Looking for a breed of pony my son won’t send to sleep and turn into a seaside donkey. Ideas?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
some british riding ponies are a bit bonkers too (basically there's some pretty intense driving ponies he'd probably enjoy 🤣)

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
some british riding ponies are a bit bonkers too (basically there's some pretty intense driving ponies he'd probably enjoy 🤣)
Our old BRP started off as a driving pony and was really pretty nutty! Luckily for us, he went to a friend for backing and she decided he was too good to go back! His pair buddy was very successful as a single!

Jellymoon

Visit site
This is not a request you see every day is it!
What activities does he do with the ponies? I’m thinking if he likes jumping, there are so many ways to keep things exciting. A really good sporty connie can be entertaining and for height of pony in relation to height of jump, they are the scopiest horses in the world (imho haha)
Then there’s drag hunting/team chasing/eventing etc…
Is he currently riding at a riding school? I only ask that because you say he gets put on the lively ones and then is plodding along at the back of the ride by the end…

SEL

Visit site
This is not a request you see every day is it!
What activities does he do with the ponies? I’m thinking if he likes jumping, there are so many ways to keep things exciting. A really good sporty connie can be entertaining and for height of pony in relation to height of jump, they are the scopiest horses in the world (imho haha)
Then there’s drag hunting/team chasing/eventing etc…
Is he currently riding at a riding school? I only ask that because you say he gets put on the lively ones and then is plodding along at the back of the ride by the end…
@maya2008 backs all her own ponies so he's a jockey for them.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
That’s what we have been doing (he’s been backing and bringing on ponies for us and friends since he was 7), but he’s getting a bit too good at it and nothing lasts long. That was his complaint actually. He wants something to love that he can keep for a few years and won’t become ‘boring’.
Are you sure he isn't equating the ponies settling down for him with them then always being passed on? Because I can see how that would make it difficult for a child to learn how to form an attachment to any particular pony. Either way, just buy him something that he won't physically grow out of and then keep it, regardless of how quiet it becomes.

toooldtofalloff

New User
Visit site
11 year old boy. Currently still just about fitting on 11.2hh Welshies but also riding my 13hh NF. Adult height won’t be more than about 5ft6 so never going to be tall.

Loves a speedy nutty pony, but has a wonderful knack of turning even the borderline dangerous ones into… plods. I kid you not, it’s a gift, before you know it the pony is bumbling along at the back of the ride, all sleepy and calm, lolloping into jumps steadily and looking after little children with kindness and care. Lovely for the pony, disappointing for him. He likes the adrenaline rush of the young pony unpredictability, then misses it like mad when it’s gone.

He was so despondent the other day as the latest one has now also turned into a very sweet pony who would really like some small people to dote on. Currently getting his ‘fix’ riding a friend’s project, but even that is rapidly progressing from pretty scary to calm and sensible. In a month she won’t be fun any more either. We have a couple of projects to play with over the summer, none of which are destined for him (one for my daughter and my ongoing ex feral) so can keep him happy for now, but I have promised him one of his own at the end of the summer, that will stay fun and buzzy. It’s just finding one though. How do I find one that will stay a bit speedy and fun like he wants it?
i've always found those with plenty of Welsh blood to be more on the fiery side. Or Arab? He's only a child though so I'd tread carefully. One day he'll meet his match!

Cloball

Visit site
So far I think we’re at:
- Welsh x
- Arab x
Maybe a bit of TB blood in there.

I have only ever known sane Welsh Cs and completely insane (as in, total lack of self preservation) Welsh Bs. What cross would be fun but without the crazy ‘throwing self at cars to avoid yellow flowers’ moments?

Also an option, but not as easy to find as I rarely see them advertised.
A lot are still advertised on arablines
Have you thought about hiring him out??

I joke, of course! He sounds like a cracking jockey.
A welshie? Some connies have a nutty gene in them aswell.
Does he want to work his magic on my fell,I've got a bad back at the mo and could do with no flying/bouncing down hill.

HeyMich

Visit site
We have a very spicy and sporty Welsh D, 14.1 and a total firecracker. If ever there was a pony I would want to grow a few hands it would be him, he'd be so much fun!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A small pure bred arab. Plenty of fire and stamina but trustworthy. A good one will seem a bit deranged to onlookers but will still be looking after his rider.
This never a dull moment with a pure bred Arab mine are forward and can be fizzy but never dangerous.

