May bank holiday weekend plans

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Teaching Deza to jump on Saturday if she shows any interest. PREs aren't built for the job so we'll be keeping it tiny and giving it up of she makes it clear that it's not her thing. This is the first one I've taught for about four years, so I'm likely to be pretty rusty myself.

Ludo will have a schooling session to continue work towards our current target of a more consistent reach out and down into the reins, especially through bends and changes of bend. He was great on our hack this morning.

Deza's hack today was quite an increase in effort, with four good hills trotted up, because I'm planning to do the 9 miler fun ride next week with Skylla and HP. I couldn't believe how cold it was ?

Jojo will get his feet picked out at some point. I might try a bridle on him, I might not. The joy of a 3 year old is it doesn't matter.

j1ffy

Visit site
Teaching Deza to jump on Saturday if she shows any interest. PREs aren't built for the job so we'll be keeping it tiny and giving it up of she makes it clear that it's not her thing. This is the first one I've taught for about four years, so I'm likely to be pretty rusty myself.

Ludo will have a schooling session to continue work towards our current target of a more consistent reach out and down into the reins, especially through bends and changes of bend. He was great on our hack this morning.

Deza's hack today was quite an increase in effort, with four good hills trotted up, because I'm planning to do the 9 miler fun ride next week with Skylla and HP. I couldn't believe how cold it was ?

Jojo will get his feet picked out at some point. I might try a bridle on him, I might not. The joy of a 3 year old is it doesn't matter.

Every PRE I have jumped has loved it so I'm sure you'll have fun! Some are surprisingly scope-y too :D

ponyparty

Visit site
Nothing for me this weekend (although I have started having a weekly lesson at the riding school I used to work at, so will be doing that on Monday evening...) but I'm taking my little boy for his second ever pony ride on Saturday afternoon. Cute pics will follow ;) hope he enjoys it as much as he did last time, 6 months ago. Think I'm more excited than he is!

ycbm

Visit site
Is interesting how different Deza's back is from your boy's. She has a very distinct wither that has recently popped up even more, and although she's in a wide saddle, her back doesn't look anything like as table top as your guy's, it rises to her spine. I thought she would be more like the shape yours is. I'm glad he's recovered well from the tooth root abscess.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I am finally off away from the yard to do something exciting. We are going to have THAT lesson at my trainer's that got cancelled from the start of the month. It's Stormy's first away lesson so it will be a test of how much she is over thinking she's going racing every time she gets on a horsebox. In May I have got outings planned every week nearly for her so hopefully by the end of the month, the horsebox won't be exciting and we will be much further along. We haven't have a lesson in 6 weeks so it is much needed!

I am also waiting on my Cash Dressage Online and E-Riders dressage results, we know one of the scores and we definitely won't be winning anything but it is exciting to see where we are and use that as a benchmark for the future.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Is interesting how different Deza's back is from your boy's. She has a very distinct wither that has recently popped up even more, and although she's in a wide saddle, her back doesn't look anything like as table top as your guy's, it rises to her spine. I thought she would be more like the shape yours is. I'm glad he's recovered well from the tooth root abscess.

The photos are deceptive. He has a very distinct wither which is also a lot higher than his back, so saddle fitting was a bit interesting to get enough wither room for him and also to find something that didn't leave me feeling like I'm in the back seat. His back also rises to his spine, it's not so flat/table top bit not totally tent shaped either. He's a bit plump from the lack of work at the moment. I reduced his feed and can now up the work.

This photo shows his withers better and annoying lack of space to where the saddle should go. It's bum, hip, then shoulder ? if he lost weight he wouldn't be as wide.

ETA: his withers didn't show up until he was 7 (he's about to be 9 now).

20210210_152448.jpg

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

Skylla is v excited about the fun ride and will be very happy to give a lead if needed. I’m getting used to teaching unusual horses to do normal things ?.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I have started to work on stringing together the Advanced Medium movements now and this was the Fatty Potatoes very first go at the flying change serpentine! I have added the video so others can see how un-polished initial training is and hopefully not feel disheartened when theres are like that too.

And yes she does slightly run off with me at the end ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Jumped coblet yesterday, and she was awesome as always, then tried to school Shambles over some poles on a 20m circle - apparently it's much more fun to jump them so that didn't really work as planned. On the plus side we have found counter canter again.
Hacking both on Saturday and Monday.
Sunday coblet is off to our first competition since October - off to do some jumping. Am so excited but also slightly scared as it's been so long!
Good luck to all those out and about.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have started to work on stringing together the Advanced Medium movements now and this was the Fatty Potatoes very first go at the flying change serpentine! I have added the video so others can see how un-polished initial training is and hopefully not feel disheartened when theres are like that too.

What a keen bean ?

ycbm

Visit site

She is SO like mine!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Brilliant write-up - Maddie is looking fantastic.
I've just realised that we must have been posting a weekend plans thread at a similar time (I assume I just had less to type). I just posted and logged off, but if I had noticed I would have moved over to yours (since it was a much more interesting start ?)...Sorry!

Thanks - we spent a lot of time during lockdown and all the rubbish weather doing a lot of in hand work including a lot of raised poles in walk - it's really paid off and her back muscles have really lifted and developed. And yes, I did exactly the same and logged off straight away. It was only when I logged on this morning that I realised there were two threads, but was able to edit my post and tack on to yours. It's no problem, I was just glad I could avoid having two weekend threads as that would have been somewhat confusing. :) x

Bernster

Visit site
Not done much horse stuff so far but having a day pottering at the yard today - which I love. I spend hours doing very little but really enjoy it!

