Mares what are they really like?

JJS

Visit site
I can honestly say I’ve never seen either of my girls with their ears back, and you’d never know when they were in season!

For me, the difference is that mare’s demand a certain degree of love and respect from you that geldings don’t. I’ve had and adored horses of both genders, but whereas my boys have been the same with everyone, my girls have needed you to earn their trust and affection. Once you manage that, the bond is indescribable. They look out for you, try for you, and love you back just as hard as you love them.

huskydamage

Visit site
I have two mares and they are awsome. I would definitely pick mares over geldings, I think they are smarter (I'm not bias obv ?) always had mares.
I have one that is extremely grumpy, kicks bites if you touch any sensitive bits( I cannot go anywhere near the lady area!) she is like this all year round. But the most loyal and hardworking horse, she is absolutely brilliant.
My other mare is really sweet natured, never pulls faces ever. When in season she is a bit excitable and sqeally to ride but that's it. They are both real characters and try their hardest for me. Also they don't have that gross bean thing to deal with that is reason enough!! ?
100 % mare fan here. Nice to see so many posts appreciating them.

Tala08

Visit site
I've had three mares over the years and they have been completely different to each other.
One is opinionated, sensitive and her seasons are a challenge (!!). The other two I only noticed seasons if there had been changes to their field mates or neighbours. Not difficult in any sense of the word.
I love a personality though, and that's one thing none of my mares have disappointed with!

Umbongo

Visit site
I had grown up riding geldings mostly, and always thought that I had a bond with them, that was all blown away once I had bonded with a mare. I have loaned 2 mares, and they were both amazing. They were horrid sometimes, and it took me a few months with both of them to bond. But they really pulled it out the bag when it mattered. I fully trusted them and you can feel that they fully trust you. I agree with an earlier comment, I always find geldings are too busy fooling around...and some of them are just a bit dim. The most fun with horses I have ever had has been with mares.

So I would always prefer a mare, I don't think I will ever buy a gelding.

Saying that, when it comes to cats and dogs....I prefer the boys!

Last edited:

Chianti

Visit site
Just wondering what everyone’s experiences are of owning mares.
Are they all really moody?
I’ve only had two geldings many moons ago and now I’m on the hunt for a new horse I’m curious.
Please share your thoughts, good and bad

I had one that could be quite mad - and that was up until she was PTS at 27 - and one that was the most sensible thing I've ever ridden. I miss them both. If I could choose I'd always have a mare.

Equi

Visit site
I have 3 mini mares and each is different Goldie is totally chill and will tolerate the snuggle never had an issue with her, never had any spooks or cares (her son is the same) Charm is a little more "this is where i want it" and if you get her spot...well you can't ever leave her, she will work her heart out but can be firey and sharp. Meadow (Charms daughter), 3yo is a witch. Shes very sweet actually and curious, she has never once put a leg to me but she has a mega earsback neck swing. Shes had a physio and chiro who both said she just seems like a "mare" but im actually going to look into a vet re hormones lol she can sometimes be more stalliony than my stallion.

StephBiscuit

Visit site
My mate is lovely - loves a good fuss and is an angel to ride. She's 24, but definitely doesn't act her age. She's always been very vocal, but doesn't seem to get marish at all. She was in the riding school for 20 years, but loves beach rides and is quite good at dressage.

BOWS28

Visit site
9/10 my mares are lovely. The old girl can be snappy and opinionated but she is the most loyal little bean in the world. I find it takes longer to build a bond/relationship with a mare as they arent as fickle as a gelding. But once you've got it they are just amazing. I now wouldn't want anything other than a mare.

Muddywellies

Visit site
If they love you they'll give you their heart. If they don't, then it's game over. I've had both mares and geldings and find I have a deeper bond with mares. Some can be unpredictable - with mine i never know what I'm getting out of the stable. But when she's on side, she would give me the stars out of the sky. They are very special and it's an absolute privilege to have one.