Looking to buy a horse need some advice

Dusty 123

Visit site
As someone who bought a green horse as there first horse I would not recommend it. I was lucky that it worked out and the horse is perfect thanks to a brilliant riding instructor . But it can be very dangerous heading a green horse if you’re not experienced enough.

To be honest I would recommend you wife get back into riding lessons and to help out in the yard so she nows how to care for the horse before even considering buying a horse. Than once you get experienced enough. You need a older horse or pony that very quiet and lazy. Please do not buy a foal .

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
The thing is, if you do buy a youngster, you have no idea if it’s going to be suitable for a novice. The vast majority of privately owned horses are not suitable for novices. The ones that are have been handled well and trained well until they were ready to teach a novice the ropes. You won’t be able to do that because none of you are experienced horse riders - you’re about ten years off it at least. Most pleasure riders would not even consider taking on a yearling no matter how experienced they were, and that is because caring for a youngster is pretty dull but with very bad consequences if you do it wrong.
I think you should use this time to save some more cash for the pony - if it is going to be a pony at all. Are all of you wanting to ride it? Because an 11hh kids pony is not suitable for an 80kg adult. If you do I would go for something very steady that fits the heaviest of you - if it is kind and forgiving it will help your kids out even if they are a little too small. I know a 17hh chunky older boy who teaches kids to ride, he’s a star. Not that I’m suggesting 17hh is the ideal height!
And again, are you 100% sure you have the budget for it? It’s going to need to be on full livery for at least a few months until you know what you’re doing, that’s 500-1000 a month depending on area. I’m on DIY and all in all it is about 400 a month in the winter, and around 300 in the summer. That’s for feed, bedding, farrier, livery. That’s the basics. Then there’s insurance, tack (which we’ve spent about 4K on in the last year and a half) and transport costs if you want to go to shows or fun rides. My horse is a fun low-level showjumper and pony club horse, he was 3500 and anyone who asks his price is shocked he was so cheap. So 500-1000 will not buy you a nice amateur’s horse. Good luck if you do decide to go for it, and get an instructor or very experienced horse rider to go with you when you view! They will be able to spot red flags, there are many dodgy sellers around as you have discovered.

[139672]

Visit site
As the others have said, do not buy a youngster. I used to keep my horses at a riding and livery yard with loads of kids. Some of the kids would nag their parents to buy them a pony, some parents did and the kids lost interest in a very short period of time. Not one of the kids remained interested, some of the ponies were sold and the rest just ended up as field ornaments!

lucymb

Visit site
Lee, please look at other options.
I've only just started to post on here due to having lots of free time from lockdown but couldn't not offer my advice to you.
No one is trying to put a downer on the excitement of getting this foal.
They are offering practical and knowledgeable advice.
At my old yard a very novice lady bought a foal from a dealer. No experience in horses except she used to ride when she was younger. The horse became deadly because they didn't have a clue how to deal with him. He became very strong to lead and very dangerous to be around. He kicked, and bit people. He had no manners at all. I left the yard so i have no idea what ending up happening to him but i cant imagine he ended in a very nice place.
The yard was also diy livery so no help for them at all except for me and 3 other ladys. Yes you have found a yard with excellent facilities but, you need a nice quiet horse that your family can enjoy now and not in years to come. There are plenty out there.

Ive been around horses for 20 years but wouldn't ever take on a foal. I don't have the time. I've currently started looking for a new horse after losing a pony i had for 10 year and the market is full of young horses so i can see why it seems like a good idea. No reputable dealer would ever sell a foal to someone with no experience.
Lots of ads im seeing are also offering horses to be sold unseen due to lockdown. Please wait till lockdown is over and maybe look at something more suitable for your family then.

Surbie

Visit site
Might of been a mistake asking on here seems to be a lot of negative people iv admitted I don't have a clue I'm looking for advice on a foal and I've take on board that it's a bad idea. And are looking at other options and I'm not in a rush to buy. And I will view an look out for suitable horse ex riding school kids poney etc that's been riden by kids.

