Mid June Weekend Thread

Michen

Visit site
So frustrating but I feel like hard ground is now gonna spoil lots of plans too. Sheesh.

It started off ok and they had done everything they could with aerovating but it was also quite uneven and it’s on clay so was never likely to be a winner. SJ was already entered but thought we’d walk it just incase by some miracle they’d had some rain there.

British weather eh, all or nothing ? hope you’re new horse is doing fab! X

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Went to my first in person dressage show for nearly 2 years (from lockdown etc not injury)! Pleased to say horse behaved, I rode like a pleb but hopefully more outings will help improve that ?.

Interestingly the comments and marks were spot on for what I felt the test was. I had been doing online dressage and getting disillusioned by scores and comments as they were so much lower then what I was expecting. I wonder if some horses don't come across as well online as they do in real life?

racebuddy

Visit site
Woo that's great AE!
Walked the course and feeling more excited than nervous now, although not happy about where they've put the xc start box this year ? will have to kick on!
Ive jsut been looking at rhe course map how long did u take u to walk the course ? How come u not happy?

Chippers1

Visit site
Not sure how long it took but I wasn't there too long.
The start box is on an angle this year going up a hill, sure it rides fine but I prefer it when it's flat!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Went to my first in person dressage show for nearly 2 years (from lockdown etc not injury)! Pleased to say horse behaved, I rode like a pleb but hopefully more outings will help improve that ?.

Interestingly the comments and marks were spot on for what I felt the test was. I had been doing online dressage and getting disillusioned by scores and comments as they were so much lower then what I was expecting. I wonder if some horses don't come across as well online as they do in real life?
Glad your horse behaved! That's always the most important hurdle ;).
Mine doesn't turn the "sparkle" on for online dressage/things that are filmed at home - when we go out competing it's genuinely like she shows off the audience - so she scores way lower online than IRL.

No idea what we're up to this weekend! We had a bit of rain this week so probably a gallopy hack early over the common tomorrow, surfing in the evening, then maybe schooling Sunday and surfing again in the evening. It's that time of year where I start to drift and get a bit aimless with riding, but then I have zero interest in competing again so not really sure what to do!

Bernster

Visit site
Only limited experience but mine has a bit more energy away from home and that tends to work better in his flatwork. Did a few online and got the hang of it and ended up with similar marks to what we used to get in ‘real life’.

Britestar

Visit site
Friends new horse arrived tonight, after a very lucky encounter.
So keeping an eye on her this weekend.
Sunday have an arena hire to practice DTM for up coming RC qualifier. I'm borrowing my neighbours 12.2 cob, as my horse now on prascend, so cannot compete. Should be interesting!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I wish it was true that she was quiet at home but she is always like the Duracell battery rabbit ?. The judges for online always think she is very tense when I know that she isn't, when we are at a show and she is actually a bit tense it doesn't seem to affect our marks so much. Mystery to me.

Mine also scores better in real life than on video. And he's comatose levels of relaxed in both situations ?

mavandkaz

Visit site
Not a lot going on here, mainly just hacking.
The little old mini Shetland has had another bout of uveitis, and she's not getting over it like she did the other two. So will be watching her like a hawk and the vet is on stand by if I decide to call it a day ?

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Quiet one for us after a manic few weekends - lesson tomorrow for baby Welshie and small person, so probably just going to keep it relaxed today, see if he wants to have a play in the school a bit later on when it cools down a bit. Lesson tomorrow will probably be a bit of test run-through as he wants to go out to a local dressage comp next weekend, and then no doubt another try at cantering together, he’s finally learning to fly with her!

Asha

Visit site
Congratulations AE, hope you have a fun summer with your new neddy.

We hadnt planned to do anything, then last night my instructor text saying he had a spare lesson at 2pm today . So took it and planned to get back jumping after nearly 2 years . Haven’t jumped since I had a bad fall .
The day started badly as found Asha colicking this morning , so emergency vet call. her gut sounded normal, but heart rate high . No temperature either , and no blockage . So he gave her pain relief , she’s been fine since. She’s come into season .. could that make her feel sore ? it doesn’t normally so a bit confused
Then popped for my jump lesson .. I was overwhelmed when I got there but instructor was amazing. By the end of the session we jumped a course of jumps at the dizzy height of 50cm . Super chuffed we did it ☺️

TheMule

Visit site
Congratulations AE, hope you have a fun summer with your new neddy.

