Lemieux matchy craze?!

scats

Visit site
I’ve got 4 Lemieux saddlecloths but I hate the fly veils, I find them small and tight on Millie, like they don’t fit her ears very well. They also fly off Polly and take the bridle aswell!
I buy cheap fly veils off eBay (they are about £8, far nicer and often have diamanté’s on them) and just match the colour to my saddlecloths.
Open to recommendations for saddlecloths that aren’t thick/padded and don’t have the close contact D ring loop. I like LeMieux but I think it’s very overpriced.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Harmless, but I just don't like the look of matchy.
But then my black Dales wears boring brown plain hunter bridle, brown saddle and a black pad. Very uninspired! However the pad is a Nuumed which imo has a far superior cut in terms of fit to any of the matchy stuff. The only colour we wear is the hi vis.

Ooh, love Dales. Long before matchy ever became a thing, I remember a young girl who had the most superb Dales pony. He wore a beautiful Spanish bridle and she put his mane in a Spanish plant threaded with fresh daisies. He looked stunning.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Definitely a craze at my yard, started by a new livery. She lets everyone borrow her stuff then they all get what she’s got. Bonkers. My horse has 3 saddlecloths!

mariew

Visit site
I am finding the older I get the less materialistic I get lol. For those saying it's harmless, it's not really, not to the environment anyway :) materials, labour, transport, packaging - it all adds up.

SaharaS

Visit site
Oh I am one of those people with many, many...many....matchy sets.
I like my horse to look smart, I like it and it does no harm. She wants for nothing, so in my eyes it's a slightly batty, harmless addiction.
If you need a spare horse(daughter?)..very happy to donate myself..currently in need of a new house with matching stables...and matchy matchy lack of no neighbours either side or anywhere near...once achieved will be happy to go back to slightly batty harmless addiction of Barbours...?

Lyle

Visit site
I used to find it a lot of fun, but am far too busy with too many horses to work to bother. Plain colours in my property colours for me now!

Have no problems with it, it's cute and if it helps people have a sense of pride, fun and enjoyment I'm all for it. Although, I do cringe when I see the underweight, lack lustre-coated horse with overdue feet being paraded in the latest $300 outfit. Thankfully, this is not often!

AUB

Visit site
I'm more of a classic traditional look myself and honestly, if they spent the money buying a decent fitting saddle that fits and regular physio and massages for there horses, i think they would be better off!

Im with you tiddlypom, its a rubbish quality brand and totally overpriced!

Why does matchy outfits equal bad saddlefitting?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
What if I told you that there are people out there with saddles that fit, healthy horses, and matchy sets? Madness!

So rude to assume (and more than one person has done this here) that people with these sets or "excess stuff" don't care for their horses otherwise or don't spend money on the health and the well being of the horse.

Again, while I'm not into bonnets and bandages, I have more pads than I need. However, my horse has all of his needs met and I would put those before buying a new pad ?

Sure, maybe there are some people out there that spend too much on matching sets and their money would be better spent on other things for the horse. But these people also exist without matching sets ?‍♀️

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I am finding the older I get the less materialistic I get lol. For those saying it's harmless, it's not really, not to the environment anyway :) materials, labour, transport, packaging - it all adds up.

I get this. I am drifting this way somewhat. However I am not so pretentious about it. I'm sure you have some indulgences that aren't "harmless" and if you really don't, I admire that.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I get this. I am drifting this way somewhat. However I am not so pretentious about it. I'm sure you have some indulgences that aren't "harmless" and if you really don't, I admire that.
See I've gone the other way. Up till about 5 years ago I had 2 or 3 numnahs. I'm fast heading for 50 and I now have eleveny hundred pretty saddlecloths which I love a bit too much. I suspect if there was a fire, I would save those first ??.
As previously mentioned, they are almost all ebay bargains, but when I was younger I couldn't have afforded them. I now have a better job and as I don't smoke, drink, wear nice clothes, have sky TV etc etc, then saddlecloths have become my indulgence. My saddle is checked twice yearly and tweaked if needed, physio every three months, and the horse absolutely doesn't go without.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm totally into matchy matchy; my horse an I never go anywhere without matching orange hi viz. If it's not hi viz it's brown. We are constantly complemented on our "look" - her orange ears with reflective stripes are a particular hit.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
I have what many would consider to be 'too many' saddlecloths (I don't do the ears or bandages but I am a sucker for a nice saddlecloth), but many of mine are bought in sales when they are last season's colour (I don't think my pony really cares about the latest colours!). He's a black blanket spot so looks good in anything! He has a well fitted saddle and wants for nothing. I see no harm in it at all - when I was a child I used to collect beanie babies which weren't needed but I enjoyed collecting them.

ihatework

Visit site
One of my friends got me a sign for Christmas that said ‘Did I Just Roll My Eyes Out Loud’

It’s pretty apt for this daft matchy craze.

