Martin Clunes: Heavy Horse Power

dancingkris

Visit site
Oops bloody phone! Its nice to see an old fashioned horseman who stands no messing, is confident enough to give his horses confidence - sadly a dying breed these days. The big lads look happy and healthy - they have respect for their handlers and know their place which is more than can be said for a lot of horses these days!

RutlandH2O

Visit site
he harnesses the stallion to a steam fire engine at the shows! Fekin brilliant!!

Robert also hunts Axel.

Re: the JRT nipping at the Clydie's feet...I know of 2 JRTs that have been killed by a Clyde gelding and a Shire mare, respectively. All it took was just one stamped foot, and splat, dead dogs.

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I am just watching end of it on the plus 1 , silent witness tonight sad this thread has not had more mentions of how fab some of the horses in this programme were. Love the fact the drum horse got the rank of Major and how great a british team went to the boat pulling comp.

Loved the loggers and the fishing horses, and the Amish horses wow, there are so many so called experts always willing to criticise on here, I am all for the nags man making a comeback, we take a few to break and bring on and there would be so many less problem horses or even worse my pet hate the phrase project horse if there were a few more trainers who gave straight forward no messing non confusing instructions to the horses they are training that is what they understand.

Also did make me chuckle Martin has been banned from driving and is considering using the horses he always looks so straight, nice to know he is human just like the rest of us.

Fii

Visit site
I am not sure if Robert still does his working horse days, but if he does i thoroughly recommend any one to go and see what this man can do with his horses first hand, he also trains people as well as horses ;)
I have seen him harrowing a field, NOt walking behind the harrow, but driving a pair from the back of ridden horse!

Fii

Visit site
I like the Comptoir (sp) horses! I met a lady at a show who bought some of these to drive and work as she couldnt replace her Shire with a type she wanted, good old short, square, working types, not leggy show types! She was most impressed with them, and didnt cost any more to import them than it would to finally buy a Shire!

cambrica

Visit site
Brilliant TV ! Martin Clunes is as gentle as his Clydsdales and I would love to spend a week in the company of Robert Sansome, completely respect him.

sandi_84

Visit site
Hurrah for STV+1! :D I got to see the end of it after all!
No comments from me except that it was a fabby program, loved all the horses and it was so so lovely seeing all the different jobs they do - I didn't know they fished/trawled with horses before! :D
Ronnie and Bruce are gorgeous and it was lovely seeing Martin Clunes driving them together at the end!
If I had land, a heavy or two and more experience I'd definitely be going eco-friendly ;):D

devonlass

Visit site
IMO
that horse wasnt at a stage mentally to be harnesses up to that stallion and dragged through the water

:confused:

He did it perfectly fine though didn't he,and am pretty sure hasn't suffered terrible mental trauma from the experience.
Really don't see the problem myself,the man clearly is respected in his field,had control at all times and achieved for his client and clients horses exactly what he set out to.Seems like a good result to me.

Have been chuckling at this whole thread,I specifically came on to look for it just to see how much the programme had been ripped to bits.Can always rely on a few HHO members to know better;):D

I enjoyed the programme,learnt a lot and thought it showed working horses in a positive but also realistic way.

micki

Visit site
I watched it on plus1. It was a brilliant program and i thought the horses were broken in well. Yes they are broken in at 2 for driving so no they weren't done too early. I would love to be able to go and have some training from the bloke as i thought his no nonsense attitude was brilliant and there are a lot of horses around that would benefit from being with him for a while.

TrasaM

Visit site
Brilliant program :) loved the attitude of all concerned especially the Amish. Amazed with them working such big teams so competently. Just lovely.

What nonsense about them being too young at two years. Human bodies respond to exercise by growing stronger bone I would expect that horses respond the same way. Stronger muscles help develop stronger bones and tendons.

Why are JRTs so irritating! Sorry, when dogs behave like this they take their chances.

TrasaM

Visit site
I watched it on plus1. It was a brilliant program and i thought the horses were broken in well. Yes they are broken in at 2 for driving so no they weren't done too early. I would love to be able to go and have some training from the bloke as i thought his no nonsense attitude was brilliant and there are a lot of horses around that would benefit from being with him for a while.

Oh yes :)

Kaylum

Visit site
Didn't enjoy it, the JR put it away, having seen a dog get under a horses legs and bring it down and the dog killed, why risk it.

Secondly the only word for this program was flick flick flick, yes getting into one story and then flick over to other side of the world. Very very badly made.

Merlin11

Visit site
I enjoyed it. We get very few horsey programmes so it's always a change. It could perhaps have been edited better and I also didn't like seeing the jrt at their feet but loved seeing the Clydesdales. The farm that Martin got them from is just up the road from me and I get my hay from them. Their Clydesdales win lots of prizes at shows. I definitely want one or two!

Spit That Out

Visit site
And then you wonder why there aren't more horsey program's on the TV ...poor producers must be hiding behind their sofa waiting for the "I know better than you" HHO brigade to get typing on their keyboards in outrage at something/nothing.

I agree with you Ribbons, a sensible post about a great horsey program and makes a change from the soaps, sports and talant shows broadcasted on a daily basis.

I would love to see a catch up program in a couple of months/year to see how his lads are getting on...especially after such a traumatic start to life ;)

daviedevs

Visit site
I enjoyed the program as i love heavy horses. Bit miffed they didnt vist one of the heavy horse riding centres though..just to show they can do more than carry or pull heavy stuff.

I'm sure Annie at Cumbria heavy horses would of loved to take part...the publicity would of been great for them.

