Letting your horse gallop

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Do you let your horse 'go' from time to time?

Don't get me wrong mine will canter around a field or even walk if its to wet, but if the grounds good i'll have a canter and let them go for a good gallop on a loose rein then bring them back. Its good for fitness and they love opening up. We have a nice steady hill which makes a nice canter and then a gallop up the side followed by walking the fields to cool off, specially when i'm trying to get their fitness up.

I'm surprised how many friends don't or have never (ever) let their horse gallop properly. A friend said its to dangerous for their legs and they like being in control all the time and don't want their horse to hurt themselves, she said when they 'go' the horse is just running with no control.

Never thought of it like that.. I suppose moving at fast speed is dangerous, but then again doesn't jumping have a dangerous side like everything these days.

These riders event so I was more surprised!

Mule

Visit site
Mine loves to gallop. He's descended from Northern Dancer so mabey it's in his blood. Once I'm able to pull up, I love a good gallop.
I used to have access to a nearby gallops, Ive noticed a big difference in his fitnesss now I no longer do.

SpringArising

Visit site
I do, though some of those times haven't been totally voluntary! Mine is a pretty quick boy so when the ground is good it's great fun, but he's only young so I don't do it often; I don't want him thinking any time we go out he's going to blast around!

ihatework

Visit site
I’m a bit windy so, although I love a good gallop, I like to do it in a controlled environment!!! So I generally go to allweather gallops where you know you have a hill, space to stop, good footing etc. Also you can trot it first to flush out any pheasant / deer!

Current horse hasn’t quite mastered gallop yet despite my best efforts.

My dressage mare was quite unconventional - she went like sh*t off a shovel and needed to have a good blast quite regularly. I found approx 5 days before competing was about right for her.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
No, although I do use a canter track every now and again, and let them choose their own pace which usually consists of a lobby canter. We aren't racehorses, we don't need to go fast, and we don't like to go on the forehand.

Palindrome

Visit site
Yes, we used to have a good gallop up a field every week with my late mare, she was very weak when I got her and this helped to strengthen her topline, we both enjoyed it too and I think it helped regulate her blood sugar as she was barefoot and had a tendency to get footy if no fast work.

My new horse hasn't galloped yet, we have canter in the school and racing trot hacking out if I push him a bit. I am looking forward to his first gallop but not wanting to push him for now as he his only 3 (will be 4 in February), I bought him out of trotting/sulky races training this Summer as he failed to make the time.

HashRouge

Visit site
My Arab loved a good gallop before she was retired! She was super speedy too, so never needed any encouragement. We didn't have loads of places that were suitable for a gallop though, so it was usually either the old railway line, which had a good surface, or what we called the "gallop field". Otherwise we would canter. She was always beside herself with excitement on the way to the gallop field - my sister nearly had a heart attack the first time she took her as she didn't realise how fast she was!

Now I'm slightly limited. There are a couple of places locally that are great for a gallop (good surface/ length etc) but my share horse really isn't fit enough. He's quite lazy too - I'm not sure he knows what a gallop is! My old share horse liked a run, but it was always more of a fast canter.

No, although I do use a canter track every now and again, and let them choose their own pace which usually consists of a lobby canter. We aren't racehorses, we don't need to go fast, and we don't like to go on the forehand.

For some reason the use of "we" in this post really made me giggle. I think it was the image of Cortez herself going along on the forehand :p

JFTDWS

Visit site
I let the highlands gallop on a loose rein - they don't go that fast, even at full speed, and they don't need a contact to keep them in check. I've not found the mare's top speed yet - haven't had a good opportunity with ground etc - but she's definitely allowed to push on a bit as appropriate.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not since my now retired oldie did a leg on the gallops 🙄
They get free time in the field if they want to let rip ;)

teddypops

Visit site
I gallop on most of my hacks. My ponies love it! My 27yo especially loves to go for a blast. The only time it was dangerous (so far😳) was when my hackamore broke and my pony continued out of the wood and along the road full pelt with no bridle on. Did not think we would live to tell the tale.

FDLady

Visit site
Yes - If the grounds good... and more importantly IF i know i can stop :eek:. Sad thing about the fens is the lack of a good long stretch without a ditch thrown in so you have to pick your moments and know the terrain. Saying that FDL is feeling awfully fresh at the moment so we'll stick to our bouncy deer-imitation canters ;)

Mule

Visit site
I gallop on most of my hacks. My ponies love it! My 27yo especially loves to go for a blast. The only time it was dangerous (so far😳) was when my hackamore broke and my pony continued out of the wood and along the road full pelt with no bridle on. Did not think we would live to tell the tale.
😱 Not good

NinjaPony

Visit site
I'm a bit of a wuss so usually it's just a fast canter. My boy knows if I sit to the canter he needs to keep it slow and steady, if I stand up off his back he can go faster.

