Mares what are they really like?

J&S

Visit site
Mares all the way with me! However, the horse I now ride, who is not mine, is a gelding and I absolutely love him because he is such a super special horse, but that's the thing, he is special!

silv

Visit site
I have had many horses over the years, my two absolute best have been mares, once they know and trust you they will try their hearts out and are gentle and affectionate. Both have had amazing work ethics and absolutely swell up when you praise them. The mare I have at the moment can be a bit grumpy on the ground with geldings but is easy to manage and she shares her paddock with my gelding whom she loves.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've had 6 mares over the years and I've adored every one of them. They have all been clever and kind, and just a joy to have around.

I've also had 3 geldings and I found them a bit...um...dim! I've probably just been unlucky, but they were all very slow on the uptake compared to the mares I've had.

The one stallion I ever rode regularly was very, very clever and regularly got himself in to bother because of it!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've only had 4 mares over the years and all of them were fortunately quite sweet natured with people. One was a real bag in the field at times with the other horses but none were what you'd call moody.
I've mainly had geldings and my current one is a bit of a cocky young lad but otherwise a sweetheart.
My nicest natured one though was a stallion. He was the most affectionate pony I've ever known, nickered all the time when you brushed him. So enthusiastic about everything as well, I could imagine him as a Border Collie, clever and tireless.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've never found the tell/discuss thing to be true. Most horses respond well to instructions that are told calmly and consistently the same way, then they normally try to get things right as horses (that haven't been buggered up by bad handling/training) are essentially very biddable by nature. My grey mare tries to get things right even when her heart is racing and she's quite clearly stressed out of her tiny mind. When I think about how she stood for the Vet when yet more liverpool cream was applied to open sores... she's just such a generously natured horse.

My gelding is the most difficult horse that I've ever owned (he sadly was slightly messed up by a stupid human) and even he is not that bad really. You just need to show him that you are not going to hurt him. If he doesn't trust you, you can tell him all you like as firmly as you can, he'll either push back twice as hard or just not let you anywhere near him. So it's far better to just cultivate a calm demeanour and to not move suddenly or aggressively around him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just wondering what everyone’s experiences are of owning mares.
Are they all really moody?
I’ve only had two geldings many moons ago and now I’m on the hunt for a new horse I’m curious.
Please share your thoughts, good and bad

Sister and I co-own our horses, we both handle them all, although we don't usually both ride them all equally. We now have our 10th and 11th mares, they have all been different. Most have been determined in one way or another, some have been reactive and spooky, none have been 'moody' as such but it has been easier to know when some, the TBx's, were in season than others. Our first horse was a gelding, who was equally determined on occasion.

PurBee

Visit site
My mare is discerning. She doesnt automatically trust anything...so i like she’s cautious, compared to the brave but goofy gelding.
She’s vocal and is like a guard dog alerting me to anything abnormal on the farm.
Took many months for her to trust me.
She’s now a gem. I dont mean shes a doormat and does everything i ask every time without sometimes giving her opinion. I mean, she’s respectful of me, so i feel ultra safe around her more than any other horse....and has enough trust for me to lead her through something unknown.
I think ive achieved that by being respectful of her too, by not believing i can impose my will on her no matter what, without listening to where she’s at, and meeting in ‘middle territory’.

Her moodiness in season is sometimes antsy but never caused issues. Although she’s not around stallions regularly, one time she met one and became an instant vocal prancing tart!!

PurBee

Visit site
My mare also checks to make sure ive cleaned the stable out to her ‘standards’!

I once missed a poop because she was in the way....she moved and was eyeing up something instead of eating her hay. Curious i looked and found the poop. She then got on with eating.

Ive now noticed once ive done the bedding sweep she’ll glance back to have a look at what ive done! Once satisfied she’ll park at her haynet and resume munching position!

One day ill have to record this on video as im sure it sounds ridiculous and has to be seen to be believed :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is an absolute doll. Incredibly friendly loves everyone and absolutely thrives on attention. My instructor is always saying how much she gives me and how amazingly generous she is. I always think of her as easy until I see other people driving her and then I realise shes just so in tune with me it makes it all easy.

Shes also clever and doesnt always use her powers for good! I can only tie her up with trailer ties as anything else she gets loose and goes round the yard chatting to other horses and people, and rooting through peoples stuff to see if theres anything edible/interesting in there.

Shes definitely not moody, but will let you know if shes not happy, and very quickly.

StowfordPress

Visit site
Forgot to add as much as I love my gelding he’s bloody annoying! My mares show affection, ask for scratches, etc but give me space.. He has to be with me 100% of the time and is like a lost puppy, but this might appeal to other people more than it does me!

scats

Visit site
I love mares. I’ve had plenty of geldings too, but I have a soft spot for mares. I’ve only had one that I would consider ‘mareish’ (according to stereotypes), but she was my Horse of a lifetime. Another mare I had was the friendliest, cuddliest Horse I’ve ever owned. They are all so different, but they generally all have a bit of spark.

I have 2 at the moment. Both so different but both absolutely incredible. Polly is quirky, but for me she is so easy. She’s friendly, amenable, goes with the flow and always happy. Millie is impatient, opinionated, doesn’t like fuss and likes to think everything is her idea, but work with her rather than against her and she will do anything you ask. I love the bones of them and I’d have a mare over a gelding any day of the week.

I also find mares have a better sense of self-preservation!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had one baggage of a mare. Tried Regumate, also had a Mare Ball fitted. Much later she was found to have ovarian cancer, so I suspect the poor girl was in pain.

