Liking the "theory" of competing... But "reality" is different?

TarrSteps

Visit site
I guess that falls under the mentality of bouncing back up whenever you're knocked down. I don't know how people do that, though - are they just so arrogant they don't consider that they might be wrong, or not capable, or just sufficiently self-assured. As an individual, how do you tell if you're blinkered to the truth (that you're not up to it) or that you've just had some set backs?

I'm just musing. I think too much...

When you're relatively inexperienced you rely on people who have been there, done that and the horses for feedback, along with competition results. People with the attitude Gs describes generally feel that if someone, somewhere learned and perfected the achievements they seek, then they can do it to with enough of the right work. They.don't just 'think positively' they DO positively.

LPL

Visit site
I would love to continue doing unaff which is why I have joined an RC and PC (at the age of 22 haha) to try do some cheaper events. But we have done all the local unaffs which tbh until last year seemed really few and far between and I thought the only way to do more courses and get more exposure and maybe even go up the levels was to affiliate. There is only one local show within 1 hour which does over 1m sj and i won the 1.05 and came 2nd in the 1m

I do put a lot of pressure on myself but only to actually complete. I hate the thought of paying nearly £100 to not finish. Also, what with everything the horse has had wrong with him or my circumstances, I grab any chance I have at competing with both hands. So now whilst he is fit, sound and capable I want to make the most out of it as I will never be able to buy something as talented for the same money ever again.

I don't do this to show off or make any one else happy or to fit in. Eventing is a dream of mine and I do it for me.

My dad and I are akin to an F1 team when it comes to getting ready. I get myself ready in the car gloves are ready in jacket pocket spurs attached to boots at all times. The only thing I suppose that could make it easier would be to travel tacked up. But I feel mean making him wear his tack for the 1 1/2 + hour journeys we have to make is a bit mean. Also I'd be gutted if something broke. He stands still in the trailer as long as one of us is stood in it with him. I put on bridle and front studs in the trailer but saddle and back studs I have to do outside and it's just so hard. We are contemplating single breast/breech bars so I could get completely ready in the trailer but again, that's more expense.

And come on you have got to admit that losing a shoe 5 mins before the dressage is pretty unlucky!!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
I would love to continue doing unaff which is why I have joined an RC and PC (at the age of 22 haha) to try do some cheaper events. But we have done all the local unaffs which tbh until last year seemed really few and far between and I thought the only way to do more courses and get more exposure and maybe even go up the levels was to affiliate. There is only one local show within 1 hour which does over 1m sj and i won the 1.05 and came 2nd in the 1m

I do put a lot of pressure on myself but only to actually complete. I hate the thought of paying nearly £100 to not finish. Also, what with everything the horse has had wrong with him or my circumstances, I grab any chance I have at competing with both hands. So now whilst he is fit, sound and capable I want to make the most out of it as I will never be able to buy something as talented for the same money ever again.

I don't do this to show off or make any one else happy or to fit in. Eventing is a dream of mine and I do it for me.

My dad and I are akin to an F1 team when it comes to getting ready. I get myself ready in the car gloves are ready in jacket pocket spurs attached to boots at all times. The only thing I suppose that could make it easier would be to travel tacked up. But I feel mean making him wear his tack for the 1 1/2 + hour journeys we have to make is a bit mean. Also I'd be gutted if something broke. He stands still in the trailer as long as one of us is stood in it with him. I put on bridle and front studs in the trailer but saddle and back studs I have to do outside and it's just so hard. We are contemplating single breast/breech bars so I could get completely ready in the trailer but again, that's more expense.

And come on you have got to admit that losing a shoe 5 mins before the dressage is pretty unlucky!!!!

Yes, shoe losing is unlucky. My horse lost one yesterday morning before going cross country. No farrier to be had, so out came the farriery tools (not without them now!!) and off came the other shoe. Thankfully he has good enough feet and going was soft, and that I'd given myself an extra half an hour (yes, it took half an hour - but my horse shivers, so it was blooming hard work!!!) - but I'm always prepared for things like that!!! So we made it after all ;)

Do you have any hacking nearby that you could box too?? Could be worth practising boxing out somewhere 'new', getting tacked and studded, then going for a hack. Then the studding becomes a normal thing rather than an additional excitement for eventing. Then also going out in the trailer doesn't become just as exciting? You could also then do that on an evening and not need a whole day.

I'm also 22 - I know what it's like to be desperate to get out and do what you love, and having limitations.

