Magnet boots . . . . .

natz

Visit site
Going to camp soon, and my old girlie (shes 23!) is fit and well, but I would like to get her some boots as we will be doing alot of sj and xc (depending on ground!lol!)
I'd also like to use them at night during the winter, as she is stabled for longer periods - I quite like the N.E.W ones, and have seen some nice lookin aerborn ones, bit spoilt for choice really!!!
Reccommendations please!!!
grin.gif

Thankies in advance!
smile.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Complete bl**dy waste of money. Will pm you the science as Ive posted it before and don't want to bore people. Personally I'd be inclined to invest in some joint supplements, cooling gel/clay and some decent, comfy well fitting boots but I wouldn't pay extra for something with magnets.

natz

Visit site
cheers hun! Thats just saved me about £60 at least!! Shes on Extra Flex by Feedmark, seeing great results - but keep thinking I should do more!! Thats the prob with working with top eventers - wrap them up in cotton wool and the most ridiculous booties and bandages ''just because!!'' now ive started doing the same to my girl!! lol!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Like I say it is my opinion. Dad has also read loads of papers on them and there are some manufacturers being taken to court for false advertising as scientifically there is no evidence of them doing anything! But then the placebo effect is a wonderful thing!

Beanyowner

Visit site
I agree with Jentilly...waste of money. Do a search of previous posts on here and the Vet section and you will probably find our past discussions on the subject!
laugh.gif

Malibu

Visit site
all i will say is that magnets work wonders and if they cost 20, 60 500 pounds they are worht every penny, horses cant lie or pretend so if they help an injury they really do and the horses is not faking it! good luck and have fun at camp

Kezza

Visit site
friends horse got a cut in the field, leg swollen like a balloon. Put magnetic boot son and 20 mins later, swelling gone so yes in my opinion they work.

I use the armadillo straps on my boys hinds, just above his fetlocks overnight in the stable as he can get a little fluid build up there from time to time.

The NEW ones tend to spin round, Veredus are ice but overheat legs in summer and my boy destroyed his in 6 months.

The straps are great but had to put more velcro on them as they kept coming off.

MagicMelon

Visit site
They ARE worth a go. I have Bioflow boots and have fitted an "Equimagnets patch into each one. They help bring down my boys windgalls.

Also, I know someone who uses N.E.W magnetic ones on their old horse, the horses legs always swelled up in the stable - they say these have been amazing and swelling no longer happens!!

So they DO work. You just need to find the right magnets etc. I dont really like my Bioflow boots just because they make their legs sweat a bit in hot weather so I dotn use them on these days.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I totally agree with the science.

However - and this is however, in Cairo's case they worked extremely well. He wears magnetic straps 24 x 7 and has done so for the past year.

Before his straps he was very lame and requiring 4 bute a day - put the straps on and within a week his bute was halved and within 2 weeks was off bute and has never had bute since. He went from a stumbling walk to being able to gallop and jump on soft ground again.

He has low ringbone diagnosed by x-rays so it was not a case of a bump making him sore that naturally went away.

For him, they worked and I never remove them and he stays sounds nearly all the time (can go pottery on very hard rough ground) and without having to have bute at all.

The one time I did take them off, within two days he was pottery and within a week lame again. Put them back on and he improved back to his old self within the week.

Magic?????

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You just need to find the right magnets

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm?? Explain? Magnets pretty well all work in the same way - the only variables are are the electrically induced or natural and their strength, and the sort of magnets used in these products are pretty much all the same strength (or atleast of the same magnitude!) and so even if they did have an effect (which is scientifically impossible) how would the type of magnet make a difference??

And for those who say that wearing the boots in a stable stopped legs swelling - perhaps its the effect of hving a supportive boot which is doing this, just as a stable bandage would. As for windgalls - where's your control? How do you know they wouldn't have gone away anyway? My girls windgalls have been coming and going all summer with the hard ground.

Kezza

Visit site
I have straps so they are not done up tightly so my boy gets no support from his magnetic straps, only magnetic therapy...

He suffers with fluid if I don't use them, and not if I do!!!

Also friends horse who came in with cut and swollen leg... swelling went down within 20 mins of putting straps on. As they were mine, she couldn't use them for long so when she removed them, swelling returned so she would borrow them again next day and it would reduce!

There is my proof anyway

Ginn

Visit site
Well in that case could you please explain to me how you believe "magnetic therapy" works as Im intrigued.....

Kezza

Visit site
I think I just did?????

I took advice from others and tried it for myself and it worked, it also worked for my friends horse who had an injury whereas my boys problems are more old age and ongoing ....

:)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Sorry, thats what I meant - not all magnets are the same, they differ in strength etc. like you say. I am not a pro on magnets, I just know when I was looking for magentic boots, some adverts said "1,000 Gauss deep pentrating and fast acting North pole (healing & sedating effect) ceramic magnets" whereas others differed.

No, the horse who's swelling legs went down with magnetic boots - they horse had worn normal supportive "stable" boots all winter (when stabled overnight) with no effect and bandages the year before. Id say it was pretty odd that suddenly upon using magentic boots, the swelling has gone down dramatically!! To the point, the horse doesnt even have to wear the boots every single night.

