Letting your horse gallop

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't go flat out mine find it highly exciting out hacking, they do ridden showing so they are fine with a quick gallop up the long side that doesn't have the same effect as a hack gallop.

One of mine has done a suspensory in the past so I don't want him galloped about, and the other has slight navicular so don't want him doing it either I would rather play it safe and have sound horses.

Pippity

Visit site
There's nowhere hackable that you can gallop near me, and I don't have transport yet. Also, she's so unfit that even a few minutes of trot leaves her out of puff. The most I've seen from her in the field is a couple of strides of canter before rolling in the mud became far more important.

However, I'm hoping to take her showing (eventually) so she'll have to be able to gallop at least a little!

Snowfilly

Visit site
My old boy loved to gallop and there was nothing better than the distinct shift in his movement when he lowered his body, stretched his neck and really accelerated. I used to gallop him on a loose rein, he'd pull up to voice commands so I was better off leaving his head alone entirely.

I don't think the clydesdale possesses a gallop, even playing in the field it's a steady canter.

Back when I used to show and jump, we did gallop in the field fairly often, normally for a given number of strides. It really helped with speed for jump offs, and the extension for showing.

I miss galloping desperately and would love to have another young fit riding horse!

only_me

Visit site
Yep, but preferably only a 3/4 gallop on the actual gallops! Billy has an awesome gallop, super quick and glides up the gears if asked 😄
But I have the luxury of having a horse that i can fast canter in the field on a loose contact and ride purely through seat. Magic 😊

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
God yes, love it. The Dab man is ace - even on the woodland tracks with low hanging branches I can just flatten myself on his neck and let him fly, and he stops on a whoa these days 😁

Bernster

Visit site
Not often. We canter hacking but only when the ground is good etc which feels like it’s not often. But we do have a good ole blast our drag hunting which is so much fun. He always feels fab the week after a hunt so I think he likes it too. Sadly only been able to get out twice so far this year. My mare had the most amazing gallop, that was fun too, but I don’t ride her anymore 🙁

SOS

Visit site
Don’t gallop mine often at home as no suitable ground, despite plenty of grass fields, and there is no need, as they only low level event and lightly hunt. Most of our faster fitness work is extended periods of canter. Get a good blast hunting obviously but even then rarely let them go flat out, too much increased risk of a stumble/misstep/strain IMO. May go to the gallops abit early next year but again most will be fitness canter work and the odd faster spurt.

It scares me seeing those videos of horses gallop flat out on uneven ground on the forehand!

danda

Visit site
My ex racer had quite a few wins and I only let him galop on a training track as once he was off there was no way of stopping him, he was the same when racing.

spookypony

Visit site
My mare chooses awkward times to offer a gallop, such as going downhill in the snow, so I tend not to let her. I am a bit of a chicken. I've seen just how fast she can shift in the field, and am determined I'll let her have a proper go this winter, now that she is fitter. However, our hacking is mostly very hilly and stony, so it's hard to find a good long stretch.

windand rain

Visit site
A beach is the perfect place for a gallop you can walk it first to find any soft spots then just go. you can see hoof prints so know if you are off line. My old girl loves to race she may be short fat and hairy but she cant half shift

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
We've got the luxury of an actual surfaced gallop at our yard, its such a steep pull on the first bend though he's back to a lovely steady canter by the top so no issues stopping! Its the only place locally we can actually have a stretch now. On a previous yard we had access to a few fields which we called 'the gallops' we were allowed to used but it tended to get a bit out of hand depending on your hacking company lol! So yes, I love a gallop as long as its the right time & place, plus I know I have brakes!

skint1

Visit site
I am a bit of a wimp, I worry about holes or stones or not being able to stop so if I do gallop I do it only with people I know have good control on ground we know well and I like a bit of a slope - I wondered if I might feel better about it all if I went to an actual gallop track where I know the ground is good and meant for that kind of activity.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I wondered if I might feel better about it all if I went to an actual gallop track where I know the ground is good and meant for that kind of activity.

It makes such a huge huge difference, if you can get to one I'd recommend it! You can just look up & concentrate on you balance & speed etc. I know what you mean though, anywhere else I'm constantly scanning for dips in the ground, holes etc! Its only from using the actual gallops I've realised how much I worried in an open field.

skint1

Visit site
It makes such a huge huge difference, if you can get to one I'd recommend it! You can just look up & concentrate on you balance & speed etc. I know what you mean though, anywhere else I'm constantly scanning for dips in the ground, holes etc! Its only from using the actual gallops I've realised how much I worried in an open field.

