Many tears rescue

fankino04

Visit site
Anyone have any experiences with many tears rescue, a client is applying to adopt from them ( lots of hoops to jump through), I know I've heard of them but not sure if it was for a good or bad reason...

windand rain

Visit site
Yes still rehome from puppy farms my issue with them was you had to have an older settled friendly dog already don't know if thats still the case or not

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think the issue was that they were taking and rehoming animals from puppy farms, once they were of no more use or could not sell, and it was being seen by some as facilitating/enabling the puppy farmers. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

It’s the reason they were set up in the first place, in response initially to the puppy farm epidemic in West Wales, and the disgaurding of unwanted breeding bitches and stud dogs to less than savoury fates.

Widgeon

Visit site
I can see why people feel that rehoming "used" breeding bitches etc from the puppy farms is facilitating the industry, but the people behind the rescue are surely between a rock and a hard place - what are they supposed to do, just look on while horrible things happen to the old bitches? There's so much money in selling farmed puppies that I'm inclined to think it won't stop until that profit is removed somewhow. I find it hard to believe that puppy farmers would close down if there wasn't a rescue to take on their used bitches. Instead they'd surely just dispose of them in much more unpleasant ways.

(sorry OP, no help to you as I have no experience of this rescue, I just thought it was an interesting point being raised)

fankino04

Visit site
Thanks guys, it's a puppy they are looking at adopting. They already have a lovely but sharp gsd, I'm hoping that adding a pup rather than grown up to the home means that the resident dog will put it in its place a bit more gently than she would an adult. She loves to play but plays very rough and does not take well to other dogs telling her off. She often makes me wonder if she has some malinoise in her as she switches so quickly (has all black face and red everywhere else too). Bit concerned that too much playing with a puppy might be too much for her dodgy hips too but have mentioned it and owner will ask physios opinion, so we'll see what happens.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Thanks guys, it's a puppy they are looking at adopting. They already have a lovely but sharp gsd, I'm hoping that adding a pup rather than grown up to the home means that the resident dog will put it in its place a bit more gently than she would an adult. She loves to play but plays very rough and does not take well to other dogs telling her off. She often makes me wonder if she has some malinoise in her as she switches so quickly (has all black face and red everywhere else too). Bit concerned that too much playing with a puppy might be too much for her dodgy hips too but have mentioned it and owner will ask physios opinion, so we'll see what happens.

I've read your post a couple of times and still not sure what you are asking, so I apologise if I have things wrong.

I wouldn't be letting a sharp GSD put any dog or pup "in its place". Owner needs to step up and supervise interactions whether it be new dog or pup joining the family.

If the GSD is in pain from her hips then she will be even less tolerant.

To be frank, from your description, I wouldn't recommend adding another dog or pup to the household, I don't think it would be fair to either resident dog or new pup.

Squeak

Visit site
Yes still rehome from puppy farms my issue with them was you had to have an older settled friendly dog already don't know if thats still the case or not

I used to foster for them and some of the more confident dogs you could rehome by themselves.

Eta I think they do some brilliant work, some of the dogs we fostered had obviously come from very bad situations and they went on to have wonderful homes, most of which we kept in touch with. However I did find that they were some times a bit excessive with the hoops that they made people jump through to be able to adopt a dog and I think that might have got more so since.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well that's an improvement on those who want the rehomed dog to be the only pet in a household. IME (and we have rehomed several adult dogs) they do best when there is a resident dog to show them how to go on.

MissTyc

Visit site

I know it's not your family, but please please make sure they learn about how to introduce the puppy to the older dog. This might take several months and no "telling off" should ever happen. My terrier is similar to the dog you describe. I went the opposite route and got an older super dog friendly rescue. And it was great as she already had all the language to deal with him and also knew not to take him tooo seriously. Unfortunately there were other concerns and she was not suitable for our home, sadly. So we went the puppy route, with an 8-week old. Then lived separate lives for alost 3 months, me upstairs with the puppy and my husband downstairs with the older dog. Protecting her from witnessing my older dog's grumps was our only priority in those months, but we were utterly exhausted by it all. Worth it, as she's now 10 months old, a lovely sociable dog who knows how to diffuse a grumpy old terrier without getting herself in trouble.

fankino04

Visit site
I've read your post a couple of times and still not sure what you are asking, so I apologise if I have things wrong.

I wouldn't be letting a sharp GSD put any dog or pup "in its place". Owner needs to step up and supervise interactions whether it be new dog or pup joining the family.

If the GSD is in pain from her hips then she will be even less tolerant.

To be frank, from your description, I wouldn't recommend adding another dog or pup to the household, I don't think it would be fair to either resident dog or new pup.
That's why I said to the owner that I think she should check with physio / vet what they think before going ahead. When I say " put pup in its place" I just mean in the normal way that an older dog will accept a puppy being bouncy up to a point and then say that's enough, not attack it or anything dramatic.

windand rain

Visit site
Only issue for me was we live in a small house and had just lost our only dog I absolutely agree that they do a wonderful job but may not be for everyone as not everyone has a huge house and another dog. They didn't offer a single dog/bitch at the time just said it was a pity we didn't still have a dog as otherwise it was perfect home

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Only issue for me was we live in a small house and had just lost our only dog I absolutely agree that they do a wonderful job but may not be for everyone as not everyone has a huge house and another dog. They didn't offer a single dog/bitch at the time just said it was a pity we didn't still have a dog as otherwise it was perfect home

