May bank holiday weekend plans

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Had a nice hack just from the yard today, and managed to catch the best of the weather. Planning to do some poles/jumping tomorrow. Monday going on an 8mile pleasure ride with a friend, which will be lovely. Not been there before, but photos look fab! Though forecast suggests we might get a bit soggy...

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I naughtily got back on for the first time post-collarbone break. I had physio this week who told me I was weeks ahead in recovery and I’ve chosen to interpret that as “you can get on and walk”. Walk became trot which became canter and then I popped a cross pole. 3 weeks 3 days post op. I know i shouldn’t have but I missed it so so much and it made me very happy!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Pod did Dressage ?

His second competitive outing, just to do a Prelim and Novice. We managed a second in both (though in the interests of truthful sorry telling there were only two of us in the Novice ?)

He was a good egg in the warm up for both tests, it was the busiest arena he’s been ridden in. But he kept his concentration and I was chuffed with him.

The prelim test was ‘looky’, gave the white boards a good snort to be sure, but improved as it went on.
View attachment 71087
He warmed up well for the Novice, much more settled and stayed in front of the leg, whilst keeping the rhythm. Much braver in the ring too, much more rideable. It was all going jolly well until they announced the results of the previous class over the tannoy just as we got level with it ?

And then just as we’d settled down and come back round, it went off again. In exactly the same place. He’s noise sensitive at the best of times.

View attachment 71088

Fortunately, the judge was great and gave us a bit of time to put the wheels back on and did we manage to finish the test.

View attachment 71089

Plenty to work on, including random tannoy announcements, but he’s feeling stronger in his work all the time.

Oh bless him, look at him staring at that tannoy as he spooks. Well sat!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Nice pottery day today, Kira did her schoolwork, I did some satisfying yard jobs and then spent the evening playing with the babies.

Look at this grown up face that has appeared from under the winter fuzz! This has been the best thing I've ever done with horses so far, she is my little shadow but also an independent young lady who is bold and curious. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

181847813_4287314707946673_8792306290812026350_n.jpg

milliepops

Visit site
Her coat has been weird, she had this really coarse top coat which was light coloured, underneath that is this dark soft fuzz which is going now, and it's sleek bright bay underneath ?

She's gone really long again, I hope the 5'9 bargain rambo I bought fits her come next winter ?

palo1

Visit site
Nice pottery day today, Kira did her schoolwork, I did some satisfying yard jobs and then spent the evening playing with the babies.

Look at this grown up face that has appeared from under the winter fuzz! This has been the best thing I've ever done with horses so far, she is my little shadow but also an independent young lady who is bold and curious. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

181847813_4287314707946673_8792306290812026350_n.jpg

She is stunning and will only get more beautiful. What a very lovely head she has and how nice that you are so enjoying her!! :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
View attachment 71169View attachment 71168

We managed to maintain 2nd, edged the gap closer winning the marathon (first time at this level we’ve managed that) but gave away a little today but not enough to drop a place. Great tight competition, now in my third season with him he finally feels like my horse.

Fab result - a big well done. I don't know much about driving, but that video shows such a beautiful harmonious partnership. x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
View attachment 71169View attachment 71168

We managed to maintain 2nd, edged the gap closer winning the marathon (first time at this level we’ve managed that) but gave away a little today but not enough to drop a place. Great tight competition, now in my third season with him he finally feels like my horse.

Brilliant video Rara, that looks incredibly skilled, I can imagine how you do it without any legs on the horse. Congratulations on a great result.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Had a really good schooling session on Saturday. We focused on waiting and relaxation, which is good to come back to with this horse. He occasionally needs a confidence booster and to remember that he's ok if he waits and relaxes into his work, he doesn't need to be 8 steps ahead, but I do appreciate his will to please. He can anticipate and he really wants to please, which some would see as keeness, or even being hot, but can lead to an anxious horse. The work is getting harder now (PSG) and he needs to be fit physically and mentally. It was a good rehash of some basic concepts after a bit of time off.

Just walked with the dog, horse, and OH today. Stopped to do what the horse is best at; eating.

