Lorry downsizing, in seventh heaven

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've held off posting about this because I've been hearing in my head the voices of posters who have told me that they talk about me behind my back saying 'look what she's boasting about buying now, with her rich husband's money'.

But I'm going to share my joy with the forum, because I am thrilled beyond describing. I've saved my own money for twenty five years, out of my own earnings and my own private pension, and finally, pushed into it by the imminent death of the first of my generation of friends and the wait for a biopsy result on my OH, I've bought this. And I love it. And I feel, today, like the cares of the world have been lifted from my shoulders, and that I am the luckiest person alive.

image2-2.JPG

It's a 2.5 year old Fiat Ducato with 13,000 miles on the clock, still under Fiat warranty, with a new build box by a small company near Preston who I totally recommend. The build is of the highest quality but the price is much, much, cheaper than the big names.

We have test driven both horses in it today, one at a time. Both were suspicious of loading backwards, but neither took more than a few minutes. I had the partition set so that the horse travels dead centre between the wheels. We watched Henry on the camera and it was clear he was trying to stand against the partition and he wanted it slanted. So we stopped and slanted it so his shoulders were pushed towards the driver's side, and he was happy. Rizzle is a terrible traveller sideways, and I was hopeful he would prefer backwards. It was such a success, so much happier, especially downhill when he simply sat on the bulkhead behind us.

In the space down the driver's side next to the horse, I have a toilet. In the living, we have a fold-up stretcher bed, cupboards and seat for two. You can see there is a tack locker, but we have cut into that to put in the bed for OH to snooze on while I do the farm ride. My tack will go above the loo. My storage is the luton, which is big enough to sleep two if anyone wanted it for that. It's a joy being able to raise the ramp with one arm, or while holding a horse.

For anyone considering downgrading to a 3.5t, I would say definitely go for it as long as you can afford a relatively young one. The older ones are fairly renowned for needing work on them, they simply aren't built to last like the 7.5t are. I was afraid it would lack power, but even with the 'smaller' 2.3 engine I have a gear in hand on steep hills with the horse on board. I have wanted this for three years. I wish now I'd done it earlier.

Now I have a little van I can buzz off to all my friends and hugely expand where I can go for a nice quiet traffic free hack. It's going to change my life for the better :)

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
Oh it looks fabulous! Enjoy it.

Can you PM me the name of the manufacturer as I am thinking of going the 3.5 or possibly 6.5 t route myself

Annagain

Visit site
What a lovely post. You're right, life's too short not to do the things we really want to do (within reason :D). I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Looks brilliant! Ignore anyone who wants to do a wee on your chips (h&h won't allow the intended language). They might be jealous, they might just be bored and want something to moan about. Either way, it's none of their bl**dy business!

ENJOY!! :) x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Having downsized myself 5 yrs ago from 7.5, previously 18t for the 10 yrs to that, (and 7.5's before the biggn) I love popping out in the little box. So easy on my own to go just about anywhere (except one local beauty spot that has a height restriction of 8 ft!)
Only on very rare occasions do I miss the 'extras' in the bigger boxes, but thats very very fleeting....
Have fun :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've held off posting about this because I've been hearing in my head the voices of posters who have told me that they talk about me behind my back saying 'look what she's boasting about buying now, with her rich husband's money'.

But I'm going to share my joy with the forum, because I am thrilled beyond describing. I've saved my own money for twenty five years, out of my own earnings and my own private pension, and finally, pushed into it by the imminent death of the first of my generation of friends and the wait for a biopsy result on my OH, I've bought this. And I love it. And I feel, today, like the cares of the world have been lifted from my shoulders, and that I am the luckiest person alive.

image2-2.JPG

It's a 2.5 year old Fiat Ducato with 13,000 miles on the clock, still under Fiat warranty, with a new build box by a small company near Preston who I totally recommend. The build is of the highest quality but the price is much, much, cheaper than the big names.

We have test driven both horses in it today, one at a time. Both were suspicious of loading backwards, but neither took more than a few minutes. I had the partition set so that the horse travels dead centre between the wheels. We watched Henry on the camera and it was clear he was trying to stand against the partition and he wanted it slanted. So we stopped and slanted it so his shoulders were pushed towards the driver's side, and he was happy. Rizzle is a terrible traveller sideways, and I was hopeful he would prefer backwards. It was such a success, so much happier, especially downhill when he simply sat on the bulkhead behind us.

In the space down the driver's side next to the horse, I have a toilet. In the living, we have a fold-up stretcher bed, cupboards and seat for two. You can see there is a tack locker, but we have cut into that to put in the bed for OH to snooze on while I do the farm ride. My tack will go above the loo. My storage is the luton, which is big enough to sleep two if anyone wanted it for that. It's a joy being able to raise the ramp with one arm, or while holding a horse.