I can imagine, though, that a bitch who has lived all her life surrounded by other dogs in some kind of kennel set-up would really struggle with being asked to be an only dog living in a house. So it wouldn't have been kind to expect that.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I know it's not your family, but please please make sure they learn about how to introduce the puppy to the older dog. This might take several months and no "telling off" should ever happen. My terrier is similar to the dog you describe. I went the opposite route and got an older super dog friendly rescue. And it was great as she already had all the language to deal with him and also knew not to take him tooo seriously. Unfortunately there were other concerns and she was not suitable for our home, sadly. So we went the puppy route, with an 8-week old. Then lived separate lives for alost 3 months, me upstairs with the puppy and my husband downstairs with the older dog. Protecting her from witnessing my older dog's grumps was our only priority in those months, but we were utterly exhausted by it all. Worth it, as she's now 10 months old, a lovely sociable dog who knows how to diffuse a grumpy old terrier without getting herself in trouble.

Blimey, that’s a long time to keep the puppy separate. Mine aren’t left alone with the older dog and for the first time I had to use my ‘monster’ teacher voice tonight to the older boy who was annoyed at Goose, but they’ve interacted from day one. It’s very sweet to see them piled up together, although Bear can take himself off upstairs if he wants respite, puppies aren’t allowed up there.

Many Tears is a funny one, I doubt, as mentioned, that the puppy farms would care where the ex-breeders went so it wouldn’t stop them if MT stopped taking them. The concept that they’re allowed by the Welsh government just astonishes me. It’s put me off moving to Carmarthen despite much better prices on that side of the border. Probably very hypocritical of me, given I wouldn’t worry about a livestock farm next door.

misst

Visit site
I know someone who has rehomed a couple of their dogs and got super little terrier crosses both times. They did have other dogs each time. I would consider going through them but it is a long journey from Surrey. I have not heard anything bad about them.

Squeak

Visit site
I know someone who has rehomed a couple of their dogs and got super little terrier crosses both times. They did have other dogs each time. I would consider going through them but it is a long journey from Surrey. I have not heard anything bad about them.

Fosterers are spread throughout the country so you may find they have a couple of dogs that are much closer to you.

misst

Visit site
Fosterers are spread throughout the country so you may find they have a couple of dogs that are much closer to you.
Thank you I will bear that in mind next time as I thought you had to go to Wales to rehome! Not that I hope to be looking in the near future as two young dogs at present :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Blimey, that’s a long time to keep the puppy separate. Mine aren’t left alone with the older dog and for the first time I had to use my ‘monster’ teacher voice tonight to the older boy who was annoyed at Goose, but they’ve interacted from day one. It’s very sweet to see them piled up together, although Bear can take himself off upstairs if he wants respite, puppies aren’t allowed up there.

Many Tears is a funny one, I doubt, as mentioned, that the puppy farms would care where the ex-breeders went so it wouldn’t stop them if MT stopped taking them. The concept that they’re allowed by the Welsh government just astonishes me. It’s put me off moving to Carmarthen despite much better prices on that side of the border. Probably very hypocritical of me, given I wouldn’t worry about a livestock farm next door.

I think it depends on the dogs concerned. We kept our Rott separated from the Lab pups,using crates in the same room and leads in the garden for about a months because she was so excited and clumsy and yet we allowed her to interact more closely with friend's Lab pup than the 2 yr old Labs at first. She knew about pups by then and hadn't just lost her sister. Then one of the Labs was frightened of the pup, so that took a bit longer still

Visit site
Thanks for this thread, I was considering fostering but most rescues wouldnt allow it if you already had a dog. My spaniel is a rescue puppy farm bitch !

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It says this on their website, which I kind of think is fair enough:

''PLEASE NOTE: We nearly always home dogs who have come from breeders where there is ALREADY A RESIDENT DOG living in the house. They have usually never lived in a house before and are only used to canine company. They usually get their confidence and learn faster with another dog to copy from. This also helps with house training and learning how to walk on a lead. They will make lovely pets but do need a lot of love, time and patience. If the ex breeding dog you are interested in can be an only dog it will say so in its write up. Please read our information on ADOPTING EX-BREEDING DOGS before you apply. ''

Poor soul, look at her little face - https://www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=32620

blodwyn1

Visit site
I also looked and saw Harvey the red and white setter and several others that look so lovely but my Goldie is eleven and when we lost our cocker we found he seems to like being an only dog better so don't thinkl we can get another one.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It’s your fault I looked and … ?. What a lovely looking/sounding girl ❤️
https://www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=32474

Oops, sorrynotsorry. She’s lovely, are you going to enquire? What an amazing life she’d have with you!

I also looked and saw Harvey the red and white setter and several others that look so lovely but my Goldie is eleven and when we lost our cocker we found he seems to like being an only dog better so don't thinkl we can get another one.

Yeah, I thought that about my 11 year old and then got 2 puppies. He’s coping well!

fankino04

Visit site
Well they got him, adult dog is being very tolerant ( actually probably too tolerant lol). They spoke to rescue and vets about the current dogs hip problems and what provisions they would make for differing exercise needs now and in the future etc before going ahead so have gone in with their eyes open. They are making sure pup has time in his pen separated from B so she gets a break from him and getting them used to being walked together and separately so if in the future they need totally separate walks they won't stress about being separated. Apart from toilet training not going so well ( but it's early days and poor pup has had a lot of upheaval in his short life) it's going well.Screenshot_20220214-141458_Gallery.jpg