LPL

Visit site
It's things like that that you can't prepare for that throw me out a bit and affect my riding which I know it shouldn't but I can't help being who I am lol. It just stresses me out haha

Hmm yes again though it's about being economical with my outings but we do have a 5 week gap after Richmond so may be able to fit some if that in then. We have travel to my instructor for lessons and he is fine on the ground there but there is not much waiting around.

I can't even remember what my original post said any more. This thread seems to have become about me and my bad attitude lol.

khalswitz

Visit site
It's things like that that you can't prepare for that throw me out a bit and affect my riding which I know it shouldn't but I can't help being who I am lol. It just stresses me out haha

Hmm yes again though it's about being economical with my outings but we do have a 5 week gap after Richmond so may be able to fit some if that in then. We have travel to my instructor for lessons and he is fine on the ground there but there is not much waiting around.

I can't even remember what my original post said any more. This thread seems to have become about me and my bad attitude lol.

Just to try and be helpful (not criticising I promise!) have you tried tacking him up before unloading? Not travelling tacked (I know you've said you partially do this anyway) but Doing studs/saddle before unloading once at venue? Means he can't barge you. My old horse was impossible to tie up at shows, so he stayed in the box unless I was on him, everything got done in there. Saved a lot of stress.

Honestly not bad attitude, just that nothing about competing is usually plain sailing, and the ops point about expecting it to be wonderful and always going wrong is unrealistic - things will always go wrong, it's just dealing with it, either by training or by organisation beforehand.

Goldenstar

Visit site
When you're relatively inexperienced you rely on people who have been there, done that and the horses for feedback, along with competition results. People with the attitude Gs describes generally feel that if someone, somewhere learned and perfected the achievements they seek, then they can do it to with enough of the right work. They.don't just 'think positively' they DO positively.

This exactly , you do positively it's about analysis ,planning , goal setting in a realistic way and at every level .
But you need to honest with yourself to have insight into what drives you .
Then you make a plan .
Short term Medium term , long term I write them down . I work out how I am going to strive to achieve them I think like this all the time ,When I am constantly assessing what happening am I on track for today what would I adjust .
Each horse has a book I write things down as I think of them .
If I have an off time and can't be bothered with horses for a few days I think right I can't be bothered have three days off but I plan all the time , when I ride I work diligently towards where I am heading if I feel like time off I take it .
If something knocks me off track an horse injury say .
I reassess rewrite my goals and make a new plan .
I have plan for each horse in my head all the time .
I have just read this , ok I am nuts I admit it.
Some of this of course costs money and I am lucky to have money to spend but a lot of it is not about money it's about planning and graft .

JFTDWS

Visit site
What would be arrogance would be to have a series of disasters (eg horse being eliminated at consecutive events) and just to continue on competing at the same level, without changing anything and just hoping that things might improve just by magic!

That's rather my point actually. I doubt anybody sits there thinking "well I almost died today, but I'm sure it'll be magically better next time"... Most people probably think they have a plan of action, and that their plan is reasonable. How do you know it is? Trust your trainer? What if they're wrong? Personally I look at my horse for feedback, mostly, but I know other people put their faith in trainers / other people, or in themselves. And sometimes you need to ride out a few bumps before your plan really yields good results, so I think there is an element of confidence (bordering on arrogance) while you're sticking to the plan in the interim.

Like I say, I think too much. This is all hypothetical anyway, I'm quite happy with my situation.

paddi22

Visit site
there has to be an acceptance as well of what limitations are going on in your life - a new baby, stressful job, transport limitations due to money, time limitations due to job. Of course you can't always be on your A-game if you have sleep deprivation or part of your brain somewhere else, no matter how much you want to be focused. I tried competing when my mum was sick and a lot of my focus went on moving up levels mainly to distract myself or to prove i could still do it despite all the rest of the cr*p in my life. It was a massive relief when i just saw sense one day and said 'why am i putting this pressure on myself on top of everything else?' I still competed but i kept to the same level perfecting stuff without pressure. A few years later when circumstances changed it was much easier to reassess and say 'yep this is the right time now'

people have a habit of being their own worst enemies at times and adding stress unnecessarily instead of accepting that circumstances aren't ideal for a year or two and taking the pressure off.

khalswitz

Visit site
there has to be an acceptance as well of what limitations are going on in your life - a new baby, stressful job, transport limitations due to money, time limitations due to job. Of course you can't always be on your A-game if you have sleep deprivation or part of your brain somewhere else, no matter how much you want to be focused. I tried competing when my mum was sick and a lot of my focus went on moving up levels mainly to distract myself or to prove i could still do it despite all the rest of the cr*p in my life. It was a massive relief when i just saw sense one day and said 'why am i putting this pressure on myself on top of everything else?' I still competed but i kept to the same level perfecting stuff without pressure. A few years later when circumstances changed it was much easier to reassess and say 'yep this is the right time now'

people have a habit of being their own worst enemies at times and adding stress unnecessarily instead of accepting that circumstances aren't ideal for a year or two and taking the pressure off.