Alot of the ridden show Arab's are ridden by children in the ring.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There was a gorgeous PB Arab gelding palomino on arabian lines a few weeks back I think he was too much for his current teenage owner.

I know the sire of the horse he was bred at the same stud as Arabi they are half brothers, he was always a bundle of energy whenever I saw him, his been with a well known part bred arab breeder for years and has some nice stock.

vhf

Visit site
I thought about a sports pony - had one with Arab blood when I was younger who was unbelievably fast and talented but a little too obedient for me (and a certifiably nuts one I sold on who he probably would have liked!).

That’s what we have been doing (he’s been backing and bringing on ponies for us and friends since he was 7), but he’s getting a bit too good at it and nothing lasts long. That was his complaint actually. He wants something to love that he can keep for a few years and won’t become ‘boring’.
I did this from 6/7 too. That was the 70's; I suspect there were some you'd not be letting kids near these days! After a while I matured as a rider (13+) so I could keep them forward and interesting but was always known for sorting out the difficult ones/getting them going so my brother could hop on and win stuff! I never kept anything for more than a couple of seasons though what with growing and having younger siblings. The first one I kept for much more than that was the mare I bought 'to sell on' in 2008. She's still here. BRP xTb, WelshD xArab and NF xArab were three of my favourites - until my first TB at 15... I always had at least 2 on the go at different phases, (and some breakers/schoolers mixed in) so when one became safe I had others to provide the excitement! I still tend to calm things down even now.

southerncomfort

Visit site
A lot are still advertised on arablines

Does he want to work his magic on my fell,I've got a bad back at the mo and could do with no flying/bouncing down hill.

I was going to suggest a Fell too.

Never a boring day with a Fell 😆 and they can turn a hoof to anything. Mine is a very enthusiastic hack!

Mustard

Visit site
Another vote for Welsh B x Arab. We had two 13 hand chestnuts, a mare and a gelding, when my daughter was 10ish. Both came to us because no-one else could cope with them. They were fabulous, games, sj, xc - we had great fun with them.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I’ve had 2 Connie cross tbs in the past both were equally as mad and unpredictable, they ruined my confidence but im a big wimp. Very fresh all the time , jogging out hacking, buzzing at all times types, no relaxing rides but neither were particularly safe off road hacking.

Skib

sites.google.com
I rode a Connie who wizzed about. She ran with her head low and you couldnt use the reins to stop her. You had to use your legs to steer or bend her to slow her down. But her canter was blissfully smooth, unlike the bumpy but very safe IS I ride now who charges away only if she gets spooked or frightened. If I were buying a horse/pony, I would buy myself a Connie. But I wonder if they age well? The one I loved had to be retired due to melanoma and died aged 16.

maya2008

Visit site
There was a gorgeous PB Arab gelding palomino on arabian lines a few weeks back I think he was too much for his current teenage owner.

I know the sire of the horse he was bred at the same stud as Arabi they are half brothers, he was always a bundle of energy whenever I saw him, his been with a well known part bred arab breeder for years and has some nice stock.
Bundles of energy is what we’re after really. I think he really just wants his original Shetland in a larger more athletic package. Endless energy, a bit ditsy, leaping for joy bucks now and then, very fast when you want to zoom. I had a look, but mostly too big - Arabs seem to have become larger as a breed since I was young. I am sure I remember plenty around the 13.3/14hh mark!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Welsh x Arab if he wants 14 hh plus. Exmoor if he doesn't mind short and wide! The latter I found a lot more fun and you do sometimes get one that's 13 hh +.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Bundles of energy is what we’re after really. I think he really just wants his original Shetland in a larger more athletic package. Endless energy, a bit ditsy, leaping for joy bucks now and then, very fast when you want to zoom. I had a look, but mostly too big - Arabs seem to have become larger as a breed since I was young. I am sure I remember plenty around the 13.3/14hh mark!
Some are still little I saw a little grey pure bred he looked lovely I will try and find where I saw him.

People want them bigger but they shouldn't really be much over 15 hands, most of the big ones break young and have multiple issues when ridden alot of the in hand show horses never get ridden so they tend to be OK.

The crabbet old English lines were short and stocky but they are not fashionable now 😔