Mares what are they really like?

Chocoholic

Visit site
Just wondering what everyone’s experiences are of owning mares.
Are they all really moody?
I’ve only had two geldings many moons ago and now I’m on the hunt for a new horse I’m curious.
Please share your thoughts, good and bad

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I think that can be more sensitive. I've owned one mare and two geldings. It took me a good year to 18 months to bond with my mare, she wasn't nasty or anything but we just didn't really click that well, but once we did it was amazing and she would try to do anything for me.

She was sensitive to be groomed at times and didn't really like me faffing with her but that was it really.

HeyMich

Visit site
Mares comprise about 50% of the horse population (give or take!) and have as many personalities as you would expect, a bit like people - some are moody, some have pmt, some don't! I have known some very placid, calm, affectionate mares and geldings, and some absolute horrors of both sexes. I really don't think you can generalise!

vmac66

Visit site
Opinionated. My mare likes to voice her opinion on most things. She is good in that she will try it on but when I say no she listens and doesn't tend to push it further. The good thing is if she's not happy or in pain she let's me know very quickly. I trust her, she puts up with my nervous wobbles and when she puts her head over my shoulder for a nose scratch she's lovely. Wouldn't be without her, we just get each other.

BallyJ

Visit site
I have only ever owned mares and would actively look to buy a mare over gelding.

In my experience i love that they have character and will tell you when they don't like something but equally work so so hard for you. i liked that my mares would only ever whinny for me, all 3 were definitely mine and weren't interested in interactions with others.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
My mare is quiet and loving, she's no issue at all even when in season. I really love her self confidence and single mindedness. The last mare I had was too. My little pony mare is sweet as a nut, easy to handle, havent experienced her in season yet but i cant imagine she'll be any issue, she's no issue in any way.

I've never had a bad mare tbh.

StowfordPress

Visit site
My mares have been the best horses I’ve had. They’re more sensitive as others have said and take time to get to know. Ime mares are much smarter, you generally teach a mare something once that takes a gelding 5-6 times to understand

ABCCaitlinP

Visit site
I have two mares, polar opposites.
When I say this, I well and truly mean it, colour, personality, attitude, bravery.

They could not be further apart, Tag loves anything, if it gives her attention she adores it. However Ebony my other mare hates everything! To be fair, she doesn't hate everything, she takes a disliking to until it has proved her wrong.

I love Tag because she's so easy, I can let someone else ride her and it not be too much of an issue, but Ebony it can be difficult, she'll pull her face at someone opening her door, taking her rug off, brushing her, putting the saddle/bridle on, she will have people scared, I had a saddle fitter refuse to fit a saddle until she had been scoped as she was 100% she had ulcers as she was sensitive to being touched, I got the vet out and he watched me ski across the yard by her tanking off. He said a horse in such good condition and happy to storm off he said he didn't want to waste either of our times, scoping a horse that was sensitive to one person.

My Mum is often jealous when she eventually comes up to the yard as Ebony can still be a bit off with her (even though it's technically her horse), but I explain to her that I have spent almost 6 years bonding with this horse and I've never given up. Mares are a one person horse I well and truly believe it.

My mares picked me, I know they have because of how they are, I'm not saying Geldings can't be like this. But I won't have a gelding, that's how I feel about mares.

(p.s. I have loaned Geldings and had experience with them, I just love mares)

The Trooper

Visit site
I love my mares, both of them. I can't put my finger on why but I seem to prefer them and manage to bond with mares (and bitches) better than their male counterparts.

I wouldn't describe either of them as marish in fairness but both can get (understandably) tetchy around season time.

The first season of the year can be a bit dodgy in my experience; Belle gave me my only horsey experience of "Oh my god I could die" so far during her first season of the year whilst The Beast from the East was raging.

