AppleBon12

Visit site
I need to pick all of your lead rein expert brains please!

So the lead rein world is a new one for me - we have found two gorgeous little shetlands for full loan one is 13 and experienced off the lead rein and the other is 3 but used to be handled by children. They are gorgeous and they are 9.2hh (ridden) and around 9hh (not ridden). Both been two shows, travelled, excellent temperaments no vices.

Then we have just been offered a gorgeous 11hh Dartmoor hill pony that is currently used as a lead rein pony for 3 year old with special needs - excellent temperament too, more local to us and again no vices etc. he is only 5 and doesn't have any experience off the lead rein but has done lots of in hand and ground work since a foal.

Haven't got round to viewing either yet (due to being under weather :() but hoping to crack on this weekend. What would you all do? Both options are only full loan - permanent forever loans if we want them.

But I am torn - shetland would obviously suit now but our little boy is a BIG one year old - he's already in 18-24 month clothes despite just turning one.

be positive

Visit site
He may be big but he is only one so any riding will be very limited for some time, literally a sit on and walk around carefully being held until he is strong enough to manage more, the bigger pony may actually be the easier option from the holding on point of view it can be hard to hold child and pony on your own which needs to be tried when you view, the main priority has to be temperament, ease of care and handling, rather than taking a long term view at this stage, as your child may not even want to ride, look at the best option for the next 12 months.
Don't forget you will need company if you take on the hill pony and to check they can all go off for a walk on their own and that the companion will be happy to be left otherwise you will need 3!

AppleBon12

Visit site
He may be big but he is only one so any riding will be very limited for some time, literally a sit on and walk around carefully being held until he is strong enough to manage more, the bigger pony may actually be the easier option from the holding on point of view it can be hard to hold child and pony on your own which needs to be tried when you view, the main priority has to be temperament, ease of care and handling, rather than taking a long term view at this stage, as your child may not even want to ride, look at the best option for the next 12 months.
Don't forget you will need company if you take on the hill pony and to check they can all go off for a walk on their own and that the companion will be happy to be left otherwise you will need 3!

We’ve been loaning a little Shetland recently and yeah we’ve been plodding around for 10-15 minutes and then he’s ready to get off. If we do go for the Dartmoor we will of course be looking into a companion, I’ve pushed my limit to 2 I definitely won’t be allowed 3 haha! ?

it’s all very exciting! What would you suggest, obviously trying both out just seeing which is easier for us as a family?

be positive

Visit site
We’ve been loaning a little Shetland recently and yeah we’ve been plodding around for 10-15 minutes and then he’s ready to get off. If we do go for the Dartmoor we will of course be looking into a companion, I’ve pushed my limit to 2 I definitely won’t be allowed 3 haha! ?

it’s all very exciting! What would you suggest, obviously trying both out just seeing which is easier for us as a family?

Yes see which would work best for you, not for the owners who may try to convince you theirs is best.

Leandy

Visit site
Um, you do realise it is going to be years before your boy is "riding" don't you! If he is one he will be barely walking so I'm thinking the ponies are really for you not him!! On that basis, get whatever you want so long as it is happy to plod about reasonably amicably and be pampered and when he is at least 5 or more you will be in a better position to assess what is suitable when he is able to ride off the lead rein. It is all very exciting considering a pony for your children but, having been there and done that, I realise that actually they are not physically or mentally capable of much independent riding until 7 or 8 and that actually starting too early can be counterproductive in that there is a danger they get bored before they get interested. Just my perspective!

AppleBon12

Visit site
Um, you do realise it is going to be years before your boy is "riding" don't you! If he is one he will be barely walking so I'm thinking the ponies are really for you not him!! On that basis, get whatever you want so long as it is happy to plod about reasonably amicably and be pampered and when he is at least 5 or more you will be in a better position to assess what is suitable when he is able to ride off the lead rein. It is all very exciting considering a pony for your children but, having been there and done that, I realise that actually they are not physically or mentally capable of much independent riding until 7 or 8 and that actually starting too early can be counterproductive in that there is a danger they get bored before they get interested. Just my perspective!

Yes of course I do! If you have a look at my other posts I’ve mentioned about what we are doing at the moment plodding round the yard for 10-15 minutes and then he’s done. And that I am loving being back at the yard after being pregnant and having him.
Appreciate your response.

ozpoz

Visit site
You need a baby's pony, not a lead rein. Temperament, sweetness, narrow and low to the ground. Able to be dragged around, hugged round the hind limbs unexpectedly, good at walking and stopping games, playing at cowboys, and able to stand during picnics, and berry picking while remaining angelic generally. Babies will dismount at random and their attention span is very short.
A 3 year old pony can be all of these things, we discovered, and may even keep growing to fit his little person when they are seven! Grandchildren's angelic pony has now successfully trained 2 babies and is adored.