Had a big birthday ? yesterday and had the most lovely day. Bit overwhelmed by it all - amazing OH has organised a surprise camp for me and some friends - including a day‘s course hire at Keysoe with Ros Canter teaching. I was a bit speechless, then I cried!! She taught at a very wet n rainy Banfield camp in 2019 and I thought she was fab.

0A324917-8E35-468B-ABBC-52E08D30A7F1.jpeg

palo1

Visit site
Not done much horse stuff so far but having a day pottering at the yard today - which I love. I spend hours doing very little but really enjoy it!

Had a big birthday ? yesterday and had the most lovely day. Bit overwhelmed by it all - amazing OH has organised a surprise camp for me and some friends - including a day‘s course hire at Keysoe with Ros Canter teaching. I was a bit speechless, then I cried!! She taught at a very wet n rainy Banfield camp in 2019 and I thought she was fab.

View attachment 71056

What a fantastic gift! :)

palo1

Visit site
Lesson this morning; both Alw and I were somehow all over the place (and not together). I was not feeling the best having drunk 2 glasses of wine last night (very unusual for me lol) and Alw came in like a small angry bear for no apparant reason this morning! Nevertheless it was very positive to try to put some structure round that in a lesson. We are experimenting slightly with contact/bridlery - today we tried a Micklem bridle. No favours done at all so we are either heading back to snaffle with cavesson or waiting for a drop noseband to arrive in the post this week to see how Madam feels about that. There are no problems as such but contact is, rather as you may expect with a 4/5 year old a bit inconsistent. Now seems like a good time to see if there are particular nose/face preferences expressed by Alw. :) So far a simple cavesson is looking fine but we want to try a drop to see if the bit being stiller supports greater consistency. If not, at least I will have worked through this stuff early doors!!

Tack experimentation is not something I really want to have to do at a later point though I know it is important to stay open-minded. Now just seems the right time to give the options a whirl. Good stuff included Alw showing a very consistent rhythm in her trot work and 'great' expression in canter - yipppeee!! Canter transitions are still a bit wobbly but we can reliably canter a circle shaped 20m circle. Pleased about that. I am really delighted and quite amazed with the huge, expressive canter that we have - as trot is pretty 'meh' it is very encouraging to have something else that is lovely.

We also did some fun jumps; just 2 foot singles but it's been a while....And we loved that!! Alw is a confident, careful little thing over jumps but clearly enjoys leaving the ground:) :) All feeling much 'better' for having done some work. :) :)

KEK

Visit site

View attachment 71056
Wow, amazing present!! Did he actually organise the whole camp for you?! Happy Birthday :)

ycbm

Visit site

Well I worked out it was 7 years, not 4, and yes I was rusty! But she is definitely very interested in popping a fence and though I would say she isn't a natural jumper, the will to do it is more important for the size we will be doing. Plan next is to take her to SPF's baby xc training course, weather permitting. My jump saddle is too flat for her back, unfortunately. I don't like jumping in a GP because I can't go short enough, but I can't justify a new jump saddle for the amount we'll be doing. I'll just have to move the angle on the flaps as far forwards as I can. It's lucky WOWs are adjustable that way.

HUGE thanks to the HHOer who did pole monitor duties today, you know who you are ??

GinaGeo

Visit site
Pod did Dressage ?

His second competitive outing, just to do a Prelim and Novice. We managed a second in both (though in the interests of truthful sorry telling there were only two of us in the Novice ?)

He was a good egg in the warm up for both tests, it was the busiest arena he’s been ridden in. But he kept his concentration and I was chuffed with him.

The prelim test was ‘looky’, gave the white boards a good snort to be sure, but improved as it went on.
2C4E70CD-C2BE-4EA9-9D04-60AE49E8A11F.jpg
He warmed up well for the Novice, much more settled and stayed in front of the leg, whilst keeping the rhythm. Much braver in the ring too, much more rideable. It was all going jolly well until they announced the results of the previous class over the tannoy just as we got level with it ?

And then just as we’d settled down and come back round, it went off again. In exactly the same place. He’s noise sensitive at the best of times.

DC3A8DC2-25DA-4E41-8F47-DDDE1A87D230.jpg

Fortunately, the judge was great and gave us a bit of time to put the wheels back on and did we manage to finish the test.

1B31B6F2-C313-484F-974F-9B238A3C3602.jpg

Plenty to work on, including random tannoy announcements, but he’s feeling stronger in his work all the time.

Michen

Visit site
Bog went to the gallops on Thursday which did his brain the world of good. Sj lesson today at a clinic and he was epic! Much more rideable, not disuniting all over the place and taking out strides like a lunatic. Did tow me around a bit but I’ll take that. There was a photographer there which is cool but a photo for now which sums him up ?

I wanted to pop around a 70 ODE and had booked in for elmwood in three weeks but with the rain forecast I’m wondering whether to do a late entry to Broadway next weekend. He would have been on a 2 hour farm ride and a 4 hour trailer drive coming back from holiday the day before on the Friday though, bit much? Thoughts welcome. He’s fit etc but just feels like a lot of travel (Broadway on the sat a 3 hour round trip)

Excuse my terrible position over a fence ?‍♀️

D405C7DC-3532-4B0E-8269-74DAD2EA0811.jpeg

9EE356E0-D9F9-4115-B481-80C6D9C2DE2D.jpeg

Last edited: