Laura Collett and Noble Bestman

Eventer512

New User
Visit site
Shame she can't see how lucky she is.
Must be sad to lose a ride like that Allora though but she is talented enough and I'm sure she'll produce another. Noticed Allora was for sale on Uptown Eventing. Guess Mr Walker wants a return for all he has put in. She must be worth a huge amount! Surely Laura will receive a pretty awesome commission! That would be a boost for her then.

oldvic

Visit site
Shame she can't see how lucky she is.
Must be sad to lose a ride like that Allora though but she is talented enough and I'm sure she'll produce another. Noticed Allora was for sale on Uptown Eventing. Guess Mr Walker wants a return for all he has put in. She must be worth a huge amount! Surely Laura will receive a pretty awesome commission! That would be a boost for her then.

I wouldn't have thought she is likely to get commission. I doubt there was a contract to factor that in and Philip Walker has spent an awful lot as a benefactor to Laura. Also, if the horse is no longer in her yard then she is not selling her for him. Yes she has put value on the mare but that was her job.

glamourpuss

Visit site
If this is a stupid question I apologise but if Noble Bestman is never going to event again then why all the vitriol about losing the ride and someone trying to take the ride? It happens even to the best but if the owners are happy with how they are treated and how their horse is being ridden then there is no problem. When you are in someone else's yard then you have to play by their rules, like it or not.
I don't think anybody is bothered whether Laura has any days off or not but to say she doesn't is not true - she has put on twitter that she has gone to London for the weekend.

Personall I don't think it was Noble Bestman that it was all about, it was just the timing of the status led us to think that was him that someone was trying to poach.

Bestdogdash

Visit site
The only comment LC should have made, if she is the professional she should be, would be to Thank the Walkers for their support over the years and to wish them well. Regardless of the reasons they have gone separate ways. If she had only had NB one month she should have counted herself a very lucky girl.

I own two international standard eventers who are with one of the countries top riders. It's is exceptionally expensive, and I could just as easily bring them home and have the two best hunters on the planet, and enjoy them myself. I event them this way because I enjoy it. My rider is not only an awesome rider, but is also professional, respectful, knowledgeable and great fun. That's how you get to the top - you have to be all of those things. I have changed riders in the past, with other horses, and with one of these two, for many reasons which meant I wasn't happy, but, frankly, as my bills were always paid immediately, everything was upto date, and therefore the contracts ran on a monthly basis, I was well within my rights to do so. My horse, my choice, my control and none of my previous riders ever felt the need to even hint about how they felt losing their rides via any medium at all. I respect that professionalism and have sent one a youngest I just bought from Ireland. LC has done herself NO favours at all? In my circle of similar owning friends, nobody I know would send a horse to her now. Why would we ? If she has a sulk, we get dragged into the public eye ? There are, as an earlier post has pointed out, plenty of other young equally talented riders available. Her mistake has been to either make or allow others to make, this issue about her, - in effect biting the hand that feeds her. Very very silly.

Last edited:

TarrSteps

Visit site
^ that says it all! really. Straight from the horse's mouth.

I actually don't think the parallel with "celebrities" is valid though. Actors, television personalities, singers etc are very much supported by their fans and they have to behave in ways that appeal to their fan base. They may have contracts with actual employers but since their job is to sell, if they do that they are unlikely to get into trouble with them unless they do something really dramatic. Even if they do, there's no such thing as bad publicity and people routinely rise from the ashes to sell more tickets, helm another movie, have another tv show or otherwise continue to do business. They have to stay within their image, yes, but especially for younger or edgier stars that encompasses a lot of latitude!

Being a rider is very different. Fans do not pay the bills in eventing, owners do. Unless the rider is spectacularly wealthy and can fund their whole string, they need to stay on the right side of the people who have the money. Yes, some people have syndicates but even there, their target market is going to be well off, probably well into adulthood people who love the sport and invest because they enjoy seeing their horses go. They expect to be treated with the respect they deserve for pouring money into the sport with little hope of any renumeration. They certainly don't have to deal with drama. Yes, people can be very understanding if the horses are winning but they are doing this for fun, don't forget, and to be involved in the sport at a deeper level.

Even sponsors are very aware of who their market is and how they want to portray their image through the people they associate with. The market for horse good is mostly patents and people who are old enough to have good jobs and disposable income. Again, very sensitive to any behaviour their perceive as ungrateful or unprofessional.

Appealing to the "fans" won't get you very far. Unless the fans are going to buy you a horse.

That might not be what people want to hear but it is the reality as it works today.

TheMule

Visit site
I had a nasty experience with her several years ago when she acted anything but professionally. It left me in a very difficult position which eventually went to small courts because of her allegations.

silu

Visit site
Just a thought but people who have a problem with her, have u had any dealings with her or is it how she comes across to u?

Admittedly it was a few years back but to have the audacity to "rubbish" a 3 day event and then promptly go and win 1 of the sections does somewhat stick in the mind! Bet she hasn't spent weeks and weeks painting fences at BE courses.....I have.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Just a thought but people who have a problem with her, have u had any dealings with her or is it how she comes across to u?

Does it matter? We are just discussing reputation and social media presence. If you're in business everything you do is advertising and people assume the image you put out there is the one you want people to see.

almostthere

Visit site
The only comment LC should have made, if she is the professional she should be, would be to Thank the Walkers for their support over the years and to wish them well. Regardless of the reasons they have gone separate ways. If she had only had NB one month she should have counted herself a very lucky girl.

I own two international standard eventers who are with one of the countries top riders. It's is exceptionally expensive, and I could just as easily bring them home and have the two best hunters on the planet, and enjoy them myself. I event them this way because I enjoy it. My rider is not only an awesome rider, but is also professional, respectful, knowledgeable and great fun. That's how you get to the top - you have to be all of those things. I have changed riders in the past, with other horses, and with one of these two, for many reasons which meant I wasn't happy, but, frankly, as my bills were always paid immediately, everything was upto date, and therefore the contracts ran on a monthly basis, I was well within my rights to do so. My horse, my choice, my control and none of my previous riders ever felt the need to even hint about how they felt losing their rides via any medium at all. I respect that professionalism and have sent one a youngest I just bought from Ireland. LC has done herself NO favours at all? In my circle of similar owning friends, nobody I know would send a horse to her now. Why would we ? If she has a sulk, we get dragged into the public eye ? There are, as an earlier post has pointed out, plenty of other young equally talented riders available. Her mistake has been to either make or allow others to make, this issue about her, - in effect biting the hand that feeds her. Very very silly.

Completely and utterly agree, as a much more small time owner I wholeheartedly endorse every single world. Sadly, I learned the hard way :(

TarrSteps

Visit site
That's it, isn't it? Owners are in it for the fun (within reason!) and the second it stops being fun, or at least a congenial experience, they're out.

People do have funny ideas about "sponsorship" in equestrian sports. I think they read too many stories about 21 year old millionaire footballers. ;) it's still largely run on the patronage of people with a bit of money who love horses and want to be involved in competition at a high level. No one is in it for the money or, for that matter, the drama. Of course the sport wants to attract interest as that helps participation, gate revenue and the occasional media deal. But it is essentially still a leisure activity and the second riders forget it's owners that keep the lights on and the horses in oats, they and the sport will - rightly - suffer.