She knocked me on my back at a gate whilst being led in, broke away and bolted, right over the top of me. As I opened my eyes i saw her hooves passing cm's from my face, she avoided me though, I like to think it's because she reciprocates the way I feel about her back at me.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I always assumed I wanted geldings but somehow just ended up with mares. But then I realised that if I rank all the horses and ponies we have ever owned in order of preference, mares take up the top 5 spaces and geldings the bottom 5. I think I prefer mares! Having said that I can't generalise either. Amber (my number 1 obviously!) is stroppy and opinionated. Whereas Jenny (my number 2) is the sweetest ever pony. Both are clever, generous and talented though.

Sasana Skye

Visit site
My mares are the same horse 24/7 365 and I've never noticed them going into season. Both are placid, friendly, sensible, intelligent, honest to a fault, sensitive and very 'people-y'. I don't actually know what they look like with ears back so no, not all mares are moody.

I know people say a good horse is a good horse regardless of the gender but I would always choose a good mare over a good gelding.

Green Bean

Visit site
As with dogs and cats, in my opinion, geldings you tell them what to do, and mares you ask if it would be okay! Saying that, I have an opinionated mare who drives me nuts but when it is needed she ups her game and is the best horse in the world

oldie48

Visit site
Our first two horses were mares and tbh i wouldn't have known, they weren't at all mareish and I never noticed when they were in season. Then we had a succession of geldings, they have all been dead easy too but I do go for temperament above anything else. I know have a mare and she can be quite opinionated and territorial but she is probably the most affectionate horse that I've had and she is very clever. The gelding I have as her companion is basically a thug who lives to eat, but he's Welsh, nuff said! They are all different. So many people told me I'd have to treat my mare differently, negotiate with her etc but tbh there are times when she just needs to be told very firmly or she'd walk all over me and anyone else for that matter!

Winters100

Visit site
My mare is absolutely perfect in every way. Sure I am biased, but really she is super. Not spooky, totally reliable, the same every single day. When people ask me after riding 'how was she today' I have never had a single negative. To handle and ride she is the same even when in season, my only slight problem is that at the moment she seems to be so strongly in season that my other horse (a gelding) is trying to have his way with her, so for the time being they are in different paddocks.

rainni_day

Visit site
I have a mare who I have had all of 8 weeks....she is hilarious. One day she will be all over me, want ear rubs and cuddles, and the next she couldn't care less and wants nothing to do with me. She gives me 'the look' when she doesn't approve. She tries very hard to please me and when she does well she revels in praise. If I tell her off, she is mortified.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have had many mares and tbh you need to gel and get them to get the best from them IMO
I have 2 at the moment and one in particular is fantastic. She will try her heart out for you. I find them less needy than my boys and adjust to situations a lot easier then boys

Jango

Visit site
I find geldings to be more predictable and have a more set personality, whereas the two mares I've had have been a lot more variable. Some days grumpy, some days snuggly, some days forward, some days more relaxed. Whereas a grumpy, lazy gelding or a buzzy, forward one doesnt change much! Just my experience :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I always wanted a gelding and didn't even entertain the idea of a mare. Then I kept seeing my mare on various sites and fb groups and I took a chance and reap the rewards every day.

Yes she can be a madam when she's in season but then I'm not exactly a delight when I'm on my period so can't blame her for that.

But she will go above and beyond to help me and my appalling riding out. She's so affectionate and really astute to my mood, she knows when I have had a bad day.

I wouldn't rule out geldings as I know not all mares are as perfect as mine, so when I search for my next one I will basically not rule out anything until I see them. I completely believe that when you meet your heart horse you just know, regardless of sex, height, breed or colour.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Once upon a time you'd have had to have paid me to own a mare lol, but I have ridden and loaned a couple of lovely ones over the last few years.
But...I'd always have a gelding over a mare. I'm pretty shallow in that I like to be adored and fussed over by my horses and the boys are very much like that ?? The best "bonds" I've had with horses have been geldings. I personally struggle to get to grips with mares but I think that's possibly more about me than the horse to be fair. I think you have to be able to really understand them and what motivates them and I just don't seem to be able to get it.
I'm the same with dogs, love my boys but can do without bitches.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've always gotten along really well with mares, but I've never owned one. Out of all of the mares I've worked my gelding takes the cake in terms of being a QUEEN. Total queen. Total drama. In fact, I am ready for a mare. I'd welcome one. Thank the Lord this horse was gelded at age 4. He does not need to pass on the drama. He's great, and I hope to never part with him, but man.

