you're hung over at work!

Pigeon

Visit site
I have noticed that riders post more personal things (moans, not-very-subtle digs etc) on their 'professional' facebook page more than any other business or sportsperson. Maybe good riders are sensitive types? :p

Hurricanelady

Visit site
Unless I'm going blind, there are no comments on Laura's facebook page at all about owners and riders. The last post on that page by the page owner (Laura Collett Eventing) was this "Having had my worst year I'm chuffed to be 39th in the British Eventing Rider rankings... Fingers crossed 2014 will be more successful!" made on the 1 November, and the one before that was made 29 October simply about Noble Bestman having his cast off and stitches out.

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I think it's more the Twitter page.
I am in two minds about this. I agree it's unprofessional for her and her groom to put too much out in the public domain, especially retweeting all the comments from the general public who are saying how unfair it is etc. The only people who know whether the whole thing was unfair or not is LC and her owners and really no matter how sore she is about it - retweeting the very strongly worded comments is basically saying she agrees with them.

On the other hand she is only 25 - the partying tweets generally don't seem too bad. I didn't really get the impression she was getting hammered the nights before competitions and in fairness, I think most people would have heard about the legendary partying of the likes of Toddy etc, so play hard, work hard eventers are nothing new and she certainly does seem to work hard.

In comparison - I followed Phoebe Buckley for a while, but I had to unfollow her - if ever there was a person who needed to step away from the phone/computer it was her. Totally changed my perception of her (and not for the good unfortunately :().

noname

Visit site
Unless I'm going blind, there are no comments on Laura's facebook page at all about owners and riders. The last post on that page by the page owner (Laura Collett Eventing) was this "Having had my worst year I'm chuffed to be 39th in the British Eventing Rider rankings... Fingers crossed 2014 will be more successful!" made on the 1 November, and the one before that was made 29 October simply about Noble Bestman having his cast off and stitches out.

On her personal page,"Laura Collett".

I know how she feels about riders trying to steal your horses and it is annoying.
I find it ironic though, given one of the cases I've experienced was Laura Colletts head girl, when she was trying to be a "professional rider".

Swings and roundabouts.

If you have a horse that is doing well people do try and poach them. If your owner is supportive it can really be quite funny. I had a big laugh when they did it to me. Some ridiculous pitches, letters and phone calls sent to the owner. Caused us much amusement. I don't have time to ride for other people now but its expected if your doing well and you just need to take it as a compliment. If your horse is a devil, people are less interested.

TarrSteps

Visit site
LC has a page of her own as well. All she really needs to do is change her privacy settings and/or not discuss business on it.

I really don't think owners care what people do in their spare time, any more than any other employer/business partner. But they ARE employers/partners and so public, uncomplimentary comments are going to raise eyebrows.

Hurricanelady

Visit site
LC has a page of her own as well. All she really needs to do is change her privacy settings and/or not discuss business on it.

I really don't think owners care what people do in their spare time, any more than any other employer/business partner. But they ARE employers/partners and so public, uncomplimentary comments are going to raise eyebrows.

Ah sorry I was going to say I had only seen the contents of the "official" page, I couldn't see a personal page on FB but I agree with you, definitely.