We hadnt planned to do anything, then last night my instructor text saying he had a spare lesson at 2pm today . So took it and planned to get back jumping after nearly 2 years . Haven’t jumped since I had a bad fall .
The day started badly as found Asha colicking this morning , so emergency vet call. her gut sounded normal, but heart rate high . No temperature either , and no blockage . So he gave her pain relief , she’s been fine since. She’s come into season .. could that make her feel sore ? it doesn’t normally so a bit confused
Then popped for my jump lesson .. I was overwhelmed when I got there but instructor was amazing. By the end of the session we jumped a course of jumps at the dizzy height of 50cm . Super chuffed we did it ☺️

? that Asha was just feeling a bit off and all stays quiet. And well done for the jumping- enjoy the feeling!

chaps89

Visit site
That's great news AE

Lesson went well, I'm pooped now, maybe working last night then up at 6 was optimistic. Baby horse loaded and travelled nicely both ways. Verrrrrry green and sharp at the school so it was nice to have some hand holding from instructor and be given some tools on how to ride something so different.

palo1

Visit site
Well it has been hot here and I have had so little time but decided I had to hop on board M Alw for 30mins or so. I know that we need to practise canter transitions which have been ropy (we have had either 'tranter' or firing off into space) but in all honesty I wasn't keen. My flat bit of field is hard and the Snork Maiden has had several days off...

Anyhoo, clever little Miss read the situation perfectly: trundled round very nicely, gave me two much improved (in fact very good) canter transitions, showed me how she CAN leg yield on either rein and did a thoroughly decent impression of a 'keen' horse so we did a few square corners and left it there. Job done in 20mins or so; no sweating or cursing (on either part lol) and both of us feeling, I hope, that we had a bit of fun! I am really delighted as I think we both needed a bit of a boost in training terms; Alw has been working hard but I haven't always been able to communicate quite what I am asking for. I may well have imagined it today but it did feel like I asked for canter and twice we actually had a good canter right there, right then. Possibly a fluke but it was good enough for me!! :) :) I do love a clever horse and I have had this before; both my current horses have learnt to offer good stuff early on in any training session so I have no reason to prolong matters and they can go back to horsing with their friends.:D;) It doesn't take much working out who is the brains of the operation...

j1ffy

Visit site
Lunged and schooled Danny today and he looks / feels sound, so we’re off to our comp tomorrow ?. It’s going to be hot…

Here’s a question that will no doubt get polarised responses ? - do I need to plait if we’re HC? He has a big brush mane so probably will regardless, but might be tempted to chuck him on the lorry and go!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I say plait *however* I do a cross between a running plait and traditional so it takes me ten mins and only one band per plait ??.

edit: thought I should join in the thread!

I’ve mostly done garden’y stuff today of sorting out furniture options:

A47B8664-2F4F-46E0-90CB-C135A0F5AA5F.jpeg
53B37EAD-8B15-4DCE-93EB-D150151217B0.jpeg
Now just doing this:
B74411DB-D2CD-4E3A-9FA7-933CA00EFE4A.jpeg
But tomorrow I will be doing the Chester zoo fun ride!

sorry about the sideways pics...

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Lunged and schooled Danny today and he looks / feels sound, so we’re off to our comp tomorrow ?. It’s going to be hot…

Here’s a question that will no doubt get polarised responses ? - do I need to plait if we’re HC? He has a big brush mane so probably will regardless, but might be tempted to chuck him on the lorry and go!

Pleased to hear he is sound. I would plait as it's part of competing for me, and looking the part helps me feel the part. I know you are going HC, but presumably you still want to ride a good test? That said, I can plait a pony mane in 15 minutes, Danny has a much longer neck!! x

Roxylola

Visit site
Can you hog J1ffy? ?‍♀️ makes life much easier tbh. I'm a quick plaiter though so it wouldn't worry me too much to plait, although I hate a long mane to plait - shorter the better imo.
Looks like a good Saturday HP, and lots of very positive Saturday reports. Joining the band wagon as we had a great arena hire, jumped some show jumps - clear apart from where we had a dispute about what leg we'd land on ? - he prefers left, but sometimes we _need_ right.
Then we jumped the 80 solids, so we jumped the 90 solids and that went well, so we jumped the 100 fences ?
Not all as a course but we'd string a few together have a breather then a few more.
We finished by schooling for a right canter landing over a little rustic which he got better and more consistent at so something to practice at home. Super pleased with him at the moment.
Plan going forward is studs for grasswork keeping it small and keep asking a bit more on a surface so he learns he's more capable than he thinks ??

humblepie

Visit site

I’ve not plaited for dressage recently. Good luck tomorrow

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds like people have been busy! Another tiring day here too, went to tack shop for saddle shopping with new boy Bertie. Looooooong day but successful (ouch) with two new saddles to try which seem to fit him (big shoulders) and me (short dumpy legs) so? Bertie was a star, went really nicely given that he’s only just arrived and I’ve barely ridden him (due to no saddle).

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Put a deposit down on a gorgeous 4yo mare today, hoping to get her vetted next week. Fingers crossed this vetting goes well, feeling anxious after the last one failed. But this mare has a clean vetting from a month ago (when they bought her from Ireland) so hopefully nothing much can have gone wrong in that time?!