For anyone considering downgrading to a 3.5t, I would say definitely go for it as long as you can afford a relatively young one. The older ones are fairly renowned for needing work on them, they simply aren't built to last like the 7.5t are. I was afraid it would lack power, but even with the 'smaller' 2.3 engine I have a gear in hand on steep hills with the horse on board. I have wanted this for three years. I wish now I'd done it earlier.

Now I have a little van I can buzz off to all my friends and hugely expand where I can go for a nice quiet traffic free hack. It's going to change my life for the better :)

Did you have a 7.5 before this one, as I am not sure if you did and downsizing as title or if this is your first, saving for it without putting the bigger towards i. Which ever - well done and congrats and hope you have many successful outings in it.

Can we see some photos of the inside, I love seeing in other lorries the layout.

ycbm

Visit site
Did you have a 7.5 before this one, as I am not sure if you did and downsizing as title or if this is your first, saving for it without putting the bigger towards i. Which ever - well done and congrats and hope you have many successful outings in it.

Can we see some photos of the inside, I love seeing in other lorries the layout.

I still have a 7.5 ! Does anyone want to buy it, I need to restore my rainy day fund a bit :D ?

ycbm

Visit site
Lovely lorry, I too have a 3.5 and without it I wouldn't be riding as it's perfect to go out and have some lovely traffic- free hacks. What's the plan for the weekend then?

Spoilt for choice! The forest bridleways, the reservoir circuit, a friend's arena, farm ride, hack from friend's. I think a solo trip to the forest a mile away will probably do nicely :) I don't ride to it because there is a nightmare steep straight piece of road used as a short cut, which I have renamed 'murder mile' because it's so dangerous.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I think that.
1, It is very sad that you cannot enjoy buying something on here without people sniping at you for spending your OH's money, and that you need to explain that you saved this up yourself. It is a horse forum, we are all richer than normal on here with a relatively massive disposable income (those of us who have a horse, anyway). Be happy!
2. We call them 'baker's vans' and I have always thought they looked fab. Have fun!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
You will love it. I treated myself to a 3.5t when I inherited a little bit of money, its my absolute dream to have my own horse and my own transport. Now me and my little hipo can box up and go hacking where there is no traffic, hubby sometimes joins us for a fry up, have a little kitchen area in the back. I had to wait until I was 50 to achieve my dream and Im loving it. Whether you have a rich OH or not is totally irrelevant and noone elses business, enjoy your little truck and your adventures in it :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think that.
1, It is very sad that you cannot enjoy buying something on here without people sniping at you for spending your OH's money, and that you need to explain that you saved this up yourself. It is a horse forum, we are all richer than normal on here with a relatively massive disposable income (those of us who have a horse, anyway). Be happy!
2. We call them 'baker's vans' and I have always thought they looked fab. Have fun!

I wasn't going to respond to this deliberately stirring thread but seeing as this has now been said I'm not going to let everyone think YCBM is some sort of victim.

No one has sniped at YCBM for having anything. YCBM starts quite a lot of threads in the Club House denigrating public sector workers saying things along the lines of that they're overpaid, have fabulous working conditions and their pensions are marvellous, they retire too early and they don't basically work as hard as she has. That's what the snipe was about. I see it is still bothering her - good!

I couldn't care less what other people have that I don't, many of my friends have as much if not more than YCBM but what they don't do is act like they're gods gift to the world which is why they have it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
enjoy your new wheels. I absolutely love mine (though it is ancient... >20 years old but only done 60 000 miles so mechanically pretty good :p)

At some point I will scale up to a 7.5t as more comfortable for overnighters but it just changed my life getting transport, I love every trip in it, cranky old thing that it is.

ycbm

Visit site
Please could you PM me too with name as considering doing something similar when we don't have our 17.1 any more

Done.

I've got some inside pictures, but since Google did an operating system upgrade, I can't get any pictures to load anywhere! Well done Google :D.

ycbm

Visit site
We had this modification done - a hole cut into the tack locker so that we can use this folding stretcher to sleep on. It folds down into a neat bundle three feet long and a few inches wide and stores away easily. I don't need the tack locker because I have so much space in the luton and horse area.

IMG_20170922_183732.jpg

And this is the horse area. I had additional fixing holes put in to allow the move of the partition to the right, which just by chance also allowed us to slant it enough to make them happy with their positioning. The luton doors clip to the ceiling, the whole thing is extremely well designed. The loo is on the floor, back right. I have a demountable saddle pole to put on just below the door above the loo.

IMG_20170922_183915.jpg

Last edited:

Spottyappy

Visit site
Hope you have years of fun.
Life is for living and while it shouldn't take the death of a close friend or family member to make us realise, it often does. Your friend, I'm sure, would be pleased you have had something positive come out of her sad loss.

oldie48

Visit site
I traded down to a 3.5ton 8 years ago (reluctantly, I might add) and I bought my 2nd one a few months ago. I love them. My horses loves them. My OH loves them as they don't clog up the drive and I love them because they are cheap to run and easy to drive. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine and as I only ever travel one horse and have bought from a reputable company I also feel quite safe too.