Many tears rescue

some show

Visit site
That one you posted says 'He is an active, busy boy with a sharp brain so he needs an active home where he will get the exercise and training he needs. He is a typical lab in that everything goes in his mouth and he loves to carry things around' - sounds like a perfect candidate for a working home then!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Guide Dogs use their own in-house breeding programme mostly. They need really sedate dogs. Even something that walks too fast can rule them out. If you've seen the video, they're really busy.

So ideal for working homes, then?!

View attachment 87726
This was on a fb group

Much kudos to the poster! So what if she’s vegan? What has that to do with what is best for over 50 labs?? Bonkers. It’s putting me (even more) off MT.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
So ideal for working homes, then?!

Yep, which is what I initially said was my impression of the video. But probably way too busy for Guide Dogs.
The problem is that a lot of people look but don't see, to paraphrase David Hockney!!

Would they preclude a home where the dog was doing obedience, agility, rally, scurry, mantrailing, working trials, bikejoring, Cani X etc, as long as no animals were harmed? Or is the idea of any working/sports deemed cruel?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Although a good few years ago now I enquired about rehoming a Siberian husky from a local RSPCA centre and their prohibitions at the time included bikejoring and canicross. The agility I was at the centre participating in at the time would have been fine though. ? I too am curious where MT draw their line and why, as above they are entitled to their opinion but it seems a crashing shame for a bunch of busy happy dogs that would probably benefit from a job.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I lost one of my boys unexpectedly a few days ago and desperately want to rescue another (my boy I lost was a rescue I got 5 years ago and was the best thing I ever did).

However I've given up trying and genuinely feel like my only option is to buy. Aside from the fact there seem to be very few dogs left to adopt (which IS brilliant), their ridiculous requirements and close-mindedness makes it impossible - even for someone like me who has experience with difficult types and is willing to take on a last chance dog. If anyone knows of any pound contacts rather than going through a rescue please PM me.

Clodagh

Visit site
I lost one of my boys unexpectedly a few days ago and desperately want to rescue another (my boy I lost was a rescue I got 5 years ago and was the best thing I ever did).

However I've given up trying and genuinely feel like my only option is to buy. Aside from the fact there seem to be very few dogs left to adopt (which IS brilliant), their ridiculous requirements and close-mindedness makes it impossible - even for someone like me who has experience with difficult types and is willing to take on a last chance dog. If anyone knows of any pound contacts rather than going through a rescue please PM me.
Well I’d try MT if you like labs!
I’m pleased to see they are now a registered charity.
Failing that there’s so many older pups on free ads sites I’d go on there.

nagblagger

Visit site
Dumb question Irishmilo, are you in Ireland? We got our 2 rescues (at different times) from Inistioge puppy rescue, they do older dogs as well, one of ours hadn't even made it into the rescue but was due in the next day, they gave us the owners details so we liaised with them direct and brought him home! Kilkenny/carlow pound didn't have anything suitable for our situation at the time but had a few in. Waterford pound never got back to us.!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

I'm sorry to hear that. Try MT, you never know. They have said, tho, rather weirdly, to not contact them about the labs! I'm hoping that was only yesterday when they were short staffed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
How odd. Could they have been inundated with offers of homes?

They said they had 1200 emails on Friday! I imagine a lot of people think ready made dog, labradors are easy, I’ll have one! They’ve said the ones for adoption will be on the website. To be fair to MT, they do go into detail about each dog they have.

I’d still love to know how they have that many, must surely be from a puppy farm?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I’d still love to know how they have that many, must surely be from a puppy farm?

From Godfrey's description, link in earlier post.

"He has come to us with a number of other labs who were bred to become service dogs, however, the situation changed and this did not happen so they are now all here looking for loving forever homes."

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
From Godfrey's description, link in earlier post.

"He has come to us with a number of other labs who were bred to become service dogs, however, the situation changed and this did not happen so they are now all here looking for loving forever homes."

I cannot imagine breeding over 50 dogs destined for the service industry. Call me suspicious!

The website is very slow to load, probably due to high traffic and there’s an announcement saying ‘We are not taking applications for labradors’. It goes on to say they’ll contact previous applicants. I’m guessing they’ve been absolutely inundated.