Good for you - some of the advice on here can be pretty blunt, but do bear in mind there are lots of posts from people who have overhorsed themselves and then lost confidence, which is the last thing that you want for your kids.

A loan might be the way forward, just while your kids learn and you can see if it's something they are interested in for more than a few months. I got mine on loan almost 3 years ago now. He was 11 when I got him and needed a year rehab, but is established, patient and is definitely enough horse for me as a relative novice. The great thing is that he is able to go out and do his job. I don't have to teach him about the farrier, loading, clipping, being caught, standing still to be mounted etc.

My friend has bought a young horse, and has made sure she has experienced help as it's also her first horse. But she has to lean on that help all the time and go very slowly so the horse isn't overfaced. I am sure it will pay off in the end, but I'm not sure that kids would have that patience.

Dairyfree

Visit site
Fink you all need to chill out! If you can afford it jut buy it. Your kids can grow up together with the baby pony and they will be best friends. And best friends don’t hurt each other.... everyone needs to chill out - safety police

Dairyfree

Visit site
Wise words. Wise words...

Well yes that’s the problem these days everyone’s too quick to stop others!
Get the foal - he said he has help. What’s your problem???
How do you think most people break kids pony’s? They put a kid on it

Auslander

Visit site
Well yes that’s the problem these days everyone’s too quick to stop others!
Get the foal - he said he has help. What’s your problem???
How do you think most people break kids pony’s? They put a kid on it
Yes they do. A competent kid, with experienced help! can you not tell from the OP's posts how inexperienced this family is? ALl credit to him for asking, and hopefully taking on board the advice that an older, been there, done it pony would be far more suitable.

lucymb

Visit site
I also dont think that getting a horse of any age is just about experience and knowledge.
If you are not confident around any horse then they can be very scary.
It only takes one bad experience with a horse for it to knock your confidence completely, either in the saddle or on the ground.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Fink you all need to chill out! If you can afford it jut buy it. Your kids can grow up together with the baby pony and they will be best friends. And best friends don’t hurt each other.... everyone needs to chill out - safety police

If it's small enough you can keep it in the house. Save you loads of money on teddy bears and not much more expensive than a puppy. And it won't chew the furniture.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Might of been a mistake asking on here seems to be a lot of negative people iv admitted I don't have a clue I'm looking for advice on a foal and I've take on board that it's a bad idea. And are looking at other options and I'm not in a rush to buy. And I will view an look out for suitable horse ex riding school kids poney etc that's been riden by kids.

No it wasn’t. You don’t want folk to blow smoke up your butt then watch you fall over. If you are going to spend money on a horse for your kids then better to get some negative replies then get something suitable than be taken in my a dodgy dealer and end up with upset kids and very out of pocket. Not negativity just truth and advice.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
You jest, but our troll does sound like they've been posting in Chit Chat and Tack FB group! Plenty of genuinely drippy posters there.

I don’t honk he’s a troll, not every new poster is one, that’s one thing that does annoy me on this forum. We have plenty of long standing posters who aren’t challenged for similar behaviours but we attack the new people :)

Trust me plenty of drippy posters on here as well, just depends if your face fits and you have kissed enough butts ;)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
95220548_139134974347404_4848720371525877760_n.jpg

Christ, that’s poor ?

Dairyfree

Visit site
I don’t honk he’s a troll, not every new poster is one, that’s one thing that does annoy me on this forum. We have plenty of long standing posters who aren’t challenged for similar behaviours but we attack the new people :)

Trust me plenty of drippy posters on here as well, just depends if your face fits and you have kissed enough butts ;)

Thank you ? I thought I was joining something where people could be open and support each other. Not hate on me. I’ve never been on a forum and actively avoided any Facebook groups.... guess this is why! Being accused of being a fraud cos I don’t think there’s anything wrong with some guy buying a youngster for his family when he has already said they will have support from professionals.
Way to put new people off owning horses too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

I think the troll comments were in response to this...