Still no comps here (only for pros and not so many). So nothing too exciting to report. We do have a lesson planned for Thursday.

Screenshot_20210502-184459_Gallery.jpg

maya2008

Visit site
I have no photos ‘cos my husband is a useless photographer...but little mare managed her first hack to an arena and back (fitness milestone!) and course of jumps. Only 9 or so in a row, but she was a superstar, jumping them all beautifully and even changing legs as needed on landing. We kept them small in case of issues (her ‘normal’ jumps are rustic piles of twigs/logs/branches on buckets so I didn’t know what she would think of a course of brightly coloured ones!).

Son and shetland also found their jumping mojo and did really well. Biggest they’ve done since before lockdown, so we are on our way up again! Nervous daughter even followed me over one set (I made them tiny) and managed to fold correctly (she is six, it’s all a work in progress!).

Next step is learning about fillers...my rustic home jumps are about to become rather more colourful!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Today wasn’t as good as I’d hoped. Entered Pony into the 70cm and 80cm show jumping at a local competition centre. He warmed up amazingly, a bit too strong but rideable. 70cm started off great until fence 5 which was on a dog leg and was heading towards the door of the indoor and the crowd. We got 2 refusals and then he carried on being an absolute star.

In the 80cm, he charged into fence 4 and I couldn’t get him back in time to jump 5 so he refused, despite me basically pony club kicking on the last few strides. Then he refused two more times ending in an elimination. Not sure what it was about that fence as he flew everything else no bother and usually once he’s jumped something he will jump it no problem the next time and it hadn’t changed except gone up 10cm.

My instructor and I are going to have a play with some bits because he’s just so on the forehand and using his neck for power. The bit he’s currently in, I bought when he would go around with his ears up my nostrils. Not sure how/why/when he changed but I need something to make him much lighter in front that he can’t grab hold of.

Even though there are massive positives from today, I’m feeling so disheartened and like I let people down because I’ve been working so hard with my instructor to not have refusals.

Attachments

• A93C09C4-60A3-4462-995B-BC8AD66E586D.jpeg
    A93C09C4-60A3-4462-995B-BC8AD66E586D.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 19545DFB-F85B-483B-9E4D-04A5E5D3641A.jpeg
    19545DFB-F85B-483B-9E4D-04A5E5D3641A.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 17

nikkimariet

Visit site
Yesterday I had a day out round longleat and Frome!

Today I took Rooni out competing for 2 mediums. He was impeccable for 70% and 66% both 2nd overall (second test seems low marked compared to first, same winner was ok 73 in first test and 68 in second lol)

1A9CD6F0-A556-4314-9D5E-D77146585ECE.jpeg

But he was so well behaved and we got our AF qual anyway so not really bothered.

Tomorrow I’m hacking and having a meal out. Nice to be back doing people stuff again.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
JSarah_D it is frustrating when it goes wrong in competition but it;s all feedback for next time and experience. Sometimes the atmosphere just gets tro them and they get a it nappy or go a but green. Dolly - the most reliable pony ever- took a random dislike to a wall and was eliminated SJ first time she went up to 90. No real reason why. She jumps walls generally! Just focus on the positive and work out what needs to be the focus in training now befier the next one. Well done on getting out there!

J_sarahd

Visit site
JSarah_D it is frustrating when it goes wrong in competition but it;s all feedback for next time and experience. Sometimes the atmosphere just gets tro them and they get a it nappy or go a but green. Dolly - the most reliable pony ever- took a random dislike to a wall and was eliminated SJ first time she went up to 90. No real reason why. She jumps walls generally! Just focus on the positive and work out what needs to be the focus in training now befier the next one. Well done on getting out there!

Thank you, you’re right it is so frustrating especially when you know they can jump bigger than what’s in front of them. But it’s also encouraging to be told it happens to others - even reliable ponies. Definitely going to sort the bit as a first port of call because the lack of control didn’t help one bit!!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Today wasn’t as good as I’d hoped. Entered Pony into the 70cm and 80cm show jumping at a local competition centre. He warmed up amazingly, a bit too strong but rideable. 70cm started off great until fence 5 which was on a dog leg and was heading towards the door of the indoor and the crowd. We got 2 refusals and then he carried on being an absolute star.

