Martin Clunes: Heavy Horse Power

Sandstone1

Visit site
I realise that they are big and strong, but surely they would take longer to grow up than smaller breeds? think people would be moaning if a smaller horse was backed at 2?

That was pure stupidity to let that jrt yap at his heels like that! I dont care who the trainer is, its a accident waiting to happen. I dont know about driving or heavey horses but I do know about dogs and that was stupid.

3Beasties

Visit site
Well said DragonSlayer! No matter what the program, if it involves horses there are always people who find something to moan about on here!

It may not be perfect horsemanship but enjoy it for what it is.
Awaits for the next lot of complaints regarding the stallion.....

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I've done loads with Freddie aged 2.. hes massive and big built, I wouldn't have wanted to wait until he was 4 before I started trying to put bridles on etc, Freddie will be 3 end of May and he's backed, haven't "ridden him yet! But hopefully it will be easy then!

Springy

Visit site
Well said DragonSlayer! No matter what the program, if it involves horses there are always people who find something to moan about on here!

^^ read back mine is on!! That was bliddy stupid to be fair!!! :eek::confused:

Fii

Visit site
Didn't take long for people to nit-pick....think of the size of the horse and they will grow more. Im guessing that starting them is better for their handling and state of mind than thinking 'oh I better wait till 4'.....

Enjoy the bloody programme!

yep! ....and yep!!

dressagelove

Visit site

Err it's a horse forum.... Hence the discussion over horse related programmes! Duh. It's also called having an opinion. I don't know about people moaning, I'm fed up of people saying you can't have an opinion!

ladyt25

Visit site
The stallion ddin't do anything though did it? My 14.2hh pony will do that with his field mates on occasion. It's noise and bravado. Nothing happened, the man was in control! Horses will be horses after all.

Hedwards

Visit site
I'm not at all impressed with the fella doing the training of the 2 year olds, I have absolutely no experience with heavy breeds so don't know what work they should be doing and when... However he isn't someone id want my horses going to... Find putting 2 year olds on harness with a grumpy stallion through water a little odd??

Coblover63

Visit site
Why shouldn't they? It's not exactly taxing work - they're not being asked to carry a person or pull something heavy. It's only lungeing essentially. You know when your youngster gets to an age when it wants to 'do' something.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree... all the youngsters I've had have been more than happy to be baby horses until 4 :rolleyes:

ladyt25

Visit site
See, some would say the training's a bit rough and ready but it works doesn't it. I'd be the person going "god, what if he does this or does that" but it just goes to show a confident handler and the expectation of a horse just to get on with it, is the best attitude to have!

siennamum

Visit site
The dog is a complete irrelevance. His point is that those horses from day one are completely obedient, unflappable and solid. I think it's a brilliant attitude and am thinking I should be harnessing my naughty horse to Axel for a few lessons.

Fii

Visit site
what a near miss..first the jrt then the near stallion crash! don't think I'd want my horse there for breaking (at 2!!)

Thats your prerogative, but he is the best at what he does!
And he does a lot of his farm work if not most of it with his horses, I wouldnt hesitate to send one to him if i got another Shire or another heavy!

ladyt25

Visit site
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree... all the youngsters I've had have been more than happy to be baby horses until 4 :rolleyes:

It's not about not being a baby though is it. I was leading mine out on road from 2 onwards, put a saddle on him etc etc. Got on him last autumn when he was aged 3 and the end of last year and now this year am steadily hacking him out. I guess my feeling with these youngsters is all they're being asked to do is pull something. It doesn't really put stress on their body, it's just brain work and horses like stimulation.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Dont think its much to ask to keep the dog out of the way!!

totally agree. Its one of my pet hates seeing people who let their dogs run about horse's feet like this. I don't give a stuff if it's irrelevant to the horse but it's putting the dog at great risk of injury.

ladyt25

Visit site
The dog is a complete irrelevance. His point is that those horses from day one are completely obedient, unflappable and solid. I think it's a brilliant attitude and am thinking I should be harnessing my naughty horse to Axel for a few lessons.

Exactly! Horses need to just be able to deal with stuff! It's about combatting their flight response.

Hedwards

Visit site
Fii that's a very good point, the way its being shown on the TV is not the full picture... I feel its all a bit rushed, however we are only seeing snap shots!

Spellbound13

Visit site
This is showing gritty lives with horses, the real stuff, you want fluffy bunnies, go watch my little pony....

Made me giggle :D totally agree.

These horses are beautiful, the program is about what the working horse is used for, and what it could be doing over here if we used them more.

yes its 'wrong' they are broke at 2, but these are just being started in their education is all.

Anyway ... Im reallllly enjoying the program :)