Martin Clunes: Heavy Horse Power

Orangehorse

Visit site
It is a TV programme, not a minute by minute account of how to break in a horse!

I would call him a nagsman too - and you end up with horses that do as they are told without fussing.

ribbons

Visit site
Just finished watching this fantastic programme and thought let's have a look at the experts criticising the methods on HHO.
Sure enough here they all are.
That man is a genius, he has forgotten more about horses than most here will ever know.
The stallion episode happened because Martin had the reins, the stallion recognised his inexperience and took advantage, Robert immediately took control and the stallion returned to obedience.
The dog running around you are all condemning, when that horse is working properly with heavy dangerous machinery harnessed to it, and some idiots dog gets loose and bounds over yapping that horse will not bat an eyelid.
What an absolute pleasure to watch a real horseman at work. Total respect for his horses, complete understanding of controlling them.
What a load of rubbish spouted by people who haven't got the faintest idea what they are talking about.
A little more learning real horsemanship from people like Robert would lead to a lot less posts here about, "help, my horse is rude, bargy, pushy strong etc etc etc.
That man will never ruin or spoil a young horse. Which is more than can be said for a great number of people who post here.

horseandshoes77

Visit site
Just finished watching this fantastic programme and thought let's have a look at the experts criticising the methods on HHO.
That man is a genius, he has forgotten more about horses than most here will ever know.
The stallion episode happened because Martin had the reins, the stallion recognised his inexperience and took advantage, Robert immediately took control and the stallion returned to obedience.
The dog running around you are all condemning, when that horse is working properly with heavy dangerous machinery harnessed to it, and some idiots dog gets loose and bounds over yapping that horse will not bat an eyelid.
What an absolute pleasure to watch a real horseman at work. Total respect for his horses, complete understanding of controlling them.
What a load of rubbish spouted by people who haven't got the faintest idea what they are talking about.
A little more learning real horsemanship from people like Robert would lead to a lot less posts here about, "help, my horse is rude, bargy, pushy strong etc etc etc.
That man will never ruin or spoil a young horse. Which is more than can be said for a great number of people who post here.

wish there was a like button !

Springy

Visit site

Some of us do know what we are doing when it comes to breaking dont just asume we dont because we thought he rushed it :mad:

We ARE entitled to our OWN opinion :)

justabob

Visit site
I am enjoying the programme :) my only nit pick is how some of the horses are obese :p:p *runs and hides*

I love love love the budweiser clydes.

You take the prize, you have just posted THE most ridiculous piece of nonsense on this thread. Well done because you have had a lot of competition.:rolleyes:

Feathered

Visit site

This!!!!! Very well said.

sandi_84

Visit site
Aaah I missed the last few minutes because of my stupid TV, it was just as he was leaving the Amish guys and their team to go back to Ronnie and Bruce....

What happened? Can someone tell me please as I'm a bit mad now, was looking forward to it for aaaages! :(

Sandstone1

Visit site

Im all in favour of horses getting used to dogs, but the first time the horse is being lunged is not the time to do it! Also the dog was out of control. They should have stopped, caught the dog and then carried on. I dont care if it was his dog or not, it was stupid and dangerous for all concerned.

Fii

Visit site

Well done , you put that a lot better than i did!

maisie06

Visit site

WELL SAID!!! If all the armchair "experts" got off their backsides and did something practical with common sense we would not have all these "problem horses" who are then practically destroyed with parrelli or some other such crap.

I really admire these old nagsmen who like the poster quoted has said have forgotten more than most of us will ever learn and it's a real pleasure to watch them in action.

As for the dog....well my horse is rock solid with dogs thanks to the annoying pack of JRT's and a random standard poodle whom used to reside at the yard he was on with his old owners.

Rockchick_uk

s11.invisionfree.com
I have noticed alot of replies here start.....I have no experience of heavy horses but....i didnt like...

Guys these are horses that weigh over a tonne in weight, they are taller, wider and longer than most things.

They are broken to drive at 2 and usually broken to ride at 4.

You have to be stern with these animals otherwise they become dangerous and out of control.