Whats my control with the windgalls? Well, the fact that during hot, dry periods of the summer my horses windgalls are really puffed up. And permanently until the ground softens up again. There's nothing which brings them down during this time except his magnetic boots. Like I said, they don't "just go down" on their own accord UNLESS the ground softens up with a change in the weather OR I use these boots.

You seem a little heated over this topic. Just because they haven't worked for you or you don't believe in them, doesn't mean they do not work. I find it odd that something as simple as magnets can help at all, but in using them Ive found they do.

Im planning to buy some magnetic wraps to try to bring down one of my boys capped hocks!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Kezza - remember not to let your friend use the magnetic boots OVER any cuts. Magnets are meant to work by boosting blood circulation so there's always warnings on them NOT to use them on cuts!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
10???? Go for it - do you have a magnetic alarm post?????
grin.gif

Still waiting for the rest of your very interesting article. I have really enjoyed reading your explanations.

I totally agree with everything you say - never argue with someone who is as knowledgeable as you.

Still - hence my explanation of magic
wink.gif
for trying to work out with Mr C what the straps do. I did take them off again - and bugger me if he started to go lame within a few days - put them back on and he goes sound.
confused.gif

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Magnets are meant to work by boosting blood circulation

[/ QUOTE ]

But my question was how? If you can give me a reasonable explaination as to how and why they work (not what ailments they have supposedly sorted out) then I will back down and say no more....

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"1,000 Gauss deep pentrating and fast acting North pole (healing & sedating effect) ceramic magnets"

[/ QUOTE ]

Fancy words - did you understand what any of it means?

Im not against people using magnets - I am against the companies who produce them falsely making unjustified claims and charging extorsionate(sp) sums of money for something which a) In my opinion doesn't work and b)one could easily make oneself using some ordinary boots and some 20p magnets from a hardware store.

I also beleive that people shouldn't just use things because they beleive they work without understanding how they work. Just because it apparently makes one thing better who's to say, if those of us using such products are not aware of how they work, why they work and potentially what other effects they have, that no other harm is being done? Scientifically, assuming that the blood feels a force or effect from the magnetic then by puttting them on ourselves or our animals we are inviting large blood clots in the surrounding area which, if it were the case, is potentially life threatening.....

Evadiva1514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I also beleive that people shouldn't just use things because they beleive they work without understanding how they work.

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH I'm not really interested in how they work, i first used magnetic wraps on my horse after he had suffered from a fractured sidebone and various other degenerative joint problems mainly due to his age... I bought the wraps to try to help him, and if they had no effect i wasn't too bothered i would have found something else for him.

However in this case it did work!! Over a period of time he became sounder and more flexible and freer in his movement and i now have a sound happy 17 year old that is capable of competing again. I would definitely use them again on another horse and in fact my father has found magnet therapy very beneficial on an old injury that causes him a great deal of pain.

I maybe wrong here, but wasn't there something in the news recently about the use of magnets in the NHS... surely if they are that useless the government wouldn't be spending x amount of pounds into introducing this type of treatment??

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Who's said that the use of magnets causes harm. More experienced people than you or i are using them daily and seeing a benefit so i can't see the problem to be honest. And for your information it was suggested by my vet that i go down this method of alternative therapy, who's opinion and expertise i trust implicitly.

So are you saying you know how bute, ACP, cortaflex, MSM, etc etc works... if you do you are one very clever little lady!!! Or are lucky or inexperienced enough to have never used them!!!

smokeybabes

Visit site
I don't currently use any of those products at the moment and since having my own horse haven't used those products, though they have been used by owners on past ponies i've loaned.
I'm not saying magnets do definately do any harm, but nobody seems to be justifying how they work.
Which part of a human or horse is magnetic and would benefit from the magnets? Blood, bone, tendons, muscles??
If we're not magnetic what effect are magnets going to have on the body?

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Err i'm no scientist, but i always thought that everything was subjected to magnetic forces..... maybe i'm wrong!!!
crazy.gif
confused.gif

I suggest you have a look on this website - www.simplymagnetic.com for the answers you are obviously looking for. Back to the original thread which seems to have been sidetracked by science, after using them on my horses for several years now i believe they work and would happily buy additional magnet therapy items.
smile.gif

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So are you saying you know how bute, ACP, cortaflex, MSM, etc etc works...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me me me!!! I do!
grin.gif
Which is why a few of us on here have some sort of idea why magnets couldn't really work. There is no scientific evidence to say they do or don't work as results have been seen by the lay horse owner many a time as some of you on here have stated. Could it be that by applying wraps/boots you have just put on a supportive bandage...or perhaps you are suddenly walking the horse out every day now to see if the magnets have made a difference...something which wasn't done before you applied the magnetic boots.

As Jentilly said there is no way of controlling the situations to prove that it was the magnets that have made the improvement to the horse.

If they seem to have worked for your horse...hurrah
laugh.gif
But there is still no proof that they work.

Can I ask, when you used these boots was your horse on any other medication or treatment for the injury you were using the magnetic boots for?!?