But live and let live. As long as those people spending £££££ on matchy can still afford to spend money on stuff that matters - vets/feed/suitable livery/training when required then I don’t really care. It’s when the important stuff gets overlooked for the latest shade of turquoise that I start to bristle

welshpony216

Visit site
I always seem to get a saddle pad for Christmas and my b day, all kinds of bright colors, I always tell everyone 'I have enough! please no more! I could use a new roll of duct tape though! or maybe you could pay for the worming this month?' but still... I prefer to match if I can find a shirt that somewhat goes with it because it looks more organized, but I am not obsessive about it, and always put the horse first. I do know a few youtubers who are um very into Lemieux matchy matchy. If people can afford to buy expensive saddle pads and match everything, but not pay for vet expenses and saddle fitters among other things than :mad:. I wonder why we cant just go back to plain white or neutral color saddle pads, they go with everything.

QueenBella

Visit site
I used to have a few matchy sets when I first got back into horses a few years back. I've since sold them on as I just don't see the point in having loads of saddle pads when I can only ride one horse at a time and used the money to put towards a good quality proper fitting saddle. Also I was falling into a trap of wanting the newest ones when I seen other liveries on the yard having them. I decided to spend my money on pads that have a purpose rather than color and then one Equestrian Stockholm one for a pop of color.

oldie48

Visit site
Unfortunately there is people out there that who do ride in bad fitting saddle and than say they can’t afford a new saddle because they are constantly buying new matchy sets . Just to follow the the thread. I generally think in a 20 years time we will look back and cringe.
There's also lots of people with matchy sets that don't come into this category just as there are people who ride in the same filthy pad day after day. Goodness knows why people feel the need to link matchy matchy with horse abuse, it's really rather unjustified. If I'm still alive in 20 years I'm sure I will look back at pics of my horses (and me) in matching colours and think how nice we looked and I shan't be in the least bit bothered if others disagree.

shamrock2021

Visit site
There's also lots of people with matchy sets that don't come into this category just as there are people who ride in the same filthy pad day after day. Goodness knows why people feel the need to link matchy matchy with horse abuse, it's really rather unjustified. If I'm still alive in 20 years I'm sure I will look back at pics of my horses (and me) in matching colours and think how nice we looked and I shan't be in the least bit bothered if others disagree.
I didn’t say everyone and I have seen people do this in real life.

Last edited:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I confess that I do LOVE matchy matchy stuff, just pads snd ears...I don't use bandages. All my dogs etc are in matching collars/leads/coats etc. I have to have matching tack tack...no brown bridle and black saddle combinations lol...it's just a tic I have I guess but it literally makes me anxious if things aren't "right".
However, I do only have a few sets (not Le Mieux) because I can't afford to splash out very often.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I personally don't do matchy matchy. Black brushing boots, black or white saddle pad, but its not offensive and does no harm. My water buckets and feed bowls do match when I can but using a few old ones at the moment as horse is a bit destructive. The practical side of this is I can tell my OH Axl is green, Squiggs is yellow, Jamie is lime green etc. I do use LeMieux brushing boots and personally think they are good quality for the price

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Lol meow, I have never been called pretentious before.

Meow? Is there a cat in here? ?

Your post came off a bit pretentious, maybe you did not intend that.

I mean, your post had some valid points!

But how should we acquire new things? Or just exercise moderation?

mariew

Visit site

I am as bad as the rest, or at least used to be. I think moderation and second hand items is the way to go. And think twice whether you really need something. I very rarely buy new stuff now but scour FB marketplace and eBay for second hand items. It is so hard though as our whole society is based around buying things and a lot of us are conditioned into this.

If I buy new I try to buy stuff that will break down in years to come. So natural materials as much as I can, and local if possible. Easier said than done though and I fall down traps on a regular basis and feel guilty at the same time.

HashRouge

Visit site

I didn't think she was pretentious at all. I did think you were a bit rude though ?

Ultimately, most of the time we buy new stuff because we want it, not because we need it. We should all be making an effort to buy less and to get more use out of the things we do have. Buying good quality second hand items also helps.

I've been trying really hard to do this since January 2019. I set myself the New Year's resolution of buying no new clothes (apart from socks and underwear) for one year. I didn't quite achieve it - I caved in the December and bought a gorgeous maxi dress. But it has dramatically changed my shopping habits. I only bought one "new" item of clothing in 2020 too - and I can't see that I will ever change back to just buying new stuff whenever. I still buy a lot though - I just get it all from charity shops and ebay. I like clothes and I still think I look nice - my students tell me I'm stylish anyway and that's quite a compliment from teenagers!

This isn't intended to sound smug BTW. I don't feel smug about my own shopping habits because I still panic about how much waste and materialism there is. If you really need regular new match match sets, why not try buying second hand? There is SO much of it out there. Within a week of deciding to get my sister some for Christmas I'd got a saddle cloth and bandages in plum, in really good condition. One from ebay, one from Facebook.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now...

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I didn't think she was pretentious at all. I did think you were a bit rude though ?

