Liveries and Hay - opinion please?

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hi StaceyTanglewood
i am not going to suggest you do anything about the hay or nets or sizes of bales how much or how little you feed compared to others ..............................................but i am going to suggest that tonight you pour a lovely bath with bubbles, a nice glass of wine and a good bath book the trashier the better
blush.gif
and have a good long lovely soak and a deep breath, go to bed and wake up and have a look at the sun or snow or rain or mud (sorry forgot where you are) and thank yourself that you are not living in the state of victoria in Australia.

i am not trying to belittle you or anything, but i personally am glad i did not have go through what these people have had to put up with last week down under

start pouring now............................................................

[/ QUOTE ]

have poured large glas and am drinking while typing !!! x x x x

suzyqet

Visit site
I wish my hay was included in my livery!

I dont think you are being unreasonable.

My 17hh would struggle to eat what you have quoted.

I think things need to be said tbh, especially as it is only them doing this.

hadfos

Visit site
our yard gives what they eat.....we give the hay and know exactly what each horse eats over night...no waste and all have a tiny bit left in the morn...what i hate is liveries that have no clue how much there horse eats and think it is ok for their horse to have far too much incase they run out (they give em enough for a wk,lol.)and end up with a bed full of hay
mad.gif
and their answer is "well it dosnt go to waste as i have put it in their bed"
crazy.gif
u what???hmmmm!!

ecs

Visit site

as a YO i have seen it all, people who cannot be bothered to fill nets, as it constitutes work to people who jump up and down on nets, and tip the uneaten net on the stable floor the next day, only to fill it to bursting again, after a few days we throw the uneaten hay on the muck heap because it must have something wrong with it, never the horse is full to bursting, you will never understand everybody

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Our hay is all included in the price, and if we think our horses are short say in the evening we are allowed to top up with what we want, or to make up a haynet for the lorry etc. but to be honest it is very rare we need to top up as they always have plenty.

LuckyFind

New User
Visit site
To be honest, reading this post and your replies to the 5 pages of opinions ... the problem seems to be you are unwilling to see anyone elses point of view. Could this be why the livery did not ask you first and does it when you are not around? I'm not trying to be rude - just pointing out that this thread has gone on for 5 pages as despite what is said you still can't see why they might have given the horse more hay.

It was a silly thing to do putting hay on the floor - so just tell everyone to make hay nets if they need to use more - problem solved???

If her horse is hungry he'll eat the hay - if not it will still be in the hay net in the morning and can be re used and there'll be no problem.

also unless all of your horses are exactly the same size then some will be ok with 4 sections and some will need more. No one really has 'good grass' at this time of year either. you may have grass but it currently has no nutritional value so horses will be hungry when they come in i'd say.

smile.gif

BBH

Visit site
I haven't read other posts but I left my last yard cos on full livery my two were not fed adequate hay, they had two sections twice a day but they were so light they lasted about an hour. I was also told I could take extra but in reality they didn't want you too and I got snidey comments so I left. So in essence they lost £ 1300 per month livery cos they were too tight with hay and I was fed up having to buy bales from them to save the nasty comments.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see the big problem, personally.
When you come back from wherever you've been, just take whatever is left of the four sections, and pop it in a haynet to make up the horse's normal rations.
Life's too short to worry about things with easy solutions...
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yea ive really got time to stand there stuffing haynets when its spread round a 16x12 stable havent i !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

In the time you've spent stewing about it, and writing responses to these threads, I could easily have gathered up the remains of the four sections, stuffed them in a haynet, and moved on!
tongue.gif

I think it's that time of year, when we've all had too much winter, when little things seem to become insurmountable problems.
S
grin.gif

xxxbettyboopxxx

Visit site
I have really enjoyed reading this topic. It is funny having been on diy myself and now being all alone on a rented yard.

Personally I have 3 horses, my suffolk will easily clear a bale a day, even with good grass, my sec a will eat grass all day and still eat 2 sections at night and my shetland has 2 sections, even when the grass is good. Imo you should feed hay adlib, although my suffolk would eat 4 bales if you put it out there with them.
While the weather was bad a while bag I was feeding a builders ton bag of haylage once sometimes twice a day.
Although it seems foolish of this lady to of done this with hay in the net and a haynet made for the night