Mares vs geldings. Can't believe I'm converted

windand rain

Visit site
Jusst the opposite in our house lovely calm and mostly female except OH, cat canary and one gelding the oh is a grumpy sod, the cat is vicious, the canary killed all the other birds in the aviary and the gelding is a dangerous and would kill you as soon as look at you so I guess I have good cause to prefer the females I have around. Labrador is a wonderful girl, the mares are kindness itself and of course I am perfect and wouldnt hurt a fly :)

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
A good horse is a good horse regardless of gender. However having only had mares, I would be slightly worried that I wouldn't have a bond with a gelding like I have with my mare. I trust mares more as in my experience they are more intuitive & will go out of their way to look after you.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've given this a lot of thought, especially as I was anti mare (for my own horse, I could still think other people's mares were nice but didn't want to own one) and am not now. And my conclusion is that mares are a lot like human women. Some of them are bonkers and are the kind of mare that will not only hate you because of your shoes, but try and get all her friends to hate you too. I freely admit that I can't deal with that type of woman, or horse. Seems that a good mare will be your best friend, and my best female friends have seen me through more than my male friends, even if the men are easier to be around! I was always worried about ending up with the former!

My girl is like me, we don't really have mood swings although we do like to flirt with the boys. She is my friend and won't ditch me because Peter from class a2 said I had funny eyebrows.

Haha, perfect! So true.

I do like mares. But there has to be a bond there, if not some can be a pain! I have a lovely gelding too, who is much easier going and gives the best cuddles!

I don't look at mares only when viewing horses, both sexes are fab really.

misskk88

Visit site
Have owned both gelding and mare. Both have been equally loving and special horses.

Except with my gelding he loves everyone and wants to be your best friend. With my mare, you have to earn her respect and love. Which I kind of like! If I haven't been down for a few days (full livery) she totally strops at me- to the point where she refuses to greet me like she usually does! I bonded with both, but I think my gelding would have bonded with anyone that loved him, gave him a good scratch and fed him polos.

soulfull

Visit site
Have owned both gelding and mare. Both have been equally loving and special horses.

Except with my gelding he loves everyone and wants to be your best friend. With my mare, you have to earn her respect and love. Which I kind of like! If I haven't been down for a few days (full livery) she totally strops at me- to the point where she refuses to greet me like she usually does! I bonded with both, but I think my gelding would have bonded with anyone that loved him, gave him a good scratch and fed him polos.

This is how I feel too. The last gelding I had was friendly to anyone. But at the same time it was a shallow relationship, he didn't care who looked after him. But Fi does, while she is perfectly behaved for anyone she doesn't really relax or offer cuddles to just anyone.

becca1305

Visit site
I used to have geldings as was taught when younger that geldings were 'simpler' and 'easier' to have/ ride. However once older and with more experience I discarded this notion and by chance ended up with a mare. I now have 3 mares and all are fabulous! All have different personalities, and I think it takes a bit longer to build the bond with a mare, but once it's there I've found they will dig that little bit deeper for you :).

The other day I was discussing purchasing another youngster a bit down the line, and whether or not I'd buy a gelding now. My initial reaction was 'no' but then I reconsidered and said I would look at geldings as it could just be coincidence that I click so well with my mares, but I must admit my gut pulls me more towards having another girly next.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have always been a gelding person.
But 6 months ago I bought a welsh cob chestnut mare and what can I say. She is perfect. So sweet, perfect manners
The gentlest creature I've ever met
She is also extremely loving

To a point I've had that with my geldings. But what I haven't had is that she is wonderful to ride. Gives her all, always tries to please.
The geldings I've had if they didn't understand what was asked they would do nothing, she always offers something, even if it isn't quite right
She is forward thinking, sensitive and even gentle to ride :)

If she has come into season I haven't noticed lol

Truly amazing :):) so there you have it. I'm converted

Obviously she can have the odd moment but so far it's only when she just can't contain her excitement. She bounces, spins etc won't stand still for the judge. BUT I'm sure as we get out more she will settle. She is perfect in the dressage it's just the excitement of showing (she knows she is going to gallop) lol

I would only every buy mares, and have always brought mares would not have it any other way.
love my boy dearly , but he is a git - a d1ckhead sometimes - and throws his teddy out the pram- roll on mares

Last edited:

soulfull

Visit site
I would only every buy mares, and have always brought mares would not have it any other way.
love my boy dearly , but he is a git - a d1ckhead sometimes - and throws his teddy out the pram- roll on mares

That's how it seems to me too. However would never turn down a good horse because of sex

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've only ever had one gelding as a riding horse.

He was adorable...just like a giant labrador puppy. I've never in my life felt a bond like it on the ground. I honestly believe he would have walked over hot coals for me.

Unfortunately, it all fell apart when I rode him. He just couldn't think for himself at all. He needed so much guidance that riding him just wasn't fun. It became a bit of a chore in the end. :(

Mares may not always make the right decisions and they may be a little opinionated from time to time but I still prefer riding my mares to the little gelding.

Having said all that, though I generally prefer mares, I wouldn't turn down a decent gelding if one came along. I'd just make sure he was a bit more forward thinking the geldings I've experienced in the past. :)

Meems

Visit site
I've never understood the mares are inferior to geldings logic. I own a mare and a shared a mare for five years - it wasn't a conscious decision they just happened to be mares.

You get 'nice' and 'not so nice' horses and ponies of both genders.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Love my geldings, never had a mare, wouldn't have one.

Would you have a stallion (if you had the right facilities and were capable of handling one - no insult intended, I have no idea how experienced you are with stallions or not)?

I'm just wondering if your problem with mares is that they are entire, like stallions or if it's plain old sexism and you just don't want a female horse?