Ultimately, most of the time we buy new stuff because we want it, not because we need it. We should all be making an effort to buy less and to get more use out of the things we do have. Buying good quality second hand items also helps.

I've been trying really hard to do this since January 2019. I set myself the New Year's resolution of buying no new clothes (apart from socks and underwear) for one year. I didn't quite achieve it - I caved in the December and bought a gorgeous maxi dress. But it has dramatically changed my shopping habits. I only bought one "new" item of clothing in 2020 too - and I can't see that I will ever change back to just buying new stuff whenever. I still buy a lot though - I just get it all from charity shops and ebay. I like clothes and I still think I look nice - my students tell me I'm stylish anyway and that's quite a compliment from teenagers!

This isn't intended to sound smug BTW. I don't feel smug about my own shopping habits because I still panic about how much waste and materialism there is. If you really need regular new match match sets, why not try buying second hand? There is SO much of it out there. Within a week of deciding to get my sister some for Christmas I'd got a saddle cloth and bandages in plum, in really good condition. One from ebay, one from Facebook.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Rude? OK. I literally said how I felt the post came off and further explained perhaps it wasn't meant that way and I misunderstood because the poster had some valid points. But if that's rude to you, then fair enough. There's definitely a strong "polite" culture on this board that isn't a thing where I live ? and I just slip sometimes.

I think, based off of what I see on Facebook, a lot of people do buy second hand. Myself included. I have quite a few second hand pads, blankets, and other tack. The only issue I have is that I've bought things that weren't as they appeared in photos and description, so it is a risk, and I have lost money. So I am really skeptical and careful. That, to me, is the main drawback of buying second hand online. In person, not such an issue. I wouldn't assume that people aren't buying a lot second hand.

The problem is mainly when "new colors" come out and people have to have them. I don't really get this impulse and haven't been interested in any new LeMieux colors, for example. I did treat myself to a new Equestrian Stockholm pad a while back *gasps* because sometimes it is nice to have something new and unused. Often people don't take care of their things and try try resell for a hefty price. I like to buy something new once in awhile and really care for it, to make it last.

I just can't bring myself to look down upon those that buy new. I think some people definitely (myself included) buy more that what they need. I don't care if it is rude, but there is a certain "air of judgey" at times. There is. Perhaps it is not intentional, and it is somewhat human nature. People have their "guilty pleasures" and I do think we could all live in a more sustainable way.

It's hard because I know it comes at a cost, but it is difficult for some to find joy during this "interesting" time. If a few matchy sets cheer them up, then who am I to judge. Perhaps they should find something else to bring them cheer, but you see how we can get wrapped up in this never ending loop of "what is best" and "what people should do" and so on. I feel like no matter what I do, there is always someone out there that will tell me it's shit. Especially on the internet ?

But, I do personally find your points about second hand and being more conscious important. As I previously said, I've moved more toward this as well. I think more when I buy too.

mariew

Visit site
Lol I thought the ride but was towards me. Just shows you how easy it is to write something that people misread. I am scandi so I quite like straight talking which was maybe my fault. Apologies :)

The having to have the latest colour in a set is an odd human behaviour one. I see it repeated everywhere. I have seen it around kids, where demand for the latest pattern of a particular brand of clothing gets scrabbled over like your life depended on it. It was a thing in fabric nappies for a while, where people would pay many times the asking price for a limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of psychology name for it.

Littlewills

Visit site
There is quite a judgey tone to this thread tbh. I did state earlier than I buy second hand. Everything from rugs to saddle cloths, mine own clothes and I'm currently doing up my house using free or cheap second hand things.

But the judging seems to be mainly about having more than one saddle pad. I have absolutely no shame in that, My horse is fit, well and looks lovely in her matchy. I look like a tramp. Its not anyone business but mine. And my horses saddle most definitely does fit and she wants for nothing. The matchy is just something I like to have for her. Its a reflection of the care I take of her in my eyes.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Lol I thought the ride but was towards me. Just shows you how easy it is to write something that people misread. I am scandi so I quite like straight talking which was maybe my fault. Apologies :)

The having to have the latest colour in a set is an odd human behaviour one. I see it repeated everywhere. I have seen it around kids, where demand for the latest pattern of a particular brand of clothing gets scrabbled over like your life depended on it. It was a thing in fabric nappies for a while, where people would pay many times the asking price for a limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of psychology name for it.

Really? Nappies? Wouldn't guess that one ?

There are some colors that fetch a higher price tag. LeMieux Blueberry for example. Discontinued now, so all is second hand. I don't like colors because they are new to a collection, I like the color for the color...if that makes sense. If you stick "Limited Edition" in front of something, it definitely sets people off. I am certain there is some sort of name/psychology for it.

But on a straight talking note: there is indeed a difference between the German FB groups/pages/what have you and UK ones that I frequent. Or just in day to day stuff in general. I find it interesting, but I often have have "soften my edges" when speaking to those from the UK or also US. You'd think "rude is rude" but nope. If only it were so simple. And hey, I'm not everyone's flavor so it is what it is ?