Exactly. I'm DESPERATE to event, but I know that without my own independent, regular transport, it is going to be too stressful and too much pressure on my boy. So we are working away on the SJ and dressage at comps within hacking distance and with the odd lift, with the odd XC outing for fun and maybe even an unaff event this year if we manage, and once we finally sort out transport we can aim higher. But until then there's no point spending ridiculous sums on hiring boxes etc just for him to have a tantrum and not make it to the XC phase. And the work we put in in the meantime will put us in good stead for later.

Firewell

Visit site
Here in my area of Cali ( I don't know what the rest of the US are like) most people don't compete. I am at a big hunter/jumper yard and I am the only one who has gone out to shows this year! They think it's very driven of me to trundle off in my trailer every few weeks to compete!
All the people at my yard spend a fortune keeping beautiful horses, they ride every day, have lessons and train all the time but only one or two other people are interested in 'showing' as they call it and even then they do just 2 maybe at a push 3 big shows a year.
I find it fascinating.
People either show (compete) or they don't. There isn't the 'why own a performance type horse if you don't want to compete' thing here. People are very happy to keep nicely bred horses for lesiure and lessons only.

1t34

Visit site
The luck thing is interesting, I personally don't believe in it. Hard work and crucially having the right horse who is suited to your ambitions and lifestyle I think is vital. Life throws unexpected things at you often at innoportune moments. For example the worst luck that can be probably occur is something like an illness which might limit your competition abilities. What is interesting in this context is an ability not to say (admittedly after a bit of why me/life can be a complete b*gger) I can't do x and its all pretty unfair but to say I will do x as well as I can, make adjustments perhaps through extra help/support etc. Crucially its also important to have a back up plan which includes y which you can do and will work hard to achieve. That is not to say life wouldn't be easier or better without the illness but it is to say I willnget the best out of life and compete or train to do the best I can. So in terms of this post, don't dwell on what you can't do, work out ways to make it happen, have a plan B in your back pocket in case you need it! Enjoy your horse and if he or she isn't the right one dont spend your life being disappointed change it!

Mike007

Visit site
The worst luck you can have is to have the horse you should have had at 16 and not 60. and to know that his honesty and ability is frankly ,wasted.

TGM

Visit site
That's rather my point actually. I doubt anybody sits there thinking "well I almost died today, but I'm sure it'll be magically better next time"... Most people probably think they have a plan of action, and that their plan is reasonable. How do you know it is? Trust your trainer? What if they're wrong? Personally I look at my horse for feedback, mostly, but I know other people put their faith in trainers / other people, or in themselves. And sometimes you need to ride out a few bumps before your plan really yields good results, so I think there is an element of confidence (bordering on arrogance) while you're sticking to the plan in the interim.

Well you do see some people going out having bad days again and again at the same level, without seeming to change anything. I think there are competitors who just think things will improve by 'trying harder' and 'being more determined' but not actually sitting down and looking carefully at the roots of their problems. And in some circumstances that approach will work - if the horse is just a little insecure then 'being more determined' may be all that is necessary. However, if the horse is in discomfort in some way, or the rider's style is hindering the horse's performance, or the horse's technique needs improving, then 'being more determined' is not the answer. Another thing I have noticed, is that some people get stuck in one specific answer to any problems - with some it is always the horse's back, with others it is bitting, whilst again others always blame the feed. So always check that you are looking at all the options, and not just get stuck with your 'favourite answer' - make sure you have a wide variety of tools in your toolbox!

As for whether you trust your trainer, I think it is important to soak up information on your discipline from lots of sources - forums, videos, books, magazines, clinics, demos, discussion with other competitors, etc., so you have a background pool of knowledge to judge your trainer's advice against. And, yes, you have to listen to your horse as well, as some trainers have an approach which may only suit a certain type of horse. (For example, I know trainers who are great with stoic, steady types that need galvanising into action, but not so good with sensitive, hot types). If the trainer is competing, then a look at their record is interesting - not so much whether they win the top competitions, but are they regularly bringing different horses up the levels successfully without too many blips. And it helps to let the trainer know that you will appreciate all advice, even if it may be very critical and not what you want to hear.