Still good to see horses on the TV in their element..and not in lasagne!!

Montyforever

Visit site
I really enjoyed it! :) I did cringe a few times with the Clydesdales first training bit but I'd rather see them go through all that and end up as horses that can cope with anything at the end rather than being a liability as soon as they go out into the world. The water bit made me laugh, he's never going to be afraid to go through a puddle in his working life is he!! :D
I would send a horse to him for training, purely because of his no nonsense attitude! and to see his percherons!! :D

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I Loved the programme- I like Martin Clunes's attitude towards horses...quite cute ;)
Im amazed at the amount of you guys on HHO whilst watching- true multitasking that is! My o/h would have gone mad "you cant be watching it AND be on the laptop....MAKE YOUR CHOICE!!) Its his pet hate I'm jealous you all seem to get away with it!

I fully admit me and my daughter exchanged a few glances throughout the show BUT the results speak for themselves surely? I wonder if a 4 year old horse that size would be a nightmare to break having got the confidence and opinionated attitude? (might be totally wrong also!)
The dog irritated me, If my neighbour let their little dog at my horses like that Id kick it even if the horse didn't.
I used to ride a Clydesdale and it was probably one of the best riding experiences ever. He was amazing Polite, brave responsive...Highly excitable in open spaces which is just amazing to watch and ride- He was 100% safe just lolloped round like a giant puppy but with amazing brakes to boot!

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I also noticed the barbed wire fencing at the trainers yard.

Oh FGS. Lets close down every yard that has barbed wire on it shall we??? Do you know those army horses were even exercised alongside the deadly lorries and cars - shock horror. Perhaps I should change my forum name to "Steel toe caps" looking at yours.

Perhaps I am a foolish risk taker or maybe just realistic. Great programme. I also wish there were more real horsemen like that trainer.

BTW JRT was his neighbours - perhaps they should do more about training their animals.

Last edited:

pansymouse

Visit site
I like the Comptoir (sp) horses! I met a lady at a show who bought some of these to drive and work as she couldnt replace her Shire with a type she wanted, good old short, square, working types, not leggy show types! She was most impressed with them, and didnt cost any more to import them than it would to finally buy a Shire!

I think you're probably talking about Jane who is a real Comtois expert she rides, drives and shows them plus imports and sells them. I've been to her place and ridden one - such lovely horses and so good to handle. You need to know some French to communicate effectively with hers because they are started in France which also makes them initially confused when they are asked to work on the "wrong" side of the road!

Interestingly Jane says they mature very quickly and are worked and ridden from two years old. Because of this they are also a popular meat breed but the working/ridden and meat bloodlines are quite different.

happyhack

Visit site
This place never changes does it! There's always an expert that knows better than the expert!

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and thought that the trainers no nonsense old school style of training was great and needs to be brought back. His horses all looked happy, healthy and there was mutual respect between them.
I love Martin Clunes TV programmes, they are light hearted but educational and he is wonderful to watch

Megibo

Visit site
You take the prize, you have just posted THE most ridiculous piece of nonsense on this thread. Well done because you have had a lot of competition.:rolleyes:

Oh dear. Read what I put Justabob. :rolleyes: There was a clear difference between the heavy horses that were the right weight and the ones that were over.

Great programme, it was lovely seeing Martin driving his horses at the end looking pleased as punch :)

EPRider

Visit site
A farm not far from me is worked by horses. The farmer breaks his in at 2 and his reason is that "The body gets tired before the brain gets bored". That way they do not start to think how to come up with evasions and vices. All lessons are short but the young horses learn to do everything alongside the more mature animals.

cattysmith

Visit site
Programme was brilliant! Really lovely horses doing what they do best. HHO is full of people who have their main priority to criticise others because they think know best. Agree wholehertedly with others about the bargy horses! I doubt those who know what they're doing and the people who make the programmes care much for these people anyway and just laugh to theirselves as they see Twinkle Toes tagging Martha face first through the mud because he's being allowed to "express" his natural instincts, bless.

humblepie

Visit site
What I liked from a presentation point of view is that Martin Clunes isn't an over excitable presenter like so much of television today and was driving the lorry along in everyday clothes, no "show" or gloss on it.

The beer horses in America were impressive and very interesting to see the other working horses as well.

Amaranta

Visit site
I've known plenty of horses broke to drive at 2 an backed at 3 to ride an they are fine. There's a big difference to pulling something than having to carry something.

This^^^

There is a world of difference between having a rider on your back and pulling a weight!

Amaranta

Visit site
Just finished watching this fantastic programme and thought let's have a look at the experts criticising the methods on HHO.
Sure enough here they all are.
That man is a genius, he has forgotten more about horses than most here will ever know.
The stallion episode happened because Martin had the reins, the stallion recognised his inexperience and took advantage, Robert immediately took control and the stallion returned to obedience.
The dog running around you are all condemning, when that horse is working properly with heavy dangerous machinery harnessed to it, and some idiots dog gets loose and bounds over yapping that horse will not bat an eyelid.
What an absolute pleasure to watch a real horseman at work. Total respect for his horses, complete understanding of controlling them.
What a load of rubbish spouted by people who haven't got the faintest idea what they are talking about.
A little more learning real horsemanship from people like Robert would lead to a lot less posts here about, "help, my horse is rude, bargy, pushy strong etc etc etc.
That man will never ruin or spoil a young horse. Which is more than can be said for a great number of people who post here.

I have to say I totallly agree with you :)