In the 80cm, he charged into fence 4 and I couldn’t get him back in time to jump 5 so he refused, despite me basically pony club kicking on the last few strides. Then he refused two more times ending in an elimination. Not sure what it was about that fence as he flew everything else no bother and usually once he’s jumped something he will jump it no problem the next time and it hadn’t changed except gone up 10cm.

My instructor and I are going to have a play with some bits because he’s just so on the forehand and using his neck for power. The bit he’s currently in, I bought when he would go around with his ears up my nostrils. Not sure how/why/when he changed but I need something to make him much lighter in front that he can’t grab hold of.

Even though there are massive positives from today, I’m feeling so disheartened and like I let people down because I’ve been working so hard with my instructor to not have refusals.

I think it's normal to feel disheartened after a disappointing day, but you haven't let anyone down!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Had a brill day yesterday - I stayed calm and actually rode OK for 80% of the day, which is a big big win for me. Usually my being judged anxiety starts in the warm-up and then I sort of drift through the test. Buy yesterday we got through the prelim test without it creeping in at all.

Arts was very good. Much more grown-up than the last dressage outing we went on. Marks were 66.something%, and comments were a fair reflection of where we are at - nice correct movement, needs more bend. Oh, and my usual inability to ride a center line.

The novice started OK, although I did a 10m circle that was more like 15m and then let her get unbalance in the medium trot. Started to flap, but then managed to pull myself together and the next few movements were pretty good (incl 7 for the second medium trot), then stupidly asked her for medium canter, which is not something I've really schooled...she said "what really mum?" "Yes go on" says I, and then we lost control slightly, and only just made the turn at the end of the school ?. So the rest of the canter work was a bit of a write off ?. But approx 61% so we didn't totally disgrace ourselves and the videos have me lots to work on - canter needs more work in general.

So successful day - yay! But experiencing dressage without the anxiety (for the most part) made me realise that I still find it a little dull (sorry peeps who love it). So I probably won't be troubling anyone up the levels in the next wee while.

Anyway, some rubbishy video stills:

IMG_20210502_195954.jpg
IMG_20210502_200013.jpg
IMG_20210502_195725.jpg

Yeehah canter ?:
IMG_20210503_074447.jpg

Northern

Visit site
Weather was gorgeous this weekend, warm start to the winter. Did two hacks to take advantage of the nice weather.

Managed a ride in today before this came:

Light.JPG

Bye bye Autumn, that's out first big cold front of the year. Did make me hurry a bit to get home before the worst of it hit. Pretty spectacular start to winter! It's not all bad, our school is much better when it rains so I have my fingers crossed it holds off for a few hours tomorrow and I can take advantage of it!

catembi

Visit site
Hurray...I can finally join in! I have had my new boy coming up to 4 weeks now, & it is such a treat to be out n about Doing Stuff again as it's been a looooooong time coming. He will be 4 in June & is a petite ginger ISH -- TB on one side; ISH with a dash of warmblood on the other. On Sunday, we went on our first ever hack with my trainer walking with me. Only 2 km, but two of the sides of the 'square' were roadwork - quietish village road but lots to look at. This was a big milestone for me because I haven't hacked for 18 months, & on that occasion Cody absolutely lost the plot & exploded (undiagnosed PSSM), rearing, bucking, randomly leaping in the air etc. I managed to choose a moment to jump off & had enough trouble leading him home with him exploding & trying to trample on me etc. So that was my last hack, hence rather trepidatious going out on a 3 yo. He did very, very well for his first time. A bit surprised to be out hacking, but he kept going.

Today we did showjump course hire, so had it to ourselves for an hour. He has been there once before but was desperately excited & didn't stop neighing for the entire time. Warmed up nicely, had a good canter on each rein which was an achievement in itself, and did all the jumps at super tiny height. I got off to put them up to the dizzy heights of 45 cm, then got him to jump the water tray in hand a couple of times, then got back on & did all the jumps several times in different orders. Zero trouble with the jumps, inc water tray; quite a lot of trouble with him getting his tongue over the bit & having no brakes or steering. A bitting consultant is due this week, and in the meantime I have another bit to try that might help with the issue.