Thanks! Another for the 2019 list of things to aim for!

PoniesRock

Visit site
Both of mine love a good blow out, one of mine hunts so she has a good few ‘pipe opener’ sessions to get the fitness up. I have to confess the Pelham goes in for fast work days! My other pony very much has a need for speed. She’s very polite tho, never goes faster than I say she can, but my god she can shift through the gears but she comes straight back with a squeeze on the reins.

Both of mine love having a blow out, I think it’s good for them, almost as good for them as it is me!

Lammy

Visit site
My old mare used to hunt and she’s welsh so handy on her feet too which helps. We have lots of good bridleways near us with the space to go for a good blast. Our favourite has a long flat line before climbing up a steady slope which is perfect as she’s ready to stop at the top. No holes but plenty of dips which she finds fun to fly over at full pelt...there’s nothing quite as fun as that :D

I know it’s time to take her for a blast when we can’t canter in the school without first trying to do it at breakneck speed. A good gallop the next day soon sorts that out, the old girl loves it! Though I’m sure I’ll be a lot more cautious on the bambi-like young horse.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i'd agree with this, unfortunately nothing is guaranteed and my oldie did a leg on the local gallops as there was a boggy hole that no one had noticed. :( I'm a total party pooper now, no gallopy fun.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Yes, when she's fit enough and in regular work. She doesn't go very far or fast though haha! My son asked her for a canter over summer and she shot into gallop instead - he was laughing his head off (His first time galloping) :D

Muddywellies

Visit site
No. I'm too old to fall off at speed ! It's a self-preservation thing. In my youth I did, but I'm now more aware of rabbit holes, deer, pheasants etc etc, and it kind of hurts to hit the ground. And I would never forgive myself if my horse was injured (she's ridden regularly but not galloping fit). Maybe if I had access to gallops (or was inclined to hire local ones) I may go for a steady trot or canter but it doesn't interest me. She's turned out every day so if she fancies having a run, she can do it then to her hearts content.

Myloubylou

Visit site
If ground is good then we have a gallop. It makes me smile as my mare is all pleased with herself after. We only do a small stretch in a longer canter & never been out of control as tend to do it on solo hacks

Archangel

Visit site
I will gallop if the ground is appropriate and I can see the path is free of walkers/dogs etc. My little Arab was just so fast, acceleration and top speed. The wind in your ears is just amazing. He was also ultra polite so I never felt out of control.

I used to gallop my part-bred, he wasn't fast but I needed a long enough stretch to negotiate stopping with him.

The last proper gallop I had was in Hungary, flat out over tricky ground with lots of serious bends. I enjoyed it once I was safely back at the lodge with a drink in my hand.

Ouch05

Visit site
No where to gallop here I am but I can and have hired the local gallops. I have an ex racer and wow the speed is like nothing I have experienced before, That 'fifth' gear that comes out of no where is breath taking.

He will stop the first loop round I just clingy on smiling with eyes watering the second loop I can get control back to walk quite quickly

Auslander

Visit site
My mare had the most amazing gallop, that was fun too, but I don’t ride her anymore 🙁

She still practices it in the field very regularly! She's bloody fast!

Alf and I would both love it - but I don't dare due to his dodgy legs. He settles for pulling my arms out of their sockets when we canter out hacking. He has the odd mad gallop in the field, and is surprisingly fast for a big lump!

dollymix

Visit site
I do and would miss 'that feeling' if I never did it again. For me, one of the greatest adrenaline rushes I get as a rider, is that moment you 'let them go'. Though, I always maintain a contact.

I trust my mare implicitly and would only gallop where I know it is safe. I have galloped all my horses once I get to know them.

An open field or beach gallop is one of the best feelings in the world! (In my humble opinion haha)

DirectorFury

Visit site
We're spoilt for choice for good gallop spots here - the longest is just under 4 miles with good turf footing in summer. There's a gentle 1.2 mile uphill drag with good footing about 15 minutes from the yard gate, and a beach with no deep spots about 20 minutes away.
When my horse was in regular work she'd have a good blast at least once a week.

We only do this alone though - in company the 'red mist' descends and I lose all influence over direction and speed.