That being said my desired breed (P.R.E.) typically breeds the mares and trains/rides the stallions and geldings. However I have noticed more and more P.R.E. mares for sale that are started under saddle or competed. So maybe by the time I am ready to look again, there will be a decent selection out there. However, I am not opposed to something not started.

I do find that mares have a better sense of what is fair and have more heart. They can be more "workmanlike" and will get the job done while geldings are too busy fooling around or still trying to understand something. If you have a good mare on your side, she'll give you her all. 100%. There are some top level competitors that actually prefer mares because of these traits.

Just thought more about it and the population at our yard is about 60% geldings or so. The loons/"special ones" of the yard are all geldings.

Re the dog thing, I've only had female dogs and prefer them.

atropa

Visit site
Mares are amazing. I always used to think I was a gelding person until bought my first mare, I now have 3. There just seems to be so much more personality to a mare and when they are on your side the bond and trust is unreal.
My 3 all have very different personalities, two of them can be quite highly strung in certain situations.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
they are all different :)
I have 4 at the moment.
I have one super difficult one but she is also the most rewarding horse I've ever had to train.
My retired oldie was pretty easy and also a fabulous partner.
I would say you need to be more patient and prepared to work at a partnership with a mare. You can't let them press your buttons and you should avoid pressing theirs too; it's a more tactful kind of agreement IMO. I would choose a mare over a gelding, in general, I enjoy the added dimension they bring.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Geldings are more likely to play out in the field and rip each others rugs. Apart from that it is down to the individual horse's personality and the experiences that they have had during their life.

Veterinary wise, a mare is unlikely to get cancer of the penis and a stallion/gelding is probably not going to have issues with their ovaries. ;)

Seriously though, thay are horses, not fire breathing dragons and I am constantly perplexed by how sexist people (often women) can be towards mares. People can use the excuse of a mare being 'marish' when she has pain issues though which won't wash with a gelding. I did once discuss mare v gelding with my vet and they said that mares with issues like ulcers or kissing spine will often see the vet for a first consultation far later than a gelding with the same issue. Very sad really when you think about it.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
In my experience.....I think with a mare you get a 'full' horse, as opposed to a gelding which obviously has something more than his gangooglies taken away when he's gelded. As sensitive and talented as a gelding can be his main focus seems to be food and a few mates to footle around with when whatever job he's asked to do is over for the day (sounds familiar..rolls eyes). Mares are the whole full and real deal. In a wild herd there's always a boss mare who's radar is always on and there's no difference in a domestic enviroment that I can see, I have a mixed herd and the boss mare dictates where they graze, who stands where, who is allowed at the water trough first. My mares have always been much quicker at picking up schooling cues. More competitive, quirky, communtative and intelligent, the only gelding I ever had with those qualities was my arab....he was a whole different level of boy.

Trinket12

Visit site
I don't really have a frame of reference as Sugar is my first horse. My coach was adamant when we were horse shopping "no mares!" then we bought a mare so.......

Sugar can be a little sassy sometimes, usually when I am asking her to do something and I am not clear in my instruction. When she's in season she gets fidgety in the cross ties and has less patience for my faffing around, I usually get one stamp of the foot and the look that says 'I'm done!'. But once we're in the arena and working she's great (though if there are any boys in there, she may flutter her eyelashes a little ;))

Cob Life

Visit site
The mare I work with is very sweet and affectionate, much more so than the gelding who I spend more time with but only thinks with his stomach!

She's opinionated and will let me know if she doesn't like something, she loves a groom but hated being faffed with, if she's working she wants to work, not faff around.

I've never come across any of the really moody mare that you hear spoken about