BBP

Visit site
I don't really get the prejudice for either gender. I have a gelding, he is sharp, sensitive, tries ridiculously hard to answer any question you ask and he'll keep trying til he gets the right answer but his feelings are easily hurt! We have the best bond and I wouldn't trade him for anything. Maybe he is a girl is disguise! My previous pony was a mare and she was also just brilliant. I'm glad op that you've found a super horse, it just goes to show the are all brilliant once they find the right person!

Tia0513

Visit site
I've had both but mainly geldings. My late gelding was definately more difficult than my current mare. Both very effectionate though. I wouldn't rule out one or the other gender if I had to buy another.

Amyree

Visit site
Very interesting to read all of this. I am on the lookout for my daughter's second pony as sadly she is outgrowing our fantastic little gelding. He is on loan from my friend who's daughter is now outgrowing her second pony and has offered her to me on loan. She is a stunning Connemara who is very good to handle, lovely to ride, very responsive (have ridden her myself) and can jump. Perfect!! Problem is, she has in the last year got so silly around other geldings that my she wound my friend's 16.2 up so much he kicked her, caught her under the chin which resulted in a multiple-fractured jaw, a massive operation and months of recovery..... I have 4 other geldings and am loathe to upset the balance, but also feel its a shame to pass on such a good pony. What do you think???

risky business

Visit site
Iv had more mares than geldings and even if the mare is a good horse I still don't really get on with them. I always bond with geldings right away, but iv never had that with a mare always simply always been business partners not friends or any sort of unison!

paulineh

Visit site
I have had all three and at the moment I have 3 geldings and 2 mares. What you have to remember and that is that a mare is an entire as much as a stallion is so needs to be treated the same.

I am looking for a youngster in the next year or so and if the right Colt/Stallion/Mare or Gelding comes along then I will buy that one. To me each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Mine all live in a herd and apart from having a Colt/Stallion the new one would join that herd. If I end up buying an entire male then one of my geldings would live with him.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Amyree - I have a mix of geldings and mares turned out together and they're fine. With the mare that you are interested in, did the owner try her on regumate or have marble put in? I would definitely explore the options before discounting a mare that's perfect in every other way. If she isn't right for you, it wouldn't put me off looking at other mares.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I'm sure there are lovely mares, but I've only had experiences of awful ones! stubborn, moody and difficult. All of my geldings have been brilliant, do as they're told and try their hardest, so I always buy geldings now.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Another convert here. Before my mare who I lost last year, I always had geldings. When I got her, I had actually advertised for a gelding, and I still can't explain what made me drive for 3 hours to view her and to put a deposit down then and there, though I'm so glad I did. Now I am definitely a mare person and it seemed only natural to go for a filly when I bought my new girl. She too is proving to be a real character.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I've had good mares and good geldings. I've also had awful mares and awful geldings.

I think it's more about if you "click" with the horse rather than it's age, height, breed or colour!

This.
Our first horse was a gelding, he retired from a hard-working life as a driven horse in summer and an occasional RS horse in summer. He was great to ride, taught us a lot about keeping horses and looked after us well. He was always quite reserved, except with small children.
Our 2nd horse happened to be a mare and we have only had mares since because we need to keep all our horses together. Most of the mares we have had have been demonstrably affectionate but one in particular who had been driven by a man and given the occasional ridden lesson was also quite reserved, except with small children.
Ime, horses are individuals, regardless of their gender and respond accordingly to individual humans.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We have had 5 mares but now have two geldings and two old mares. All have their strengths and weaknesses. The boys definitely seem to have less going on the grey matter department than the ladies, but then again perhaps its their age, 5 & 6 for the boys and 25 & 26 for the ladies, perhaps with age comes wisdom. If looking for another gender wouldn't come into the decision at all.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sure there are lovely mares, but I've only had experiences of awful ones! stubborn, moody and difficult. All of my geldings have been brilliant, do as they're told and try their hardest, so I always buy geldings now.

I think that might be the key to why different riders prefer either mares or geldings you really do have to 'ask a mare' in the vast majority of cases whilst you can indeed 'tell a gelding'.

blitznbobs

Visit site
i have a gelding and a mare I don't think one is 'better' than the other - my gelding is a big wuss I can push about and my mare 's is much tougher but wants to do anything for me - it is a subtle difference but very real - and she's definitely not an alpha.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I have 4 mares and have to say they are all blooming fantastic but then I have a gelding as well who is also fab fab fab. Luck lucky me !

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I think that might be the key to why different riders prefer either mares or geldings you really do have to 'ask a mare' in the vast majority of cases whilst you can indeed 'tell a gelding'.

that is true in my case, even if my geldings don't want to do something, they still do it when told to- my mare on the other hand... :rolleyes: if I get her in the right mind-set then she does it for me, my geldings are consistently well behaved but require more technical riding, my mare would be a point at a jump and leave her to do the rest when she's in the mood. Unfortunately she's rarely in the mood to do that .I know that's not typical of all horses- I've met some very "marish" geldings!

MargotC

Visit site
I can't pick one over the other for the life of me!

Boils down to the individual horse regardless of gender, and your personal preference as to what horse type you work best with doesn't it. Sometimes you click with a horse and sometimes you don't.

My favourite rides have all been mares although I believe that to be coincidental as those mares happened to be the horse material available to me at the time. Reversely the worst horses I have handled and ridden have also been mares. With mares for me it's a bit of hit or miss!

I've also handled and ridden and owned some very sensible geldings. Reversely I have known geldings I wouldn't get on if I was paid to do so.

(Throwing in a good word for the stallions as well - the best vaulting horse I ever worked with was a Holsteiner stallion. I occasionally took him out for hacks and he would behave far more sensibly than the mares we rode with or passed.)