The main criteria is I have to be in control. I need to know I can stop safely and that he is listening to me, before I go for a faster canter. Luckily for me, he is pretty good about that.

For example, today we went around the big field in walk, then went round the bottom field, I asked for a canter and got up off his back so he had a decent leg stretch, but when I asked him to come back he came back politely and quickly. I doubt I would ever go for a proper gallop- I worry too much, plus he's getting on a bit.

I also try not to do it too often, or in the same places, as I don't want him to get into the habit of zooming off. As I said,I over think.

SEL

Visit site
Used to let my little Ardennes have a gallop when he was rideable. Good turn of speed over a (very) short distance. Ground had to be a bit soft though so we'd end up splattered in mud.

Appy has a stuffed leg so it's all supposed to be more sedate. Plus she broncs

DressageCob

Visit site
I like a good gallop but I don't do it often. There's a local farm ride which I hack to but the ground is often a bit too soft or I have riding school clients behind me and I won't risk the school horses' legs. But when the ground is right and I go with my friend I'm a bit more relaxed about it.

I've also been for a good gallop on the beach with the little cob a few times. It's fabulous.

Mule

Visit site
I like a good gallop but I don't do it often. There's a local farm ride which I hack to but the ground is often a bit too soft or I have riding school clients behind me and I won't risk the school horses' legs. But when the ground is right and I go with my friend I'm a bit more relaxed about it.

I've also been for a good gallop on the beach with the little cob a few times. It's fabulous.
I love a gallop on the beach. Years ago I brought the Irish draught (strong stocky type) and had a great time. She loved it.
I brought the speed demon sport horse a couple of years ago and expected that he'd have a great time. He spent the entire time spooking at the waves🙄 🌊〰️🌊

Surbie

Visit site
I haven't found gallop gear yet, despite a trip out to the all-weather gallops. :( Hopefully we are both fitter now and could have a go in January if it's mild. He has no stamina yet so I have zero fears about not being able to pull him up.

I think I'd have the same experience at the beach as you and your speed demon Mule. :)

rara007

Visit site
The ponies when they were in work regularly (most hacks or field schooling sessions). I haven't felt the need with the horse yet, he's naturally pretty similar to a TB and isn't going to forget how to in a hurry! I'm no work rider and the only places we have to gallop with decent ground from home are straight out onto roads and we have no company. I have no doubt soon we will but his canter covers more than enough ground for now.

conniegirl

Visit site
I have show horses / ponies, they need to know how to gallop, so yes we regularly go for a good old pipe opener! nothing better IMO.
Got to have decent ground and be fairly sure of my brakes first though.
I haven't found gallop gear yet, despite a trip out to the all-weather gallops. :( Hopefully we are both fitter now and could have a go in January if it's mild. He has no stamina yet so I have zero fears about not being able to pull him up.

I think I'd have the same experience at the beach as you and your speed demon Mule. :)
Take him on the gallops with a horse who does have a good gallop.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've had a few good gallops on Granny Horse on the beach. She loved it. Not the fastest but ten out of ten for effort. I'm not sure The Beast has a gallop, even being a daft moo in the field it always looks like a canter to me. I did get out if the saddle up a couple of stubble fields this summer but it was definitely not a free gallop... more like an extended canter... then she locked into the hedgerow like some ancestral memory (not to my knowledge an actual memory but who knows) of going hunting had kicked in and I lost my nerve and pulled up. I was quite impressed given that 2 years ago I found her scary to trot. 😂

SEL

Visit site
You need to find someone with an ex-racer. Even if they weren't any good at bringing home the prizes they still know how to shift on the gallops and it'll give you something to follow :)

CJoe

Visit site
hell yeah!!! only on decent turf or surface though......my chap is not "built for speed" although he loves a good blast!

nikkimariet

Visit site
They don't *need* to go flat out if it's not beneficial to their workload? Nova I've never seen get out a 3 beat extended canter lol. Fig is ace at galloping and I used to take him to the tracks for a blast but with his problems this year I won't be, as he means more to me than letting off steam.

Nova could do with a long forward blast to get his blood and fitness up but I won't be looking to flat out gallop him, no need.