(PS: when I say 'you', I don't mean 'you' personally, just easier to write it like that!)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
There is a big difference to trying hard and working smart. I have always tried hard but now I work smart. This comes with a great trainer and with experience.

There will always be an element of luck with horses. I seem to get to my second season at Novice and they go wrong. Pretty sure its not my management or training as one killed itself by falling over on concrete just as we were due to go out hacking (3 years of blood, sweat and tears down the drain in a freak accident) and the other had spavins. Just one of those things.

Does it make me go woe me? No it just makes you look at the bigger picture, dust yourself off, lick your wounds and get on with it. Does it piss me off that I am back to doing 80cm again on another green horse having had a good start to novice last year? Yes it does, but there is nothing I can do about it and I want to achieve my goals.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The worst luck you can have is to have the horse you should have had at 16 and not 60. and to know that his honesty and ability is frankly ,wasted.

No horse is wasted if it's giving you joy .
I have one I would have liked at thirty five but that's life .
He's happy having a nice time he does not know he's "wasted " it bothered me for a while but I am over that now .
I just thank my lucky stars he's mine .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Great article TS :) I had this thread in mind when I was giving myself a kick up the bum last night... it was a good motivator at the end of a long day when I just wanted to crawl home to the sofa!

GreyCoast

Visit site
Here in my area of Cali ( I don't know what the rest of the US are like) most people don't compete.

That's funny. At my local barn here in NorCal, they compete nearly every weekend. There's a complicated board of who is going where with whom. Also, being a college-based barn, we have IHSA teams who go out competing without horses, which is super weird. We hosted a competition the other week and I've never seen such a quiet venue!

There's certainly luck involved and I've had it: an amazing, talented honest horse, supportive parents, school hours (don't kids under appreciate those!), a brilliant groom, a hugely successful competing year where we came home each weekend in the money all bathed in the golden glow of the subtropics. Sure, the horse was tricky and on a careful management plan that involved six rides a week under instruction, but nobody is going to argue that I was jolly lucky to have that opportunity. Then I immigrated, the horse I sold as a 1.30m mount went on to do nothing and the groom died of a heart attack despite being only in his 30s and as fit as a fiddle leaving behind a wife and daughter. You couldn't meet a better person.

On a separate note: just as some horses are prone to brain snaps undersaddle, some are prone to brain snaps when being handled on the ground. Just "more groundwork" isn't always the answer, although I appreciate that it is in the vast majority of cases. For one of my horses, the answer involved knee-hobbles. And an easy fun day out came to include watching my horse lean at extreme angles against the float for balance when his brain couldn't be bothered to sort out his legs. Which, after the initial fright, is actually really funny. As is seeing other people's reactions when they see it for the first time. :D

But getting back to the original theme, tricky horse had a lot of time off when I couldn't be bothered dealing with him. Nought wrong with that. If I ever decide I want easy fun day out, I'll be riding a different horse. Lots of PC school masters can go around the low levels without needing a ton of work. Sounds like OP would enjoy one of those right now and who can blame them.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Great thread! I understand exactly where you are coming from OP. However, I think maybe it helps if you stop having that idealised picture in your head all the time and take each day as it comes. Sure, you can decide you have a goal if you want, but when you have worked out what you need to do (e.g. jump school twice a week, lesson once a fortnight, compete once a month, building up to xyz comp level by end of summer) then forget about the goal and just focus on the day to day work, otherwise you feel you are never getting anywhere (well I do anyway).

I haven't competed since my twenties, but have decided I'd like to compete my nice young ex-racehorse. However, he's gone lame, scuppering all my plans for the summer, and I really am wondering if it's worth the hassle and heartache. Maybe I should just get a freebie old cob and be content to hack with the children and escort them out hunting. But there is this little voice in my head all the time telling me how amazing it would feel to do an event again, to jump a big hedge, to ride down a centre line...... and if I don't do it now, it will soon be too late!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I posted on my phone while I was multitasking and meant 'preparation' obviously! But the Freudian slip works too!