It's so very lovely to be back in the game!

Roxylola

Visit site
Been at camp at somerford. Exciting and stressful as I had the borrow of a rather fab mare who is absolutely electric and a world away from Charlie especially to jump. In many ways much easier, but also much more sensitive and reactive. She got me through my rabbit in headlights moments though and actually chilled out a bit by day 2 so I could actually try and ride a bit ?
Charlie was there with his owner who had a great time too, had a few proud moments watching him pop round with her ? he's rideable and reliable these days (well I think he is anyway) and I'm so pleased with that.

Chippers1

Visit site
Went to a local show on Sat for some WH (I had originally entered to just be able to jump round a course in April as I had sworn off WH but it was cancelled and rearranged for this weekend so just went along anyway!) Buzz did a lovely forward and confident round, I was so pleased with him. Really nice feel and jump. We came second (out of two!) and the judge said it was very close and what tipped it in the other ponies' favour was that Buzz wasn't quite in show condition... *rolls eyes* you can't even feel his ribs at the moment :D
Not to fussed though as just wanted to get round a course. It was only 60cm but I felt fine with it, some scary fillers too!
He enjoyed it so much that when we went back in the ring for the results he was all excited and wanting to go again :)

humblepie

Visit site
We went showing - you could tell it was showing as the alarm clock was set for 4am. Lovely out in the sunshine in a huge area so lots of social distancing for lorry parking. Horse went very nicely and qualified for Hickstead RoR championship so that is jolly. He hasn't really come through in his coat yet and needs to muscle up some more but we are water treadmilling for that and doing lots of polework. Some fab reports of people doing lots of different things. I think every other lorry on the motorway was a horsebox!

milliepops

Visit site
Had a great bank hol despite the atrocious weather. OH and I managed to patch up the shelter before the rain started hosing down in the morning, was a bit tricky manhandling sheets of ply in the gales o_O but got it squared up and made safe for the grand reopening. The field horses then stood out in the rain all day afterwards, naturally :rolleyes:

Hot footed it from field to watch a friend's lesson which was inspirational and managed to snaffle some tips for myself ;)
then finished the day with baby horse cuddles :cool:

Kira continued our quest to get back to proper work this morning, half pass week continues and today we looked at canterwork, 6 strides on and off the wall a la GP zigzag which we were playing with before the ulcers, it took a fair bit of brain training to get that installed in the first place so I was v happy to find it's still in there :D

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Saturday was the holiday here, Monday normal. The relaxation work done on Saturday paid off. Yesterday canter half pass felt great. Popped in a few flying changes, and played with the gears in the canter a bit. Will bring out the double again soon and get going on on passage work again. He needs to get stronger before that though.

I took the noseband off of my bridle to accommodate this large bump (that actually is never going away) from the tooth abscess, and I kind of like it. Less to clean ? really makes no difference to him whether it's off or on.

Edited: spelling

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Had a great bank hol despite the atrocious weather. OH and I managed to patch up the shelter before the rain started hosing down in the morning, was a bit tricky manhandling sheets of ply in the gales o_O but got it squared up and made safe for the grand reopening. The field horses then stood out in the rain all day afterwards, naturally :rolleyes:

Hot footed it from field to watch a friend's lesson which was inspirational and managed to snaffle some tips for myself ;)
then finished the day with baby horse cuddles :cool:

Kira continued our quest to get back to proper work this morning, half pass week continues and today we looked at canterwork, 6 strides on and off the wall a la GP zigzag which we were playing with before the ulcers, it took a fair bit of brain training to get that installed in the first place so I was v happy to find it's still in there :D

I've been tossing around the idea of the canter half pass zigzag. Could go well or be a spectacular fail. I could see it going well the first time, but keeping him zen through it again will be a bit difficult. He has a really great canter half pass though. What sort of brain training did you have to install?