Robert Sampson is a experienced handler of these animals purely because its his families way of life, everything he did on that programme was the right way.

And why do i have this opinion........I own a heavy who was once a ill mannered bolshy brat who WAS dangerous and out of control, without the knowledgeable people around me like Robert and the Midlands Heavy Horse Association i would more than likely be dead!!! squished somewhere!

whoatherejig

Visit site
I was cringeing at the lungeing, but it makes you wonder if we are wusses? The Clydies appear to have turned out well, and it was all no-nonsense, just get on with it.
I know vacuums have been in use for a while, but I'm thinking of getting the upright on the naughty rhino at the weekend. Don't think he'll object! :D

littleladylou

Visit site
Very, aptly put. This programme documented people who use horses for a purpose not a prize. They were all healthy, happy looking horses. Unless you are a major, like the drumhorse I am not sure you can comment :)

ann-jen

Visit site
I agree horses need to get used to dogs but in a controlled way, not when they are first being lunged and with a out of control dog snapping at them.

My horse was brought up with a yapping pack of dogs and now never bats an eyelid when meets them on hacks or at shows. The YO's dog even ran underneath her once :-o the trouble is when you are out and about you don't always meet dogs in a controlled way and although I agree it mightn't be the best introduction in the world, that horse didn't look like it hadn't encountered yapping dogs before!

Rockchick_uk

s11.invisionfree.com
I do wonder if people stop the huntsman or whipper in during a hunt to ask them not to allow the 40 odd hounds running around the horses barking etc to be quiet around their horses lol

Or the racehorse trainers racing 2 years olds??

Or even the 4 year old show horses who have had their heads tied in to make them look pretty??

Theres good and bad in the horse world, just dont put someone down because you dont understand their methods

ribbons

Visit site
Can't quote on phone
Itsmylife says they should have stopped, caught the dog and re started.
1. No they shouldn't. They worked through it and in minutes the horse was ignoring the dog.
2. The idiots escapee dog that may be encountered in the future will most definitely be out of control.
3. You must be a superb horseman/woman to feel qualified to state what a man like Robert should or shouldn't be doing.
4. You are of course entitled to voice your opinions, it's just that they make it quite plain that point 3 is most definitely not the case.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I do wonder if people stop the huntsman or whipper in during a hunt to ask them not to allow the 40 odd hounds running around the horses barking etc to be quiet around their horses lol

Or the racehorse trainers racing 2 years olds??

Or even the 4 year old show horses who have had their heads tied in to make them look pretty??

Theres good and bad in the horse world, just dont put someone down because you dont understand their methods

Dont know what hunt you are with, but hounds are mostly under control and not yapping at the horses heels

Sandstone1

Visit site
Can't quote on phone
Itsmylife says they should have stopped, caught the dog and re started.
1. No they shouldn't. They worked through it and in minutes the horse was ignoring the dog.
2. The idiots escapee dog that may be encountered in the future will most definitely be out of control.
3. You must be a superb horseman/woman to feel qualified to state what a man like Robert should or shouldn't be doing.
4. You are of course entitled to voice your opinions, it's just that they make it quite plain that point 3 is most definitely not the case.

Yes they should have stopped, the dog could quite easily have been killed, Ever seen a dog kicked in the head?? I have its not pretty.

inamac

Visit site
Interesting programme, but I was disappointed that no one questioned the fact that all the American heavy horses were short docked (despite the fact that it is illegal in some US states, and has been banned in this country for a century).

dancingkris

Visit site
Well said Ribbons - can't quote as on my phone. I don't really post much on here but it drives me mad about the amount of experts there are out there who'd do everything better. I've had horses all my life - yet these animals surprise me everyday and the old adage that you never stop learning is so true. The amount of horses on my yard that are rude, bargy and downright bad mannered is

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I am deliberately watching this on my own on playback without the OH, and thanking a higher being that dad is on the other side of the world currently as I have caught both of them eye up the Le Poneh. OH to hitch up to an all-singing, all-dancing Amish style something or other (he likes the mix of horse and powered machines) and dad to use in the woods logging.

Am tempted to break fat boy to harness, if only to harrow the paddocks....