I thought perspiration was quite apt, especially after my schooling session today in very muggy weather!! I loved this article, so thank you for sharing. I will never be a world class rider, but I want us (me and Cam) to be the best we possibly can. I video most of our schooling sessions, partly because I ride better if I know I have to look at it, but partly to see what is working and what isn't. I write notes on our blog (facebook page), but these are more for me to look back on that to invite comment. And we haven't even gone out at BD prelim level yet. But I need to know that whatever we are doing, we are doing to the best of our ability. That said, while I love competing, and I go out to 'win', I am not disappointed if on paper the result isn't great. I look back through the test and compare with the sheet and work damn hard on refining what we can. As long as we go out and do our best and show off everything we have been practising at home, that to me is progress. :) x

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I often daydream about competing my horse - either a dressage test or show jumping. In my dream we do very well and have a lovely time....

Reality = my horse is mentally unstable, can't go in warmups and has to visit a new place several times before she's safe enough to ride and even then gets too stressed to do anything other than look like a wild giraffe and we don't jump so SJ is out too.

The dream is nice though! :D

indie1282

Visit site
I have noticed that a lot of people on here all say the same - the horse is too sharp/excitable/nightmare to be at a show ect...

If that's the case them get another horse if its so much bother? If competing is something you really want to do then the right horse is crucial. I know there's the argument that 'my horse is so well bred/talented/bred for the job but it doesn't matter how good it is - if it doesn't have the right attitude and finds competing too much stress then its no good for the job!!

indie1282

Visit site
Also on the same subject - I'm sure all the horses out there that are naughty/sharp/spooky ect. . would be much happier not competing either!!

They may find it all too much and get stressed for a reason. Just a thought!! :)

lme

Visit site
Also on the same subject - I'm sure all the horses out there that are naughty/sharp/spooky ect. . would be much happier not competing either!!

They may find it all too much and get stressed for a reason. Just a thought!! :)

I'd agree with this. Most of our horses and ponies are family members who aren't going anywhere, not something we have in order to compete at a specific discipline. Given this, we have to tailor what we do to their aptitudes / likes and dislikes. If competing at specific disciplines were the main driver, we would choose horses that enjoyed / were good at those disciplines and rehome them if they would be better suited to doing something else.

Last edited:

indie1282

Visit site
I'd agree with this. Most of our horses and ponies are family members who aren't going anywhere, not something we have in order to compete at a specific discipline. Given this, we have to tailor what we do to their aptitudes / likes and dislikes. If competing at specific disciplines were the main driver, we would choose horses that enjoyed / were good at those disciplines and rehome them if they would be better suited to doing something else.

Exactly my point Ime - at the end of the day the horse doesn't know (or care) if he's worth 1000 or 10,000 pounds, he just wants to have his needs met and be looked after and happy in his work :)

Firewell

Visit site
That's funny. At my local barn here in NorCal, they compete nearly every weekend. There's a complicated board of who is going where with whom. Also, being a college-based barn, we have IHSA teams who go out competing without horses, which is super weird.

Your lucky, it's not very motivating when your the only one going out! The local shows I have been to so far have had an OK amount of entries but I do see the same people out. I haven't done a rated show yet so that's on the cards. I'll be interested to see how popular they are.
My barn isn't like England, no one hacks or takes their horses out and I'm in the Santa Ynez valley which is meant to be very big horse area :(. Nice barn though they treat my horse like a prince which makes me happy :).

Sealine

Visit site
Some interesting replies on this thread re: luck, effort etc. I strongly believe you make your own luck (to a certain extent) and you get out of anything in life what you put in. I recently came across the 4 laws of effort:

1. Improvement is never ending – you will never reach a point of mastery and be ‘good enough’ to then move on to something else.

2. The number of ways to improve is unlimited but the time and resources we have in order to get better are very limited.

3. Improvement is best achieved through the focus on training and practice which basically boils down to EFFORT.

4. Effort is fundamentally a combination of Quality and Quantity into the areas you are targeting for improvement.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Some interesting replies on this thread re: luck, effort etc. I strongly believe you make your own luck (to a certain extent) and you get out of anything in life what you put in. I recently came across the 4 laws of effort:

1. Improvement is never ending – you will never reach a point of mastery and be ‘good enough’ to then move on to something else.

2. The number of ways to improve is unlimited but the time and resources we have in order to get better are very limited.

3. Improvement is best achieved through the focus on training and practice which basically boils down to EFFORT.

4. Effort is fundamentally a combination of Quality and Quantity into the areas you are targeting for improvement.

The laws are great! Are they yours? I'd like to reference them on my page but would o like to attribute them correctly. :)