All of the other mares I have had have been great. Even the mare with the cancer was great, she was brave and worked 100% with work ethic. She was simply explosive and intolerant. But, now I know why that was, I wish I had known it earlier.

windand rain

Visit site
Will never own another gelding as long as I live useless lumps waste of space in most cases that I have come across. Thick as two short planks too but thats just me I do not get on with them I love mares they are sensitive quick and will die for you will almost always get you out of trouble and are sweet and clever. I have never even known when mine are in season their personalities dont change. Rowan is a bit of a witch wiith other ponies but loving with people Kitten and Hazel are so laid back they are just big friendly teddies

oldie48

Visit site
You really dont. My mare is much happier being told what to do. She worries if shes not given confident and clear commands. A discussion would be something she would find really upsetting. She is one of lifes followers and likes me to be in charge.
Totally agree with this. I got into trouble with Rose because she needs to know where she stands and that has to be NOT "top dog" (or bitch) Although I'm sure she'd be herd leader out in the field, she has to know that's she's not herd leader when she's with me and it is not negotiable and if I ask for something in hand or ridden, she gets on with it without any argument. We have a much happier and productive relationship once we'd worked that out!

JFTDWS

Visit site
My mare is definitely more laid back, straightforward and less ludicrous than one of my geldings (the other gelding is also a weirdo, to be fair). I think the rhetoric about mares - all this "ask a mare", "moody mare", "mare-ish" nonsense - is hugely unhelpful and does a lot of mares a real injustice. They're all horses - if they're consistently grumpy or stressed, there's probably a pain or management issue underlying.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've owned quite a few mares and got on the same with them as with geldings, but in general I find geldings more cuddly. I worry about buying unknown mares in case they turn into monsters when they come in season, and they seem to cause more separation issues when you travel a mare and a gelding to a show.

sjdress

Visit site
My mare is my horse of a lifetime. Can’t explain it but it’s a totally different connection with her. Yes she can be mardy and very sassy but at the same time is very sweet, independent and loves a fuss. My gelding was much more wimpy and dependent!

BBP

Visit site
A good horse is a good horse, regardless of gender. I wouldn’t rule anything out, just look at the horse in front of you and the feeling it gives you. My gelding sounds like many of the mares described here, so none of these traits are gender specific, it’s just about the right horse for your personality and training style.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I mainly have geldings now but I find them quite irritating/annoying sometimes. They are in to everything and generally more likely to break stuff and do silly boy stuff! Bit like big dogs!
my horse of a lifetime was a mare and a stroppy one at that but she would have been far too clever to get herself into the sorts of trouble my 2 geldings do!

PurBee

Visit site
Yep, my gelding is the one who gets himself into all kinds of trouble too

I went out one morning to find he had houdini’d through the electric fence, not disturbing a thing, and perched high up on a bank, deep drain the other side he was too scared to tackle due to brambles etc. couldnt move along the bank either due to bushes, he found the one horse-sized space on the entire bank!
How long he had been perched up there i dont know, but by the amount of poops, quite a while!
Evidently he got a zapping on the way up and didnt fancy it again to re-enter!
Thankfully he does have patience, and stands there forever, waiting to be rescued, rather than freaking out.

The mare was with him, on the right side of the fence, keeping him company.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I think you have to love them and respect their wishes and preferences. Love them even if you want to kill them, let everything be their idea and always be polite, all the mares I know will tolerate rudeness but you wont get anything but the minimum from them! Love them and get them on side … they will jump the moon for you :)

Reactions: JJS

Mosh

Visit site
My mare is very sensitive, a tryerand very very kind. She would never hurt you on purpose and is brilliant with children and less capable adults (I work with vulnerable adults and young people who occasionally come to see her for cuddles) and she just takes it in her stride. Doesn't seek affection but will take it and a bit of a loner.
Adores food and her opinion on most things can be changed with a piece of any treat. God help you if breakfast is late by her clock which could be any time from 4am to 8.30am depending how she's feeling!
She lets me know her opinion on most things however!
Riding wise, she's tricky. She is brilliant on lead rein and for beginners but if you have any inkling on what you are doing she can be fun. Loves to go 100mph, loves cross country and hacking when she's in the mood. Has been known to refuse to move however if she thinks you aren't worthy (in reality, they ride differently to me and her highness) and has got a good spook on her and will test you.
She gets a bit flirty with being in season but no grouchiness and no mood changes.
She's my absolute heart horse, she's funny, kind, opionated and very Welsh in some aspects but she's brilliant.

Sprat

Visit site
Bloody brilliant, I genuinely think the sun shines out of my mares bottom. She is sensitive, wilful, intelligent and beautiful. She is my best pal, and would do anything I asked of her. She can be mareish, but it really doesn’t bother me, it’s generally only in her stable and that’s fine – it’s her space and I’m happy to respect that. I had previously said I’d never have a mare, but now you would have to convince me to have a gelding.
She keeps me on my toes and makes sure life is exciting.

Charmer91

Visit site
I had a welshie that was a nightmare and had to live on regumate, whereas my WB is completely not mareish at all. So I think it really just depends on the individual horse and their management

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I say my mare is like having a teenage daughter. There are times when she'd like to strop off to her bedroom slamming the door behind her, but other times she's very sweet. Wears her heart on her sleeve and I can always tell what she's thinking.
hehe, yup got one of those <3 excellent description

Nasicus

Visit site
I say my mare is like having a teenage daughter. There are times when she'd like to strop off to her bedroom slamming the door behind her, but other times she's very sweet. Wears her heart on her sleeve and I can always tell what she's thinking.
Nail on the head there for one of mine!